Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-12-20, 09:53 AM   #1021
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
I went to the store last night to pick some more canning jars. On the way in I saw two people rolling out carts with nothing else but toilet paper.
Does FoxNews also produce printed media?

Seriously, the reaction of people is irrational to say at least.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-20, 09:53 AM   #1022
Rufus Shinra
Soundman

Location: The land of the free with a glorious military history (France)
Downloads: 15

What the... living in Lyon and even as we're supposed to have tons more contaminations both in absolute and per capita than the States, I did my grocery run two days ago without any difference in how things went. Went to a small store at noon, no issues either.

But then, I remember back in 2017, when I was in Houston and Harvey was coming, tons of people were also going for panic-buying. Is that cultural?
Rufus Shinra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-20, 09:59 AM   #1023
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 541
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Shinra View Post
When people here or elsewhere are saying that their country is frakked because this or that decision wasn't taken fast enough, that it'll be a complete nightmare, I can't help but to roll my eyes. Same for the rushes seen for stores and the like, it's pretty amusing, Onkel.

The economic issues, OTOH, are going to be more painful and reinforced by the panic.
Well, hmm, maybe you're right, I would argue that the possibility this could get bad and become a complete nightmare is real, I suppose it depends on your definition of a nightmare. I am not suggesting it will kill everyone or even a majority. I'm not going to repeat the points made previously that this pandemic has real potential to disrupt the day to day life of most people, you must have read the reasons for this and dismissed them. We shall see. I would point out that the panic is caused by people who wait till the last minute to prepare. I'm not panicking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
DAY 4 My Supermarket toilet roll shelf today....

Every where else is like this and one small shop is now charging £5 for four rolls!!!!

Dam you panic buyers.
Eh, you waited till now to get supplies? Wait a few days, it will be back in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
I went to the store last night to pick some more canning jars. On the way in I saw two people rolling out carts with nothing else but toilet paper.
Fear of a shortage ramped up the shortage. I'm not worried about TP. It does not go bad or stale, we have enough to last 8 weeks, more if we ration.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-20, 10:12 AM   #1024
Rufus Shinra
Soundman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Well, hmm, maybe you're right, I would argue that the possibility this could get bad and become a complete nightmare is real, I suppose it depends on your definition of a nightmare. I am not suggesting it will kill everyone or even a majority. I'm not going to repeat the points made previously that this pandemic has real potential to disrupt the day to day life of most people, you must have read the reasons for this and dismissed them. We shall see. I would point out that the panic is caused by people who wait till the last minute to prepare. I'm not panicking.
Different mindsets as well. I know a number of people in what you people call the 'Deep State', and they're pretty damn smart as well as devoted to the common good, so I'm not that worried about the crisis management overall. The disturbance is going to cost a number of lives, possibly two elderly relatives of mine, which would hurt a LOT, considering how close I am to them, but it's not exactly the end of things.

Hell, we lost 4 % of our entire population one century ago, the active people whom the economy needed most, and we got back on our feet afterwards, so I'm confident in our ability to survive a crisis that will be a human tragedy but not a systemic societal failure.

The danger is with the economy, and that's what the government has realized fast enough. To be blunt, we can lose 100,000 elderly people and it will be a tragedy, but we can't lose our economic and industrial foundations without it being a disaster. Panicking and going for long-lasting, ill-defined quarantines or disorganizing everything will be more damaging in the long term than reinforcing the medical efforts, working on resilience and remembering the dead.

Blunt, inhumane, but that's the calculations one has to make at this scale. Generals make such every day in war.

Or to use a submarine metaphor, when you took a depth charge near-miss, you trust the Captain to get the boat out of long-term danger, and if it means letting a mate die to save more battery racks, you do so. Panicking will just lead to more damage overall. So keep calm and carry on is the motto.
Old 03-12-20, 10:16 AM   #1025
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

The buying up of certain items because of this virus equates to the same buying up of products for an impending snow storm or hurricane. For some it makes sense because of the impending threat. Usually seen in the news with a swirling eye of a storm or ominous mass of snow carrying clouds. Get supplies! For a virus though? Most simply wash their hands, sneeze into a tissue and keep clear of anyone that may be sick. This preventative measure has worked for decades.

So, no, I don't understand the crazed buying up of supplies. And if crap paper runs out....use some leaves or hose yourself off.
Old 03-12-20, 10:18 AM   #1026
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

US study finds that the virus survives up to 72 hours on plastic and steel surfaces.

Quoted by German media.

The german claim that contaminated surface cannot spread the infection by smear, with this finding becomes incredible. What you can smear on a surface, you can smear off a surface as well.

However, in the aerosol of the air the virus cannot be detected anymore after 3 hours.
Old 03-12-20, 10:20 AM   #1027
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
...you people...

Say what?

Quote:
The disturbance is going to cost a number of lives, possibly two elderly relatives of mine, which would hurt a LOT, considering how close I am to them, but it's not exactly the end of things.
Sure, I think exactly the same as you. But in my eyes, that is a nightmare. So I call it that.
Old 03-12-20, 10:21 AM   #1028
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
US study finds that the virus survives up to 72 hours on plastic and steel surfaces.

Quoted by German media.

The german claim that contaminated surface cannot spread the infection by smear, with this finding becomes incredible. What you can smear on a surface, you can smear off a surface as well.

However, in the aerosol of the air the virus cannot be detected anymore after 3 hours.
Then public places need to be cleaned well and should be anyway. The exact same way other viruses are combated.
Old 03-12-20, 10:24 AM   #1029
Rufus Shinra
Soundman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
The buying up of certain items because of this virus equates to the same buying up of products for an impending snow storm or hurricane. For some it makes sense because of the impending threat. Usually seen in the news with a swirling eye of a storm or ominous mass of snow carrying clouds. Get supplies! For a virus though? Most simply wash their hands, sneeze into a tissue and keep clear of anyone that may be sick. This preventative measure has worked for decades.

So, no, I don't understand the crazed buying up of supplies. And if crap paper runs out....use some leaves or hose yourself off.
Or, you know, realize that if you're under fifty, that virus isn't exactly a threat to you. In the US, there's a bit more than one death per 10,000 people per year due to car crashes. The virus kills roughly 0,2 % of the under 50-yo people, and that's mainly, IIRC, people with pre-existing conditions already.

So, yeah. Buying supplies only makes sense if you feel your government is going to collapse entirely. I don't.
Old 03-12-20, 10:26 AM   #1030
Rufus Shinra
Soundman

Quote:
Say what?

Sure, I think exactly the same as you. But in my eyes, that is a nightmare. So I call it that.
Well, I suppose there are men, women and attack helicopters on the forum, so I'm not going to say 'you guys'. 'You people' seem wide enough. Unless there are gender-fluid non-binary pansexual horsekin posters here, in which case I'll edit to 'you people and equines''.
Old 03-12-20, 10:26 AM   #1031
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Or, you know, realize that if you're under fifty, that virus isn't exactly a threat to you. In the US, there's a bit more than one death per 10,000 people per year due to car crashes. The virus kills roughly 0,2 % of the under 50-yo people, and that's mainly, IIRC, people with pre-existing conditions already.

So, yeah. Buying supplies only makes sense if you feel your government is going to collapse entirely. I don't.
I'm not under 50. I'm not in a panic. The flu kills thousands yearly. Where is the panic?

Here are last years numbers for the flu:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...-estimates.htm
Old 03-12-20, 10:29 AM   #1032
Rufus Shinra
Soundman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
I'm not under 50. I'm not in a panic. The flu kills thousands yearly. Where is the panic?

Here are last years numbers for the flu:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...-estimates.htm
Well, there is a panic among buyers, it seems. Ah, well, if they like having their place full of toilet paper...
Old 03-12-20, 10:35 AM   #1033
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Well, I suppose there are men, women and attack helicopters on the forum, so I'm not going to say 'you guys'. 'You people' seem wide enough. Unless there are gender-fluid non-binary pansexual horsekin posters here, in which case I'll edit to 'you people and equines''.

"You people" directed at me implies something you have no idea about and you are offering deflections to avoid admitting it. Not sure what all your other stuff is about but it sounds Freudian.
Old 03-12-20, 10:43 AM   #1034
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

It was funny at first with the Costco shoppers now it's hitting my favorite way to get supplies from Walmart

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...es/5020751002/

Coronavirus rationing: Target, Walmart limit purchases of hand sanitizer, disinfecting wipes, toilet paper

Quote:
Shoppers hoping to stock up on hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes are running out of options as more coronavirus cases continue to surge.

Many stores including Target, Walmart, Kroger and Publix are restricting shoppers by placing limits on how many of these COVID-19-related items that shoppers can buy with signs citing "high demand" or "increased demand."
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...let-paper.html

Cops respond to mass panic at California Costco that ran out of toilet paper and bottled water - as the franchise reveals sales are up a 12.4% on last year as shoppers stock up amid coronavirus outbreak
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-20, 10:44 AM   #1035
Rufus Shinra
Soundman

Quote:
"You people" directed at me implies something you have no idea about and you are offering deflections to avoid admitting it. Not sure what all your other stuff is about but it sounds Freudian.
Huh. I guess it might, after a Google check, though I don't really come from that same cultural background. I simply say that to cover everyone in the group to which I'm talking, in this case the posters on this forum. Sorry if there was some offense, none was meant.

For the rest, it was mainly a joke about how ridiculous the 'rules' can become these days when it comes to cover everyone in a group, online or offline, referencing one of my favourite Terminal Lance comics. I'd rant about 'inclusive speech' and how it murders our grammar with a blunt instrument, but that ain't the topic.

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan