SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-10, 10:08 PM   #61
Vikinger
Captain

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutted View Post
wonder what the devs would think.. all that effort on a new UI, to have us bring back the old one just 2 days after release.

Who are the devs?

They gave us a shell that we have to fill Just like whit sh3 and 4.
Old 03-04-10, 10:08 PM   #62
UrPeaceKeeper
Helmsman

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0

Quote:
wonder what the devs would think.. all that effort on a new UI, to have us bring back the old one just 2 days after release.
At this point and time they did all the hard work by updating the graphics and adding the full submarine and the Role playing, we are just returning it to an interface that doesnt suck...

For what it's worth the teleporting still works from what I had when I was messing around with the buttons and what not... didnt try to dive to see if it teleported the captain, but it may be the step towards the "Make my captain run to a place in a hurry :P I personally never minded the teleporting, but it is nice to walk around the boat when I'm bored :P

EDIT: Scarier yet is the amount of code and files left over from previous versions. It's stupid how much stuff is left in there. They have the "American" folder from SH4 left in there... completely unnecessary but it was too difficult to just go into the files and remove the lines that refered to the American Folder, so what they did was leave them in there and for images they made the images transparant, similiar to the old UI as we are finding out. This is very poor programing but it does have one advantage: UI bugs from rewriting the UI and removing old files are almost non-existent... I guess it was "practical" from their standpoint, but I dont see nearly the same file structure and coding between CoD:MW, CoD:WaW and CoD:MW2, all use the same engine, but have very different coding...
Old 03-04-10, 10:20 PM   #63
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

Do the dials get bigger when you mouse over them like in SHIV?
Old 03-04-10, 10:29 PM   #64
Vikinger
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrPeaceKeeper View Post
At this point and time they did all the hard work by updating the graphics and adding the full submarine and the Role playing, we are just returning it to an interface that doesnt suck...

For what it's worth the teleporting still works from what I had when I was messing around with the buttons and what not... didnt try to dive to see if it teleported the captain, but it may be the step towards the "Make my captain run to a place in a hurry :P I personally never minded the teleporting, but it is nice to walk around the boat when I'm bored :P

EDIT: Scarier yet is the amount of code and files left over from previous versions. It's stupid how much stuff is left in there. They have the "American" folder from SH4 left in there... completely unnecessary but it was too difficult to just go into the files and remove the lines that refered to the American Folder, so what they did was leave them in there and for images they made the images transparant, similiar to the old UI as we are finding out. This is very poor programing but it does have one advantage: UI bugs from rewriting the UI and removing old files are almost non-existent... I guess it was "practical" from their standpoint, but I dont see nearly the same file structure and coding between CoD:MW, CoD:WaW and CoD:MW2, all use the same engine, but have very different coding...
This have been in since sh3. When they did sh4 there was nearly a full copie left of sh3 in it. And same whit this sh5.

However it makes its easier for us modders to identify from prevoius version what to change or to keep. But if they removed all thos unecessary files i think the game wud fit on a floppy disc
Old 03-04-10, 10:30 PM   #65
UrPeaceKeeper
Helmsman

Quote:
Do the dials get bigger when you mouse over them like in SHIV?
In the original release they do not, not sure about the new one with the full on HUD... I Hope so... if not I think I can look past it being as the rest of the HUD works

TheDarkWraith is there anything else you need help finding right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikinger View Post
This have been in since sh3. When they did sh4 there was nearly a full copie left of sh3 in it. And same whit this sh5.

However it makes its easier for us modders to identify from prevoius version what to change or to keep. But if they removed all thos unecessary files i think the game wud fit on a floppy disc
ROFL, nice! I agree, it probably would! At least one CD!
Old 03-04-10, 10:38 PM   #66
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

nope, finishing up new UI. Now I'm going through all the buttons and those that do not work I'm removing/disabling. We can investigate reasons why after UI is tested awhile for stability and errors.
Old 03-04-10, 10:41 PM   #67
UrPeaceKeeper
Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
nope, finishing up new UI. Now I'm going through all the buttons and those that do not work I'm removing/disabling. We can investigate reasons why after UI is tested awhile for stability and errors.
Sounds good, let me know if you do need anything, I'm going to go see if I can't figure out why the UZO crosshairs are all janked in the first zoom option...
Old 03-04-10, 10:46 PM   #68
Vikinger
Captain

Quote:
Sounds good, let me know if you do need anything, I'm going to go see if I can't figure out why the UZO crosshairs are all janked in the first zoom option...
I think that is many of the initialy problems we had whit sh4.

