SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-01-12, 04:10 PM   #976
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
In ***8220;Blood on the Ice***8221;, Calixto can now be killed if player owns a house in Windhelm

*SPOILER* (just in case for Skybird)

I thought you had to *solve* Blood On The Ice (and possibly Pt 2 if you didn't get it right the first time) before you could buy the house in Windhelm, which is the SAME house being used by Calixto for his crimes. The point at which you realize Calixto is the killer would seem like the only logical point at which to kill him. If you already bought the house before starting the quest or while it was ongoing, then wouldn't the whole "get the key to and investigate the abandoned house" part of it be borked?
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12, 11:47 PM   #977
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Well I took out all my mods and backed up all my savegames and got today's patch, started adding them back in and it looks like the problem is with the mod that added the smithing stuff to the house in Windhelm. Couldn't even load the game at all with that enabled, I mean the game would load but selecting any save at all just resulted in a CTD. Finally narrowed it down to that one mod. Without it everything seems to work fine, saves load and I can save manually in-game after sleeping, waiting, and traveling. I turned the Autosaves back on just to be sure and there doesn't seem to be a problem with those either. Bummer about not having a smithy inside Hjerim but there's a full set of stations for it at the blacksmith's in the market so I'll just have to make do.

Anyway it looks like I can play again, yay!

But I went to see Ulfric while I was buzzing around checking things out and he has nothing new to say to me, the dog. After all we went through together.
Old 02-02-12, 06:13 AM   #978
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Is it possibly to deactivate HDR? I would like to see the chnage it makes. All in all it works well, but on some instances it simply is far too shiny. I think the wonderfully modelled fires from ttorches and campfires also suffer immensely from using HDR. I had it deactivated in Oblivion for that reason, too.

Blood on ice, sounds like a drink.

Saw a hottie in some hall in Whiterun, named Aela. Damn, I need to chase that girl down.
Old 02-02-12, 08:14 AM   #979
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Blood on ice, sounds like a drink.
It's a side quest in Windhelm that lets you play detective for a while, hot on the heels of a serial killer who has been murdering the local womenfolk. I believe it's also required if you want to purchase the property there and become Thane of the hold.

Quote:
Saw a hottie in some hall in Whiterun, named Aela. Damn, I need to chase that girl down.
Join the Companions (the faction that lives in Jorrvaskr, the hall you no doubt saw her in) and complete their questline. Then she will be available to you as a follower and/or spouse.

She will also come along as your follower on a couple of the quests you must do to complete the Companions storyline. TBH I didn't care for her much as a follower but YMMV. She can also train you in archery altho I suspect you would prefer training with her in other areas.

(I did extensive training with Vilkas - another Companion - in handling two-handed weapons. Nudge nudge wink wink. )
Old 02-02-12, 08:29 AM   #980
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
She will also come along as your follower on a couple of the quests you must do to complete the Companions storyline. TBH I didn't care for her much as a follower but YMMV. She can also train you in archery altho I suspect you would prefer training with her in other areas.

(I did extensive training with Vilkas - another Companion - in handling two-handed weapons. Nudge nudge wink wink. )
Two handed weapon... so-so... What slippery folks there is to meet in this Skyrim...

Not to mention the players.
Old 02-03-12, 12:13 PM   #981
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Hilarious Skyrim moment of the day, provided by the Windhelm carriage driver. Why this guy is driving a buggy instead of doing something a little more hardcore for a living, I'll never know, because apparently he has cojones made of genuine Skyforge steel.

So I'm leaving Windhelm for the sole purpose of lugging a bunch of stuff to Riften for storage. I decide to take the carriage. Where would you like to go? Riften. Hop on back and we'll be off. Ching kaching, money changes hands.

As I'm walking to the back of the carriage, an ancient dragon plops down directly behind it. No warning, no telltale roars, all I hear is one swoosh of big wings and sense a shadow overhead and next thing you know THUD there he is.

Thankfully I had Marked For Death armed and ready so I hit him with that right away and arrows were coming from everywhere, Argis for sure and probably some of the local guards. Anyway, it was a mercifully short battle BUT the whole time it was going all I can hear is the carriage driver in the background grumbling about the fact that I haven't gotten in the carriage.

Are you ready yet? *grumble grumble" I can't sit here all day.

Oh I'm sorry mister driver I'll just be a moment WHILE I KILL THIS DRAGON THAT ALMOST DID A LEELOO INTO THE BACK OF YOUR RIG.

In short: Skyrim Carriage Service = Serious Business.

Honorable mention to the stable guy who came around the corner of the stable and walked between me and the dragon's giant angry snapping maw of death in the middle of it all and then calmly apologized for getting in my way.

Also, I seem to have acquired a horse. I'm not sure what happened, really... all I remember is that during the Civil War quest we had to take some fort that was down the road from Rorikstead. I left the Magigolo at the inn there and went and did the battle, after which I saw a lone horse stabled at the fort, and the prompt when I got close said Ride and not Steal, so I figured what the heck and I got on and rode him back to Rorikstead since it wasn't very far. I left him by some farmer's house there and figured he'd find his own way home.

But now it seems like he's following me around, about every other time I leave or arrive at a city he's standing there outside the local stables pawing the ground and making his cute little horsie noises when I walk by. When I leave it seems like he follows us but I run everywhere if I'm traveling on foot and he just walks so we end up leaving him behind but two cities later, there he'll be again.

Did I "win" him by killing his owner at the fort? I dunno. I've ridden random horses that I found in the wild, usually standing over the body of some dead previous owner... but they never stick around.

Also I am having a LOT of seemingly random CTDs since installing the new patch, no one event that I can pin them on so far. It's like the game suddenly just decides that I've played long enough. I'm saving like mad but sometimes it happens in the middle of something where I'm not going to be stopping and saving and it's really frustrating.
Old 02-03-12, 01:15 PM   #982
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

/facepalm

I swear, mods to the Elderscrolls community, is like Eyecandy to the subsim community. First, foremost, and to nearly the expense of all else.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-12, 02:08 PM   #983
Drewcifer
Commodore

Downloads: 38

Yeah since the new patch for me the game is almost unplayable really... It CTD every 20 to 30 min, and its stuttering so bad I can't hardly move. Thats on both Ultra and Lowest settings, its not a graphical issue as I was running Ultra before at a steady 60 fps. Now Everything runs fine until you move the mouse then it just stutters like crazy, and of course 20 to 30 min in will crash no matter where or what your doing.

I actually just left myself in the center of winterhold college and didn't move and set a timer while I watched tv, exactly 22 mins in the game crashed to desktop.
Drewcifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-12, 02:47 PM   #984
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

I have had afiew odd crashes in the new patch (annoying enough one was right after fighting a ancient dragon, and a frost troll.)

Though performance is alot better for me, way better than it use to be.
Old 02-03-12, 06:16 PM   #985
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

I haven't had one crash yet post patch.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-12, 09:37 PM   #986
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus
Yup, I have been running the latest "stable" version of SKSE in order to use SkyUI with the newly patched game version and it seems like that may be a possible culprit. That '20 minute crash cycle' sounds about like what I've been experiencing. I really like SkyUI but I'm gonna take those two out of the mix and see what happens.

Edit: well I was referring to SKSE 1.4.08 but apparently there's a newer version out since the one everyone was complaining about. Will give that a try instead.
Old 02-03-12, 10:02 PM   #987
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

@ Frau, initially I enjoyed horses (ie. Shadowmere) but I am actually getting so sick and tired of having him spawn right next to me when I fast travel to a new city. Not only that, if I accidentally hit a guard with a shout or what have you he goes on a goddam killing streak!
Old 02-03-12, 11:34 PM   #988
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

There's a new patch out? What are we up to now I have v1.3.10, and shouldn't the construction set be out anytime soon end of Feb?

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-12, 11:50 PM   #989
darius359au
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Latest version is 1.4 ,it was a beta but went live a couple of days ago .the construction kits supposed to be this week now the patch is live.
The new 195.51 beta nvidia drivers give a nice little bonus in performance on top of the new patches boost
Old 02-04-12, 12:41 AM   #990
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Have played for the past couple hours crash-free with the latest release of SKSE. Keeping fingers crossed.

Also, it appears that being the Hero Of Skyrim really does have its perks...

Oh, Ulfric. If using "removeallitems" on you is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Altho leaving my husband/follower waiting downstairs while I do it does make me feel just a little guilty.