SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-30-12, 09:28 AM   #991
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 0

Just went off what I heard folks talk about.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-12, 10:34 PM   #992
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish40 View Post
I don't know if it's totally about more folks' desire to play U Boats. TMO seems to have a greater following, and has been updated. Modders are making more mods compatable with TMO, because that's what they play. Nothing at all against TMO, but I'm just a die hard RFB fan.
I'm sure your right about the update aspect. I know Duci has come up with many good ideas for his mods, but I still prefer the game to be modeled for a historical level of difficulty. If I can ever finish the war though, I will probably give TMO a whirl.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-12, 08:09 AM   #993
Araxnid
Nub

Downloads: 26

Hello.
Is there any way to add detected ship sigh on the map, when you zoom in?
I see only square and only when im zooming out.

Like in the stock game. And also line of the torpedo attack.
Any ways? -) I understand, this is mod for making game more reality, but anyway its too realistic for me.
Araxnid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-12, 08:12 PM   #994
Nbjackso
Navy Dude

Downloads: 448
Uploads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araxnid View Post
Hello.
Is there any way to add detected ship sigh on the map, when you zoom in?
I see only square and only when im zooming out.

Like in the stock game. And also line of the torpedo attack.
Any ways? -) I understand, this is mod for making game more reality, but anyway its too realistic for me.
Try this mod - - -> http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1820

By the way, Welcome aboard

Just get me within 1000 yards,
and I'll d
o the rest
Nbjackso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-12, 04:37 AM   #995
Mister_Spok
Seaman

Downloads: 87

Greetings to all.

Today I tried RFB instead of TMO, because of it's realistic sinking mechanics and overall increased crew and submarine vulnerability. BUT!

I noticed that it uses MAP CONTACTS?! WTF?! It willingly draw cute little rectangles that represent position of the ship I have no range found yet! This you call a realism mod?
Mister_Spok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-12, 04:57 AM   #996
doulos05
Planesman

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Spok View Post
Greetings to all.

Today I tried RFB instead of TMO, because of it's realistic sinking mechanics and overall increased crew and submarine vulnerability. BUT!

I noticed that it uses MAP CONTACTS?! WTF?! It willingly draw cute little rectangles that represent position of the ship I have no range found yet! This you call a realism mod?
Maybe they pay the crewmen on the boat to do their jobs? I mean, any radar operator worth his berth on the boat can get you range and bearing to target.

Seriously, though. No Map Contacts at all is just as unrealistic. There were how many people in the Firing party for some of the attacks described in the Submarine TDC manual that all the big names here toss around? Isn't is something like 12 or 14? What are they doing? Why do I have to be sonarman AND navigator AND TDC operator AND periscope operator, etc, etc, etc when the 'role' I'm supposed to be assuming is that of either Captain or Approach Officer?

What we really need is No Map Contacts, Yes Map Contacts, and Crew Map Contacts.

What I'm thinking with Crew Map Contacts is that map contacts are updated, but with an error factor based on the relevant skill level of the crew members in question. Got a great sonarman? That bearing line will terminate a lot closer to the ship's actual position? Is the Officer of the Watch really good, those map contacts will update faster and will be closer to the ships actual position.

Then, I can correct my crew my changing the Map Contact (maybe clicking on it would bring up the data and I could use up or down arrows to adjust values).

Now, I'm doing my job (directing the approach, deciding if we have a good plot, averaging out the errors in the various observation methods so we have a good firing solution, etc) and my crew is doing their's...
Me:

Last edited by doulos05; 06-03-12 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Fixing typos...
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-12, 05:02 AM   #997
doulos05
Planesman

Note: I realize the above is almost certainly impossible to accomplish with simple modding. It would have to be built in from the beginning into the stock game, but it would still be the 'most historically accurate' way. Then again, I can see the complaint's now...

"I keep missing targets because the stupid game doesn't even know where the ships are? How is that fair? I wants my booms and tonnages!!1!!"
Me:
Old 06-03-12, 05:42 AM   #998
Mister_Spok
Seaman

Downloads: 87

I mean, if I want to do all that you described myself, is it that bad? If I miss there is noone to blame except me, right? I plan the approach, I do the plot, I listen to what the sonarman has to say, and I sink that bastards.

About the radar operator - totally agree. But map contacts is just evil I want to update my target's position myself, and if you take the radar operator, I want him just to shout out bearing and distance when asked.

All the other aspects of RFB, they are just great. Brilliant and very, very hard work done here.
Mister_Spok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-12, 11:52 AM   #999
Carthaginian
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Spok
But map contacts is just evil I want to update my target's position myself, and if you take the radar operator, I want him just to shout out bearing and distance when asked.

If I DIDN'T have map contacts updated, then I would replace my entire control room crew when I got back. It means that my sonar and radar operators are lazy and that my XO is just picking his teeth while I do everything; since it doesn't seem like he does anything else except repeat my orders and stand there looking important... his sorry butt better be updating the positions of my targets!
Carthaginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-12, 01:41 PM   #1000
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Quote:
Greetings to all.

When you start your career just go into game settings and check no Contact Updates.

Happy Hunting!

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 02:25 AM   #1001
doulos05
Planesman

Quote:
I mean, if I want to do all that you described myself, is it that bad? If I miss there is noone to blame except me, right? I plan the approach, I do the plot, I listen to what the sonarman has to say, and I sink that bastards.

About the radar operator - totally agree. But map contacts is just evil I want to update my target's position myself, and if you take the radar operator, I want him just to shout out bearing and distance when asked.

All the other aspects of RFB, they are just great. Brilliant and very, very hard work done here.
Yeah, that's why we have the "No Map Contacts" option. I endorse that option for those who want to play that way, I'd just rather not. I'm not good at being 18 people at the same time...
Me:
Old 07-09-12, 09:10 PM   #1002
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 345

excuse my ignorence but what does this mod do exactly because im intrested in downloading it ???
drakkhen20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 02:14 AM   #1003
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Drakken you can download the manual in the first post of this thread. This is a supermod that makes many changes in the game to improve visuals and gameplay, always aiming at more realism.
Old 07-10-12, 10:30 AM   #1004
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

yes i found that out when i downloaded it. i dont know why i always ask those questions and then i read the fing manual ,lol. thanks again. already downloaded it so im going to give it a try. thanks.

regards,
drakkhen20
Old 07-10-12, 11:22 AM   #1005
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

ok heres a question. I play OM alot with OMEGU also. so can i use this mod with it? do i activate RFB first then OM ?