SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-21-06, 03:43 PM   #751
booger2005
Engineer

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type941
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergbuto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdre Gibs
This is the 2nd time a ship I have been working on quietly has been also done by some1 else. At this rate I may as well hang up the towel !
One should never assume that he/she is the only person working on some particular ship. There is always a chance that somebody is doing the same kind of model as well. And I think there is nothing bad in such an ovelap. To everyone's benefit eventually.

Here is what I did on Hood quite a while ago but never finished due to lack of time. The only thing I can say guys: "Take care of the damage model". Without appropriate damage models these nice ships will be mostly an eye candy because it will be difficult to reproduce historical battles/events.

I wonder why you guys would rather make some tanker than this!!! I mean... it's like you pick a yugo over ferrari when you can get the ferrari. Please if anyone ever finds time to see it through, this could be one of most popular downloads ships for SH3.
I agree, its nice and I hope it gets finished, but please don't bash those that would rather make "some tanker." Capital ships like the Hood (and Iowa) are very, very rare. Meanwhile, about 99.9% of the time in SH3 is dedicated to finding and attacking merchant shipping. Frankly, many people, myself included, were getting quite tired of sinking the same 8 or so merchant ships, most of which aren't very representative of the 1940s merchant fleet, and the work of AG124, iambecomelife, sergbuto, and others is very much hopeful and appreciated.
booger2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-06, 04:06 PM   #752
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Yea, as much as I'd like a nice model of that Hood in there... let Bismarck sink the Hood, I want my tankers

Still, all of you guys keep at it!

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-06, 11:24 PM   #753
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Will the real HMS Hood please stand up?

They look fantastic - I've always wondered how warship modders managed to get all the precise details to look correct (or at least a good approximation of reality).

@CCIP - I've been wondering about tankers myself. ATM I think there are three modded ones - a very large one I made (WIP), AG124's coastal tanker (released) and the Empire Celt, also by AG124 (WIP). I'm not releasing my first tanker because of QC issues, and I think AG124 said the same thing about one of his own WIP tankers. We probably need more medium ships between 5000-8500 tons, along with a much smaller number of extremely large and small ones.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-06, 11:28 PM   #754
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uapa
Hi!
I'have a question is it possible to make a sailing ship?
I think the biggest problem would be the sails. To look realistic they would have to be affected by the wind, and the game represents all ships' surfaces as solid materials.
Old 04-21-06, 11:32 PM   #755
Boris
Sea Lord

Downloads: 41

Is there an ETA on the release of your ships iambecomelife?
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-06, 11:43 PM   #756
Cdre Gibs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Scaling of the 8, 11, 15inch Axis Guns.

11inch UVmaped
Old 04-22-06, 08:22 AM   #757
Warhunter
Gunner

Downloads: 0

I also got an allied 31000ts troop transport in production.
Warhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-06, 11:51 AM   #758
sergbuto
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG124
This is why Iambecomelife and I usually discuss the ships we are working on. We are kitbashing merchants, which is quite different than what you guys are doing, but it would not be good if we were all working on the same ones in some cases (whale factories, for example).
What do you mean by discussing? F.e. in a number of threads, I mentioned about some things I was working on, including Hood. Therefore, info is in principle out there. People do modelling for fun.
Old 04-22-06, 12:16 PM   #759
AG124
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4

Nothing elaborate. We usually just post here when we are working on ships, and that way we can keep track of what is going on. For example, I posted pictures of a Lake Ship I was working on and Iambecomelife posted pictures if an Ore Carrier (the Marore). If I wanted to work on an ore carrier, or Iambecomelife wanted to make another Lake Ship that would be OK, but these types of ships were not common so we don't really need more than one type of each yet. So when it is know that these types are already WIP's, we could work on another type.

BTW - Modelling new/kitbashed ships is indeed fun. If I didn't have fun kitbashing, I wouldn't be doing it. But it is also a need to benefit the community as well. If theere were five modellers making five different whale factory ships instead of five completely different types of merchants that might not work out so well. But people here still do have to work on projects which they find to be interesting and enjoyable.

DOWNLOAD GWX HERE:
http://www.thegreywolves.com/index.html
AG124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-06, 06:13 PM   #760
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris
Nope. I think I'm only about 20% of the way there at most. IMO there should be at least a couple dozen medium cargo ships alone - not to mention other types.

I wanted to release the CAM-ship early but I am having problems getting it to spawn Hurricanes when it is attacked. I have had long gun battles with the thing and it never bothers to fly off the aircraft. I've already scripted in a Hurricane flightgroup, like with carriers and the cruisers Sergbuto modded. Not sure what's wrong.
Old 04-23-06, 12:17 AM   #761
Boris
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris
Nope. I think I'm only about 20% of the way there at most. IMO there should be at least a couple dozen medium cargo ships alone - not to mention other types.

I wanted to release the CAM-ship early but I am having problems getting it to spawn Hurricanes when it is attacked. I have had long gun battles with the thing and it never bothers to fly off the aircraft. I've already scripted in a Hurricane flightgroup, like with carriers and the cruisers Sergbuto modded. Not sure what's wrong.
At that rate SHIV could be out by the time it's done

If you need any help doing anything I'd be happy to...
Old 04-23-06, 12:48 AM   #762
Type941
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP
Yea, as much as I'd like a nice model of that Hood in there... let Bismarck sink the Hood, I want my tankers
I think any submarine captain would have loved to have a chance at sinking a big mama ship. Besides, where's the glory in sinking a defensless tanker with civilian crew, compared to 50k ton battlecruiser? :|\

The WW2 went that way that germans had to attack shipping lines, but I'm sure in other circumstances, taking down capital ships would have been a preferred choice any day. In any case, may be we just need a bit more of medium sized warships, like cruisers. And of course Germany had quite a few notable warships that are missing too.

BTW, those wacky Ore ships and Whale Factories - those rule!

Sink the Bismarck SH3 Movie
Type941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-06, 05:55 AM   #763
booger2005
Engineer

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type941
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP
I think any submarine captain would have loved to have a chance at sinking a big mama ship.
U-56 ran into Hood, Nelson, and Rodney a short time after the Royal Oak debacle. A spread of torps hit Nelson, I think, but all were duds.

Quote:
Besides, where's the glory in sinking a defensless tanker with civilian crew, compared to 50k ton battlecruiser? :|\
The point is simply that your going to see that tanker many dozens of times more than you ever would a capital ship, which, IMHO, makes the tanker worthy of significant effort.

Quote:
The WW2 went that way that germans had to attack shipping lines, but I'm sure in other circumstances, taking down capital ships would have been a preferred choice any day.
Yes, destroying the Royal Navy would have been a prefered choice, but not with U-boats! They were designed for commerce raiding, not thrust into the position by circumstance. The Japanese tried the whole "using a submarine as a warship" thing, and by and large it didn't work. Submarine technology of the 1940s just wasn't suited to the task. Capital ships moved so fast, you have to be in great position to start with and you only got 1 shot. Meanwhile, U-boats could pummel a slow convoy night after night for days. Sure, there are a few notable incidents in history of submarine success against capital ships, from Otto Wedigan right on up to the Indianapolis, but those incidents are rare, and usually involved a combination of luck and incompetence on the enemy's part.

I think it's great that there is work being done on capital ships, I really do. My point is that the major focus of this sim, as it was in real life, is the battle between the U-boat and merchant shipping. Therefore, I am very greatful to those who would work on "some tanker", and IMHO it would be a mistake to abandon the merchant fleet altogether in favor of capital ships.
booger2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-06, 10:26 AM   #764
Boris
Sea Lord

I totally agree!

The most important additions are more merchants, and small and middle sized one's at that.
There needs to be a much greater diversity in the game's merchants and a balance to bring the tonnages down.
Ships over 7000 tons should be a prize, and capital ships, liners etc... holy grails. Sure these need to be there to be found, but smaller merchants is where its at.
Old 04-23-06, 10:47 AM   #765
Cdre Gibs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I'm just wondering how many of us shipwrites use 3D SMax? I'm hoping a few do as I need a lil bit of help.

I have just fixed quite a few major bug's I had with my PC (nasty lil left over SP2 issues my PC hated) and in doing so I ummm sorta deleted the "Import/Export how to" tute that Seeadler made a while back (Max was 1 of the programs I had to reinstall). And since my memory aint what it use to be I cant recall the settings. I have tried a few exports, and every time I have had either a CTD or the model in game looks like it came straight from hell. So if any1 else uses Max, pls can you post the Import/Export settings in screen shot format for 3DS Max 6/7 (5 may even do) or sadly I will no longer be able to make any more Ship or Bio Expacks.

Thx