Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-19, 05:56 AM   #10741
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Toxteth was 1981, and Jim was still younger and juicy back then. Riot police does not send the oldest horses to the streets, but the young panthers.
Old 08-28-19, 05:58 AM   #10742
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraznyi_oktjabr View Post
What would happen, if Her Majesty refused to follow HM Government's advice? I would propably just instruct BoJo to "do your damn job!" rather than consent to this nonsense.
That is the million dollar question.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 08-28-19, 06:04 AM   #10743
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraznyi_oktjabr View Post
Which one of them? According to the Wikipedia there have been four riots in Brixton: 1981, 1985, 1995 and 2011. Did you have opportunity to "enjoy" all of them or just one?
Two actually (1981). IIRC Brixton was March/April and no sooner had the reinforcements been returned to their usual Force area then Toxteth flared up in June/july (a copycat IMHO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Toxteth was 1981, and Jim was still younger and juicy back then. Riot police does not send the oldest horses to the streets, but the young panthers.
Correctamundo, in those days I could comfortably hold a six foot riot shield and carbon baton

Old 08-28-19, 06:17 AM   #10744
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

In those days the police were real police and took no stick from these wet behind the ears bleeding heart liberals that have destroyed our once great police force.

Jim...

Back on the big news today I am not buying that guff about the queen's speech bit that is so lame of an excuse by bojo.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 08-28-19, 06:54 AM   #10745
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
A group of parliamentarians has asked Scotland's top civil court to block Boris Johnson's bid to suspend parliament next month.

The 75 pro-Remain politicians launched their legal bid at the Court of Session in Edinburgh last month.

A judge is due to hear the case 6 September - but the group is now seeking to speed up the legal process.

The legal challenge to the move was launched in the Scottish courts last month, and is being headed by SNP MP Joanna Cherry and Liberal Democrat leader Jo Swinson, aided by Jo Maugham of the Good Law Project.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-49496517
This is getting silier by the hour. A Scottish court is being asked to make a decision on something the English courts have yet to potentially give a ruling on.

Old 08-28-19, 07:53 AM   #10746
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Boris Johnson has asked the Queen to suspend parliament from the middle of next month, which will restrict MPs' ability to block a no-deal Brexit.

Under the government's plan, which has prompted a furious political row, parliament will be prorogued from the week beginning 9 September until 14 October.

This is the date on which a new Queen's Speech - detailing the legislative agenda of Mr Johnson's administration - will be held.

However, House of Commons Speaker John Bercow claimed it was "blindingly obvious that the purpose of prorogation now would be to stop parliament debating Brexit and performing its duty in shaping a course for the country".

He called it a "constitutional outrage". https://news.sky.com/story/pm-boris-...ember-11795978
Boris is certainly determined to "Do or die"

Old 08-28-19, 07:59 AM   #10747
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Corbyn asks to meet Queen over PM's 'smash and grab' plan to suspend parliament https://news.sky.com/story/parliamen...tator-11795990
If you're going to allow the bin dipper an audience ma'am I'd suggest you lock away the family silver first.

Old 08-28-19, 10:16 AM   #10748
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The Queen has given her consent to Boris request for the prorogation of Parliament and in all fairness to her she had very little wriggle room to make any kind of political decision because.....the Queen acts on the advice of her prime minister.

Old 08-28-19, 11:56 AM   #10749
kraznyi_oktjabr
Sea Lord

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
The Queen has given her consent to Boris request for the prorogation of Parliament and in all fairness to her she had very little wriggle room to make any kind of political decision because.....the Queen acts on the advice of her prime minister.
No surprise and understandable. However these kind of situations raise one important question: if the Queen does not have power to scrutinize morally or legally questionable advice, then why such position should exist? I'm not saying, that Her Majesty should be granted power to completely overrule HM Government, but power to subject such questionalble advice to parliamentary vote, would be sensible in my opinion.
Old 08-28-19, 12:15 PM   #10750
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

After have following your comments in this thread and by following the news in Denmark, Sweden and a little in German

I understand why B.J. Toke this step.

Furthermore The Parliament shouldn't pointing fingers at B.J. and accuse him for...(forgot the word) ´cause the way they have acted or lack of acting in the Brexit, show that they(the parliament) have the biggest fault.

The British people voted for a Brexit-Please respect this.

Markus
mapuc is online  
Old 08-28-19, 12:30 PM   #10751
STEED
Lucky Jack

Ruth Davidson could be going...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49502861

Of course this will not dent bojo in any way.

Nor will this...

https://news.sky.com/story/hundreds-...ament-11796215

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 08-28-19, 02:04 PM   #10752
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Furthermore The Parliament shouldn't pointing fingers at B.J. and accuse him for...(forgot the word) ´cause the way they have acted or lack of acting in the Brexit, show that they(the parliament) have the biggest fault.
100% correct.

Also, Corbyn has no point to make if meeting the Queen. In these days, its Her Majesty's government by name only - not by meaning.

Formally, Johnson, as far as I understand the British system, has practiced means of the PM's legal, formally encoded powers, with precedences of PMs before having done it, too.

A parliament that has made such a foul joke and hilarious carricature of itself in past months, has no moral ground to claim anymore. If now they get outmanouvered, the only ones they have to accuse for that, are themselves.

Johnson really sets upa a fight on all fronts, it seems. It was this kind aggressiveness that I expected from the british side from day one after the referendum on - and practiced against the EU.

This crisis comes from a disagreement on what modern "democracy" should be. Is the will of the voting majoirty of the people at its focus, or is the will of a small fraudulent wannabe-elite that creeps to and usurps power at its focus by using decepetion, bribery, fraud and lies? Both is not what the ancient Greek idea was about, so do not even try to start loooking there, ancient Greek and modern contemporary democracy are two totally different things, the one being the antagonist to the other.
Old 08-29-19, 04:20 AM   #10753
Skybird
Soaring

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49504526

Johnson said "The candyfloss of outrage we've had over the last 24 hours, which I think is almost entirely confected, is from people who never wanted to leave the European Union," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme. "This is the greatest period of anger for them, or of confected anger, because after 31 October we will have left," he added.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...onstitutional/

Reese-Moog said the only "constitutional crisis" was being caused by those who opposed the decision of the 2016 referendum. Think of him what you want, he is right with that.
Old 08-29-19, 05:10 AM   #10754
STEED
Lucky Jack

So the resignations have started with some guy in the HoL's and now this..

Quote:
Ruth Davidson has quit as leader of the Scottish Conservatives

Bojo has sealed his fate what that is time will tell and yet they are all a bloody disgrace acting like a load of dickheads. This bloody mess has shown these B'stards are bloody unfit the whole bloody lot of them should be sacked.

STOP VOTING FOR MORONS!

Old 08-29-19, 05:28 AM   #10755
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
STOP VOTING FOR MORONS!

Why saying it twice? Stop voting. Morons they all are. Else they would not be up for voting.

Tags
british, politics