SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-13-13, 02:03 PM   #706
keysersoze
Ensign

Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
My bad: I didn't express myself clearly. I just wanted to understand if the discrpancies among various sources can be explained by "physiological" drops, rather than to human errors
yep, I understand perfectly now. I should have read it more carefully too.

Quote:
vierling's tracking speed.
No many sources on this topic. Nonetheless, the Admiralty report I mentioned yesterday states:

"This weapon has been found clumsy to handle since it is laid and trained by one man working two handwheels, as well as difficult to train during an aircraft's run-up, and especially during a breakaway." (p. 16)

Unfortunately, no numerical information is provided. So far, I had its traverse/elevation speeds set respectively to 25 and 30 deg/sec. Elevation rate is the same used arbitrarily for single and twin C/38's. Talking about the train rate, it was calculated as 10/12 of the elevation rate, based on Müller's statement on C/38 guns that:

"One turn of the elevation handwheel raised the barrel 4 degrees, 12 degrees in overdrive; the traverse handwheel turned the gun 10 degrees per turn and 30 degrees in overdrive" (p. 6)

and assuming that the use of the traverse overdrive gear wouldn't have been possible for the vierling, due to the considerable weight of its platform which rotated together with the barrels.
Now, based on Admiralty's information I start wondering if my settings are too high compared with the 37mm SK C/30's documented rates of 4 and 3 deg/s (respectively traverse and elevation), which were similarly considered too slow
hmmm So we basically only have qualitative descriptions of the Vierling's tracking ability, but not much hard data. Based on these sources, I think 25 and 30 deg/sec is probably a little too fast, although your calculation of train rate being 10/12 of elevation rate (as per the C/38) seems correct. The question is, how much slower should the Vierling be? I tried searching for training speeds for the Allied 20mm Oerlikon in twin and quad mounts, hoping this might shed some light on our problem. Unfortunately, I can't find good comparative data between these models.

All I could do is guess at this point. Any ideas?
keysersoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-13, 05:42 PM   #707
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysersoze View Post
hmmm So we basically only have qualitative descriptions of the Vierling's tracking ability, but not much hard data. Based on these sources, I think 25 and 30 deg/sec is probably a little too fast, although your calculation of train rate being 10/12 of elevation rate (as per the C/38) seems correct. The question is, how much slower should the Vierling be? I tried searching for training speeds for the Allied 20mm Oerlikon in twin and quad mounts, hoping this might shed some light on our problem. Unfortunately, I can't find good comparative data between these models.

All I could do is guess at this point. Any ideas?
At this point, I think I will half its tracking rates to 12.5/15 deg/s, and we will decide wether to increase, decrease or keep them after testing...

yet another controversial topic: M42's rate of fire and feeding system:

according to navalweaps:
only cyclic RoF specified: 250 rpm; clip: 5-round ammunition strips

according to your "Historical Specifications" (Skwiot?):
cyclic RoF: 160-180 rpm; practical RoF: 60 rpm; clip: not specified

according to wikipedia:
cyclic RoF: 250 rpm; practical RoF: 120 rpm; clip: not specified*

* note that the above specs are relative to the 3.7 cm Flak 36 which, according to navweaps, was the army version of the gun that Kriegsmarine's M42 was based on. Wikipedia makes no mention of the naval mount, but it list a further development of the Flak 36, Flak 43, with the following specs: cyclic RoF: 250 rpm; practical RoF: 150 rpm; clip: 8-round clips. In the same article, it is also said that "The 3.7 cm Flak 43 M43U was the marine version of the 3.7 cm Flak 43 used by the Kriegsmarine on Type VII and Type IX U-boats. It was mounted on the LM42U mount"

according to Chris Bishop's Encyclopedia of Weapons of World War II (p. 167):
only cyclic rate of fire specified: 160 rpm; clip: linked 6-round clips

according to Steve Wiper's Warship Pictorial #27: Kriegsmarine Type VII U-boats (p. 55)
only one rate of fire figure specified (cyclic?): 180 rpm; clip: 6-round clip

according to navypedia:
only one rate of fire figure specified (cyclic?): 180 rpm; clip size not specified

according to British Admiralty's Interrogation of U-Boat Survivors - Cumulative Edition, June 1944 (p. 16, 18):
only practical RoF specified: 40-50 rpm; clip size: clip of 5 rounds

SUMMING UP:

Clip size:
2 sources out of 4 reporting information on the topic, refer a 5-round clip, whereas according to the remaining 2 sources, the clip contained 6 rounds. Moreover, Bishop reports that the clips could have been linked together, thus reducing the number of reloads (though this is just my deduction).

