SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-30-16, 10:10 AM   #706
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Steve Gibson's Never10 vs. Josh Mayfield's GWX Control Panel

http://www.infoworld.com/article/304...rol-panel.html

BTW: New GWX is out v.1.7.3.1

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-16, 05:50 PM   #707
STEED
Lucky Jack

Icon8

Hi Folks you know I posted about a friend getting a Win8 laptop he has told me he got a email from Windows welcome to win8 and would he like to know more about upgrading to win10. How the hell did they get his email? This is news to me as I have never come across such a thing.

Quote:
Welcome to Windows 8.1
This is an email to help you get the most out of Windows. It will help you get familiar with Windows – to do more, more easily, than before.
If you’ve opted out of receiving email, this is the only email that you will receive other than mandatory communications.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!

Last edited by STEED; 03-30-16 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-30-16, 06:40 PM   #708
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

It's possible any number of ways. Did he buy or acquire the laptop online? Probably had to give his email address to do the buy; the seller could be a "partner" with MS who shares info (mailing lists, etc.) with MS. Did he send in a warranty card or something of the sort? Again, if it had an email address on it, MS could have gotten it that way. Seriously, the average internet user should have more concern about the non-governmental collection and sharing of data than they do of any government agencies; in point of fact, the governments don't have to exert much effort on an individual level to find out about us - all they have to do is go into the various commercial, educational, and other databases and mine away. People would be surprised how easy it is to assemble a rather detailed picture of their lives with data not in the government reach...

<O>
Old 03-30-16, 07:25 PM   #709
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
It's possible any number of ways. Did he buy or acquire the laptop online? Probably had to give his email address to do the buy; the seller could be a "partner" with MS who shares info (mailing lists, etc.) with MS. Did he send in a warranty card or something of the sort? Again, if it had an email address on it, MS could have gotten it that way. Seriously, the average internet user should have more concern about the non-governmental collection and sharing of data than they do of any government agencies; in point of fact, the governments don't have to exert much effort on an individual level to find out about us - all they have to do is go into the various commercial, educational, and other databases and mine away. People would be surprised how easy it is to assemble a rather detailed picture of their lives with data not in the government reach...

<O>
Just been speaking him about did he have to use his email on setting up anyway he did say he bought it online from amazon uk so as he had no other dealing with MS I would assume that will be a one off email. I suggested if he gets more just block them, just shows how everything can be got hold of these days.

Old 03-31-16, 06:01 AM   #710
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Since big companies like MS have a deal with their nation's secret services, there is not much that remains private, or anonymous.

And then there are the companies themselves, which sell your data , metadata and buying habits.

Certainly all to make you feel secure and well-cared for.

May have its advantages, ask your GCHQ if you harddisk fails, maybe they have a backup.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-16, 07:42 AM   #711
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

There are also random e-mails sent out to interest groups, for instance people who have registered a version of Windows. Most copies of Windows bought from retail outlets are pre-activated, but membership on any Microsoft website or its affiliates could subject you to random e-mails from Microsoft and/or affiliates.

Check that e-mail to see if there is an opt-out link. Opt-out links are kind of self-contradictory. If the company is unscrupulous, going to the site and opting out is just telling them "Yup! This here is a genuine real e-mail site. Bombs away there bub!"

However, I think that if this is a Microsoft e-mail, opting out is likely a legitimate operation. Then again, they DID just reset my option to forbid operating system upgrades...... I'd still opt-out.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 03-31-16 at 07:59 AM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-16, 11:32 AM   #712
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Check that e-mail to see if there is an opt-out link.
Had a look at the email it contains links to how to do this and that along with video links and near to bottom Win10 sales pitch. No opt-out links found and no we did not try any of the links. I said just keep a eye on it and see how you go, probably was a one off welcome to win8 run of the mill emails.

Old 04-01-16, 11:22 AM   #713
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Icon8 pushy pushy

JUST came into the mancave after breakfast to find my computer upgrading to WIN 10 without my say-so; I quickly killed the computer and the modem and the computer then announced restoring itself "to my previous system"-10 minutes of my life wasted there! Message came back: "upgrade incomplete". These buggers are getting awfully pushy. I especially don't like the band-wagon 'everyone else' approach to their marketing. My wife's new laptop has WIN10 so it's not like I'm without recourse to total joy...just not on my mancave's computer just yet, thanks .

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-16, 12:55 PM   #714
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
JUST came into the mancave after breakfast to find my computer upgrading to WIN 10 without my say-so; I quickly killed the computer and the modem and the computer then announced restoring itself "to my previous system"-10 minutes of my life wasted there! Message came back: "upgrade incomplete". These buggers are getting awfully pushy. I especially don't like the band-wagon 'everyone else' approach to their marketing. My wife's new laptop has WIN10 so it's not like I'm without recourse to total joy...just not on my mancave's computer just yet, thanks .
That is why I turned off auto updates use GWX and Spybot Anti beacon. MS has stuck a gun in everyone's head and pulled the trigger without giving a toot about their actions. Being offered Win10 is one thing but to have that forced on to you is a whole new ball game.

Old 04-01-16, 12:58 PM   #715
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

YIPES they just tried it again...must be the BORG! I'm being assimilated!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-16, 01:07 PM   #716
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
YIPES they just tried it again...must be the BORG! I'm being assimilated!
Did you delete the - $WINDOWS.~BT folder

Get the GWX control panel

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

Old 04-01-16, 04:10 PM   #717
STEED
Lucky Jack

Roll up roll up get your win10 patches yet again..

Quote:
For the second time this month, Microsoft pushed out three optional patches to grease the skids for Windows 10

http://www.infoworld.com/article/305...d-2977759.html

Old 04-01-16, 06:29 PM   #718
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
Roll up roll up get your win10 patches yet again..

http://www.infoworld.com/article/305...d-2977759.html
Who would have thought that Groundhog Day was a prophetic movie?
Old 04-01-16, 07:26 PM   #719
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Who would have thought that Groundhog Day was a prophetic movie?
One of my all time favorite films now has a bad taste because of KB305 & KB303 (5583) et.al (when I have KB patch numbers memorized, it's bad.)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby YIPES they just tried it again...must be the BORG! I'm being assimilated!
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-16, 07:10 AM   #720
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Icon14

Well, Aktungbby, the theme of this thread is that assimilation is not inevitable and you can successfully resist.

Tags
windows