Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-26-15, 03:12 PM   #886
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Not one word what the Koenigsberg crew did, what they did with the only german plane in DOA, that german civilian ships were attacked in neutral harbours (e.g. Mozambique) by english waships...
You're reading more into it than there is. If I leave out the doings on one side it's because I don't have that information. If you'll recall, I gave much more information on Graf Spee and other German activities when I had it. Most of my day-to-day information is coming from the ships' logs, which I don't have for the Germans. You haven't mentioned that I've been posting a lot more on the German side of the air war. Whatever information is there I put up.

Quote:
If i only had time ...
There is so much more detail available. I've been hoping that someone interested would step up and chronicle details of the land war from both sides. So many good stories are going missing.

Now, I will say this for what I hope is the last time. This thread is for chronicling this days happenings. Please keep all discussions, thoughts, complaints and ideas here. It's what that thread is for.
Old 06-27-15, 05:30 AM   #887
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
As much as i like the thread, it continuously takes me wonder how only the Entente side is being quoted, and discussed. Not one word what the Koenigsberg crew did, what they did with the only german plane in DOA, that german civilian ships were attacked in neutral harbours (e.g. Mozambique) by english waships, how the crews managed to survive or flee to the Rufiji Delta, what the real 'African Queen' Graf Goetzen did a.s.o. a.s.o.

If i only had time ... and yes i still like it all the same
I'll also add that my article on the Emden was actually one I found that supported the German side of events....when I come across an article with differing views from those of the Entente I will and do report them but my time is also limited and I can only post those that more or less 'jump out' at you.

I'll echo what Steve said...

Quote:
Now, I will say this for what I hope is the last time. This thread is for chronicling this days happenings. Please keep all discussions, thoughts, complaints and ideas here. It's what that thread is for.
...and invite as many contributors as is possible but would ask for sensible and specific input.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-15, 05:44 AM   #888
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

27th June 1915

Western Front

French repulse German attacks on the heights of the Meuse and at Metzeral.

Hand to hand fighting occurs on the French salient north of Arras, called “the Labyrinth.” Flamethrowers & poison gas are deployed.

Eastern Front

Germans occupy Halicz, and advance to the Bug.

Russians retreat from the line of the Dniester to Gnila-Lipa line.

Russian attacks break down north of Przasnysz.

Southern Front

Dardanelles: British carry four Turkish lines near Krithia.

Serbians capture island of Michaiska (Danube).

Naval and Overseas Operations

St George's Channel
Admiralty squadron supply ship (and two, probably three other vessels) attacked by U.24 (Rudolf Schneider):

INDRANI (2), 3,640/1888, Donaldson Line (Donaldson Bros, managers), Glasgow-reg, hired 4/8/14 as RFA, probably not commissioned, Pennant No.Y9.7, sailing Glasgow for Montreal with general cargo. Captured by U.24, sunk by torpedo 40 miles W of The Smalls, E of Milford Haven (L/te/un/wi - 36 miles SW of Tuskar Rock, off Rosslare; L/te/wi - also in 51.45N, 06.50W).

Italy agrees to send naval support to the Allied fleet operations in the Dardanelles.

Coast of Asia Minor opposite Chios bombarded by H.M.S. "Hussar".

Ship Losses:

Edith ( United Kingdom): The schooner was shelled and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 10 nautical miles (19 km) south east of Capel Island, County Cork by SM U-24 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Indrani ( United Kingdom): The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in St. George's Channel 36 nautical miles (67 km) south west of the Tuskar Rock by SM U-24 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Lucena ( United Kingdom: The coaster was shelled and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 4 nautical miles (7.4 km) south of Capel Island by SM U-24 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.

President Wilson with his granddaughter today.

Old 06-27-15, 09:39 AM   #889
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

June 27:

Air War: Austro-Hungarian crew of pilot Gottfried Freiherr von Banfield (Croatia) and observer Heribert Stroble Edler von Ravelsberg (Austria), in a Lohner 'T' flying boat, destroy an Italian balloon. Victory number 1 for both.

While returning from bombing a Zeppelin shed near Rhinefelden, French pilot Eugene Gilbert, the world's second ace, suffers an engine failure and is interned in Switzerland.

