Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-19, 08:43 AM   #11221
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 10-05-19, 10:27 AM   #11222
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

POLL OF POLLS
Going up
Cons and the LibDems

Going Down
Lab and Brx

Bouncing along
SNP

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49798197

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 10-05-19, 11:55 AM   #11223
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

It takes two to dance.

Why haven't EU set a deadline ?

So far it have only been the UK who have said they are going or hope they will leave 31 October.

Why haven't EU said something similar- Ok UK whatever deal we may agree on, your result of the referendum stand clear-you leave October 31.

Markus
Old 10-05-19, 01:49 PM   #11224
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
It takes two to dance.

Why haven't EU set a deadline ?

So far it have only been the UK who have said they are going or hope they will leave 31 October.

Why haven't EU said something similar- Ok UK whatever deal we may agree on, your result of the referendum stand clear-you leave October 31.

Markus
Because the EU does not want to let the UK go. Second largest economy of the bloc. Fourth biggest net payer into the EU budget. They want the UK to ignore the referendum - not to honour the referendum.
Old 10-05-19, 02:59 PM   #11225
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ which would be a typical "The Sun" answer, packing all the blame on the EU. If you followed the last two years and what happened in UK politics, the answer is probably not quite as easy.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 10-05-19, 04:22 PM   #11226
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

I can't say if Skybird's response to my comment is a typical "The Sun" answer

The question would rather be

Is he correct in what he wrote-That it is not in EU's interest to let UK leave ?

Markus
Old 10-05-19, 04:34 PM   #11227
Skybird
Soaring

^ States and supranational organisations have interests, and these cost money. The UK is the second biggest economy in the block, and the sixth largest economy in the world (after US, China, Japan, Germany, India). If you were the EU, mapuc, you would not let them go, too. Not if you can prevent them by any means. Without the UK, the economic weight of the block on the diplomatic parquet is significantly lighter. And there is a risk that they become kind of a beachead of more US influence in Europe (though I think the UK wojuld be stuipdiu to build its new domicile on grounds of trust in Trump, but they may have no other choice in the forseeable future).

Also, as I often said,m the EU fears that the UK could be successful in the long run, doing better, at least doing good without the EU. This would be a dangerous example. A precednece that shows others that their is a life beyond the EU, and that one can successfully leave the EU. This demonstration must be prevented at any cost. Either by preventing a leave, or by preventing prospering of the UK after a leave. The UK doing well and successful, is the worst case scenario for the EU.

I recall that some months ago, earlier this year, there were even leaked documents from two years ago or so showing that high diplomats at the EU more or less voiced exactly this ^. I think I linked it back then. Brexoit for the UK shall not be a suzccess for the UK, was the dominant premisse. Only the EU can give success and wellness, that is the narration in the block. Well, a few states that never became members in the first prove the opposite, but usually they get no news coverage for that in the media.

Last edited by Skybird; 10-05-19 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-05-19, 04:48 PM   #11228
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

^ That is true

No one can say how good or bad it will go for UK after they have left the building.

Furthermore if as you wrote, if it goes very well for UK after they have left, it could give other countries or people hope and a domino effect could be rolling.

Right now no other members(read European politicians) are frighten so they do not dare to think it-Shall we leave EU. This due to this comedy we are witness to in mostly UK.

Markus
Old 10-06-19, 03:16 AM   #11229
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

Sure but all the Brexit drama, has not been caused by the EU, its pretty much been caused internally here.
Because we have majority Leaver population and majority Remainer Parliament.

The EU has not been unreasonable do far,

Out of self preservation, they ultimately don't really want us to leave at all,
or they want us to leave with a deal more or less set on their terms, or in the case of hard Brexit, they will hope it goes badly for us so that other Skeptic member states will think twice.
I don't hold anything against them for that. they are perfectly entitled to look out for their own interests.
Anyone else would be doing the same.
Old 10-06-19, 05:12 AM   #11230
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Can't disagree with the above sentiments in the previous posts.

Much depends on which side you support.

Old 10-06-19, 05:15 AM   #11231
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Boris Johnson has claimed his Brexit proposals have picked up support in Parliament as he urged the European Union to compromise.

Writing in two Sunday papers he said: "We are leaving in 25 days. We can do it with a deal if the EU is willing."

Meanwhile, Brexit Secretary Stephen Barclay told the EU and opposition MPs: "We are not backing down."

The UK offer must not be "take it or leave it", Latvia's Prime Minister Krisjanis Karins told the BBC.

Talks are due to resume on Monday as both parties try to find a new agreement in time for a crucial summit of European leaders on 17-18 October.

But arrangements for preventing a hard border on the island of Ireland continue to be a sticking point, with the EU calling for "fundamental changes" to the UK's latest proposals.

Ireland's taoiseach Leo Varadkar said he believes a deal is possible but said current proposals do not go far enough.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49950188
Perhaps there is still a small glimmer of hope remaining.

Old 10-06-19, 06:11 AM   #11232
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Writing in the Sun on Sunday and the Sunday Express, Mr Johnson said: "After decades of campaigning, three years of arguments and seemingly endless months of pointless delay, it is now just 25 days until the UK's membership of the European Union comes to an end.

"We will be packing our bags and walking out on 31 October. The only question is whether Brussels cheerily waves us off with a mutually agreeable deal, or whether we will be forced to head off on our own."
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...id=mailsignout
I'll say one thing for you Boris, you certainly have a way with words

Old 10-06-19, 06:50 AM   #11233
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Bojo has told us sod sweet all and how the heck is he going to leave the EU without a deal and breaking the law.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 10-06-19, 07:00 AM   #11234
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Where there is a will there is usually a way.

Old 10-06-19, 07:08 AM   #11235
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Where there is a will there is usually a way.
And sometimes the wall proves to be thicker than the head slamming against it. The revelations before that scottish court that the govenrment will ask for a delay, have left him wepainless in Brussel. Brussels now has even less any reason to accept anything. The only hope is that some EU nation's head of state indeed is so pissed now and blocks any EU agreeing to a delay. The agreeing on a delay must be unanimously. Maybe Johnson can provoke an according incident.

Tags
british, politics