SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-03-11, 12:51 PM   #7816
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

As I was implementing some new featues in the ship's journal viewer app I noticed that a key piece of info was missing from the nav fixes: what type of fix it is! This was also missing in game

I've corrected the overlook and now the nav fixes will have a suffix attached to them that tells what kind of fix it is. If it's a dead-reckoning fix then a D will be appended to the end of it. If it's a celestial fix then a C will be appended to the end of it. i.e.: N1C

Haven't 'played' the game in so long that I forgot how much fun real nav is especially when hunting a unit. I found a lonely merchant and set my firing solution and a spread of 2 torps @ 3 degrees. Los! It was such great fun to not be able to see my torpedoes on the map. I had to sit and watch the stopwatch count down to impact time. Then impact time came and went.....8 seconds later torpedo impact
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 01:32 PM   #7817
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

and I'm now implementing the new features to the ship's journal viewer app:

With the destroyed marks, auto sub logging, supermarks, and nav fixes you'll be able to export them to text files so that can be used for I have other uses for that data also

Tidbit of useless knowledge: ~ 150,000 views away from exceeding GWX thread in SH3 forum And they say SH5 is dead....yeah right

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 09-03-11 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-03-11, 02:34 PM   #7818
mia389
中国水兵

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Very nice, I like it
mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 03:39 PM   #7819
Illyustrator
中国水兵

Downloads: 80
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
...Tidbit of useless knowledge: ~ 150,000 views away from exceeding GWX thread in SH3 forum And they say SH5 is dead....yeah right
They "gave birth to" his child GWX and other children for them to be a burden.
Difficult for them to renounce their beliefs. Seeing the difficulties in SH5 they gladly gave it up. In all forums over the world write the same thing - SH5 dead.
There is wisdom:
One person looking at is not a full glass of water said he was half empty. The second says - NO,he's half full !
As we accept circumstances, so we and live. So or so .

Good luck All !!!
Illyustrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 03:44 PM   #7820
ETsd4
中国水兵

Downloads: 91

Quote:
Changelog:v6.8.0 -...
All the new things are fantastic news. For me the most exciting thing is that we can rotate the attaack-discs with the mouse and that the journal can be exported and displayed as a text-file.
ETsd4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 03:52 PM   #7821
Meldric
Officer

Downloads: 167

I also really like the new features. Especially the DestroyedMarks have been bugging me in combination with Ruby's excellent DeutschMod. Looking forward to test this!

On a side note:
1)
I would love to see the journal viewer app in a more ... graphical designed way. It does what it should do, yes... but it looks quite steril... How about adding some graphics like we know from SH3Commander?

2)
To navigate to the dates, I would love to use a calendar control (like we know it from other apps), instead of incrementing (or decrementing) through the dates. In this calender control could even be icons included, so that one (for example) could easily spot the days where a ship was sunk...

Meldric

Die Geschichte lehrt die Menschen,
dass die Geschichte die Menschen nichts lehrt.
Gandhi
Meldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 05:08 PM   #7822
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meldric View Post
On a side note:
1)
I would love to see the journal viewer app in a more ... graphical designed way. It does what it should do, yes... but it looks quite steril... How about adding some graphics like we know from SH3Commander?

2)
To navigate to the dates, I would love to use a calendar control (like we know it from other apps), instead of incrementing (or decrementing) through the dates. In this calender control could even be icons included, so that one (for example) could easily spot the days where a ship was sunk...

Meldric
1) I'm a programmer not a graphics artist I think one can tell that from my mod Graphics and flash aren't my specialty nor do I like it. I like the basics, the info I need to do what I want/need to do and nothing more. I guess you can call it utilitarian. The more flash you add the more memory you use and more CPU cycles you eat thus taking away from FPS. But on a side note, what do you have in mind I'm not familiar with SH3Commander.

2) calendar control is an excellent idea and is a tool at my disposal in Visual Studio's toolbox. I'll look into it
Old 09-03-11, 05:19 PM   #7823
Meldric
Officer

Downloads: 167

I am not talking about flash and having everything beep and blink all the time... Here is a screenshot of SH3 Commander:
http://imageshack.us/f/176/image2hl9.jpg/

Just a bit more... eye candy to enhance immersion... Maybe just a nice header with a logo in a graphical design connected to the game a bit more (screenshots, enigma maps)... a nice background (the gridmap fading to an surfaced boat or maybe the blueprints of a Type VII) in the style like the startscreens for SH5 floating around in this very forum. I am sure there are many excellent artists here who could give it a try... I could even try myself (which will end in not so excellent results...)

Look to it more like a nice design, like for a good website... (the ones you visit and think: "oh, this sites looks cool!", even before you have red the first line... they are rare, but sometimes there are really nice finds... you know: "Das Auge isst mit!"?

I know that most Dev-Envs provide a calendar control... Its cool that you like the idea...

Die Geschichte lehrt die Menschen,
dass die Geschichte die Menschen nichts lehrt.
Gandhi

Last edited by Meldric; 09-03-11 at 05:55 PM.
Meldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 07:01 PM   #7824
Illyustrator
中国水兵

Downloads: 80
Uploads: 1

I love "immersing in realism". Game becomes fascinating.
I am always ready to help. TDW it knows. "Dialogue Language" (ENG-RUS) can be a hindrance only. But also it not the most difficult. The main desire.
Illyustrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 07:30 PM   #7825
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meldric View Post
I am not talking about flash and having everything beep and blink all the time... Here is a screenshot of SH3 Commander:
http://imageshack.us/f/176/image2hl9.jpg/

Just a bit more... eye candy to enhance immersion... Maybe just a nice header with a logo in a graphical design connected to the game a bit more (screenshots, enigma maps)... a nice background (the gridmap fading to an surfaced boat or maybe the blueprints of a Type VII) in the style like the startscreens for SH5 floating around in this very forum. I am sure there are many excellent artists here who could give it a try... I could even try myself (which will end in not so excellent results...)

Look to it more like a nice design, like for a good website... (the ones you visit and think: "oh, this sites looks cool!", even before you have red the first line... they are rare, but sometimes there are really nice finds... you know: "Das Auge isst mit!"?

I know that most Dev-Envs provide a calendar control... Its cool that you like the idea...
Anything to make it easier to use I'm all for I totally forgot about this control in the Visual Studio toolbox But that's been changed now!

Okay now you graphic artists, you can find this picture in my new uis 5 album on subsim. Doctor it up how you would like it to look and send to me then I can try and make it happen. Like I said I'm no graphics artist and my artistic abilities when it comes to stuff like this is utilitarian

I am getting a little worried with all the changes I've done. There's been a massive amount in v6.8.0 and I can't test every possible scenario (partly because I can't think of every scenario). I'm thinking about releasing a test version again. Would anyone be willing to test it? I expect there to be a few bugs but I'm hoping there isn't.
Old 09-03-11, 10:25 PM   #7826
ETsd4
中国水兵

Downloads: 91

Quote:
There's been a massive amount in v6.8.0 and I can't test every possible scenario (partly because I can't think of every scenario). I'm thinking about releasing a test version again. Would anyone be willing to test it?
Release the test-version. I will install it and report.
ETsd4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 10:29 PM   #7827
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETsd4 View Post
Release the test-version. I will install it and report.
soon as I finish up the alarm clock and some other little things...shouldn't be too long
Old 09-03-11, 11:58 PM   #7828
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Had a request some time ago to add an alarm clock to the game. It was on my list of things to do/look into and I've finally gotten around to making it :

You click the face of the chrono to show/hide the alarm clock box (chrono is the stock game chrono). The buttons are: (starting from the top and working down - first item is not lit state, second item is lit state)

Disabled/Enabled - toggles the alarm clock on/off
Single/Continuous - toggles the alarm clock from alarming once and stopping to alarming continuously (rearms itself after alarming)
Interval/Time - determines whether the time input by user is an interval (time span) time or an actual time
Don't play sound/Play sound - determines whether the alarm clock plays a sound (\data\Sound\AlarmClock.wav) when it alarms (using my TDWSound.dll so no sdl entries required)
Don't display message/Display message - determines whether a user defined message is displayed in messagebox when it alarms (this will also appear in ship's journal as an entry)
No TC change/Time compression 1 - determines whether time compression is set to 1 when it alarms
No pause game/Pause game - determines whether the game is paused when it alarms
Set - allows the user to define the message to display in the messagebox. Only this text will show (there is no leading Alarm Clock: as in my screenshot)
00:02 - mouse into each one and use mousewheel to change values. If mode is Interval: First is Hours, second is Minutes. If mode is Time then first is clock hour, second is clock minutes (defined in military time). The max time you can define for either is 23:59.

If alarm clock is enabled and you change the Single/Continuous, Interval/Time, or the hours or minutes then alarm clock is disabled. You'll have to re-enable it.

It does not show any kind of countdown so there's no way of knowing the 'amount of time' left before it alarms when mode is Interval

This alarm clock is using my high precision timer dll so time compression is factored in

Will be available in v6.8.0

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 09-04-11 at 01:30 AM.
Old 09-04-11, 01:00 PM   #7829
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Echolot found a nasty bug when the user option MapToolsAsObjects is enabled (True) and your at the navigation map and enable the TDC dials on it. I've now fixed the problem but in order to do so had to make the following changes:
- map tools have been resized and each map tool's position been adjusted
- the bottom left TDC dials now show to the right of the map tools

These changes still allow a user using 1024 X 768 screen resolution to still use the mod and play the game (allbeit a little crowded on screen):

those using higher screen res will look like this (1920 X 1200 shown here):

will be available in v6.8.0
Old 09-04-11, 04:24 PM   #7830
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Orpheus was kind enough to send me a complete Dbgview output denoting the torp door bug rearing it's ugly head. After review I've finally figured out why this happens sometimes and I sent the fix to him to test. Awaiting his test results.

I also noticed some entries in his Dbgview that aren't good:

00000780 431.28399658 [2540] Invalid radio message entry: 19400222 1905 19400223 2205 0 20 Befehlshaber der U-Boote Suppliment: Five hundred and seventy eight crew from both ships were lost. Sixty survivors from MAAS were picked up
00000804 431.28942871 [2540] Invalid radio message entry: 19400616 1945 19400617 2245 0 20 Befehlshaber der U-Boote Reports: Boats have reported the following successes

My radio messages files have problems in them Time to write another app to fix them. I've also noticed that they aren't broken down by year/month like they should (each radio message file has all entries in it)

Tags
dbrn, favorite, new ui