Celtic Sea: Rudolf Schneider, commanding U-24, starts his third war patrol with multiple attacks. British sailing vessel Edith, 97 tons, is stopped and sunk while carrying a load of plaster of paris from Silloth to Cork. SS Indrani, 3,640 tons, is sunk while en route from Glasgow to Montreal with a general cargo. SS Lucena, 243 tons, is stopped and sunk while carrying coal from Branton to Bantry.

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 06-27-15 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Wrong date
Sailor Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-15, 10:02 AM   #890
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

28th June 1915

Western Front

French advance at Souchez.

Eastern Front

Continued Russian retreat in Galicia.

German and Austro-Hungarian troops push against the San River line from the south towards Warsaw.

Southern Front

Dardanelles: British attack Achi Baba.

Allied bombardment begins on Gully Spur at Gallipoli, starting the Battle of Gully Ravine.

SS Armenian is sunk by a U-boat off the coast of Cornwall, resulting in 29 deaths, mostly Americans, & the loss of its cargo of 1400 mules.
http://www.warmule.org/ss-armenian

German warships bombard Windau (Baltic).

Political etc.

German military government of Belgium agrees that Belgians can keep wheat and rye crops for civilian use.

Italy breaks off relations with the Ottoman Empire.

Today marks the one year anniversary of the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria.

Ship Losses:

Armenian ( United Kingdom): The White Star Line-owned cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean (50°40′N 6°24′W) by SM U-24 ( Kaiserliche Marine) with the loss of 29 crew. Survivors were rescued by President Stevens ( Belgium).
Dumfriesshire ( United Kingdom): The barque was torpedoed and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 25 nautical miles (46 km) off the Smalls Lighthouse by SM U-24 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.

Old 06-28-15, 10:04 AM   #891
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

June 28:

Celtic Sea: Off the coast of Cornwall Rudolf Schneider, commanding U-24, sinks the British sailing ship Dumfriesshire, 2,622 tons, bound from San Francisco to Dublin with a load of barley. He then sinks SS Armenian, 8,825 tons, carrying a cargo of mules from Newport News to Avonmouth. His score now stands at 10 ships and 35,158 tons.

German East Africa: HMS Mersey's gun crews spend the morning carrying out signal excercises with the land-based aeroplanes.

HMS Severn does the same in the afternoon.
Old 06-29-15, 12:56 PM   #892
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

29th June 1915

Western Front

German artillery target Soissons Cathedral, claiming that the French set up an observation post there.

Eastern Front

Austro-Germans advance towards the Vistula and the Bug.

Russians repulse an attack near Halicz.

Russians are forced back along a 250 mile front. Several more towns in southern Poland fall to Austro-Hungarian and German forces.

Southern Front

Dardanelles: Turkish counter-attacks repulsed with heavy loss.

Political, etc.

David Mason, member of the House of Commons, asks Premier Asquith to outline specific requirements of Britain’s terms of peace.

National Registration Bill introduced by Mr. Walter Long.

Ship Losses:

Cambuskenneth ( Norway): The full-rigged ship was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 26 nautical miles (48 km) south west by south of Galley Head, County Cork, United Kingdom by SM U-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Glynymel ( United Kingdom): The cargo ship broke in two at Devonport, Devon whilst discharging a cargo of coal.
Kotka ( Norway): The sailing ship was damaged in the Atlantic Ocean 30 nautical miles (56 km) south west by west of the Bull Rock Lighthouse, County Cork by SM U-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine). She was beached but was later refloated, repaired and returned to service.

Austro-Hungarian soldiers in a captured Russian trench in Galicia.

Old 06-29-15, 01:10 PM   #893
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

June 29:

Celtic Sea: Rudolf Schneider, commanding U-24, sinks SS Scottish Monarch, 5,043 tons, bound from New York to Manchester with a general cargo. His score is now 11 ships and 40,201 tons.

