SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-05-09, 07:46 AM   #61
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Really cool. I'm off to give it a go. Ask Neal to post this on the download page as well.
Old 07-05-09, 09:11 AM   #62
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Range ring moved manually has been usuable for a while and works great with Rockin Robins O'Kane Method, but your other two movable rings for AOB and speed are new. This brings the PK full circle. I worked the PK as you described.

1. Identify the vessel.
2. Obtain range/bearing (wait a minute or more before next reading...in the mean time, set up your torpedoes for speed, depth, etc.)
3. Obtain second reading of range/bearing
4. Click stop watch for speed.
5. Obtain AOB
6. One last range/bearing reading
7. Turn on PK

Now, this is were it gets a bit dicey for me, when you turn on the PK the AOB and speed returns to 0 (zero). The player needs to update immediately so the PK is accurate. Is this correct? It is the only way I see to get all the information into the PK so tracking can be accurate. Other than that, it works very well.

EDIT: It looks like you do not have to identify the ship at all. Just pick a spot for the stadimeter reading. Wait a good 2-3 minutes(the longer the better for more accurate read on speed) and take another reading from the stadimeter from that exact same spot then click the stop watch for speed. I'm thinking this is OK as not all ships in the identfication manual were present. Some ships had a mast increased with antennas and such. Some ships had a mast removed for whatever reason.

Last edited by AVGWarhawk; 07-05-09 at 10:10 AM.
AVGWarhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 12:33 PM   #63
Urge
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

So, does this mod play well with the clickable range mod incorporated in TMO 1.7?

Urge
Old 07-05-09, 04:17 PM   #64
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Downloads: 362
Uploads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Range ring moved manually has been usuable for a while and works great with Rockin Robins O'Kane Method, but your other two movable rings for AOB and speed are new. This brings the PK full circle. I worked the PK as you described.

1. Identify the vessel.
2. Obtain range/bearing (wait a minute or more before next reading...in the mean time, set up your torpedoes for speed, depth, etc.)
3. Obtain second reading of range/bearing
4. Click stop watch for speed.
5. Obtain AOB
6. One last range/bearing reading
7. Turn on PK

Now, this is were it gets a bit dicey for me, when you turn on the PK the AOB and speed returns to 0 (zero). The player needs to update immediately so the PK is accurate. Is this correct? It is the only way I see to get all the information into the PK so tracking can be accurate. Other than that, it works very well.

EDIT: It looks like you do not have to identify the ship at all. Just pick a spot for the stadimeter reading. Wait a good 2-3 minutes(the longer the better for more accurate read on speed) and take another reading from the stadimeter from that exact same spot then click the stop watch for speed. I'm thinking this is OK as not all ships in the identfication manual were present. Some ships had a mast increased with antennas and such. Some ships had a mast removed for whatever reason.
Hi Warhawk,

Not sure what you mean here. My idea is that the player can enter the data while PK is off and once inputted start the PK.

I don't see the same problem with the speed. When PK is off I can enter the speed in the TGT DIAL and send to the PK. Then start the PK after all the data entered.

EDIT: Also, the draggable range ring is not the mod here, its the fact that dragging the range ring will also change on the PK.

Last edited by ddrgn; 07-05-09 at 05:26 PM.
ddrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 04:25 PM   #65
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urge View Post
So, does this mod play well with the clickable range mod incorporated in TMO 1.7?

Urge
I was unaware of this until I edited the TMO dials.cfg.

With the mod, the clickable range is no more. You have sliding dials on the TGT DIAL with the mod when using the TMO version.
Old 07-05-09, 09:11 PM   #66
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default you need to Id the ship

If you do not id the ship you cannot be sure the run depth for the torpedoes is correct. Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey, Hey, GOODBYE.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 09:37 PM   #67
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Hi Warhawk,

Not sure what you mean here. My idea is that the player can enter the data while PK is off and once inputted start the PK.

I don't see the same problem with the speed. When PK is off I can enter the speed in the TGT DIAL and send to the PK. Then start the PK after all the data entered.

