SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-06-09, 11:44 AM   #76
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Never mind I got it. I'm happy again!
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 12:08 PM   #77
clayp
The Old Man

Downloads: 340
I'm compleatly confused!!!!..What downloads do we need to have this mod and fix?

clayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 12:11 PM   #78
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default I am lost again

ddrgn, Rockin Robbins and anyone else who can explain this, please do so.

I undertatnd the speed and AoB dials. What ddrgn descrbes as the TGT and range adjustment confuses me. Here is what I understand about range. I can get range from the my incompetant sonar man. Or I can use the stadimeter (TGT dial) and match the shawdow ship's keel to the target mast. Without the mod, I have to click the stadimeter button to set the the aspect ratio. This adjusts the range I believe. Is this correct? Now, for the questions. I assume the mod allows you to adjust range without having to click the stadimeter. Is that what we are talking about here? And is that the adjustment that the last version of the mod makes to the stadimeter (TGT) dial?

Also, Captain Warhawk has me confused? What returns to zero? The TBT readings? Does the AoB return to zero? Does the range return to zero? Does the speed return to zero? So, is Captain Warhawk saying that we have to set the stadimeter readings twice to get the accurate reading on the TBT dial? Or is he saying that we have to set AoB and range reading (TGT) twice to get the proper reading?

Rockin Robbins and Neal Stevens, please put the mod download site in a thread or sticky where they can be easily located.

I agree with Rockin Robbins that it is a great mod. I have been onboard on that issue from the get-go.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 12:54 PM   #79
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

I'm Going Down:
Quote:
Also, Captain Warhawk has me confused? What returns to zero? The TBT readings? Does the AoB return to zero? Does the range return to zero? Does the speed return to zero? So, is Captain Warhawk saying that we have to set the stadimeter readings twice to get the accurate reading on the TBT dial? Or is he saying that we have to set AoB and range reading (TGT) twice to get the proper reading?
I do my best to write for clarity so you will see and experience what I'm experiencing with this new mod. This is how it plays out for me when I use the mod:

1. Vessel sighted. I pick any part of the vessel as my reference point for the stadimeter reading. I do not consult the ID manual at this point. I take my first stadimeter reading on my selected point on the vessel.
2. I hit the X key to bring up the stop watch. I let it go for 3 minutes. In that three minutes I start to page through the book to ID the vessel. It is just the way I like to use my time.
3. After 3 minutes from the stop watch I take a second stadimeter range reading from the exact same reference point I used in step one. This will give me the speed.
4. For AOB I eyeball it and to good effect.
5. OK, I have the speed, the AOB but I do not have the accurate range because I did not ID the ship yet and update the PK. So, I ID the vessel after locking it with the scope and get the accurate range.
6. So, I have the AOB and speed dialed in. The accurate range was taken and updated via the update button.
7. I turn on the PK to start keeping the postion. This is were it gets screwy. Once I turn on the PK the AOB and speed I just dialed in returns to zero. Not a big issue I just but them back to my findings and update. All set.

I have seen that using this method gives me an accurate speed reading. I have found the longer the interval between stadimeter readings for speed is much more accurate. I'm not sure if it really saves me some time compared to the original method developed for the game. However, I do like using it and seems more accurate.

Use the torpedo tutorial to practice with it. This is what I used to get the ins and outs of this mod.

EDIT: reading the original post again it looks like I missed a step. Setting up the speed and AOB THEN clicking the update. I will try whey I play again.

Last edited by AVGWarhawk; 07-06-09 at 01:21 PM.
AVGWarhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 01:07 PM   #80
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

ClayP:

Threads merged as the two thread were creating some confusion. Go to page one, first post.

Last edited by AVGWarhawk; 07-06-09 at 01:18 PM.
AVGWarhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 01:19 PM   #81
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urge View Post
So, does this mod play well with the clickable range mod incorporated in TMO 1.7?

Urge
Yes.
Old 07-06-09, 01:58 PM   #82
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Hi AVG, long time since we've talked!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
I turn on the PK to start keeping the position. This is were it gets screwy. Once I turn on the PK the AOB and speed I just dialed in returns to zero. Not a big issue I just but them back to my findings and update. All set.
I've not tried this particular mod (sorry Nicolas, RL has a hold on me this summer) BUT I do know this will happen when using any other dial(s) to set range besides the stock pair (the stock dial #58 TorpedoSolution_Mast_Height; and it's counterpart dial #59 TorpedoSolution_Temporary_Range). These two work with each other to set the Position Keeper range. In doing so, the PK can be turned on and will keep a good track on the target, PROVIDING the Speed and AoB are set correctly as well.

I've played about with having different dials input a range and the problem I've encountered is that a correct range can be inputted (say it's gleaned from a radar reading) but when the Position Keeper is turned on it won't keep track of the inputted range figure unless it comes through the two dials named above. What I've found is the range can be set for that particular moment manually but, the PK won't update itself correctly when turned on.

So, am I to assume there is a way to have the PK use a manually inputted range that will accurately keep track of a target with the PK running?