Walter Forstmann, in U-39, sinks Norwegian sailing ship Cambuskenneth, 1,924 tons, travelling from Portland, Oregon to Queenstown with a cargo of wheat. He then damages Norwegian sailing ship Kotka, 952 tons, en route from Stockton Springs, Maine (US) to Cork with a load of timber. The damaged ship is beached and later refloated. Forstmann's score is now 10 ships and 5,233 tons.

German East Africa: At 0520 HMS Severn casts of from Trent and anchors for firing practice at 0600. At this time the stern anchor is lost overboard, along with a reel of 3" wire. Firing practice is continued anyway, along with aircraft spotting. At 0920 Severn anchors over the location of the stern anchor and begins recovery operations. The anchor and wire are recovered at 1000. The crew spend the afternoon stowing wire hawsers and petrol tins and cleaning the guns.

HMS Mersey follows Severn at 0550. At 0620 she is moored in postition, and starts firing practice and aeroplane spotting at 0700. Conditions are described as "unfavourable", and Mersey secures at 0740, and weighs anchor at 0755. By 0825 she is tied up alongside Trent. The afternoon is spent cleaning guns and loading stores.
Old 06-29-15, 01:35 PM   #894
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default CAMBUSKENNETH; so much for loyalty

On June 29th, 1915, the Cambuskenneth almost had reached their destination Queenstown in Ireland. But in the late evening, about 8 o'clock p.m. the crew heard a cannon shot. No crewmate was able to determine where the shot was fired. But then they saw spraying water only about 300 feet away - it was U 39. The mate of the Cambuskenneth confided to the submarine by signs: "Hier sind Deutsche an Bord. Wir schicken ein Boot." (Here are Germans aboard. We'll send a boat).
So the mate and two of the Germans, Hein and Löffler, rowed in a life-boat to the submarine. The commander of the submarine gave orders that all Germans had to come aboard the u-boat, while all other crew mates had to board a life boat. The seven Germans>
When all crew members had left the Cambuskenneth, she was sunk by five shells of the deck cannon by U 39.
The Cambuskenneth has been only four hours away from their destinatinon when she was sunk - after a journey which lasted 138 days. <This photo of the Cambuskenneth was taken by Captain Poyser, the 3rd officer of the "Statesman" - a ship which passed by on June 23rd, 1915 - only six days before the Cambuskenneth was sunk by U 39. The crew is just asking by flag signals whether the first world war is still enduring. Nothing like finding out first hand???!!!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-15, 08:10 AM   #895
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

30th June 1915

Western Front

Failure of German attacks at Bagatelle (Argonne) and Metzeral.

Eastern Front

Germans cross Gnila Lipa line.

Austro-German advance from Tomashov.

Germans claim 150,650 prisoners in June.

Southern Front

Dardanelles: French take six lines of Turkish trenches.

General Henri Gouraud, commander of the French forces at the Dardanelles, is wounded and loses his right arm.

Naval

North Sea
LIGHTNING, destroyer, A-class, 320t, 1895, 1‑12pdr/5‑6pdr/2‑18in tt, 27kts, Pennant No.N.23, Nore Local Defence Flotilla, Lt James Cavendish. Floating mine spotted by destroyer Vulture in the morning near Kentish Knock LV in Thames estuary, and more reported in the afternoon by the light vessel. Vulture and Lightning ordered out to sink them, three were exploded around 2000, and as the destroyers searched for more, Lightning suffered a large explosion which lifted her out of the water and broke her back. Mine, laid by UC.1 (Egon von Werner) that morning, forepart sank off Kentish Knock LV (wi - in 51.04.22N, 01.19.02E; dx - off Wielingen LV, Zeebrugge); 15 ratings lost (He – 14 died). After part remained afloat, secured between trawlers Javelin and Libra, and taken back to Sheerness, but not worth repairing and broken up. Note: the first submarine mines were laid by UC.1, 2, 3, 11 in the Harwich and Dover areas.

Irish Sea
THISTLE IV, Admiralty drifter, 71/1906, Inverness-reg INS163, hired 5/15 as net tender, Admiralty No.2861. Rammed by Elder-Dempster liner Tarquah (3,859grt) in belief the vessel was a U-boat, sank off Great Orme's Head, Llandudno (wi - in 53.22N 03.52W); no lives lost.

Political, etc.

News of the German sinking of the SS Armenian, which resulted in 22 American deaths, causes US-German relations to deteriorate.

Germany urges Austria-Hungary to cede land to Romania to ensure its continued neutrality.

Welsh miners' dispute settled.

Changes in Russian Cabinet.

Ship Losses:

HMS Lightning ( Royal Navy): The Janus-class destroyer struck a mine in the Thames Estuary off the Kentish Knock lightship ( United Kingdom). She broke in two, the bow section sinking with the loss of fifteen of her crew. The stern section was towed to Sheerness, Kent where it was later scrapped.
Lomas: ( United Kingdom): The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 65 nautical miles (120 km) west of the Bishop Rock, Isles of Scilly (49°30′N 8°15′W) by SM U-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine) with the loss of a crew member.
Scottish Monarch ( United Kingdom): The cargo ship was shelled and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 40 nautical miles (74 km) south of the Ballycotton Lighthouse, County Cork (51°10′N 8°00′W) by SM U-24 ( Kaiserliche Marine) with the loss of fifteen of her seventeen crew. The survivors were rescued by the trawler 483 ( United Kingdom).
HMT Thistle IV ( Royal Navy): The naval trawler collided with another vessel in the Irish Sea off Great Orme Head, Caernarfonshire and sank.
Thistlebank ( Norway): The barque was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 25 nautical miles (46 km) south west of the Fastnet Rock (51°09′N 9°50′W) by SM U-24 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
SM UC-2 ( Kaiserliche Marine): The Type UC 1 submarine struck a mine and sank in the North Sea off Lowestoft, Suffolk, United Kingdom.

MERCHANT SHIPPING
British, Allied and Neutral ships lost to enemy submarines, mines and cruisers etc in the month - 128 ships of 131,000 tons gross (Lloyd's War Losses).

Old 06-30-15, 08:46 AM   #896
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

June 30:

Celtic Sea: Rudolf Schneider, commanding U-24, sinks Norwegian barque SV Thistlebank, 2,411 tons, bound from Bahia Blanca to Queenstown with a cargo of wheat. His score now stands at 12 ships and 42,612 tons.

Walter Forstmann, in U-39, sinks British freighter SS Lomas, 3,048 tons, travelling from La Plata to Belfast with a load of maize (corn). His score is now 11 ships and 8,281 tons.

German East Africa: HMS Laconia records a forequarter of beef lost overboard while hoisting aboard from tug Revenger.

The crews of HMS Mersey and Severn spend the day coaling and cleaning.
Old 07-01-15, 07:05 AM   #897
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1st July 1915

Eastern Front

Germans (Mackensen) occupy Zamosc (near Upper Bug).

Germans (Linsingen) cross Gnila Lipa south of Rohatyn (Galicia).

Russians evacuate bridgehead near Tarlov (Vistula).

Aviation

German Leutnant Kurt Wintgens, flying a production prototype of the Fokker Eindecker fighter armed with a Parabellum MG14 gun, achieves the first aerial victory using a synchronization gear which allows a machine gun to shoot through a turning propeller without hitting its blades.

Otavi (south-west Africa) occupied by General Botha.

North Sea
Cameo, Admiralty trawler, 172/1898, Hull-reg, hired 2/15, 1-12pdr (ap - 3pdr), Skipper Albert Sayers, on patrol with trawlers Sea Ranger and Eastward Ho!, all Peterhead-based. July - Cameo sighted U-boat, headed in its direction and was fired at, returned fire and hit three times, Eastward Ho! came up and submarine headed away on the surface; skipper wounded and awarded DSC, gunner the DSM.

Hampshire, armoured cruiser, Devonshire-class, 7th CS Grand Fleet. Reported a torpedo fired at her in Moray Firth, confirmed as attacked by U.25. Twelve destroyers and local patrol vessels sent to hunt for the attacker, but without success.

