Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-20, 01:21 PM   #11896
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Nope

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)
Old 07-18-20, 01:36 PM   #11897
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

A monument?

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 07-18-20, 02:14 PM   #11898
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Nope, it's something useful.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)
Old 07-18-20, 02:37 PM   #11899
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Something to do with .. water?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 07-18-20, 02:46 PM   #11900
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Urft dam spillway?

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online  
Old 07-18-20, 03:09 PM   #11901
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Bravo Aktungbby you nailed it!

The Urft reservoir is a really nice place for hiking and mountain biking. And there is a booth near the dam selling coffee, sausages and very good cheese cake. When the lake is full and the water goes down the spillway it's a spectacular sight.

Over to You!

Old 07-18-20, 03:32 PM   #11902
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

well...I knew it was a spillway of some sort ; the Aztecs used to 'spill' their beating-heart sacrificial victims to the gods down the steps of their pyramids. What happened to them there is anyone's guess...I believe in reincarnation and I won't drive an Aztec to this day! B back shortly with something less juicy. I had been in a flash flood even as the Oroville spillway was dangerously close to collapse incl. the dam in 2017, causing the entire town to evacute! Tends to re-orient yer thinkin'!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 07-18-20 at 04:58 PM.
Aktungbby is online  
Old 07-18-20, 05:15 PM   #11903
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

OK WHAT"S THIS?

Aktungbby is online  
Old 07-18-20, 05:57 PM   #11904
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

The back end of a futuristic 1920s auto?
Old 07-18-20, 07:15 PM   #11905
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

JEEZE! but yes

Aktungbby is online  
Old 07-19-20, 05:22 AM   #11906
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

I've looked and looked... was it a race car?
Old 07-19-20, 06:01 AM   #11907
Catfish

1920ies is quite late for this

Old 07-19-20, 06:03 AM   #11908
Catfish

Rumpler "Tropfenwagen"?

Old 07-19-20, 06:51 AM   #11909
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Looks like you got it... I googled 1920s and pre-war 'boat tailed' cars every which-way I could, but this one never came up. Squirrel power!
Old 07-19-20, 09:24 AM   #11910
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

CATFISH takes it! The breakthrough aerodynamic passenger car was the German Rumpler “Tropfenwagen” (teardrop car) of 1921. Unlike the impractical and heavy Castagna Alfa, the Rumpler was as dramatically different (and influential) for its completely integrated and original design and engineering. It had a mid-engined W6 engine, and four wheel independent suspension using swing axles which Rumpler patented. The Tropfenwagen was tested in VW’s wind tunnel (below) in 1979, and achieved a Coefficient of drag (Cd) of 0.28; a degree of slipperiness that VW’s Passat wouldn’t equal until 1988 Used as Berlin taxis, two are known to exist.

It was a surprise to say the least, to see such a machine being conceived and built in war-struck Germany instead of being a product of flourishing US economy. It was the brainchild of Viennese engineer Edmund Rumpler, who started his career with the Nesseldorfer Waggonfabrik (the Bohemian company predecing Tatra in the current Czech town of Koprivnice) and the Berliner company Allgemeinen Motorwagen Gesellschaft before moving to Frankfurt in 1902 to start work at Adler. A year later he was the patent-holder of the swing axle which would become such a vital ingredient of 20s and 30s automobile construction. Rumpler returned to Berlin in 1906 to start his own company, freelancing as an engineering consultant to the automotive and aviation industry. Four years later he acquired the rights to fellow Austrian Igo Etrich’s Taube (‘dove’) airplane and started building it in large numbers as the Rumpler-Taube, eventually employing some 3,000 workers in two factories at Berlin-Johannisthal (the later home of the East-German EMW/DAMW racing effort) and Augsburg.

With Germany losing the war and being prohibited from manufacturing aircraft, Rumpler turned back to automobiles, founding the Rumpler Motoren Gesellschaft GmbH – but the aviational inspiration remained. His teardrop-shaped Tropfenwagen Typ 0A 104 was the star of the show at the Deutsche Automobil-Ausstellung, as its streamline, its winged fenders and its rearward arrow-banked W6 engine (commissioned from Siemens & Halske) took everybody’s breaths away. But nobody actually wanted to buy it! The aero shape was just too far ahead of its time while it didn’t help that the over-engineered 36hp water-cooled engine was unreliable and through its position behind the driving seats was taking away vital storage space.

Rumpler entered into a licensing deal with Benz in 1925 to place Benz’s 2.6-litre 50hp engine in the back, and converted back to traditional fenders too to create the Typ 4A 106 follow-up, even switching to front-wheel drive as a last resort, but it was too little (or perhaps too much) too late. The remaining Tropfenwagen, of which only a hundred were built, were sold off cheaply to Berlin taxi drivers while the rest of them were ritually burned to the ground at the end of Fritz Lang’s famous masterpiece Metropolis, having been sold at bare value to movie company UFA.

Last edited by Aktungbby; 07-19-20 at 09:34 AM.
Aktungbby is online  
Closed Thread