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 02:36 PM   #83
Munchausen
Commodore

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 1

• If you take your first stadimeter reading before getting a target ID, and your second reading after getting a target ID, you'll be lucky if you get an accurate target (tgt) heading and/or speed. Namely because your second plot will be fairly accurate but your first plot will probably be way off ... unless the default mast height just happens to correspond with your target's actual mast height.
  • This mod changes the way the TDC dials work ... it disables some of the original functions and adds new ones. Some of the newer options aren't actually necessary ... and might be the reason Warhawk sees his TDC resetting to zero when PK is enabled. Additional tests might be necessary to determine if the original mod (AOB fix) causes the PK problem ... or if it's one of the later add-ons.
Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 02:42 PM   #84
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
So, am I to assume there is a way to have the PK use a manually inputted range that will accurately keep track of a target with the PK running?
Yes, it works. Manual input of range has worked for quite some time. This new addition here allows AOB and speed to done manually as well. Then turn on the PK.
Old 07-06-09, 02:45 PM   #85
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
  • If you take your first stadimeter reading before getting a target ID, and your second reading after getting a target ID, you'll be lucky if you get an accurate target (tgt) heading and/or speed. Namely because your second plot will be fairly accurate but your first plot will probably be way off ... unless the default mast height just happens to correspond with your target's actual mast height.
  • This mod changes the way the TDC dials work ... it disables some of the original functions and adds new ones. Some of the newer options aren't actually necessary ... and might be the reason Warhawk sees his TDC resetting to zero when PK is enabled. Additional tests might be necessary to determine if the original mod (AOB fix) causes the PK problem ... or if it's one of the later add-ons.

Definitely take the two range on the stadi using the same point of reference chosen by the player. If the player does ID the ship then use what the ship ID manual states as the point of reference for the two stadimeter readings.

As far as my issue with the AOB and speed returning to zero when I do turn on the PK is probably attributed to me not updated all the information obtained THEN turning on the PK after the accuruatly ID vessel range is taken. I can confirm this line of thinking of mine tonight.
Old 07-06-09, 04:51 PM   #86
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Downloads: 362
Uploads: 30

Hi Warhawk,

I wish you didn't combine the threads as my mod is not the Easy AOB fix by Nicolas. It is his mod with my additions with his permission.

I included Nicolas Easy AOB as a separate download in the mods as he requested.

Now to me there is no listing for my REL. As far as I'm concerned this thread belongs to Nicolas so I will leave him to answer further questions regarding his mod here.

For questions about my mod TGT DIALS TO PK FIX, I guess people can PM me.

My intention was to add the functionality to the whole dial not just the AOB. This thread was the discusion on how to manually edit the dials. My thread was the clear JSGME compatible mod with my additions.

Hopefully you understand my points as I do appreciate you trying to make it easier for all of us.

Last edited by ddrgn; 07-06-09 at 05:51 PM.
ddrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 08:33 PM   #87
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Well, I have two threads by two different people working on their own dials then collaborating together on one mod to encompass all. The numerous PM's from members with mass confusion concerning this mod, what it works with and were to get it was growing exponentially. So you can understand my points of having to direct folks here and there for what looks to be a combined mod in the end.
Old 07-06-09, 08:41 PM   #88
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default AVG Warhawk merger

Thanks for merging the threads!

Note, I did not see ddgrn's deletion. I see his point, but it was getting too confusing, and I since both mods deal with the stadimeter and TBT, I thought one thread would be less confusing. Let's not let this detract from the great work you and Mr. Nicolas collaborated on.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 07-06-09 at 09:59 PM. Reason: did not see ddrgn's objection
Old 07-06-09, 11:34 PM   #89
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Downloads: 362
Uploads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Well, I have two threads by two different people working on their own dials then collaborating together on one mod to encompass all. The numerous PM's from members with mass confusion concerning this mod, what it works with and were to get it was growing exponentially. So you can understand my points of having to direct folks here and there for what looks to be a combined mod in the end.
Ok, I understand avoiding confusion, but my mods are seperate from Nicolas's, its not called Easy AOB, because its more than that.

This thread was how to manually change the dials.cfg, it did not have a JSGME compatible mod, different versions for each super mod, range and speed dial fix. This thread was a simple copy and paste into the dials, genious as it was its not the mod I made.

There are 2 different ways to use these mods, the way Nicolas presented it and the mod improved by me to be compatible with JSGME and all super mods.

I think a simple link on Nicolas original post to my link would have changed the confusion as there is two different verions. \

I sugged this thread be renamed to [REL] TGT DIALS TO PK FIX (the name of the mod), although I think Nicolas would start to feel the same way I do now. That is why I made a seperate thread and didnt just add my copy to the bottom.

Maybe this thread conversision should have been brought to my attention, maybe I could have avoided having my thread and mod release deleted.

Whats even stranger is that the original text on how to this presented by Ncolas is gone, without a few posts below, I'm not sure someone will understand how to do this manually.

Right now to me, I feel kind of shafted.

Regards,
Peter
ddrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-09, 01:58 AM   #90
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default ddgrn - advice please.

Meanwhile, back on the farm, I tried the TGT mod fix for TMO, which I play with RSRDC. If it is all three mods comobined, it doesn't work as my speed dial and AoB don't change on the TBT when I spin the dials on the stadimeter (ddrgn refers to as the TGT). So I am playing with the combined AoB and speed mod, which is fine. Am I doing something wrong with the TGT fix, as I was lead to believe that it combined all three mods.

I paused my game. I am waiting for a task force to approach. Four dds are on my case, and I am patiently waiting for them to stopp depth charging my boat. Then I will take on the task force with my combined speed and AoB mod.