SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-26-11, 02:35 PM   #886
dom111
Seaman

Downloads: 207
Uploads: 0

Great job, guys. The RFB mod is my favourite mod for the American Pacific Campaign, it's a fantastic piece of work.

Best regards.

Last edited by dom111; 07-27-11 at 04:21 AM.
dom111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-11, 12:44 PM   #887
White Owl
Loader

Downloads: 66
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCaptain View Post
It seems that the speech set #1 is the only one being used with RFB. There's no voice variety. Most of the time the DO, OOD and helmsman use the same voice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFF View Post
It's just the way the game randomizes the voices for each crewman. All the different speech sets can be and are used in RFB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCaptain View Post
Luke, thanks for answering. I guess there's something wrong with my installation then. I ran a test using a program called "Process Monitor" to log what files are being accessed from the sound\speech folder and sure enough only voice set #1 was being used. It didn't matter what mission I chose, what time I started my career or what boat I used. I only have RFB + latest patch installed:

I have multiple SH4 installations using TMO and RFB. I did the same test with TMO and it works just fine. It has more voice randomization, for example in a single mission it would have ChE from set #1, helmsman(using ChE voice) from set #4, NaO from set #3, and WaO from set #2. Maybe TMO has a better speech implementation and RFB uses the default one. I wouldn't know because I never played vanilla SH4.

I'm not a "modder" so this is just a guess but I also noticed that the file CrewMembers.upc has the value Voice= assigned to different numbers in TMO and assigned to NULL in RFB. Would that have anything to do with the choice of which voice to use?

I started playing TMO before trying RFB so maybe I just got used to hearing my crew with different voices This is in no way a deal breaker, it's probably just a personal preference. Like I said I really enjoy all the RFB improvements to the game, I was just hoping there was a tweak or something for the voices.
I'm experiencing the same issue as NewCaptain here. My crew only has one voice. I found these posts, but never saw that anybody solved the problem.

Second problem, also a minor one: the ingame music won't play, ever.

Other than these small issues, I'm really enjoying the mod. RFB is great!

I've tried the mod soup fix, with identical results, so I guess there's a conflict somewhere, and need to figure out where so I can edit it. I'm running:
RFB 2.0
RFB_2.0_Patch_23April2010
RSRDC_RFB_V575
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
MaxOptics IV for RFB 2.0
MaxOptics Binocular for RFB
3000 Yard Bearing Tool (1680x)
Keldunks_RFB.1.52_tweaksV3
Nav Map Make-Over v. 2.0
NMMO Airbase Add-on
SAP v0.5 Stock-RFB-RSRDC
Small Nav Tools RFB+MaxOptics
SS177 USS Pickerel_FooBor's PORPOISE BLACK HI-RES V1.0
Stock Map Icons
Bigger Better Protractors
Less Plankton

Any ideas?

EDIT: My stuck weather magically unstuck itself, so no longer an issue.
"Ship?" he called. "Yup?" said the ship. "Do what I do." The ship thought about this for a few milliseconds and then, after double checking all the seals on its heavy duty bulkheads, it began slowly, inexorably, in the hazy blaze of its lights, to sink to the lowest depths.

Last edited by White Owl; 08-28-11 at 10:19 PM. Reason: one problem fixed, two to go
White Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 08:49 AM   #888
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Owl View Post
EDIT: My stuck weather magically unstuck itself, so no longer an issue.
yep, weather is usually easy to fix with just a save and reload
Old 09-16-11, 11:12 AM   #889
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

I'm just wondering if there's anything new in the works for this MOD in the future
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 11:31 AM   #890
Matthew_T_Sherman
Sailor man

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by krashkart View Post
Could the environment portion of the mod be made optional, please? Some cards really can't handle it, and I just wanted the gameplay enhancements anyway.

Looks really awesome from the Nav map, though. I hope to try it out soon.
Been wondering about this, myself. Both RFB and TMO give me a 'plastic water' feel. The waves and transparency are decent but the color is so blue it's almost like a paint or dye. Alas, I don't seem to have a card that'll let me 'grey' or 'green' the water to a color that is more consistant with my personal experiences on and over oceans and seas (some large lakes for that matter). It's like playing sub in a swimming pool.