Atlantic off NW Scotland
Patuca, Admiralty armed merchant cruiser, 6,103/1913, hired 21/11/14, 10th CS Northern Patrol, on line C to NW of Hebrides on lookout for the blockade-running Swedish SS Oscar II, sighted and stopped early morning. Oscar II hit Patuca crushing her own bows and then crashed alongside, hull-to-hull before Patuca's propeller holed the Swede's engine-room. Patuca's plates bulged and propeller flange bent, made seaworthy with collision mats, shoring and cement infill, made for Clyde as ordered at 14kts. Oscar II taken in tow by AMC Digby and ABS Royal Scot, assisted by destroyers Fury and Staunch, but sank after two days.

Atlantic off SW England
Two auxiliaries (and three more British vessels) captured and sunk by U.39 (Walter Forstmann) off Cornwall:

CAUCASIAN, Admiralty chartered red-ensign oiler, 4,656/1899, Petroleum SS Co (Lane & Macandrew), London-reg, Mr F Robinson, London for New Orleans with creosote. Sunk by gunfire 80 miles S of Lizard Point (L - 60 miles SW of).

INGLEMOOR, Admiralty collier, 4,331/1912, Moor Line (W Runciman & Co), London-reg, Mr A Stonehouse, Barry for Malta with coal and general cargo. Sunk by torpedo 75 miles SW by W of Lizard Point (L - 60 miles SW of).

Political, etc.

British Commission on trade with Sweden arrives Stockholm.

Total German casualties to date, reckoned at 1,700,000, of which 306,000 killed, and 500,000 permanently disabled.

Italian government orders its consuls in the Ottoman Empire to leave as soon as possible.

France suffers from decreasing birthrates, which was 1000 per day in 1914, but recorded only 356 births in the week of June 6 to 12.

U.S. sees a positive trade balance of $1 billion, a record, mostly due to increased exports in foodstuffs.

Ship Losses:

Caucasian ( United Kingdom): The tanker was shelled and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 80 nautical miles (150 km) south west of The Lizard, Cornwall by SM U-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her 38 crew survived.
Craigard ( United Kingdom): The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 50 nautical miles (93 km) south west by south of the Wolf Rock, Cornwall (48°18′N 6°10′W) by SM U-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Gadsby ( United Kingdom): The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 25 nautical miles (46 km) south south west of the Wolf Rock (49°23′N 5°52′W) by SM U-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Inglemoor ( United Kingdom): The collier was torpedoed and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 75 nautical miles (139 km) south west by west of The Lizard by SM U-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her 33 crew survived.
L. C. Tower ( United Kingdom): The schooner was intercepted, set afire, and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean off the Fastnet Rock (50°56′N 10°04′W) by SM U-24 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Richmond ( United Kingdom): The cargo ship was shelled and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 54 nautical miles (100 km) south west by west of the Wolf Rock 49°11′N 6°10′W) by SM U-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Sardomene ( Italy): The full-rigged ship was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 35 nautical miles (65 km) south west of the Fastnet Rock by SM U-24 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Welbury ( United Kingdom): The cargo ship was shelled and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 40 nautical miles (74 km) west of the Fastnet Rock by SM U-24 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.

Old 07-01-15, 08:08 AM   #898
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

July 1:

Air War: Lt. Kurt Wintgens, flying from Feldflieger Abteilung (FFA) 6b in Fokker M5k/MG E.5/15, attacks a Morane-Saulnier 'L' parasol two-seater. Convinced he has shot the enemy plane down, Wintgens files a claim. Since the Morane landed behind its own lines this claim is denied and listed as 'u/c' (unconfirmed). Capitaine Paul de Peuty and Sous-Lieutenant de Boutiny report the attack. Both Frenchmen were wounded and their engine damaged, but de Peuty managed to land the Morane safely. Whether this should be listed as an official victory is questionable, and today the 'unconfirmed' status still stands.

Kurt Wintgens in the cockpit of E.5/15

Celtic Sea: Rudolf Schneider, commanding U-24, captures and burns British sailing ship SV L.C. Tower, 518 tons, bound from Parrsboro, Nova Scotia to Newport, Wales, with a load of deals (boards). He then torpedoes Italian sailing ship Sardomene, 2,000 tons, heading from Bunbury to London with a cargo of java wood. He then sinks SS Welbury, 3,591 tons, carrying a load of sugar from Kingston, Jamaica to Queenstown. Schneider's score is now 15 ships and 48,721 tons.

