SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-07-10, 05:04 PM   #1141
HanSolo78
Sea Lord

Downloads: 100
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscowexile View Post
Have I been following correct procedure?

I think not.

Have I rather to put the patch file into the SHIII folder before clicking the patch .exe file?

Over and out.
Actually the patch .exe file can be anywhere.. just start the .exe and choose the Sh3.exe file. That should be enough to get WAC working. nothing else to do!
Then it should work... it it does not... I don´t know why.

Typically the 90% loading problem is almost always a sign of Vista/Win7 problem in the campaign and the naval school works.

greetings
Han
Old 01-07-10, 05:10 PM   #1142
danasan
Elite Spam Hunter

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0

As long as you run Win 7 64bit, it should have been it. Have you still a clean vanilla SH3 which is functional? If so, I would make a copy of the whole thing (folder SilentHunter3) for backup and do not touch that... Just copy and paste somewhere.

It could be a good idea to use multiSH3 for testing LSH, GWX and so on. You should find it here:

http://www.lsh3.com/v5/tools.html

If GWX and / or LSH works, it could be a case of corrupted WAC files when downloaded or enlarged.

I would try a MOD first, which you know of, that it once worked for you

@Han: Sorry Han, I was still typing the same thing at the same time... Is there any checksum for WAC? You know, to compare the downloaded/original files?
danasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 05:26 PM   #1143
moscowexile
Navy Dude

Downloads: 206

I did a checksum of the downloaded WAC files after recieving the following message from Cheapskate in which he incliuded Caratio's identifiers for the files:

"A quick way to discover whether any of your downloads have been corrupted would be to use a hash check utility such as this one:-

http://sanity-free.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=20

After download (the button is at the end of the write-up), just run the exe file which will open up a window. Make sure Md5 is selected then simply drag each of the files (exactly as originally downloaded) in turn into the window. You should see a series of digits within a matter of seconds.

Carotio's download should show the following identifiers:-

Vol 001 - 9416FFB2908EB025B69C195E70354909
Vol 002 - 4608E40A99CC5D3A029DC3B3F91C33AF
Vol 003 - D13859C1EF693393A536773BCB29F164

No need to check all the digits. Just look at the first two or three and if they match then that volume will have been downloaded correctly.

If they all match then your install problems lie elsewhere.

Hope this helps and you soon get WAC 4.1 up and running.
"

According to the check utility that I downloaded on Cheapskate's advice, the WAC files that I have been using are all sound.

Ass I have said earlier, LSH worked for me, and GWX used to: it has not worked since my abortive attempts to load WAC. However, it may work now as I found out nearly three hours ago that SHIII still loads into he PC.

(The lust for destruction is at the same time a creative lust.- Mikhail Bukhanin.)
moscowexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 06:05 PM   #1144
danasan
Elite Spam Hunter

It is becoming strange, isn't it?

- You had GWX running before, as I noticed a couple of days before
- You had LSH running before, as I noticed a couple of days before

You went through the summary. So the "basics" are fine.

- Your WAC files are not corrupted. It is not a big deal to enable it from JSGME. Yes, WAC can break the "2GB RAM border", but that is what the 4GB Patch is for... And yes, it seems to me more CPU - intensive, but I run it on a Pentium Dual Core @ 2x 1,6 GHz with no problem at all. Oh, but WAC takes a long time to load, maybe up to 15 minutes!

I do not think, WAC is that different from the others regarding the TECHNIQUE, not the gameplay...

A long time ago, it could happen that Windows did not find the end of a file (EOF), until the drive was defragmented. But that is my last idea for the moment.

Last edited by danasan; 01-07-10 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-07-10, 06:28 PM   #1145
moscowexile
Navy Dude

And I have just slotted three eels into H.M.S.Barham!

The missions section works; the training school works.

The careers section won't load after 90%

I will download the files again from Caratio's site and start from scratch again.

(The lust for destruction is at the same time a creative lust.- Mikhail Bukhanin.)
Old 01-07-10, 06:36 PM   #1146
danasan
Elite Spam Hunter

Wait a minute!

I am going to upload my original WAC campaigns ( Career ) folder for you! Try that first!

Edit: Does the museum work? If not, I guess one of the used units can be broken or is missing, but wait...

There you are: http://www.mediafire.com/danasan the file is called campaigns.7z

Last edited by danasan; 01-07-10 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-07-10, 06:56 PM   #1147
Cheapskate
XO

Downloads: 47

Would strongly advise against a redownload. The Md5 ' fingerprints ' all tally so there is nothing wrong with the files you already have.

Indeed you would not be getting as far as you are should any of them be corrupted - the volume would not even have decompressed.

You could try a defrag - it is certainly good practise to perform this after installing any large file. However I've still got the impression that memory problems are at the root of your difficulties.

Hope you have some luck soon !

PS Have just been reading a few threads on the Win 7 forums . Some of the guys on there seem to think that a reboot before running a large program seems to help. As does shutting down any large background tasks that aren't necessary for gaming.

Last edited by Cheapskate; 01-07-10 at 07:13 PM.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 07:34 PM   #1148
moscowexile
Navy Dude

That's what I've been thinking: if the files - any file - were corrupt, then they would not even have unpacked themselves. Furthermore, having reported that the missions section works, I have just found out that that is only partly true: I have since tried "Die Goldene Zeit" mission and it would not load.

The museums section did work when I first loaded the modded game: I didn't check all the items in the museum though.

So although my files have been checked and have proven themselves as uncorrupted, the evidence at least shows that they may be.

It's clutching at straws, I know, but I feel that I have no other choice but to download the files again and re-install.

Old 01-07-10, 07:43 PM   #1149
moscowexile
Navy Dude

Ahoy Cheapskate!

Yes, rebooting is always a good idea after installing a large program and I've been doing just that.

As regards shutting down unnecessary background programs, I have installed in my machine "Advanced System Care Pro" and with this program is a little gizmo called "Game Booster" that does just that, namely shuts down all programs that are running in the background. I've never used it on this new machine: never really thought it was necessary. I shall give it a go now though.

Old 01-07-10, 07:52 PM   #1150
danasan
Elite Spam Hunter

OK, if the museum does load, the units are there, because it loads all the units in the game. No need to go through them...

If you are going to DL again, I would try the files provided by HanSolo 78 on his webside. His signature provides the link. That is not because of Carotio. It is just another possibility. But give the small campaigns folder a try first.
Old 01-07-10, 08:06 PM   #1151
moscowexile
Navy Dude

Danasan, I have just downloaded your file "campaigns.7z".

Thanks a lot.

Old 01-07-10, 08:27 PM   #1152
moscowexile
Navy Dude

Ahoy there danasan!

I have just been checking the campaign flies that I already have in D:\Games\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Campaigns\Ca mpaign and the file Campaign_SCR.mis has a size given as 10 415 KB, whereas the same file that I have just downloaded has a size given as 10 029 KB.

Anyway, I shall transfer the smaller file and see what happens.

Ahoy there Cheapskate!

I have defragged and closed down unnecessary programs: no effect.

Old 01-07-10, 08:41 PM   #1153
moscowexile
Navy Dude

Once again, CTD at 90%. This was after having loaded danasan's campaign file.

Old 01-07-10, 09:51 PM   #1154
Cheapskate
XO

Downloads: 47

Still no go eh! What a darned shame.

You mentioned a while earlier that the Happy Times single mission would not run. How long did you give it to start? I have just tried it out and find that it takes somewhere about 3 minutes 20 secs to initialise on my system. If I use the Blank Campaign mod (which only loads the data necessary for the mission):-

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1082

the time is reduced to about 34 secs. Maybe you would care to give this a try to see if it then will then run for you.

As a matter of interest, LSH 5 loads the same mission a full minute faster than WAC and 10 seconds faster when the blank campaign is applied.

This gives some idea of the extra memory overhead that WAC imposes. It may be an idea to temporarily unload WAC and replace it with something a little less demanding like GWX3. Or even, as Danasan suggests, make up another install and run them both using Multi SH3.

The only other thought that occurs to my tired old brain at the moment concerns Krabb's 4gb patch. When you typed the bcedit stuff you did put the spaces between the various elements of the command i.e. between bcedit and /set etc?

"And so to bed" as Sam Pepys used to write - or was it AA Milne in Winnie the Pooh? AARGH!! I'm well and truly knackered.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 01:08 AM   #1155
moscowexile
Navy Dude

"When you typed the bcedit stuff you did put the spaces between the various elements of the command i.e. between bcedit and /set etc?"

I don't follow, Cheapskate. Krabb's 4Gb patch? When and where do you have to type in a command using that patch?

As regards how long I waited for "Happy Times" to run: there was a CTD after about 4 minutes or so.