Remember the AA gun did not line up.
The mast heights, etc

My guess is that the devs used the standard valsue for many things from sh4 that the modders changed later on.

So dl some tweaks for thos things u are looking for and compare them.
Old 03-04-10, 10:48 PM   #69
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
there is one thing acting strange. The message pad will now open up when you press the button (didn't work before with the 3 dials) BUT it drops down in position under the interface. It's probably a script doing this. It would be a script under the page default hud i'm guessing. If you want to look into this. I'll send you what I've done so far so you can see what I'm talking about.

here's what it's looking like so far (I expanded the map and tools just to show it):

notice that I click on the depth under keel button and look what appeared in the message pad!

There's some kind of level looking line missing that sits above the CO2, fuel, batteries block. I can 'see' it in the menu editor but can't see it in game.
Old 03-04-10, 10:55 PM   #70
UrPeaceKeeper
Helmsman

You were correct, under Page Default Hud:

[G0A I252]
Name=Messages
Type=1026;Menu group
ItemID=0xA2B0000
ParentID=0xA000000
Pos=705,-718,315,50
Zone= 705 50 315 50 0 1 0xA000000 1 -1 0xA2B0000 -1 1 -4 0
Old 03-04-10, 11:03 PM   #71
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
You were correct, under Page Default Hud:

[G0A I252]
Name=Messages
Type=1026;Menu group
ItemID=0xA2B0000
ParentID=0xA000000
Pos=705,-718,315,50
Zone= 705 50 315 50 0 1 0xA000000 1 -1 0xA2B0000 -1 1 -4 0
I found what I was looking for regarding the message box in the default hud script. Now I'm attempting to fix the problem - problem appears to be with bottombar. I gotta move it up also.....
Old 03-04-10, 11:05 PM   #72
TopcatWA
Navy Dude

Downloads: 36

Well Done. Anything to make the game run easier.
03.Sobers_Better_Rocks & Sand
04.Small_Nav_Tools_w_Chrono
05.Brit_MkVIII_US_Mk28_Torps
06.ROW Sound effects.v.9/Enviromental 5.0
O/S Win10 Pro 64-Bit/Intel 64xQuad Core
CPU i7-4790+3.60 Ghz 32gig RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX-1650 Ti
Old 03-04-10, 11:07 PM   #73
UrPeaceKeeper
Helmsman

Ohh whoops you were looking for the actual script file?! Oi... thought you meant the Message box location indicator Playing around with the values, .5 and -.5 sets the box dead center at the bottom of the screen, which makes no sense to me... Originally I thought it was a coordinate system (thats too easy isnt it...) but it isnt truely a coordinate system, or at least one that I understand...

EDIT: I believe what you are talking about a level indicator above the battery/CO2/COmpressed Air/Fuel indicator is the fuel indicator for the Walter Drive with the Hydrogen Peroxide fuel level. Wont matter for us as we dont have access to the Walter Drive in this game.

Interesting question though, if the file systems are this similiar I wonder if that means we can add other submarines to this game... And if that holds true that means Surface ships should also be easy to implement...
Old 03-04-10, 11:07 PM   #74
UberMatz
Sailor man

Downloads: 19

You guys are restoring my faith that I won't have to shelve this game and wait for months for the fixes. I almost had to clean myself after I installed the 3 dials... now you've nearly got the entire SH4 UI!!!! WooHoo!!!
Seriously, you guys are the best of the best!! I really hope you are aware how much you are appreciated! Especially by a programming illiterate swabbie like myself!

UberMatz
Old 03-04-10, 11:21 PM   #75
UrPeaceKeeper
Helmsman

Slightly OT, UZO bug is indeed a bug... everything I see in the scripting files and the .ini files defining it show that it should display normal in the first zoom in mode... Not sure whats happening there...

I'm giving up on the UZO for now and I'm going to see if I can't find info for the TDC and how it's disabled in the game and see if it isnt possible to re-enable it. No promises, I'm a horrid amerature =\
Closed Thread