SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-08-10, 01:22 AM   #1156
moscowexile
Navy Dude

Downloads: 206
Uploads: 0

Ahoy there Cheapskate!

You may still be in your hammock now, shipmate, because of the time difference (it's 9 o'clock in the morning here, 6 a.m. GMT), but I have found the answer to my question above.

I have not opened an Elevated Command Prompt with Administrator Privileges in Windows Vista as per instruction in Krabb's patch because I have a Win7 OS.

I will give it a go though and see what happens.

(The lust for destruction is at the same time a creative lust.- Mikhail Bukhanin.)
moscowexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 03:06 AM   #1157
moscowexile
Navy Dude

The elevated command prompt is an option that Krabb suggests using with Windows Vista: my OS is Win7.

(The lust for destruction is at the same time a creative lust.- Mikhail Bukhanin.)
Old 01-08-10, 03:09 AM   #1158
Reichsjager
Swabbie

Downloads: 32

What I want to know, is where is the torpedoe training area??

I'm still using 3.0 (dl-ing 4.1 as I type this) btu I never got to find that blasted Torpedoe Target Practise area!
Reichsjager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 04:08 AM   #1159
HanSolo78
Sea Lord

Downloads: 100
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reichsjager View Post
What I want to know, is where is the torpedoe training area??

I'm still using 3.0 (dl-ing 4.1 as I type this) btu I never got to find that blasted Torpedoe Target Practise area!
It is just east before the isle Fehmarn!
But be carefull the Luftwaffe is also making there practice.
Old 01-08-10, 06:51 AM   #1160
Cheapskate
XO

Downloads: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscowexile View Post
Ahoy there Cheapskate!

You may still be in your hammock now, shipmate, because of the time difference (it's 9 o'clock in the morning here, 6 a.m. GMT), but I have found the answer to my question above.

I have not opened an Elevated Command Prompt with Administrator Privileges in Windows Vista as per instruction in Krabb's patch because I have a Win7 OS.

I will give it a go though and see what happens.
A very belated Good Morning/Afternoon Moscowexile

Apologies for any confusion caused by my misconception over the way Krabb's Vista/Win7 patch works. I was basing my comments on -

1) Krabb's post no 1129 (this thread):-

Did you execute the commands described in the readme (bcdedit etc.)?

2) Step 4 in the readme accompanying his download of same..... which I discovered that I'd obtained in the days when I thought Win7 would be able to handle SH3 without problem.

As I mentioned earlier I'm still using XP, although I've skimmed through Koroush Ghazi's excellent Tweaking Companion for Win7:-

http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

On reflection I really shouldn't have commented on an OS which I'm not running. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Absolutely no knowledge can be positively life threatening

The main thing is: How are things now? Getting vanilla SH3 to work was a good start. Have you been able to get any modded version going?
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 07:17 AM   #1161
danasan
Elite Spam Hunter

Downloads: 39

Hello there,

as far as I can see, bcdedit etc is used when you run a 32bit OS because of the RAM adressing space limited to 2 GB for programs. If you have 4 GB, it gives only 2 GB to an app. It should not be needed with a 64 bit OS.

So, what is going on? Do you have a vanilla SH3 running?

Sorry about the campaign files, I made a mistake. It is the one without mines... I apologize, but it was late here...
danasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 07:50 AM   #1162
Krabb
Navy Dude

danasan is right, bcdedit stuff is used on 32 bit OS. The instruction refers only to Vista, because Win7 hasn't been released yet when I was writing it. I have not tested Win7, but apparently, it (32 bit version) also requires you to enter these commands.
Krabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 08:29 AM   #1163
moscowexile
Navy Dude

Ahoy there shipmates!

Yes, it was getting late in Moscow when I closed down my station just as the morning watch began, and it was already middle watch in Flensburg, Kassel, and East Saxon Land, where Cheapskate slings his hammock, when we were all signalling one another last night.

For those who may still not yet know, I got SHIII running last night, but try as I might, I could not get WAC to load.

I am pretty sure now that the root of the problem must be corrupted files. At first I had dismissed this idea, reasoning that if the files that I have downloaded had been corrupted, then they would not have unpacked themselves. However, not one hour ago I downloaded yet again the three WAC files from Caratio's site in order to start all over again, when I noticed that file .003 had a volume of 318 507KB, whereas danasan has stated that the volume of the third file should be 320 504 KB.

I was about to download file 3 yet again when I thought I should give it a try and see if the three files would unpack themselves: they did, the small file 3 volume notwithstanding.

I then transferred the unpacked WAC file into my mods folder, and tried to start the modded SHIII.

As usual, the loading bar stopped at 90% and after about 3 or 4 minutes there was a CTD.

Files .001 and .002 have the correct volume as stated by danasan. I shall try to download file .003 again. Hopefully, I shall receive a file with the correct volume.

Over and out.

Old 01-08-10, 08:35 AM   #1164
HanSolo78
Sea Lord

Downloads: 100
Uploads: 3

To me it still sounds like the installation is going the wrong way.. putting archives in the jsme folder won´t chnage anything for Sh3.

here the installation order again:

Installation:

1. All files have to be from 1 server !!! (Filefront for example) http://hosted.filefront.com/HanSolo78/

2. Download and install 7-zip from http://www.7-zip.org/

3. Put all 3 archives (WarAceCampaign 4.1final_FULL_XP.z.001, WarAceCampaign4.1 final_FULL_XP.z.002, WarAceCampaign 4.1final#_FULL_XP.z.003 on the desktop

4. Left mouse click on the first part 001, then right mous click -> choose 7-zip ->extract files-> "ok"

5. Now there should be a folder called "WarAceCampaign 4.1_final FULL_XP" with a size of 4,30 GB, and 10.058 files

6. Enable the mod via ModEnabler and wait about 15-25 minutes (many files) or wait until your Harddisk LED is not lightning always

7. For WinVista/Win7 apply the 4GB Patch like described in the readme.

greetings
Han
Old 01-08-10, 09:03 AM   #1165
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

@HanSolo

Hi Han,

I notice in wac that the first person camera appears to have a light source attached to it - is this correct ? At the moment, at night, I notice a nice glow around the boat on the water surface and this mimics the incident light the boat would reflect in real life. Very immersive I have to say.

But I would like to 'tweak' this light source if possible to get the affect i've been looking for.....would you have a reference point for me to start of from ?

Cheers, UG
Old 01-08-10, 09:12 AM   #1166
moscowexile
Navy Dude

I believe you are absolutely correct, HanSolo.

I have just attempted to load WAC after having successfully opened an elevated Command prompt with administrator privileges as per the "Read Me" file in the Vista/Win7 patch.

Once again there was a CTD.

These files are just not being installed correctly or they are corrupted.

Here are some of my PC specifications:

RAM size 2.00 GB
DirectX version 4.09.00.0904
HDD - Windows partition 152 GB
HDD - Largest disk 320 GB
Video RAM 2 GB
Windows version Windows 7 (6.1.7600)
Regional settings Russian
Windows language Russian

You write about it just not being good enough trying to instal the mod simply by putting the archives into the jsme folder, adding that one must enable the mod via the ModEnabler. I agree with you entirely. But if by "ModEnabler" you mean the JScones Generic Mod Enabler v2.3.1.132, I have been doing just that all along.

Anyway, my file "WarAceCampaign_4.1_final_FULL_XP.7z.003" has just downloaded. I shall check its volume and report forthwith.

Over and out.

Old 01-08-10, 09:24 AM   #1167
moscowexile
Navy Dude

The just downloaded file .003 is the same volume as the previous one that I downloaded, namely 311 MB, which is not the correct volume as given at the beginning of this thread.

Old 01-08-10, 11:14 AM   #1168
Krabb
Navy Dude

Hmm, I think you need more RAM, at least 3 GB. The 4 GB patch has no effect on systems with no more than 2 GB of memory.
Krabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 11:21 AM   #1169
Cheapskate
XO

Downloads: 47

@ danasan & Krabb

Thanks for your comments Gentlemen

Let me explain: I don't have a problem. Although I do have a copy of Win7 ultimate I have not tried to install it yet. At the moment I am still using XP and I don't intend running SH3 on anything else. When I do install Win7 it will only be used for programmes which I'm sure are completely compatible with it.

My comments to Moscowexile were intended to help him in some way to solve his difficulties. It seemed to me that the symptoms he reports indicate a memory problem. I was looking for ways in which this may have occurred.

Unfortunately I looked at Krabb's patch and totally misconstrued how it worked. Hence my uninformed comments. Sorry about the confusion.

@ Moscowexile

Note you have decided to go the redownload route. Haven't got anything much to say about the integrity of Carotio's mirror except that my install was based on an identical file set to the the one you initially downloaded (including the 311mb vol003). It works perfectly. I have no problem whatsoever in starting a career. All elements, Museum, Training and Single Missions (including Happy Times) load and run without problem.

WAC 4.1 seems to be the most stable and smoothest running version ever and I've been using it since version 2.1. The only problem I've had is difficulty in getting out of Wilhelmshaven without colliding with the dock gates. If corruption is an issue then surely I would have suffered the same problems as you are getting?

Anyhow, I wish you well with your endeavours to get it running. Your persistence is admirable and deserves a far better reward than a partially functioning WAC.

BTW, I hope I'm not going to be up on a fizzer for being late on watch today.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 11:59 AM   #1170
moscowexile
Navy Dude

I shall buy some RAM tomorrow.

I really thought that when I bought this new rig of mine three weeks ago, I should have enough RAM for the foreseeable future, but it seems that WAC's demands are far in excess of what I had expected.

This PC handles Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1 and 2 with ease, likewise Call of Duty World at War, Batman Arkham Asylum and the myriads of unfortunate Roman legionaries that regularly get their comeuppance off hordes of hairy arsed barbarians that lurk for them in the dark Teutonic forests of Europa Barbarorum; with War Ace Campaign, however, my computer RAM, it seems, is strained beyond its limits.

Be that as it may, these huge memory demands that WAC has only whets my appetite even more for setting out on my first patrol with this program.