Closed Thread

Old 07-24-19, 01:53 AM   #10486
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraznyi_oktjabr View Post
Only thing PM Johnson has to do to get no-deal Brexit, is to do nothing. The no-deal Brexit is the standard option unless something else is agreed on.

I think we could do some lend lease for the UK on soybeans. Has to be better than those beans you serve for breakfast over there.
Old 07-24-19, 02:13 AM   #10487
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
I think we could do some lend lease for the UK on soybeans. Has to be better than those beans you serve for breakfast over there.
Hehe the EU has been forced by Trump to buy US soy bean overproduction already, so the UK may already have its "fair" share.
Then i heard about soybean flooding but it seems i misunderstood :
https://www.iasoybeans.com/news/arti...iver-flooding/
And Trump once more turns his back to his voters.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 07-24-19 at 09:00 AM.
Catfish is online  
Old 07-24-19, 04:45 AM   #10488
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
There's something I really don't understand.

Your new PM have said Great Britain will leave EU on oct 31 deal or no deal.

And here is what I don't understand.

Your Parliament have some weeks or month ago voted for some rule saying Great Britain can't leave EU without a deal.

So how can he say "we will leave EU even without a deal" when the Parliament have said no ?

Markus
Simple he lied.

Its's hard to tell at the moment as Parliament breaks up for its summer holiday so the big fight will not take place until their return. Both sides will draw up their battle plans, Labour is already planning a vote of no confidence in the new government under Boris. Plus his joint majority with the DUP is only two and if three tories go independent or join the Liberals he is stuffed.

So at the moment all eyes are on his cabinet and if SKY News is correct about being two thirds leave and one third remain in the words of Nigel Farage leader of the Brexit party that is not going to work for boris and there will be a general election before the end of the year.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 07-24-19, 04:57 AM   #10489
STEED
Lucky Jack

It's MayBot's last PMQ'S today will she go out with a bang, will it hammer her. Or will the whole thing be gush so roll up for the last one before their holidays and get set for.....

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 07-24-19, 05:01 AM   #10490
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Congrats on your American Prime Minister
Rather frightening isn't it!

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online  
Old 07-24-19, 05:03 AM   #10491
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraznyi_oktjabr View Post
The law of the land says, that the exit day is 31st of October - as agreed with the EU. As far as I know, that has not changed. The Parliament can say "no" to no-deal Brexit, but unless they ratify the Withdrawal Agreement, its all sound bites without any concrete meaning.

Only thing PM Johnson has to do to get no-deal Brexit, is to do nothing. The no-deal Brexit is the standard option unless something else is agreed on. In theory he could negotiate new agreement with the EU, but first he would have to persuade them back to the negotiation table.

At the moment the Parliament says "no" to all alternatives and - atleast to me - it appears they are either unable or unwilling to define what kind of agreement they could accept. How could PM Johnson and the EU renegotiate the agreement, if they do not konw what kind of agreement is acceptable?

In my opinion, unless there is major political change in the UK, there is no point in wasting time with new round of negotiations. I also believe that extension to the Brexit date should be granted only, if its purpose is to give time to implement no-deal option.
I agree the EU will not renegotiate. It got everything what it wanted and it got the UK in an extremely weakened position, the EU will not let go this wonderful outcome. Cream on top is that it cna always point fingers at the UK, demanding the UK to move and to change and to alter its stance. All burden to adapt to the arranegment by May is on the UK, none on the EU. Perfect outcome!

I get the impression that a clear majority of parliament agrees on at least one thing: to not have no-deal.

So they could prevent no-deal exit by getting rid of Johnson and have reelections and install somebody willing to accept the deal there-is, the all-sales-deal by May, that is. Question is whether time is sufficient, I do not know what the British non-existent constitution says about timetables for announcing elections after Johnson got put down by a non-confidence vote. However, the EU already has signalled that while it will not let go of the deal it has, it is very well prepared to give the UK more time to prepare a ratification of this May-deal by British parliament. They will call it by different names, of course, and hide it from the public, but the EU would welcome the UK to install a deal-friendly government - or one that abandons Brexit alltogether. Even letting things in a non-decided state like it is now is better than to let the UK off the hook, from a perspective of European powerplay. And after all, the EU also is not shy to break its own laws, rules and treaties if it sees it could opportunistically benefit from that. The historic record of having done so in the past, already is discouragingly long by now. The EU will play foul if it can and sees benefit from that. Its institutions and offices will find the needed excuses and defences for that.

Or do I understand it all wrong?

This thing still is long from being over.

Johnson himself has no political ideals and is a pure opportunist, beside his charms he is said to have no further skills and competences, he will not mind kicking the country into an even deeper hole than was already done, if that serves his interests. So, he will do what serves his powerpolticla ambitions best.