Walter Forstmann, in U-39, sinks British tanker SS Caucasian, 4,656 tons, en route from London to New Orleans with a load of creosote. Next is SS Craigard, 3,286 tons, travelling from Galveston, Texas to Le Havre with a cargo of cotton. He then sinks SS Gadsby, 3,497 tons, carrying a load of wheat from Sydney, Nova Scotia to London. Fourth is SS Inglemoor, 4,331 tons, bound from Barry to Malta with a load of coal plus general cargo. Last is SS Richmond, 3,214 tons, en route from Gulfport to Boulogne with a cargo of sleepers (a sleeper is a heavy timber piece used as foundation flooring). All this brings Forstmann's score to 17 ships and 27,625 tons.

German East Africa: In the morning HMS Mersey and Severn practice gun drills. In the afternoon the crews practice blind firing with signals from the aircraft.

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 07-01-15 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Spelling
Sailor Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-15, 10:27 AM   #899
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

2nd July 1915

Western Front

German success near Four de Paris (Argonne); severe fighting; enemy repulsed near Blanleuil.

Eastern Front

Austrians (Archduke Josef Ferdinand ) occupy Krasnik; heavy Austro-Russian engagements between Vistula and Bug.

Southern Front

Great battle for Carso Plateau begins.

Italians nearing Tolmino (Jul.).

Italian mountaineers succeed in blowing up electric works supplying power and light to Austrian forts defending Trentino.

German cruiser "Pommern" sunk by British submarine in Danzig Bay.

SMS Albatross, German cruiser, is run aground after an engagement with Russian ships in the Battle of Aland Islands.

Political, etc.

Munitions Bill sent to House of Lords after third reading.

John D. Redmond, leader of the Irish Nationalist Party, states 120,741 Irishmen have enlisted, including 70,000 Catholics.

Ship Losses:

Boudougnat ( Belgium): The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the English Channel south of Lizard Point, Cornwall, United Kingdom 949°11′N 5°36′W) by SM U-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Eva ( United Kingdom): The schooner departed Wicklow for the River Mersey. Presumed foundered in the Irish Sea with the loss of all hands. Wreckage from the vessel washed up on Anglesey.
Hirondelle ( France): The sailing vessel was sunk in the English Channel 40 nautical miles (74 km) north of Ouessant, Finistère (49°10′N 5°46′W) by SM U-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
17 OS ( Regia Marina): The PN-class torpedo boat struck one of her own mines and sank in the Adriatic Sea off the Istrian Peninsula, Austria-Hungary.
SMS Albatross ( Kaiserliche Marine): Minelaying Cruiser was severely damaged off the island of Gotland in a battle with Russian cruisers and forced to beach herself in neutral Swedish waters. The ship was salvaged after the war, in 1921.

Old 07-02-15, 10:34 AM   #900
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

July 2:

Washington D.C.: German-American teacher Eric Muenter, under the assumed name Frank Holt, hides a bomb containing three sticks of dynamite in the US Capitol. Finding the Senate chamber locked, Muenter plants the bomb and timer in the Senate reception room under a telephone switchboard. The bomb explodes at 2340, but causes no casualties. By this time Muenter has fled to New York, where he manages to place a second bomb aboard SS Minnehaha, loaded with munitions for Britain.

English Channel: Walter Forstmann, Commanding U-39, stops and sinks French schooner SV Hirondell, 183 tons, bount from La Rochelle to Swansea with a load of pitwood. He then sinks Belgian freighter SS Boduognat, 1,411 tons, carrying pit props from Bayonne to Barry. Lastly he attacks SS City Of Edinburgh, 6,255 tons, but the damaged steamer makes it safely to port. Forstmann's score now stands at 19 ships and 29,219 tons.

German East Africa: At 0535 hours HMS Mersey and Severn weigh anchor and head for Barakuni Island. By 0600 they are again practicing indirect fire, with the landplanes based at Mafia spotting for them. By 0800 they are back at their anchorage. At 1005 Mersey receives 1,200 sandbags brought by dhows. At 1600 the two monitors are again at gunnery practice with full charges and lyddite shells.