Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-13-16, 06:30 PM   #826
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Here's hypothetical question

Can The politicians etc here in the west, live with Syria as a Sharia state, if the people by free election choose this way of (forgot the word, sorry)

Maybe it will never happen, that the Syrian people get the chance to make such a choice , I guess our way of democracy will be forced upon them.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-16, 06:38 PM   #827
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
^, ^^ Same here.

Longer time ago, before the Russians started to heavily relocate forces and intervene, there was a time when I considered Assad to be already defeated. Big mistake of mine.
It was pretty close for a while. When Putin told Obama to stop after the chemical weapon violation, and Obama did stop, it decided the issue in favor of Assad.
Old 02-15-16, 07:28 AM   #828
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

A MSF hospital in Syria has been hit by an air strike. No one knows who did it at the moment, the Turks have (naturally) blamed the Russians, as has a local monitoring group and there was an intense amount of flash traffic on the Russian military strategic networks about two hours ago, although I guess that could be related to the exercises going on at the Baltic borders, although why they'd be using the strategic channels to talk about a paratrooper based exercise is beyond me.

Well, I guess it's US 1, Russia 1 so far for hitting MSF hospitals.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-16, 07:32 AM   #829
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

https://www.riemurasia.net/video/Put...enemaan/179032
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-16, 12:53 PM   #830
Dan D
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0

Statement of the International Syria Support Group:

"Meeting in Munich on February 11 & 12, 2016, as the International Syria Support Group (ISSG), the Arab League, China, Egypt, the EU, France, Germany, Iran, Iraq, Italy, Jordan, Lebanon, the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, Oman, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, the United Nations, and the United States decided that humanitarian access will commence this week to besieged areas, and an ISSG task force will within one week elaborate modalities for a nationwide cessation of hostilities. (…)
In order to accelerate the urgent delivery of humanitarian aid, sustained delivery of assistance shall begin this week by air to Deir Ez Zour and simultaneously to Fouah, Kafrayah, the besieged areas of Rural Damascus, Madaya, Mouadhimiyeh, and Kafr Batna by land, and continue as long as humanitarian needs persist. Humanitarian access to these most urgent areas will be a first step toward full, sustained, and unimpeded access throughout the country. (…)
The ISSG members agreed that a nationwide cessation of hostilities must be urgently implemented, and should apply to any party currently engaged in military or paramilitary hostilities against any other parties other than Daesh, Jabhat al-Nusra, or other groups designated as terrorist organizations by the United Nations Security Council. The ISSG members commit to exercise influence for an immediate and significant reduction in violence leading to the nationwide cessation of hostilities".

http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/DE/In...html?nn=342580

Dan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-16, 01:40 PM   #831
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Can be good.

If turks with saudis do not ruin this via massive intervention.
Old 02-15-16, 02:26 PM   #832
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Well, Russia is going to continue the airstrikes anyway, so I doubt this will hold for long.
Old 02-15-16, 02:52 PM   #833
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
Can be good.

If turks with saudis do not ruin this via massive intervention.
I think Russia beat them to it already.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-16, 03:07 PM   #834
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
I think Russia beat them to it already.
I meant in the sense of hitting our positions in a massive attack.
Old 02-15-16, 10:04 PM   #835
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
I meant in the sense of hitting our positions in a massive attack.
They probably will, although I doubt they'll hit your positions, they'll go for Assad, which means that the RuAF and Russian ground forces will have to step in.
You see the problem with ceasefires is that all sides need to stop firing or it doesn't work. Daesh won't stop, we know that much, and if the RuAF was going to concentrate their bombing effort purely on Daesh during this possible cessation of hostilities then there might not be a problem, but we all know that that will not happen, and they will continue to clear a path for Assads forces because that's what they're there to do. As such, Assad will have to use his forces to manoeuvre, attack and exploit the gaps made by Russian bombing, which means that the enemy will be forced to open fire to defend itself and here we go again.
If I were Putin, I'd tell the RuAF to switch targets to Daesh only during this interim period, let Turkey and the Saudis make the first move in regards to attacking Assads forces, then Russia will have the upper moral ground...but to be fair, that's never really been a position that Putin has cared about, which has made him quite appealing to some in the west for some reason. Snag is, it makes it all to easy to paint him as the villain in the piece, I mean western forces are going to try anyway, why make it easy for them? I thought Russia was good at the whole propaganda game?
Old 02-23-16, 04:31 PM   #836
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Looks like the Saudis are writing off Lebanon as lost to Iran, they cancelled a large arms deal the other day and it looks like their next move might be to deep-six the Lebanese economy.

https://mideastwire.wordpress.com/20...llar-deposits/
Old 02-28-16, 12:19 PM   #837
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Meanwhile the reformist movement is gathering steam in Iran:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-35681250
Old 02-28-16, 04:11 PM   #838
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Meanwhile the reformist movement is gathering steam in Iran:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-35681250
The Republican Guard will only let that go so far, the moderates did well in Tehran, but haven't gained a whole lot across the country.

Al Capone
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-16, 05:19 PM   #839
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
The Republican Guard will only let that go so far, the moderates did well in Tehran, but haven't gained a whole lot across the country.
I guess a lot depends on what happens when the Ayatollah falls off his perch, a reformist Ayatollah could challenge the IRG, but he'd need to get the rest of the military behind him before he did, so not very likely.
Old 02-29-16, 01:27 AM   #840
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99

I agree with you there Oberon, interesting to see what would happen n the near future. Wonder what kind of chance Rafsanjani would have to become the grand poobah? If he has any chance at all that is.

Al Capone
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
terrorism