And the Tories? They have voted Johnmosn into IM office and illiustrated that populism and winning the next elections is more important for them than the higher interest of their country.

No player in all this mess is any better than any of the others. Nobody. I include the vast majoirty of ordinary people and the electorate in this judgement. Why they have not stormed the house and burnt it down already, is beyond me. But I ask the same about Germany, America, France or any other country, too, so there is no real surprise.

Seen this way, everybody seems to get what he deserves, no matter how it goes and ends.

Last edited by Skybird; 07-24-19 at 05:22 AM.
Old 07-24-19, 05:05 AM   #10492
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
There's something I really don't understand.

Your new PM have said Great Britain will leave EU on oct 31 deal or no deal.

And here is what I don't understand.

Your Parliament have some weeks or month ago voted for some rule saying Great Britain can't leave EU without a deal.

So how can he say "we will leave EU even without a deal" when the Parliament have said no ?

Markus
See #10461 and #10486

Jimbuna is online  
Old 07-24-19, 05:07 AM   #10493
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I agree the EU will not renegotiate. It got everything what it wanted and it got the UK in an extremely weakened position, the EU will not let go this wonderful outcome. Cream on top is that it cna always point fingers at the UK, demanding the UK to move and to change and to alter its stance. All burden to adapt to the arranegment by May is on the UK, none on the EU. Perfect outcome!

I get the impression that a clear majority of parliament agrees on at least one thing: to not have no-deal.

So they could prevent no-deal exit by getting rid of Johnson and have reelections and install somebody willing to accept the deal there-is, the all-sales-deal my May, that is. Question is whether time is sufficient, I do not know what the British non-existent constituiton says aboiut timetables for announcing elecitons after Johnson got put down by a non-confidence vote. However, the EU already has signalled that while it will not let go of the deal it has, it is very well prepared to give the UK more time to prepare a ratification by parliament. They will use diferent wordings, of course, and hide it from the oublic, but the EU would welcome the UK to install a deal-friendly government - or one that abandons Brexit alltogether. And after all the eU also is not shy to break its own laws, rules and treaties if it sees it could opportunisztically benefit form that. The historic record of having done so in the past, already is discouragingly long by now.
Or do I understand it all wrong?

This thing still is long from being over.
It is still possible that Boris could turn out to be the shortest time serving PM in living memory.

Jimbuna is online  
Old 07-24-19, 05:27 AM   #10494
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
What has Boris Johnson said about other countries and their leaders?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-49014791
I'm thinking some of these remarks will be coming back to bite him on the bottom in the coming weeks and months, should he last that long.

Jimbuna is online  
Old 07-24-19, 05:41 AM   #10495
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
See #10461 and #10486
Wow!

Quote:
It is still possible that Boris could turn out to be the shortest time serving PM in living memory.
Double Wow!

Quote:
I'm thinking some of these remarks will be coming back to bite him on the bottom in the coming weeks and months, should he last that long.
Sounds like the truth

I have one question did England win or lose with Boris as the new PM?
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 07-24-19, 06:08 AM   #10496
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

My guess is lose but in all honesty I preferred Hunt not that he is all that much better.

We need to rid ourselves of the first past the post system and go for proportional representation imho.

Jimbuna is online  
Old 07-24-19, 06:14 AM   #10497
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

"Lose" all the way...!! What else?

Mind you, this is the man who told quite some fairy tales about how easy Brexit would be to get and to digest, and that the NHS would benefit, and he showed remarkable mathematical talent in completely confusing claims about how much money gets transferred to Brussel.

I had strong sympathy for Brexit from beginning on, but Johnson I did never believe a single word he ever told. He is populistic, opportunistic, and frankly I think he is clueless, ruthless and incompetent. A gambler and imposter who plays god with ordinary people's fate and existence. Idiot.

I would assume that he does not want real Brexit, no deal style, himself. But he has manouvered himself into a dead end from where even he will find it hard to escape. He would piss too many of his hardliners in his party if not going all in and even no-deal. They have a skin-think majority of just three in the House. He cannot afford to leave behind a single one.
Old 07-24-19, 07:02 AM   #10498
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

^ Sky, in the simplest of terms....there is no way on earth that Parliament will accept a no deal Brexit.

Jimbuna is online  
Old 07-24-19, 08:01 AM   #10499
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
As the new PM walks into Number 10 he will be greeted with applause by Downing Street staff - but there is one employee who is notoriously hard to impress. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49049852
Larry the cat

Jimbuna is online  
Old 07-24-19, 08:01 AM   #10500
STEED
Lucky Jack

Well Ian Blackford leader of the SNP in Westminster was far more dignified than that person I will not mention his name anymore at May's last PMQ's.

Well 4pm Bojo takes over and lets see who he picks for his cabinet.

Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics