SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-09-23, 03:51 PM   #901
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

The problem are people like Musk. His employees are the ones with ideas, he only provides money. When he tries to enter politics, shoot him
Seriously, he is a joke.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-23, 04:34 PM   #902
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Publicly available GPS satellites and open source GPS software can handle the job.
Given the Billions (Many times over!) One shouldn't need Starlink to start with.
Throw in Open Source AI? I don't see the problem.
Might work for a time, but civilian gps signals can be jammed in selective areas by friend or foe. Might be part of the reason Russia reroutes or cancels flights within its airspace. Who knows for sure, I’m just making up as I go along anyway.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-23, 04:37 PM   #903
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
The problem are people like Musk. His employees are the ones with ideas, he only provides money. When he tries to enter politics, shoot him
Seriously, he is a joke.

Well he is a self made billionaire so that joke has done far better in life than you have. Does that make you an even bigger joke that him?

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-23, 04:59 PM   #904
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 131

And exactly how many of us poor folks are running this War?

My guess is not a single freaking person in control only has the money I have.

I'd wage War on the people in power in my tiny Village but can't afford to.
Now if my Lotto tickets hit? I'm all in for a small War here!
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-23, 05:22 PM   #905
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Seriously, he is a joke.
Bloomberg Billionaires Index

https://www.bloomberg.com/billionair...usk/#xj4y7vzkg

Quote:
229 billion dollar net worth

Education: University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania

Born in South Africa to an engineer father and nutritionist mother, Musk left home as a 17-year-old for college in Canada, in part to avoid serving in the apartheid-era South African army. After graduating from the University of Pennsylvania with degrees in physics and economics, he enrolled at Stanford University. He dropped out after his first few days to pursue his three main areas of interest: the Internet, clean energy and space.

He created an online publishing platform called Zip2 in 1995 and sold it four years later for more than $300 million. He reinvested some of the proceeds to start X.com, an online payment system. He would merge that with what eventually became PayPal, the e-commerce site that was ultimately sold to eBay for $1.5 billion in 2002.

His next project: SpaceX, a closely held rocket company that was tapped by NASA to take over space shuttle's role of resupplying the International Space Station. A year later, he co-founded Tesla, the company that produced the world's first all-electric, zero-emission sports car in 2010. In the same year the company sold shares in a public offering.

His third company, SolarCity, was a provider of solar power systems. SolarCity sold shares in a public offering in 2012 and was bought by Tesla on Nov. 21, 2016.

Musk, who has said he intends to retire on planet Mars, joined Warren Buffett's Giving Pledge in April 2012.

Tesla became the world's most valuable carmaker in July 2020 and further gains led to Musk becoming the world's richest person in January 2021. He announced in October 2021 that Tesla would move its headquarters from Palo Alto, California to Austin, Texas.

In April 2022 Musk made an offer to buy Twitter Inc for $44 billion after acquiring a stake in the social-media firm. After its board agreed to recommend the deal, Musk spent months trying to terminate it. Musk eventually purchased Twitter in October 2022.

Milestones
1971 Elon Musk is born in Pretoria, South Africa.
1981 Buys first computer at age 10.
1983 Creates and sells his first commercial software game, Blastar.
1999 Develops an online payment system called X.com.
2000 Merges X.com with PayPal's parent company, Cofinity.
2002 PayPal acquired by eBay for $1.5 billion.
2002 Establishes SpaceX in a former airplane hangar near LAX.
2003 Begins designing the all-electric Tesla Roadster.
2008 SpaceX delivers its first satellite into space.
2010 Tesla Motors begins trading on the NASDAQ stock exchange.
2022 Purchases social-media company Twitter Inc for $44 billion.

Call me crazy but it seems to me the jokes on you.

Old 09-09-23, 05:24 PM   #906
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The declaration of the G20 summit is a bad joke but shows where the journey is heading. Western nations should have boycotted it. Better no - useless - paper, than this one.
Old 09-10-23, 07:59 AM   #907
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-23, 01:42 PM   #908
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Is the video real or is it a fake ?

Markus

Old 09-10-23, 02:22 PM   #909
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

G20 statement drops reference to Russia aggression ‘against’ Ukraine

Joint language does not condemn Moscow’s invasion after China refused to repeat critical wording

https://archive.ph/etSf1

Quote:
Henry Foy, John Reed and James Politi in New Delhi, and Joe Leahy in Beijing 9 HOURS AGO

Western countries have struggled to convince developing nations to condemn Russia’s invasion of Ukraine © AFP via Getty Images

G20 leaders have failed to condemn Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in a joint statement after China and Russia rejected language that blamed Moscow for the conflict, highlighting the lack of global consensus in support of Kyiv. The New Delhi summit declaration(opens a new window) refers only to the “war in Ukraine”, a formulation that supporters of Kyiv such as the US and Nato allies have previously rejected as it implies both sides are equally complicit. That statement, hammered out over weeks of negotiations between diplomats, is a blow to western countries that have spent the past year attempting to convince developing countries to condemn Moscow and support Ukraine.

The previous G20 declaration, made in Indonesia last November, referred to “aggression by the Russian Federation against Ukraine”. Western diplomats said China’s refusal to repeat that formulation was critical in pushing host India to propose compromise language.

Referring to the war, India’s external affairs minister S Jaishankar said: “It is a fact that this is today a very polarising issue and there are multiple views on this. There are a spectrum of views on this, so I think in all fairness it was only right to record what was the reality in the meeting rooms.”

A spokesman for Ukraine’s foreign ministry said in response to the statement: “In terms of Russia’s aggression against Ukraine, the Group of Twenty has nothing to be proud of. It is obvious that the participation of the Ukrainian side would allow the participants to better understand the situation.”

The declaration also contains a pledge by the leaders of the world’s biggest economies to “pursue and encourage efforts to triple renewable energy capacity globally”, but does not include any deadline for phasing out fossil fuels. China and Saudi Arabia led efforts to block such language in G20 meetings in July.

Adopting the declaration will be a foreign policy coup for India and its prime minister Narendra Modi, after speculation that divisions over Ukraine were too large to be bridged. Modi will face voters in a poll in which he will be seeking re-election to a third term in early 2024.

“We highlighted the human suffering and negative added impacts of the war in Ukraine with regard to global food and energy security, supply chains, macro-financial stability, inflation and growth,” the joint statement said. “There were different views and assessments of the situation.”

The declaration called for a “just and durable peace in Ukraine” but did not explicitly link that demand to the importance of Ukraine’s territorial integrity, as western countries had pushed for. It also did not include the statement from the 2022 version that noted “most members strongly condemned the war”.

The deletion of western criticism of Russia allowed the G20 to find agreement on other issues such as a pledge to restart exports of Ukrainian grain through the Black Sea, said one senior western official present at the summit, who said compromise was necessary to maintain consensus.

“The option that we had is text or no text. And I think the right answer is text,” the official said. “You keep the [G20] platform and the organisation alive.”
Jake Sullivan, the US national security adviser, nonetheless said the declaration had a “set of consequential paragraphs” on the war in Ukraine.

“From our perspective, it does a very good job of standing up for the principle that states cannot use force to seek territorial acquisition . . . that the use of nuclear weapons is inadmissible, that a just peace must be based on the principles of the UN Charter,” he added.

Overall, the statement was a “vote of confidence that the G20 can come together to address a pressing range of issues, and also to deal with hard issues that actually very much divide some members from others”, Sullivan said.

India, which styles itself as a leader of the so-called Global South group of developing countries, also succeeded in its campaign to have the G20 induct the African Union as a full member.

The joint statement also makes reference to digital public infrastructure, that India has been promoting as a template for financial inclusion and economic productivity gains during its presidency after its own successful push to bring more than 1bn people online.

Hanging over the summit was the still unexplained absence of China’s president Xi Jinping. He skipped the meeting for the first time and instead sent the country’s second-ranked cadre, Premier Li Qiang in what some analysts have described as a “snub”.

But the wording of the communique still reflected many Chinese talking points, such as that the G20 should limit itself to international economic issues and the language on Ukraine and nuclear weapons. China has also heavily touted its role in supporting African Union membership.

In his address to the Summit, Li said the G20 needed “unity instead of division, co-operation instead of confrontation, and inclusion instead of exclusion”, according to state-run news agency Xinhua.

The remarks are in line with China’s portrayal of the US and its allies as pushing “bloc confrontation” and engaging in a “Cold War mentality”.
Additional reporting by Christopher Miller in Kyiv

Old 09-10-23, 02:52 PM   #910
kpv1974
Helmsman

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
G20 statement drops reference to Russia aggression ‘against’ Ukraine

Joint language does not condemn Moscow’s invasion after China refused to repeat critical wording

https://archive.ph/etSf1

Confrontation of technologies.

kpv1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-23, 03:39 PM   #911
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Extra update from Denys

Markus

Old 09-10-23, 04:58 PM   #912
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Clock is ticking.

[BBC] Gen Milley said it was too early to say whether the counter-offensive had failed, but said Ukraine was "progressing at a very steady pace through the Russian front lines".

"There's still a reasonable amount of time, probably about 30 to 45 days' worth of fighting weather left, so the Ukrainians aren't done.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66763868

Nobody in a sane mind would have expected this offensive to be the one to end the war, there will be more later on, next year. Question is whether the current offensive acchieved enough "reward" in PR terms so that the West will give sufficient support for the next push. 2024 is voting in important countries, or campaigning for elections, many countries and the West are tired of the war. On the mood front, things turn drastically against Ukraine. Putin expected that and waited for that to happen all time long.
Old 09-11-23, 10:54 AM   #913
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Markus

Old 09-11-23, 01:17 PM   #914
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Markus

Old 09-11-23, 01:43 PM   #915
Dargo
Admiral

Downloads: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Clock is ticking.

[BBC] Gen Milley said it was too early to say whether the counter-offensive had failed, but said Ukraine was "progressing at a very steady pace through the Russian front lines".

"There's still a reasonable amount of time, probably about 30 to 45 days' worth of fighting weather left, so the Ukrainians aren't done.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66763868

Nobody in a sane mind would have expected this offensive to be the one to end the war, there will be more later on, next year. Question is whether the current offensive acchieved enough "reward" in PR terms so that the West will give sufficient support for the next push. 2024 is voting in important countries, or campaigning for elections, many countries and the West are tired of the war. On the mood front, things turn drastically against Ukraine. Putin expected that and waited for that to happen all time long.
Ukraine attrition warfare does not care for a bit of mud, I believe this was Putin expectation to win this what backfires also this is not a deep fast offensive exhausting Russia can be done for months. Russia can not man all the fronts, it is becoming weaker by the day the amount of artillery they lost is causing big problems troops are unprotected the constant starving of ammo is paying off. Stop thinking the NATO doctrine would ever worked here it did not as we have seen in the first weeks Ukraine does it their way they do the fighting they do this more than 500 days I recon they know better how to defeat Russia than we.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
A victorious Destroyer is like a ton against an ounce.
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote