SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-26-08, 11:21 PM   #1081
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Charlie
Some of my friends, who I'm pretty sure are running RSRDC also reported not seeing anything around Midway during the battle dates.
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-08, 12:16 AM   #1082
Doolittle81
Commodore

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Niner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolittle81
I tried just sitting outside the Java port and sending status reports hoping for a new mission, but no luck.
You won't be assigned a new mission unless you've completed the current one.
I completed the Luzon Patrol Mission...TWICE. I can't now sail to Luzon from Java and get back to Java.
Doolittle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-08, 12:59 AM   #1083
Suicide Charlie
Wild Night in Bangkok

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker_hlb3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Charlie
Some of my friends, who I'm pretty sure are running RSRDC also reported not seeing anything around Midway during the battle dates.
Oh I'm not doubting you did the battle justice. It's more of a sign of their incompetence.
Old 06-27-08, 02:20 AM   #1084
Doolittle81
Commodore

Quote:
Quote:
I'm running RSRD 355 patch 6.

I was sent from Manila to patrol off north of Luzon, near Formosa twice in a row. Manila fell to Japs before I returned so I managed(just barely) to sail all the way to Java, my new Base. (By the Way, I didn't see any message telling me to do so)

I have now been given the Same mission, again....but no way am I going to sail all the way to that same Patrol Area north of the P.I. Is this a glitch? How do I get out of the same repeating mission? I tried just sitting outside the Java port and sending status reports hoping for a new mission, but no luck.

Sorry if this has been asked/explained before...
Ok

Require the standard “trouble shooting” info:

Start date?
Type of sub?
What command?

Sargo Sub

1st patrol Manila Dec 10 Sent to the Luzon Patrol Star. Returned and refitted, then went out again and finished patrol returning to Manila.

2nd Patrol Manila Dec 23 Sent to Luzon Star. Completed Mission (star turned grey)...Manila no longer a port, so i went to new Homebase at Surabaya. Arrived, barely. Mission Completed (Star portion). I might not have completed 'sinking of Merchants' mission....I'm not sure.

3rd Patrol Surabaya Jan 28 Mission again is to go ALL the way back up to the same Luzon Star.....Can't get there and back, I'm sure.

Something is not right.
Old 06-27-08, 04:05 AM   #1085
399nkov
Bosun

Downloads: 20

I remember having that same setup and thinking, can I make it. Using the Porpoise, as I remember, I made it OK at 10 knots. Just had to watch out for any prolonged chases at full or flank speed. I had enough fuel for a safe return to home base, Surabaya.

As for finding targets on patrols, you just have to learn the convoy routes. I've been using RSRD since its beginning and have always been able to find targets.
399nkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-08, 04:47 AM   #1086
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil
Since running RSRD and having virtually completed an entire war career I have never seen more than a single ship and zero convoy sightings. Is RSRD OVER accurate? Also, when I get a message about an IJN impending location and am able to arrive before time, and lurk, - nothing happens.
You have to use some logic when determining where the ships are likely to be in your patrol zone. Some of the more fruitful ones are:
  • Chokepoints
  • Approaches to major ports (i.e., Truk, Rabaul)
  • Near the coastlines
In addition, do download the map image posted up above. It gives a good idea of where the ships are in RSRDC. In my latest patrol (July - August 1943) I picked off 4 single merchants traveling in the vicinity of the Marshall Islands. You've just gotta know where to look for them.

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-08, 06:57 AM   #1087
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm running RSRD 355 patch 6.

I was sent from Manila to patrol off north of Luzon, near Formosa twice in a row. Manila fell to Japs before I returned so I managed(just barely) to sail all the way to Java, my new Base. (By the Way, I didn't see any message telling me to do so)

I have now been given the Same mission, again....but no way am I going to sail all the way to that same Patrol Area north of the P.I. Is this a glitch? How do I get out of the same repeating mission? I tried just sitting outside the Java port and sending status reports hoping for a new mission, but no luck.

Sorry if this has been asked/explained before...
Ok

Require the standard “trouble shooting” info:

Start date?
Type of sub?
What command?
Sargo Sub

1st patrol Manila Dec 10 Sent to the Luzon Patrol Star. Returned and refitted, then went out again and finished patrol returning to Manila.

