SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-13-10, 10:23 PM   #91
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

I don't see the use of language like that as snobbery.. though I do consider it rude when people seem to have trouble understanding what you're saying and you do little to enlighten them. Worse so would be the rudeness if it became knowledge that you're only speaking in those terms to appear more intelligent or "better" than the person.

If it became the case to speak in terms or ways that no one can understand you means that you are intelligent, I might as well start speaking Cantonese with French, Russian, Spanish and English thrown in there for kicks.
Old 08-13-10, 11:03 PM   #92
robbo180265
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfnSea View Post
I, for one, enjoy what 4Para posts. I think it's funnier than h***. Have fun and enjoy when you come here; there is plenty in the real world to get our panties in a bunch. I enjoy the personality he adds to the forums.

I thoroughly agree with you. 4Para is hurting no-one writing the way he does and he always brings a smile to my face when I read his posts.

I understand your concerns that some of our non-English members may not completely understand him, but I'm sure he's aware of that too.

The guy is hurting no-one and if he chooses to post in that manner I say let him.
robbo180265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 11:07 PM   #93
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Besides, both he and his posts are easy to ignore (well, except when others quote him) if it's such an issue.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 11:41 PM   #94
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo180265 View Post
I thoroughly agree with you. 4Para is hurting no-one writing the way he does and he always brings a smile to my face when I read his posts.

I understand your concerns that some of our non-English members may not completely understand him, but I'm sure he's aware of that too.

The guy is hurting no-one and if he chooses to post in that manner I say let him.
I have nothing against him at all, except for most of the time I have no clue what he's talking about. As I said before, he's free to post any way he likes, but when something makes no sense to someone you shouldn't be upset when someone asks what you said, let alone what you meant.
Old 08-14-10, 12:04 AM   #95
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

Completely agreed Steve.

Also, I understand the problem where non-English members may not understand him.. but I speak English and I even have trouble understanding him. Added to the fact that the majority of the things he posts don't make sense nor do they contribute to the topic makes him a troll in a sense. I don't mean to call anyone names, but that is how I see it.
Old 08-14-10, 12:04 AM   #96
robbo180265
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I have nothing against him at all, except for most of the time I have no clue what he's talking about. As I said before, he's free to post any way he likes, but when something makes no sense to someone you shouldn't be upset when someone asks what you said, let alone what you meant.
Fair comment Steve however, it's the way some of the other posters asked that I think was the problem.
Old 08-14-10, 03:30 AM   #97
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Quote:
If he's happy to be the comic relief, then that's good (for those that aren't annoyed by it), but sometimes those posts do derail the thread... like this one. When it turns into a discussion about the use of language of what is grammar of whatever, then that's when pseudo-period speak goes bad.

Quote:
Fair comment Steve however, it's the way some of the other posters asked that I think was the problem.
If you make a concious decision to post in such a way, then you shouldn't be overly concerned about people commenting on it, as people will always comment on the unusual. So, given that then I should think that he's not really upset by it, he's just using it as a reason to post more of the same pseudo period speak. This is a discussion forum after all and the purpose of it is to enable people to communicate, but there's room for a single 4para. If more people start posting like that, then I think it would be different (would verilly that it be forsooth!).

I mean, I hope it was a concious decision, as I did consider the possibility that he was a stroke victim and was unaware of the format of what he was posting. I hope we're not all getting amusement from that. I'd feel bad about that.
Old 08-14-10, 03:40 AM   #98
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Seriously, just ignore him. Not hard. I've never understood anything he's written. I think it's all a lame attempt at erudition, given that no-one with any education would write "Iam" as opposed to "I am", for example.

He's the only one on my ignore list, for no other reason than I have better things to do than decipher what he's writing, which, when I do, usually has nothing to do with the subject at hand...
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-10, 03:58 AM   #99
j_o_nn_y
Loader

Downloads: 58

Well I remember when he came on this forum and spoke like a scotsman and had arguments with various people. Then probably decided to speak like that at some point. You can see it if you check his first few posts.
j_o_nn_y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-10, 04:13 AM   #100
sergei
Sea Lord

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisgeis View Post
I mean, I hope it was a concious decision, as I did consider the possibility that he was a stroke victim and was unaware of the format of what he was posting.
lol
sergei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-10, 11:09 AM   #101
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
That's kind of you, but I think I overreacted a little as well.
Old 08-14-10, 11:11 AM   #102
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones View Post
Seriously, just ignore him. Not hard.
Ignore somebody, when I can get all upset and angry and get into yet another silly fight?

This is teh interwebs after all!
Old 08-14-10, 11:16 AM   #103
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I was once tempted to write in my native Geordie fashion but I doubt I'd be able to understand myself

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-10, 11:55 AM   #104
robbo180265
Admiral

Quote:
Ignore somebody, when I can get all upset and angry and get into yet another silly fight?

Old 08-14-10, 03:53 PM   #105
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Quote:

(As the thread has been well and truly derailled by that there thing that's right there).

Hey there you there with your there fancy words there. Erudition? What's that there then? I can't even spell that there 'erudition' and Iam proud of that there. That there is going to get you there into that there fight there that is now right here. Yes no? There it is there now. There is here now.

Is that there Erutition something to do with being that there E-Rude? I could be that there E-rude, but I don't want to embarass byself by getting that there wrong and saying the wrong thing, thus commiting a Forks Pass. Hoe embracing wood that there bee?