SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-11-13, 04:25 PM   #1036
bifutake
Watch

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidius View Post
Hrm, although I don't fully understand what you are asking, I'm going to guess that you mean you can't see enemy ships on the map because of the fact they show up as dots in RFB...

so lemme point you to a mod that brings back most of the stock map icons.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=168887
i just ran into this AFTER i uploaded screenshots of my own problem (might be the same as canecao's by the sound of it) but i already exceeded my 5-per-day download limit so lemme just ask you quickly. as they say, picture is worth a thousand words so without further ado....

stock:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ps69b48bd2.jpg

rfb:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...pse1966e0b.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ps637102b3.jpg

is this mod gonna bring me back my beautiful gyro angle line (i don't know the exact technical term so i picked that up from the stock-game manual)? because i feel blind without it. it's the only thing keeping me from using rfb.

edit: and i seem to be missing a button for my stopwatch. it does appear automatically when i fire torpedos, but i need my manual switch for when i'm pursuing so i can use it with the nomograph for quick and accurate speed calculations.

also, i'm having trouble with the range finder. that's a mogami heavy cruiser in the third (torpedo) tutorial for rfb, right? well, the attack plotter (as well as the contact update on the navmap) never match the results i get when using the stadimeter.

edit2, here it is:

navmap shows 800:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...p-shows800.jpg

trying to apply the appropriate method when using optics in an attempt to estimate the range and receiving incorrect results. had i compensated for the ship's starboard tilt (one torpedo impact from my initial attack), i would've gotten 400 instead of 450 m. 400 instead of the correct 800!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...-incorrect.jpg

how can it seem so wrong and feel so right?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...00-correct.jpg

attack plotter shows "lock" on 800:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...slockon800.jpg

and of course, this time not a single miss:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ut3FINALLY.jpg

yeah, we need better optics, first and foremost. but i'd like to get my gyro attack line and chronometer back as well.

Last edited by bifutake; 02-11-13 at 10:05 PM.
bifutake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-13, 08:25 AM   #1037
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

If I'm not mistaken, RFB may remove the "track line" you're referring just as it removes the sonar track lines. This was done to add realism, since in reality you wouldn't see such lines. As for the range problem, please note the following for RFB: Stadimeter readings for merchants use tallest mast, readings for warships use tallest smokestack, and carriers use measurments from flight deck. Hope this helps.
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-13, 09:09 AM   #1038
bifutake
Watch

Downloads: 25

it does, thanks. what about the missing chronometer button? is there at least a keyboard shortcut?

edit: just to confirm, the "stock map icons" mod does indeed restore all those lines. now all i need is that stopwatch and i'm good to go.

edit2: nevermind, forgot i had google (keyboard shortcut is "x"). sorry about the stupid questions, i've been playing this game less than a week now.

edit3: and lol, three duds and one solid hit (they were all on target though) in my last initial attack in the third tutorial. isn't that a touch much? does it have anything to do with the set parameters for the torpedo (i used "high speed, contact detonation" on all four). the sea was rather calm so i can't really blame it on the waves.

Last edited by bifutake; 02-12-13 at 10:30 AM.
bifutake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-13, 10:44 AM   #1039
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Regarding the track lines on the Attack Map screen, or even the target ship image on the Nav Map, I'm one to believe it's up to you the player to choose whether you wish to use them or not. Frankly, I never use the Attack Map to figure manual targeting, so the idea of removing the lines that assist those that do seems too controling to me. The same with the ship silhouette on the Nav Map. "Enabling" the "No Map Contact Update" option removes the icon. So why have a mod do it for you? It's there if you want it with the option enabled, it's gone when you don't. Same with the subs orange marker on the surface when the sub is submerged. If you don't want to know where your sub is, don't go to the "Free Camera" view and look for it.

If your honest with yourself, you can make the game as hard or easy as you prefer, without having "modifications" to the game do it for you. I learned when I was a kid playing Avalon Hill war games how to play both sides by myself. You just keep you mind focused on the side at hand, forgeting about the strategy you have in mind for the other side, and allow the game to play through.

When I'm done with the OTC for RFB/RSRDCv575, the Attack and Nav Map will have their lines and icons back, so will the sub submerged icon. It'll be up to you to decide what you wish to use.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-13, 10:05 PM   #1040
fastfed
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

So there is no way to get manual targeting, WITH map contacts??

as in, I want my sonar guy to show me on the map where the ships are with the typical lines.
fastfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-13, 06:08 AM   #1041
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393

You need this
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1470

It restores the hydrophone bearing lines to RFB

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-13, 10:59 AM   #1042
bsachems
Swabbie

Downloads: 350
Default Gato Missing Sonar Controls in RFB2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-peck View Post
You need this
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1470

It restores the hydrophone bearing lines to RFB
Hi I have been playing Silent Hunter 4 for years now. I love TMO and now I am playing RFB2.0-RSRD. The problem is, when I got sent back to Peal for a new Gato Sub, I lost all control of my SONAR. It,s not the lines I care about. I'm at Periscope depth and the sonar controls (Home and End) do nothing. The bearing indicator is also gone, and the crew will only tell me there are no contacts at 0 degrees. Does anyone have a fix?
bsachems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-13, 09:19 AM   #1043
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsachems View Post
Hi I have been playing Silent Hunter 4 for years now. I love TMO and now I am playing RFB2.0-RSRD. The problem is, when I got sent back to Peal for a new Gato Sub, I lost all control of my SONAR. It,s not the lines I care about. I'm at Periscope depth and the sonar controls (Home and End) do nothing. The bearing indicator is also gone, and the crew will only tell me there are no contacts at 0 degrees. Does anyone have a fix?
First off WELCOME to SubSim!!

There's been a long standing problem with the stock game, that allowed earlier boats (like the S-Class and Porpoise) to allow for mouse control of the Sonar bearing marker. I'm pretty sure its the Gato that lost that ability (unless you use the Home/End keys). The keyboard control still allowed you to place the Sonar marker where you wanted. You say there's no keyboard control, no mouse control (since the bearing maker doesn't even exist)? I've never seen the bearing marker (the little diamond looking thing revolving around the dial) not appear. That's a good one.

Some mods correct the Gato controls, allowing for a mouse interaction. I'm not aware of the marker disappearing completely, not allowing you to do anything with it.

I'll have to fire up the game to see. One possible trouble is in the saved game files. Maybe you removed a mod out of the list in JSGME, then tried to replay the saved point without the mod included. That can always cause strange things to happen.

Tell us what mods you're running outside of RFB 2.0 and RSRDC v575. Make sure you're running version 575 of RSRDC,and not one of the other non compatible versions. And since you didn't mention it......Are you using the "April patch" for RFB 2.0, AND using the "RSRDC v5xx patch 1" after v575?

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 03-08-13, 10:36 AM   #1044
bsachems
Swabbie

Default Gato Missing Sonar Controls in RFB2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
First off WELCOME to SubSim!!

There's been a long standing problem with the stock game, that allowed earlier boats (like the S-Class and Porpoise) to allow for mouse control of the Sonar bearing marker. I'm pretty sure its the Gato that lost that ability (unless you use the Home/End keys). The keyboard control still allowed you to place the Sonar marker where you wanted. You say there's no keyboard control, no mouse control (since the bearing maker doesn't even exist)? I've never seen the bearing marker (the little diamond looking thing revolving around the dial) not appear. That's a good one.

Some mods correct the Gato controls, allowing for a mouse interaction. I'm not aware of the marker disappearing completely, not allowing you to do anything with it.

I'll have to fire up the game to see. One possible trouble is in the saved game files. Maybe you removed a mod out of the list in JSGME, then tried to replay the saved point without the mod included. That can always cause strange things to happen.

Tell us what mods you're running outside of RFB 2.0 and RSRDC v575. Make sure you're running version 575 of RSRDC,and not one of the other non compatible versions. And since you didn't mention it......Are you using the "April patch" for RFB 2.0, AND using the "RSRDC v5xx patch 1" after v575?
Hello again, Thank you for replying so quickly.
In order I have these mods install:
RFB 2.0
RFB_20_Pacht_23April2010
MaxOptics IV RFB 2.0
MaxOptics Binocular for RFB
RSRD_RFB_V575
RSRD_V5xx_Patch1
RSRD_RFB Pre Peal Harbor Caree Start
GirlInEveryPort
I did remove Nisgeis Range Ring and Bearing Line Mod and the TMOKeys
mod but that was after the sonar went missing.
I beleive I had them in that order after GirlInEveryPort.
I also tried reloading all the mods to no use.
I still play it just makes it a little more interesting.
Thank You for your help.
Old 03-08-13, 02:38 PM   #1045
bsachems
Swabbie

Quote:
Hello again, Thank you for replying so quickly.
In order I have these mods install:
RFB 2.0
RFB_20_Pacht_23April2010
MaxOptics IV RFB 2.0
MaxOptics Binocular for RFB
RSRD_RFB_V575
RSRD_V5xx_Patch1
RSRD_RFB Pre Peal Harbor Caree Start
GirlInEveryPort
I did remove Nisgeis Range Ring and Bearing Line Mod and the TMOKeys
mod but that was after the sonar went missing.
I beleive I had them in that order after GirlInEveryPort.
I also tried reloading all the mods to no use.
I still play it just makes it a little more interesting.
Thank You for your help.
Hello again I just wanted to add that I am using Windows 7.

I got back to base and got a new sub. A Balo. It has sonar, so all is well.
Back to sinking ships.
Thanks
Old 03-08-13, 05:30 PM   #1046
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Hello again I just wanted to add that I am using Windows 7.

I got back to base and got a new sub. A Balo. It has sonar, so all is well.
Back to sinking ships.
Thanks
Well then, case closed!!

But, it's something to look into.

I'm working on my Optical Targeting Correction mod for RFB 2.0 and RSRDC v575. Been having quite a time in correcting some of the things RFB has messed around with. Re naming stock equipment has thrown a monkey wrench into fixing things. It started with running the Museum and finding CTD's in less than half dozen units....... sound files missing as well. If a unit causes problems when viewing it in the Museum, it's going to cause problems when you run into it again in-game.

I'll need to look at the Gato to see what's up with the sonar. The problem with making a mod for a mod....... whatever shortcomings there are with the first mod(s), your mod gets blamed for the SNAFU.

Quote:
Old 03-23-13, 10:20 AM   #1047
Limskj
Nub

Downloads: 42

Hi. I am trying to run this: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1163

with RFB and RSRDC but a lot of bugs result (i.e. no bridge view). Running the ship by itself without RFB and RSRDC has no problems. Anybody can help?
Limskj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-13, 10:46 AM   #1048
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

I don't see a need for Real Fleet Boat with that mod because RFB deals with modifying submarines.

How does that mod like the RSRD campaign by itself? There may be an issue there too. I've never tried it so I don't know.

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-13, 05:47 PM   #1049
Limskj
Nub

Downloads: 42

Ah.. I get it. Thanks. I'll give that a shot and try it with GFO 1.1 and RSRDC. Thank you.
Limskj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-13, 11:57 AM   #1050
ArchAngel_X
Nub

Downloads: 5

First of all, let me open by giving a big thank you to all who have contributed to this mod. It makes the original version of this game look like trash in comparison. I bought this game a few months ago but was very disappointed with the way the stock game handled. I may have tried this mod at first but perhaps was unable to install it correctly. This time it all seemed to go more smoothly, but I do have one issue.

The graphics and control of the submarines are incredibly detailed, but whenever I encounter an enemy ship I am immediately engaged, irregardless of distance or visibility. The instant I get a visual contact I immediately get fired upon with incredibly-accurate fire. There is no time to dive or take any action without getting heavily damaged. I just started a new campaign and run into a battleship and was destroyed in two salvos before I could even get under the water. And before that, upon my first encounter with a convoy I was engaged by a destroyer at an extreme distance (though I didn't have a chance to see exactly how far) and sunk by three salvos: the first one missed by a hare and the following two hit me right on the bridge in the dead of night.

Is this considered normal for this mod? In my past experiences with the Silent Hunter series the player would atleast have a few moments to decide upon a course of action before being engaged with relative accuracy. Meanwhile these AI gunners would have been the envy of any navy in history, being able to hit an S-class submarine at several miles distance with the first shot at dusk.

And if this is not an intended design of this mod, what steps can I take to correct it? I have tried reinstalling the game and mods twice with the same results.
ArchAngel_X is offline   Reply With Quote