SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-24-06, 11:39 AM   #76
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Go for 'realistic' to add to the immersion of the game

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-06, 12:18 PM   #77
dc1962
Bosun

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Unless something is off with my load, from what I've noticed, the realistic vs inhouse does not impact on the crew size allowed eg. 25 vs 30 sailors for example, it just better reflects the quality of the crew available based upon the period of the war.
dc1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-06, 12:33 PM   #78
dc1962
Bosun

Downloads: 8

:hmm: Sorry, it seems to be working with the inhouse--I guess as long as I don't load the realistic, it will be ok
dc1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-06, 12:04 AM   #79
Tuddley3
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 170

If there is ever an update for 2.7, would it be possible to include a button to choose which Multi Install you want to load. So instead of SH3 Cmdr automatically loading a specific install, have it ask which install you want. Like "Career 1" would be UBWA, "Career2" would be GWX and so forth.

Just a thought JS, Happy Holidays
Tuddley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-06, 07:21 AM   #80
Akinesis
Watch

Downloads: 21

I just want to say thanks for this top mod

It's exactly what I wanted in the game and I can't imagine playing without it! Top work
Akinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 09:48 PM   #81
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuddley3
The Personnel Files feature is great, I have always had fun with it. My Question is, how can I display it in my Signature. They are HTML files, but I don't know how to or where to do this. And I don't own a website, and tried Geocities, but it doesn't like Firefox I guess.

I wonder if Terrapin can host a personnel file section at UBRS, hmmm, I'll have to ask.

I was gonna PM him, but... He has PM's turned off.
It would be real nice if there was a central spot where SH3 players could u/l their Personnel Files for others to view. But I'm not aware of any. I know there are communities of SH3 players that do it, but nothing for general players.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 09:53 PM   #82
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1962
One question: Loading Commander 2.6 reduced the size of the crew. Is this true in 2.7 or is there a way to disable this or increse the size of the crew? I'm in a late war U-boat and the crew is simply too small for historical accuracy.

Thanks for the hard work
FYI SH3Cmdr's realistic crew config is based on, surprisingly, realistic crew composition of actual u-boats. This includes numbers and core qualifications.

But as BBW said, if you are not happy with the realistic config, simply select the "Already in SH3" option to use whatever crew configs are already in the game.
Old 12-30-06, 09:55 PM   #83
azn_132
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1962
One question: Loading Commander 2.6 reduced the size of the crew. Is this true in 2.7 or is there a way to disable this or increse the size of the crew? I'm in a late war U-boat and the crew is simply too small for historical accuracy.

Thanks for the hard work
FYI SH3Cmdr's realistic crew config is based on, surprisingly, realistic crew composition of actual u-boats. This includes numbers and core qualifications.

But as BBW said, if you are not happy with the realistic config, simply select the "Already in SH3" option to use whatever crew configs are already in the game.
When ur u goin to make SH3commander 2.8?
azn_132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 10:21 PM   #84
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuddley3
If there is ever an update for 2.7, would it be possible to include a button to choose which Multi Install you want to load. So instead of SH3 Cmdr automatically loading a specific install, have it ask which install you want. Like "Career 1" would be UBWA, "Career2" would be GWX and so forth.
Well, unless I have misunderstood you, managing installations based on individual careers would become quite unwieldly very quickly - the "list" would require a lot of player maintenance to keep it up-to-date (ie adding new careers and pointing to each SH3 installation, deleting careers etc).

Anyway, I've spent quite a bit of time thinking about this since just after R2.6 was released. And tbh, the solution always comes back to doing nothing and recommending multiple installations of SH3Cmdr.

Why? For a number of reasons...

1. Each new supermod has tweaked certain game files in ways which require unique sets of SH3Cmdr Cfg files. So, to work correctly, SH3Cmdr would need to store unique files for each SH3 installation.

2. Players may want, for example, the combined skins pack with their UBWA installation but not their GWX one. So again, SH3Cmdr would need to store unique Date and for that matter Flotilla, Random and U-boat folders and contents for each installation.

3. Players may want different Cfg settings for each installation. So once again, SH3Cmdr would need to store unique Cfg files for each SH3 installation.

So as you can see, for SH3Cmdr to simply give you a "list" of careers or even SH3 installations to choose from, there would be quite a lot of work (and duplication) needed to be done behind the scenes (and without some inbuilt "import" facility, would be *VERY* confusing for average users to navigate). In essence, the work required would simply result in the same thing that can be achieved by simply having multiple SH3Cmdr installations, but with much more potential for user error.

And as creating multiple SH3Cmdr installations is just as easy as creating multiple SH3 installations (ie copy and paste to a new location), you can see why I always end up with the same solution.

But I'm open to ideas and I am sure that there is a middle-compromise somewhere that would suit most users, even if it did no more than automate the copying of SH3Cmdr and setting up the shortcuts in the process.

BTW, a little known feature, but players that a) run separate SH3Cmdr installations and b) know what they are doing can simply "force" an SH3 installation path into their SH3Cmdr by adding the following line to their SH3Cmdr.ini SETTINGS block:

SH3Location=<the FULL path to their SH3 installation>

SH3Cmdr determines the SH3 path sequentially as thus:

1. Uses /l path if found and verified
2. Uses SH3Location path (from SH3Cmdr.ini) if found and verified
3. Uses Registry stored path if found and verified
4. Uses path entered by user if found and verified (this path subsequently becomes the SH3Location path)
Old 12-31-06, 01:40 AM   #85
Camaero
The Old Man

Downloads: 18

I am sorry if this has been covered before, but I was curious about something. If you forget to rollback SH Commander a few times (say between switching different careers) what, if anything, can get screwed up?
Old 12-31-06, 02:01 AM   #86
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaero
I am sorry if this has been covered before, but I was curious about something. If you forget to rollback SH Commander a few times (say between switching different careers) what, if anything, can get screwed up?
If you don't make changes to your SH3 installation, then you don't really need to rollback at all. SH3Cmdr will take care of this task automatically.

Not rolling back is only an issue for those who like tinkering, or modding, their SH3 installation. If you do so with SH3Cmdr files still installed, then your changes will get overwritten when SH3Cmdr is next run, which may cause conflicts or even CTDs.
Old 12-31-06, 03:07 AM   #87
Camaero
The Old Man

Downloads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaero
If you don't make changes to your SH3 installation, then you don't really need to rollback at all. SH3Cmdr will take care of this task automatically.

Not rolling back is only an issue for those who like tinkering, or modding, their SH3 installation. If you do so with SH3Cmdr files still installed, then your changes will get overwritten when SH3Cmdr is next run, which may cause conflicts or even CTDs.
Thanks bud!
Old 12-31-06, 05:51 PM   #88
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_132
He just barely finished this update. Exactly what do you want changed?
Old 01-09-07, 07:58 PM   #89
eweber
Seaman

Default GWX & Set wave height

Superb update!

Got a GWX Q...

They have improved wave action in GWX. Should I not use "Set wave height:" in the options menu? I currently use 1.25X but dont know if I should or not....

Thx

ew
Old 01-09-07, 09:20 PM   #90
azn_132
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_132
He just barely finished this update. Exactly what do you want changed?
I was just wonderin if he's goin to make a silent hunter 3 commander 2.8.
azn_132 is offline   Reply With Quote