2nd Patrol Manila Dec 23 Sent to Luzon Star. Completed Mission (star turned grey)...Manila no longer a port, so i went to new Homebase at Surabaya. Arrived, barely. Mission Completed (Star portion). I might not have completed 'sinking of Merchants' mission....I'm not sure.

3rd Patrol Surabaya Jan 28 Mission again is to go ALL the way back up to the same Luzon Star.....Can't get there and back, I'm sure.

Something is not right.

Will look into it
Old 06-27-08, 02:46 PM   #1088
Doolittle81
Commodore

Okay. I went on and sailed all the way to North of Luzon. The star greyed out Very quickly, but I loitered for another full 48 hours anyway. I returned to Surabaya. Docked as End of patrol. It showed I had completed the Luzon mission, but had not completed secondary of sinking merchant shipping. Next patrol, date Feb 11...I get the same Luzon Patrol Mission!
Old 06-27-08, 02:59 PM   #1089
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Okay. I went on and sailed all the way to North of Luzon. The star greyed out Very quickly, but I loitered for another full 48 hours anyway. I returned to Surabaya. Docked as End of patrol. It showed I had completed the Luzon mission, but had not completed secondary of sinking merchant shipping. Next patrol, date Feb 11...I get the same Luzon Patrol Mission!
I really do think you have to sink those ships to move on. See, your first objective is to reach the Luzon. Once done, you must sink ships. If you did not, then the game will send you back until that objective is done.
Old 06-27-08, 03:09 PM   #1090
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
What you have is a corrupted install. With the repeating “Luzon Strait” mission the system is saying “I can’t find the correct mission”. I strongly recommend you deinstall all mods, confirm that that you have a “clean” SH4 1.5 install, the reinstall RSRDC_v355_for_V15 and then RSRDC_V355_Patch6. Just a FYI, the file that controls all the mission assignments has not change since it was first put out in March. I conducted a systems check today and patrol assignments are being generated correctly.
Old 06-27-08, 03:33 PM   #1091
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 74

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dodger
Is the Battle of Wake Island included in RSRDC?

I'm using:
SH4 v1.4
Trigger Maru Overhaul
RSRDC_P3_TMO_V325

Perhaps Wake was added later?
The Battle of Wake Island is not accurately represented in RSRDC. There are some IJN units that are in the general area of Wake during the “second” attempt to invade Wake in late Dec 1941.
OK, thanks for confirming. Not really a big surprise since Wake happened so early in the war. This has been the first time in any career that I have been able to get out of Pearl and into a good position early enough to maybe 'Change History'.

Maybe 'someone' out there will develop an early war/Wake Island 'War Patrol' or 'Single Mission'. Perhaps one already exists, and I just haven't found it. Comments? Suggestions? Just for curious, How accurate is RSRDC for the Philippines area in Dec., '41?

I've also been doing some research on 'who was where' on Dec 7, 1941. I was pleasently surprised to find out that we had a pretty substantial submarine force already in place at both Pearl and Manila. Good thing the Japs concentrated on Capitol Ships, and pretty much left the sub force alone as 'not worth the trouble'. I've only worked up as far as the Salmon Class boats, but here is a short breakdown:

Manila/Philippines Theater:
4-S-Boats
6-Porpose Class (2 refitting Cavite)
5-Salmon Class (1 refitting Cavite, 1 'on patrol')

Pearl Harbor:
0-S-Boats
2-'V' Boats (Barracuda and Argonaut)
1-Narwhal Class (Narwhal was docked at Pearl, the Nautilus was refitting San Diego)
Dolphin (a 'V-7' boat) was docked Pearl, and was one of the first units to start firing back.
3-Porpoise Class (Plunger was docked, Pollack and Pompano were en route, arrived Pearl on 9 Dec.)

I haven't worked on the Tambor or Mackerel Class boats yet. The first Gato Class boat was not commissioned until 31 Dec., 1941, so there weren't any Gatos available.