Of course, my self-immersion abilities spawn from playing sub sims spanning more than two decades so it's not like it entirely ruins things. But getting the water texture back from the stock game would be orgasmic.(only 42 emoticons to choose from? C'mon now! )
Matthew_T_Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 09:20 PM   #891
White Owl
Loader

I use the latest Real Environments mod but keep RFB's scene.dat. On clear sunny days the water is still a little bit too blue, but overall the environment looks very nice to me.

One thing I really didn't like about RFB's environmental visuals was how bright the night sky was. I read some people recommended turning the gamma way down... but that makes everything else look strange.
Old 09-17-11, 06:56 AM   #892
Matthew_T_Sherman
Sailor man

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Owl View Post
I use the latest Real Environments mod but keep RFB's scene.dat. On clear sunny days the water is still a little bit too blue, but overall the environment looks very nice to me.

One thing I really didn't like about RFB's environmental visuals was how bright the night sky was. I read some people recommended turning the gamma way down... but that makes everything else look strange.
My new rig doesn't seem to give me access to adjust visual settings like I'm used to. Maybe it's the windows 7 enviroment. Having a nice card but no ability to adjust anything outside the game is kinda sucky. But I take it you're referring to the gamma setting in game? I presumed this was a brightness setting.

Popeye the sailor-man, it seems.
Matthew_T_Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 09:18 AM   #893
White Owl
Loader

Yes, I meant the gamma slider in the game's graphics options. I didn't play around with monitor settings.
Old 10-07-11, 02:54 AM   #894
Radio
Planesman

Downloads: 339
Discovered something strange: The first SD radar has a better detection chance if it is NOT raised. This makes a big difference as it is rather unreliable (which is perfectly realistic, good work)

Love the mod

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-11, 07:26 PM   #895
weldstress
Swabbie

Downloads: 48
Default RFB radar

Hey guys, I have a question. I am playing RFB 2.0 with the latest patch. When I am at the surface radar station, looking at a contact. The blip on the radar screen is very tiny. Litteraly a pinprick. So I'm wondering if this is correct. Or is something amiss.
Thanks for any help
Al
weldstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-11, 02:57 AM   #896
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109

The radar screen in SH4 has several bugs. One and not the least important from them is that the size of the blip is inverted in the ordinary SJ display (The green one). It gets larger when the target is more distant instead of the opposite, as it should be

If you are referring the the PPI (Orange) display on the right, and if you are seeing only small dots then this might be because of a mod instealled. Otherwise I think that the stock RFB blips in the PPI were reasonably sized
Old 10-15-11, 06:53 PM   #897
weldstress
Swabbie

Downloads: 48

Thank you for responding. I am running RFB so perhaps that is the problem.
weldstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-11, 07:48 AM   #898
Fish40
The Old Man

AFAIK, the "small" pips on the radar screen are part of RFB. No need to adjust your set! I remember at one time, RFB had them bigger. Don't remember why they were scaled down.
Old 11-03-11, 11:54 AM   #899
pelucho25
Loader

Downloads: 1403

Hi guys I have plan to start a campaign with the RFB 2.0 and I would like you to help me telling you that you have mods you. Before playing the TMO and I would like to know that this is it. thanks
pelucho25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-11, 11:43 AM   #900
Fish40
The Old Man

Hi guys, I posted about this bug in RFB awhile ago, and it seems it's still there. The Medium Old Composit Freighter remains unsinkable! Can anyone else confirm this? I'm running RFB2.0 + RSRD and updates, plus some compatable mods. It's July 44' off the coast of Borneo. I came across this freighter in rough seas, and hit her with 2 torps. She listed and remained like that. I then gave her another shot from the Bow, and then turned to bring the Stern tubes to bear. To make a long story short, after 7 torps this ship remained afloat! I time compressed several hours, and she remained in the same state. I was forced to eat the attack and move on.