SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-10-16, 05:02 PM   #61
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

I could have put a link to this article, but it's from a Swedish news paper or the news version from the main public tv-channel SVT.

The main headline:

Proposal: How to talk to your child about Trump

Now that Trump have been elected as the President of USA, it have made many children worried and here the grown-ups need to take a talk with their children about trump.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-16, 05:10 PM   #62
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
but the bottom line is, there really is no reason the United States won't make it out of number 45
Honestly, I'm inclined to agree, and I'm even open to the idea of Trump surprising us all with a slightly softer line to the one he took in the campaign.
I'm just worried about how this is going to affect people in certain groups who will be victimised by other people, and, again since I feel that I need to state this, this also includes Trump supporters who are being attacked. No-one, and I repeat, No-one should be physically or mentally abused or discriminated against because of their gender, race, sexual preference, religious or political beliefs. Since I'm sure that I'll have to clarify it, yes, that includes people who want to keep a firearm, the only concern I would have on that is their ability to safely own and operate one, my signature basically describes how I feel on that...slight derail there but I just want to make sure that if someone picks me up on that I have already addressed it.

I think a lot of Trumps plans are going to hit the brick walls of reality soon, so what we'll see will no doubt be a lot of watered down promises...but that's nothing new from a politician...and Trump, like it or not...is now a politician.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-16, 05:45 PM   #63
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by agathosdaimon View Post
but this kind of opinion on citing anything then falls into being part of some infallible narrative - ie, thats a selective quote it doesnt matter -okay, so what only texts in full should be posted?
No. We'd rather not see quotes of entire articles here - links are better. The problem in this case is that the author of the article lied about what was said, and you repeated that lie. Fortunately the author did post a link to the entire interview. Selective quotes are fine, as long as they don't distort what was actually said. In this case it did.

Quote:
No matter what one says, once we settle our minds on one perspective or another no amount of information to the contrary will change the side we have picked to be on it seems.
Yes it does.

Quote:
I think rather than just dismissing every quote or worse, the very concept of quoting at all, out of hand, we should hear and respond always to the information presented.
Even when the information presented is distorted and designed to fill someone's agenda?

Quote:
This is how a constructive discussion can be had, we work through the information that each side presents, and if something that one side presents is false, then the side saying it is false should give explanation as to why they believe it so - and by this i mean the content of what is said, not just running with the pre-formed view because so and so said it, it must by virtue of this be false..... claiming someone is biased is meaningless if what they are pointing out are the actual sentences uttered or statements written. The person may very well have their own political affiliation, but pretty much everyone does and anyone who claims they dont, well each side just accuses them of bias as soon as that "neutral" person says something that conflicts with a position that one side holds
All of this is true. On the other hand, beginning a discussions with accusations of how horrible the person in question is, is not discussion at all, but inflammation. Better to start off with reason than attacks.

Quote:
claiming every time some information doesnt fit ones narrative that said information can be ignored because a biased person said it, really makes any kind of discussion impossible doesnt it?
Deliberately misquoting someone to fit one's agenda does so as well. As I pointed out before, that is exactly what the article in question does.
Old 11-10-16, 11:08 PM   #64
agathosdaimon
Planesman

Downloads: 142

well what if the person is horrible? and his behaviour has made this pretty clear hasnt it?

and now look at what is coming in in day 1 of Trumps America

https://twitter.com/i/moments/796417517157830656
agathosdaimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-16, 07:15 AM   #65
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

So I know this guy posting links from half a world away telling me that at my location the sky is falling. <Looks out window > Nope, its still there.
Old 11-11-16, 09:22 AM   #66
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 541
Uploads: 224

Quote:
well what if the person is horrible? and his behaviour has made this pretty clear hasnt it?

https://twitter.com/i/moments/796417517157830656
So, some kids have posted this on their FB and twitter, it must be true.
Old 11-11-16, 09:39 AM   #67
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
As I pointed out before, we have had members here who spent the past eight years talking about how horrible Obama was, and how he was going to instill martial law and make himself Dictator. It could still happen, but I wouldn't bet on it. Now fear mongers from the left are predicting that Trump is going to destroy everything. I wouldn't bet on that either, no matter how much you want it to happen.

Quote:
What you don't seem to understand is that there are a great many of us, on the Left and the Right, who know what America really stands for, and who are willing to step up and fight against that sort of thing.

We've had bad presidents before, and have survived quite nicely. That said, we won't know how bad, or good, he really is until he's been in office for awhile. Some of those on the Left hated Bush long before he took us into Iraq, but that's the excuse they gave after the fact. Some of those on the Right hate Obama with a passion, yet overall he hasn't really done that badly. As I also pointed out earlier, the article this whole thread is based on lied about what Trump actually said. That some individuals reflect the worst in us is not necessarily his fault, and what they actually do, if anything, can be dealt with on an individual basis.

Until he actually takes office and his policies become clear, all of this crying and shouting does no one any good, and is in itself more hurtful than helpful.
Old 11-11-16, 10:28 AM   #68
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 24

^either way he's already keeping his promise: "He's making 'Merica grate...again"

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-16, 01:20 PM   #69
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Man i wasn't on the site for a day, what became of this tread ?!

I posted a link to an opinion piece which maybe (!) has a bit of truth in it, and i also said it is hard to swallow. Moore's chrystal ball prediction of Trump winning the election is much more biased. Why do you think i'd be so fond of it? I am not.
I do not want to answer each and every post, nut just to remember i did not write said article and i am not "Agathosdaimon" . Bilge rat's Realclearpolitics.com link is much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
You know what I want to see happen right now? I want the moderators to issue a warrant for the arrest and an internet wide BOLO for one cunning and elusive character known as Catfish.. When found have him arrested for felony Hit and Run and hanged by his bigtoes
Yeah i bet you'd like that. Bolo and hanged for felony. Seems regarding sheer hate the article is not entirely wrong.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-16, 02:01 PM   #70
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 541
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Man i wasn't on the site for a day, what became of this tread ?!

Yeah i bet you'd like that. Bolo and hanged for felony. Seems regarding sheer hate the article is not entirely wrong.

Old 11-11-16, 02:27 PM   #71
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Old 11-11-16, 04:00 PM   #72
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post

Wow a radio shock jock saying something provocative. It's well,... shocking!

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-16, 04:23 PM   #73
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

I'm already saving up my acorns for the next one... you can be Vice President, Catfish
Old 11-11-16, 04:29 PM   #74
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I don't know if this is the right thread to post this American-Presidential-election-history

Found this on FB.

"The president was considered to rough and crude to be a competent leader. Democrats incited riots in the cities, States run my Democrats threatened to secede even before he took office. 1860"

Sound interesting, does anyone of you have more about this historical event ?

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-16, 04:32 PM   #75
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Wow a radio shock jock saying something provocative. It's well,... shocking!
Hypocritical was more the word I was looking for, but I guess shocking will do if you like.