Concerning the Battle of Midway:
I did manage to get into the vicinity of the battle, and was able to act as a spectator on the external camera. Pretty exciting! Unfortunatly, I was never able to get into a good shooting position (I was commanding the Narwhal at the time). Thanks to whomever got the battle graphics together for Midway. Better than the movie!!
Old 06-27-08, 04:31 PM   #1092
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Niner
Quote:
I tried just sitting outside the Java port and sending status reports hoping for a new mission, but no luck.
You won't be assigned a new mission unless you've completed the current one.
You could just rearm and 'fill-er-up' at Jave, THEN finish your mission, rather than ending your patrol and getting the same one again.

BTW, I have been able to start in Java, go to the Luzon area, and return in an S-Boat! Remember, I said I did it, I didn't say it was easy (and I didn't say how many times I tried it, either )
Old 06-27-08, 05:14 PM   #1093
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Is the Battle of Wake Island included in RSRDC?

I'm using:
SH4 v1.4
Trigger Maru Overhaul
RSRDC_P3_TMO_V325

Perhaps Wake was added later?
The Battle of Wake Island is not accurately represented in RSRDC. There are some IJN units that are in the general area of Wake during the “second” attempt to invade Wake in late Dec 1941.
OK, thanks for confirming. Not really a big surprise since Wake happened so early in the war. This has been the first time in any career that I have been able to get out of Pearl and into a good position early enough to maybe 'Change History'.

Maybe 'someone' out there will develop an early war/Wake Island 'War Patrol' or 'Single Mission'. Perhaps one already exists, and I just haven't found it. Comments? Suggestions? Just for curious, How accurate is RSRDC for the Philippines area in Dec., '41?

I've also been doing some research on 'who was where' on Dec 7, 1941. I was pleasently surprised to find out that we had a pretty substantial submarine force already in place at both Pearl and Manila. Good thing the Japs concentrated on Capitol Ships, and pretty much left the sub force alone as 'not worth the trouble'. I've only worked up as far as the Salmon Class boats, but here is a short breakdown:

Manila/Philippines Theater:
4-S-Boats
6-Porpose Class (2 refitting Cavite)
5-Salmon Class (1 refitting Cavite, 1 'on patrol')

Pearl Harbor:
0-S-Boats
2-'V' Boats (Barracuda and Argonaut)
1-Narwhal Class (Narwhal was docked at Pearl, the Nautilus was refitting San Diego)
Dolphin (a 'V-7' boat) was docked Pearl, and was one of the first units to start firing back.
3-Porpoise Class (Plunger was docked, Pollack and Pompano were en route, arrived Pearl on 9 Dec.)

I haven't worked on the Tambor or Mackerel Class boats yet. The first Gato Class boat was not commissioned until 31 Dec., 1941, so there weren't any Gatos available.

Concerning the Battle of Midway:
I did manage to get into the vicinity of the battle, and was able to act as a spectator on the external camera. Pretty exciting! Unfortunatly, I was never able to get into a good shooting position (I was commanding the Narwhal at the time). Thanks to whomever got the battle graphics together for Midway. Better than the movie!!

The 1941 Invasion of the PI is accurate
Old 06-27-08, 05:31 PM   #1094
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Default The right update?

Just to be sure that I'm reading post #1 correctly, RSRDC_TMOv15_V371.7z (filefront name) is the latest update to RSRDC when using Trigger Maru Overhaul, yes?

Now, which TMO should I be installing? I guess its time to take the plunge and get SH4 v1.5. I have no interest in U-Boats, but to continue to use your really neat-o mods, I'm gonna have to do it.

. . . and its only $10.
Old 06-27-08, 05:50 PM   #1095
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Just to be sure that I'm reading post #1 correctly, RSRDC_TMOv15_V371.7z (filefront name) is the latest update to RSRDC when using Trigger Maru Overhaul, yes?

Now, which TMO should I be installing? I guess its time to take the plunge and get SH4 v1.5. I have no interest in U-Boats, but to continue to use your really neat-o mods, I'm gonna have to do it.

. . . and its only $10.
Yes and you will also need patch9. The latest TMO is 152