0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-10, 12:44 PM   #76
ParaB
Chief

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0

I have actually bought Rise of Flight to support a small developer/publisher, although with great reluctance. I won't put up with an IMO even worse DRM system from a major publisher.
Old 01-26-10, 12:44 PM   #77
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

Lol, Im starting to think sh3s future just got abit more secure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaB View Post
I have actually bought Rise of Flight to support a small developer/publisher, although with great reluctance. I won't put up with an IMO even worse DRM system from a major publisher.
Yea, maby ROFs servers are working well. but what about ubi... and there servers... ya know, the day you try to log on and there servers are down.... or there servers crash, and what happens if your Internet goes out for a while... yer stuck with a game that dosent work... remamber, they plan on going all server online stuff... just think of how mutch server traffic they might get, and how slow it might go...
Old 01-26-10, 12:45 PM   #78
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Yes UBI needs to step up and either confirm or deny.

This 'news' will trigger quite the firestorm.
Old 01-26-10, 12:45 PM   #79
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
Its confirmed in the UBI german forum by an UBI guy.
no it's a UBI girl

left is Ubi_AnnikV and right Ubi_Marc, both community manager for SH5
Old 01-26-10, 12:47 PM   #80
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letum View Post
Even tho I like the game very much, I refused to buy Rise of Flight for this reason.
Looks like I won't be buying SH5 either if this is the case. That's a shame.

I like to OWN the things I buy, not just own the right to connect to a
server to have assess to something I already paid for.
i have to agree here.

I'm still on the fence about this title... though im starting to lean more in a negative direction
Old 01-26-10, 12:51 PM   #81
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
When they all become online auth, I guess you won't be playing games?

yep thats exactly correct, there are plenty of older games that i can play, and when games stop selling they WILL get the message that only customers making mommy and daddy buy them will still buy their games.

i dont care if it stops Osama Bin Laden himself, i still will never "rent" a video game

i have no issue with a check in online authorization because that can be maintained with some little automatic check program after the game company no longer wants to support the game but this setup they are talking about is just stupid.

why waste my time at all, if thats what they want then forget the disk altogether and i'll log on with my credit card and buy one game play like the video arcade machines then play till i die and run my credit card through for another game.

thats 1000% pirate proof and i dont have to patch the game i DO NOT OWN

Old 01-26-10, 12:53 PM   #82
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeadler View Post
Now it has been officially confirmed by an Ubisoft employee in the German SH5 forum, SH5 will contain exactly this new protection:

- you need an Ubisoft online account to activate SH5
- Save games be stored online on Ubisoft server
- PC must be throughout the playing session connected to the internet
if this is fact - forget it.

What happens when i have been stalking up on a convoy for 2 hours and my internet connection is lost for some reason???

My ISP decides its a good time for system maintenance? or some other issue happens and my connection is gone?

That will only happen ONCE my friend...

and SH5 will find its way into the GD microwave

thats insane.
Old 01-26-10, 01:11 PM   #83
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 541
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorka42 View Post
I take offense, sir are you implying that we, the wood-constructionally challenged, are somehow less because of our 2" walls, leaky roofs, and terminally leaning porcelain throne?
Sorry, lol, I let my creative side get carried away As it happens, I live in a 14x70 when I got out of school.
Old 01-26-10, 01:15 PM   #84
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

This is a crucial stage for the future of this franchise. I think this will be the first time that a significant number of members here, and at other subsim forums, won't buy the game. We have heard over the years that people were not going to buy Silent Hunter for one reason or another, but those numbers were always insignificant in terms of total sales. That may not be the case this time...at least in terms of the subsim forums.

Ubisoft now needs it's precious casual gamers more than ever in my view, because I believe that this time there really will be a perceptible drop in sales from the subsim communites.
Old 01-26-10, 01:37 PM   #85
COWBOY10
Gunner

Downloads: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
I'm betting all PC games will go to online authentication eventually. True, there are a few people on the planet who play games in their doublewide without internet accesss, and there are occasions where internet access is not available to play, but the PC gamer is usually connected to the web 24/7.

Im Sorry Neal, I respect you mate and what you have done for our community, But I cant agree with this statement, There are more than a few who dont have internet access on our Gaming Rigs, I have internet on a Internet Rig, allows me to download patches, Surf, Email etc, Then I have a Gaming Rig alone.

This allows me to make sure its running at peak performance, without Virus's, Trojens, Spyware slowing it down etc. I have no problems with DRM, as a rule, BUT this course of going down the lone of permanant Connection at all times is a joke. A one off connection to validate connection, as I had to do with Blackshark and MSX then No Problem.

BUT I dont have a Gaming PC connected full time to the Internet for full time connection, Have the producers heard of a little Flight sim called Rise of Flight, Amazing idea, one the community was looking forward to a great deal, BUT They have lost many many sales by having such an awful way to play the game. E.G. Permanant connection, Server Crashes half way through mission and Bang you lose game.

They state one of the bonus's is that we can have multiple copys on different machines to play anywhere we want, our save games will be on the server etc, UMMM Guess they are thinking about laptops and gaming at work etc, Damn Im lucky to get a mobile signal where I live, let alone Wii Fii at a speed good enough to let this work.

Now I dont know about others, but another problem, is I play SH3 in Real Time, Now if I need a permainant connection, and Im playing Real Time, then Im guessing the connection will be open and info will be getting downloaded to pc right. Wont take long to hit the Download limit and then, Wham, You lose your whole internet not just SH5.

Sorry to Rant guys but Damn, This had so much to offer, and now looks like its sinking with all hands. I just wish the producers would start listening to us once, I am seriously thinking, that they are trying to kill the PC market, NOt just Ubisoft but you just have to look round at other producers and see the shafting PC Gaming is getting.

Seriously considering canning my Pre Order, It seems every peice of news we are hearing in the last few weeks, seems to fire another fish into us.

Cowboy10uk

Old 01-26-10, 01:52 PM   #86
himlaviz
Mate

Downloads: 28

This is the future...

I wouldn't mind this if they make it totally "drm" free after a year or two, then we don't have to worry whether Ubisoft will be around for years to come and as games grow old they might be tougher to get to run on new OS/hardware.

They are also working on a way to have you stream games, so you just need a client to be able to play the games streamed in real time to your client. Gone are the joy of building your own PC.

Though I use Steam I am torn about this, it has some advantages but it also makes you helpless if Ubisoft run's into problems... (same with Steam I guess). Personally I have a 100/10mbit connection 24/7 that has a 99.99% uptime and still feel like I should rather not buy Silent Hunter V. Sadly it's not because it might be a bad product but third party mess up...

Task force:

Doesn't 1C (Oleg) release their game through Ubisoft? If Storm of War is the next "IL2". This I am also looking forward too.
This is my computer. There are many like it but this one is mine. My computer is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my computer is useless. Without my computer I am useless.
Old 01-26-10, 01:58 PM   #87
Gatt
Watch

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeadler View Post
no it's a UBI girl

left is Ubi_AnnikV and right Ubi_Marc, both community manager for SH5
Ah, I understand. And that must be their DRM development room. Advenced hi-tech stuff they use, indeed.
Old 01-26-10, 01:59 PM   #88
COWBOY10
Gunner

Downloads: 17

Task force:

Doesn't 1C (Oleg) release their game through Ubisoft? If Storm of War is the next "IL2". This I am also looking forward too.

I think so, yet another Sim, ive been looking forward to, Even i it disappered Years ago, Theres still a chance it will land, However If UBI do this with SH5, you can bet your Dollar they will do it to Storm of War.

Time to start looking for a new hobby guys,
Old 01-26-10, 01:59 PM   #89
Letum
Navy Seal

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by himlaviz View Post
same with Steam I guess
No, the vast majority of games on steam will run offline with no problem.
Quote:
Oleg and 1C took enough of Ubisoft's crap. Especialy their lack of support over some legal issues.
1C now develops and produces it's own games. No Ubi involved thank god.
Old 01-26-10, 02:07 PM   #90
danurve
The Old Man

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 3

Maybe we can get the GWX crew to reconsider 4.