Closed Thread

Old 04-29-19, 05:34 AM   #9826
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
I seem to recall that UKIP plans to run in those elections and do exactly that.
Precisely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I think they indeed should make a pig's breakast of it since the EU demonstrated its willingness again to just forget the meaning of laws and rules and bypass them if it serves the purpose. I mean if the rule says that members must hold elections for parliament, what does it tell you then when the EU expects one such de factor member then to not practice its membership rights? It is arbirtry following and not following one'S own rules. And that means the rules mean nothing at all.

The UK played it all way too kind and servile anyway, Jim. Look where it got you as far as the demands by the EU are concerned. It did not serve you well to play the game by their rules. They bullied you into a corner in return. Weakness does not pay off.

I th8inbk the UK should threaten to withdraw its police, militrary andf intel ressoruces from cooperation with continetal Euzrope. That would be a sting for sure, with only two milkitaries in Europoe being ready to fight a real war, the Briotish nukes beign the only ones beign fully committed to NATO (the French nukes are not) and the British intel being the most important one for anti terror and military defence as well.

That is also the reason why I think the UK must take the threat by Washington more serious to not to share sensitive information with the UK anymore in case of Huawei not being blocked from network building. It would effectively be the end of being member of the five-eyes club.
I'm not sure the politicians (being led by a Remainer) will be prepared to carry out much if anything of the above atm.

Never have I seen my country so divided but hopefully a price will be paid at the forthcoming local elections later this week.

The downside of the above is the prospect of the alternative being a great deal worse.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 04-29-19, 03:24 PM   #9827
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Well I will not be voting along with many people up and down the land. A neighbour near me told me the labour candidate knocked on his door and after being told he was not voting the candidate said a lot of people have told him the same thing.

I have seen in my ward many more lib/lab and green billboards and posters this year. Personally I can not bother as they all promise this and that and deliver nothing.

As for the EU elections I am going to vote for the Brexit party only because those traitors at Westminster have lied to us and I still feel they should all be removed and never allowed to stand ever again.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 04-30-19, 04:39 AM   #9828
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Home office seeks to end free movement with a no deal brexit.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKCN1PM2LA

No more continental travel without visa for you

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 04-30-19, 11:22 AM   #9829
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Home office seeks to end free movement with a no deal brexit.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKCN1PM2LA

No more continental travel without visa for you
I should imagine reciprocal measures will be imposed but sadly that may be self harming should tourist levels to Spain and Greece etc. fall dramatically.

Overall though, not good for either side.

Old 04-30-19, 11:27 AM   #9830
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

It looks like Steptoe could well be getting himself boxed in, Labour are looking for the best of both worlds without committing themselves wholeheartedly to any specific stance/position.

Quote:
Labour's governing body has agreed to support a further referendum on Brexit under certain circumstances.

The National Executive Committee met to decide the wording of its manifesto for May's European elections.

It rejected the idea of campaigning for a referendum under all circumstances - as supported by deputy leader Tom Watson and many Labour Party members.

But the party will demand a public vote if it cannot get changes to the government's deal or an election.

Labour is "the only party which represents both people who supported Leave and Remain", a spokesperson said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48099901

Old 05-01-19, 05:23 AM   #9831
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/896645...c2f7-190417541

Quote:
THERESA May has become the first Tory leader in 185 years to face an emergency grassroots vote to oust her.
The PM is to be hauled in front of a snap meeting all 800 constituency chairmen and senior activists in June, who will decide whether to demand her resignation for failing to deliver Brexit.
Old 05-01-19, 06:45 AM   #9832
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Though the EGM vote is not binding, losing it would be Mrs May’s deepest humiliation yet and spark overwhelming pressure on her to stand down immediately.
I'm not so sure she would resign, she's been through so much already she's probably battle hardened.

It would be nice to see some of the MP's facing similar action.

Old 05-02-19, 06:47 AM   #9833
STEED
Lucky Jack

I just seen two Tories wearing rosettes and clipboards!

Bloody heck they must be desperate for votes around here as this ward in most part is Lib and now again Labour.

I have put up a big sign on my door telling them to sod off I'm not voting and if they dare ring my bell I will give them a verbal telling off.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 05-02-19, 07:01 AM   #9834
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Yea, I forsee Labour winning.

All the good it would do to CASD.
Old 05-02-19, 07:02 AM   #9835
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

It is not about Tories or Whigs. You have a constitutional crisis. Decisions are being delayed, again and again, 'until the future of the UK can be decided!, but "there is no idea or future to see for the british economy" as Mr. Heseltine has said long before.
Delaying decisions have no positive effect. They should have started right after the referendum, there is no need for a pm to do that. And whoever is or will be prime minister will do the same. The negotioations are and will be the same with whoever is pm.

Old but still true, and it only has got worse:

It is like i have said two years ago, let Boris Johnson lead the negotiations, to show us the EU and the UK what he actually wants to do and negotiate, and how bright brexit is. He would not have been to be a PM for doing so. He got you into the mess, and he (or Farage) should have to put up. But not with nebulous stories of grandeur, patriotism and lies, but with the real thing.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 05-02-19, 07:09 AM   #9836
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
It is not about Tories or Whigs. You have a constitutional crisis. Decisions are being delayed, again and again, 'until the future of the UK can be decided!, but "there is no idea or future to see for the british economy" as Mr. Heseltine has said long before.
Delaying decisions have no positive effect. They should have started right after the referendum, there is no need for a pm to do that. And whoever is or will be prime minister will do the same. The negotioations are and will be the same with whoever is pm.

Old but still true, and it only has got worse:

It is like i have said two years ago, let Boris Johnson lead the negotiations, to show us the EU and the UK what he actually wants to do and negotiate, and how bright brexit is. He would not have been to be a PM for doing so. He got you into the mess, and he (or Farage) should have to put up. But not with nebulous stories of grandeur, patriotism and lies, but with the real thing.
Agreed

Old 05-02-19, 07:11 AM   #9837
STEED
Lucky Jack

MayBot is going no where because there is no one to replace her, these morons from MP's to grass roots level are so blinded and hell bent on just the short term home goal. Yes without doubt she has been a bloody walking disaster right from the days of her in the Home Office but she has the Ace card called Jezzer.

Old 05-02-19, 07:23 AM   #9838
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
As a relatively new defence secretary, Gavin Williamson once said that Russia should "go away and shut up".

Well, the prime minister has told him to go away because in her view, he did not shut up.

In a leak investigation, that has broken the precedent of most leak investigations that end up with precisely no result at all, a rapid hunt of just a few days has resulted in the sacking of one of the most senior ministers in government, and one of the few ministers frankly, that the prime minister could more or less rely on.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48128188
You know what they say...'What goes around, comes around'

Old 05-02-19, 10:01 AM   #9839
STEED
Lucky Jack

Icon10

Old 05-03-19, 05:47 AM   #9840
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

With just about all the votes counted here are the key points of yesterdays local elections.

Quote:
The Conservatives have lost control of 19 councils - including Peterborough, Basildon and St Albans. Labour has lost control of three - Hartlepool, Bolsover and Wirral.

Labour has also lost its mayoral post in Middlesbrough to an independent.

The Conservatives have won two councils - Walsall and North East Lincolnshire - both of which had no party with overall control before.

The Liberal Democrats have gained eight councils - including Winchester, North Norfolk, Cotswold, Bath and North East Somerset and Vale of White Horse.

Labour has won one council - Trafford - a former Conservative stronghold.

Where independent candidates have been standing, they have won on average 25% of the vote - and independents have taken control of two councils - Ashfield and North Kesteven.

The Green Party has gained 42 councillors so far, while UKIP has lost 54.

Turnout is averaging just one or two points below the last two local elections, reversing predictions of a major drop off in voters.
It could and perhaps should have been so much worse for the Tories but Labour really don't have the confidence of the public whilst Steptoe is at the helm.

Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics