SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-03-11, 03:24 PM   #1051
Schwieger
Commodore

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0

Are they going to be as large as the ones you posted here?

Support U-Boot_HAHD: Install Dropbox Click Here & Increase The Teams Dropbox space and get 2.25GB of free online Storage space for yourself.
Schwieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 03:36 PM   #1052
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Downloads: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwieger View Post
Are they going to be as large as the ones you posted here?
Hi mate,

No they will be approximately similar to those here maybe just a tad bigger if we can

Best regards Hans

Hans Witteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 08:44 PM   #1053
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Witteman View Post
Hi mate,

Nice to see that the tutorials are starting to show their purpose

I will upload the next tutorial tomorrow because right now i am struggling with the damn crew, i have made great looking crew with correct 3d uniform and hat but so far i try all kind of way to replaced the original mesh with the new one and still have that vertices mess in CR.

What we need is a script to export the original mesh with the skeletal rig and many modders in others games have done this without too much problem so we only need someone who know enough scripting to write one that can export the mesh with skeletal info and we would be able to change the crew finally.

Maybe granny could be used to do that combine with some script from the 3d programm.

The reason vertices are all mess up is because of animation the minute you move one single vertex the whole mesh go awkward!

I am on this reading everything i can find on the matter for about 2 days that why i am so quiet.

I won't be happy until i make a breakthrough on that.

Any help to change those crew models or being able to modify them will be welcome from anyone who can help

Maybe for the smileys you need the html code include in page source?

Best regards Hans
Are you trying to export keyframes from Animations? And then import them back in? If so I have an application I wrote that will do that. The only thing required is that the number of vertices exported must match the numbers of vertices imported back in for each keyframe.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 02:55 AM   #1054
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Are you trying to export keyframes from Animations? And then import them back in? If so I have an application I wrote that will do that. The only thing required is that the number of vertices exported must match the numbers of vertices imported back in for each keyframe.

Hi mate,

For the moment i am just trying to reshape the character contour to fit the coastal boot uniform but you already know that just moving one single vertex will screw the mesh in game.

Another example is i would like to be able to pull down the collar inside the body but even with the same number of vertices i cannot move any one of them to better fit the shape to accept the new uniform design.

Also i would like to reshape the NCO waist so i can adapt the refeer jacket to it but again same old story cannot move any vertex.

For sure the ideal solution would be to completely replace the base mesh but no one so far was ever able to do it

If your tool can let me move vertices just a bit and re export the model in game that would be a big life saver because only to adapt the shape of the character to the new uniform type i don't need to change the vertices amount at all.

So yes if it can do this, those uniform will look a lot better. If it can do that just send it to me and i will give it a try

Thank for helping i am so frustrated that with all the fantastic advancement we made in years of hard work so far no customized character are possible to replace the based one!

I also saw that Swkasjer included collada export in S3D editor but there is no import option because now there is a new import/export tool call Opencollada regularly update and you can import/export skeletal info so i wonder if there would be a lot of work to finish the import code?

Best regards Hans

Old 04-04-11, 06:57 AM   #1055
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3232

Quote:
Hi mate,

Nice to see that the tutorials are starting to show their purpose

I will upload the next tutorial tomorrow because right now i am struggling with the damn crew, i have made great looking crew with correct 3d uniform and hat but so far i try all kind of way to replaced the original mesh with the new one and still have that vertices mess in CR.

What we need is a script to export the original mesh with the skeletal rig and many modders in others games have done this without too much problem so we only need someone who know enough scripting to write one that can export the mesh with skeletal info and we would be able to change the crew finally.

Maybe granny could be used to do that combine with some script from the 3d programm.

The reason vertices are all mess up is because of animation the minute you move one single vertex the whole mesh go awkward!

I am on this reading everything i can find on the matter for about 2 days that why i am so quiet.

I won't be happy until i make a breakthrough on that.

Any help to change those crew models or being able to modify them will be welcome from anyone who can help

Maybe for the smileys you need the html code include in page source?

Best regards Hans
Also IŽm working in a ship, all works fine until now...

When IŽll have the ship ended, IŽll send it to HAHD mail.

Working also in the research (more images coming soon).

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 08:35 AM   #1056
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

The tool I was referring to doesn't modify the base mesh. It only exports/imports the animation keyframes. I can make a tool to export/import base mesh. Wouldn't be very difficult to do as 80% of the code base has already been done. It would export to .obj format.
Old 04-04-11, 09:17 AM   #1057
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42

you are creating great stuff, tdw.

urfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 09:41 AM   #1058
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

@Hans: why can't you use Pack3D to export/import all the meshes? It will export/import every mesh along with the textures (Type 1/101 nodes) in .dat files
Old 04-04-11, 11:45 AM   #1059
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo
Hi mate,

Great to see that you progress are doing well

Can't wait to see your first work release

Best regards Hans

Old 04-04-11, 11:56 AM   #1060
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
The tool I was referring to doesn't modify the base mesh. It only exports/imports the animation keyframes. I can make a tool to export/import base mesh. Wouldn't be very difficult to do as 80% of the code base has already been done. It would export to .obj format.

Hi mate,

Thank for helping but doing a tool to import/export as OBJ is already done in S3d and OBJ is only good for static object.

I know we can also export each frame of animation as obj but this doesn't solve our dilemma with bones animation .

What would be very fantastic is a collada import/export because we can then extract the bones with the mesh and animation this way we can make complete new character.

If no one want to give it a try i will try it myself i am not very good at programming but since i know the 3d terminology for animation and bones system i can ask my programmer friend to lay a hand on that.

I saw a collada import/export script that was fitting in one page of code only so it doesn't seem like a titanesk job to me

If only i could be able to move vertex on original base character mesh the pain would be at least bearable.

Best regards Hans

Old 04-04-11, 11:58 AM   #1061
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo
Nice one mate, which one are you working on.

I'm doing the NF_boat_1, Brett I believe is doing the NF_boat.
Hans was using the NF_boat_2 in the tutorial are you using the same or have you another model your working on .

Not to important that were working on the sames ones now, once we are up and running we can assign different models so as not to be redoing others work.

But for not its best we just pick one of the 3 fishing boats to learn the process.

Look forward to seeing everyone's results.

@ Hans can you mail me your redone Fletcher model and texture. Want to do an experiment to check that random skins is working as normal
reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 12:00 PM   #1062
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
@Hans: why can't you use Pack3D to export/import all the meshes? It will export/import every mesh along with the textures (Type 1/101 nodes) in .dat files
Hi mate,

Maybe it is because i don't know pack3D but S3D is doing the job correctly in that department correct me if i am wrong on this one?

But if pack3D can import/export bones then it is another story.

I will test another trick in my 3d arsenal.

Best regards Hans

Old 04-04-11, 12:15 PM   #1063
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper7 View Post
Nice one mate, which one are you working on.

I'm doing the NF_boat_1, Brett I believe is doing the NF_boat.
Hans was using the NF_boat_2 in the tutorial are you using the same or have you another model your working on .

Not to important that were working on the sames ones now, once we are up and running we can assign different models so as not to be redoing others work.

But for not its best we just pick one of the 3 fishing boats to learn the process.

Look forward to seeing everyone's results.

@ Hans can you mail me your redone Fletcher model and texture. Want to do an experiment to check that random skins is working as normal
Hi mate,

Yep i will send it to you later on today

For the moment i am just fighting with the base character mesh and so far the mesh won over me

Best regards Hans

Old 04-04-11, 01:25 PM   #1064
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

Quote:
Hi mate,

Yep i will send it to you later on today

For the moment i am just fighting with the base character mesh and so far the mesh won over me

Best regards Hans

Thank you mate, good luck with the fight. Would be great to see the end of those pathetic excuse for sailors

Got my first UV Unwrap done in Blender pleased with myself on that one.
Members can see my results in dropbox, let me know what you think - ok or more practice required.
Cant wait to see the tutorial on importing these into Paint.net to create the textures .

U-Boot_HAHD/Model and Texture/Reaper7/NF_boat_1/

Last edited by reaper7; 04-04-11 at 01:58 PM.
reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 02:54 PM   #1065
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Hi mate,

Maybe it is because i don't know pack3D but S3D is doing the job correctly in that department correct me if i am wrong on this one?

But if pack3D can import/export bones then it is another story.

I will test another trick in my 3d arsenal.

Best regards Hans
Don't know, don't use S3D.

Which file are you trying to modify? I guess I don't understand what you mean by moving a single vertice in the base mesh causes problems. Can you enlighten me on this?