EDIT: Also, the draggable range ring is not the mod here, its the fact that dragging the range ring will also change on the PK.
No, I understand what you have done but what I was stating is you do not need to identify the ship to get the speed. In the torpedo school with the heavy cruiser, I picked a spot on the vessel and got the range(was not accurate as I did not input the ship ID). I waited about a minute and took the range reading from the same spot on the ship. I did get an accurate speed. In between waiting on the time to pass to get the speed I did go to the ship ID book and find the ship. I also set up my torpedoes. For a very accurate reading wait about 3 minutes before you next range reading. In the mean time, ID the vessel and set up yout torps. After I established the speed, ID and set up my torpedoes I then did enter the identified vessel for accurate range. PK was turned on at this point. Note, I had to reset AOB and speed after turning on the PK. It did not hold what I dialed in once I turned it on.

I'm going down...I like to run my torps shallow no matter what the vessel
Old 07-05-09, 09:56 PM   #68
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default question

ddrgn, what does TGT mean? I call the dial on the right the TBT. The dial on the left I call the stadimeter.

And all three mods are on your most recent post?
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 10:58 PM   #69
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
ddrgn, what does TGT mean? I call the dial on the right the TBT. The dial on the left I call the stadimeter.

And all three mods are on your most recent post?
All three mods are there yes, on the subsim download.

TGT is an acronym for TARGET used by the Navy and the the devs when naming the area you call the stadimeter.
Old 07-06-09, 06:01 AM   #70
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

This is a pretty big deal. It restores a lot of reality to our TDC. In the real thing there was no send button between the input cranks and output dials. Everything was a real time operation. This mod produces that functionality. I never could understand the crazy send buttons!

Then it introduces direct input of range, again with no necessity to hit a send button. This is another feature that was part of the real TDC but mucked up in the game. AND we can still directly input from the stadimeter. (none of the dials is called the stadimeter. The stadimeter is an angle measurement device in the periscope, matched to a calculator that changes that angle into a distance measurement.)

So we lose nothing but gain a lot of convenience. Good show!

Our next very large deficit in the way the US TDC worked is that we don't have the direct link between periscope and TDC that the real boats did. Just like the U-Boats, the US Boats could do the Fast-90 attack, where the periscope bearing automatically altered the AoB in the TDC. Dick O'Kane did it and described the process in one of his books. He would let the periscope update the TDC while he aimed ahead of the target, shooting as the target crossed the wire. He could only do that with a direct periscope/TDC link.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 07:23 AM   #71
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
So we lose nothing but gain a lot of convenience.
What convenience do we gain? The information gathering seems to be all the same to me. The only difference is I do not turn on the PK until I have dialed in my findings. At that point of turning on the PK my AOB and speed go right back to zero. I have to adjust those again then click update. Unless I'm missing something here on that aspect What I have found is using the same reference point for range will net the speed. It is not necessary to initially ID the vessel for proper speed finding. I can dilly dally with the ship ID during the 3 minute interval between range readings on the same referenced mark. At that point I can ID the vessel and get an accurate range reading. Turn PK on and re-adjust the AOB and speed because they return to zero when I turn on the PK. Still, it is a nifty mod and adds to the game.
Old 07-06-09, 08:34 AM   #72
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

So to be clear, is the JSGME version compatable with RFB, and could it be installed mid-patrol?
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 08:46 AM   #73
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish40 View Post
So to be clear, is the JSGME version compatable with RFB, and could it be installed mid-patrol?
It is compatible. I loaded mid patrol in TMO without issue. I believe you will be fine with RFB and loading mid patrol.
Old 07-06-09, 09:16 AM   #74
Fish40
The Old Man

Thanks AVG! Installing now!
Old 07-06-09, 10:25 AM   #75
Fish40
The Old Man

I must be doing something wrong. I d/l the mod. I then extracted the proper folder (RFB version) to JSGME, I activated the mod, but it dosen't work. PK is off, but the dials are not turning on both sides. AOB only turns on the original settings dial. Even if a target is locked, same thing. What went wrong? Help please!