Cyclic RoF:
160-180 rpm according to 4 sources, 250 according to 2 other sources (navweaps and wikipedia) which are reporting information on it. I wonder if they confused RoF of this gun with the one of the latter M43

Prcatical RoF:
between 40 and 60 according to 2 out of 3 sources which are providing numbers for it (though one refers 40-50, and one 60), but wikipedia states a much higher RoF of 120 rpm. Again, this huge discrepancy induces me to think that they got this gun wrong.

combining different specifications I get the following reload times:

Code:
cyclic	pract.	clip	reload
RoF	RoF	size	time

160	60	5	3.125
170	60	5	3.235
160	60	6	3.750
180	60	5	3.333
170	60	6	3.882
180	60	6	4.000
170	50	5	4.235
170	50	6	5.082
160	40	5	5.625
170	40	5	5.735
180	40	5	5.833
160	40	6	6.750
170	40	6	6.882
180	40	6	7.000
Any suggestion?

Last edited by gap; 03-13-13 at 06:28 PM.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-13, 07:21 PM   #708
gap
Navy Seal

one last topic we have discussed a few days ago:
8.8 and 10.5cm deck gun rate of fire:

according to navalweaps:
15 rpm for both

according to Skwiot:
ask the mistery SH lover who stole the book

according to Wiper:
8.8cm: 16 rpm "with a well trained crew" (p. 50); 10.5 cm: not listed

according to navypedia:
15 rpm for both

according to Admiralty's Interrogation of U-Boat Survivors (p. 16):
8.8cm: 15-18 rpm
10.5cm: 15 rpm (it is stated "maximum")

SUMMING UP

several sources suggest that the 15 rpm rate of fire we had initially assumed for 8.8cm deckgun, could have been its average performance, and that under favourable condition an higher RoF could have been obtained. Nonetheless, I am also aware that ideal conditions rarely occurred during U-boat war patrols, due to a bunch of reasons including undertrained crews, fatigue, harsh sea conditions. etc. I am therefore a bit reluctant to accept the maximum RoF suggested by Admiralty reports of 18 rpm. On the other hand, the same source seem to stress that the 15 rpm figure reported for the 10.5cm gun was its absolute maximum, though no average RoF is given. Keeping the same proportionality shown by 8.8cm's RoF's, we can nonetheless guestimate:

15*15/18 = 12.5 rpm

This lower rate of fire could account for the heavier shell fired. So, if you accept my rasoning RoF's for 8.8 and 10.5cm deckguns, could be respectively 15 and 12.5.
Indeed, in-game reload times are affected by crew veterancy levels. We should check our settings in game, but the figures I am suggesting seem to me a good starting base. Do you agree?
Old 03-13-13, 11:39 PM   #709
keysersoze
Ensign

Quote:
vierling's tracking speed...
The mysterious SH5 player has returned Skwiot's book, but unfortunately he has nothing to add about the Vierling's tracking speed. He describes the mount in great technical detail but doesn't mention how well it functioned.

Quote:
yet another controversial topic: M42's rate of fire and feeding system
SUMMING UP:

Clip size:
2 sources out of 4 reporting information on the topic, refer a 5-round clip, whereas according to the remaining 2 sources, the clip contained 6 rounds. Moreover, Bishop reports that the clips could have been linked together, thus reducing the number of reloads (though this is just my deduction).

Cyclic RoF:
160-180 rpm according to 4 sources, 250 according to 2 other sources (navweaps and wikipedia) which are reporting information on it. I wonder if they confused RoF of this gun with the one of the latter M43

Prcatical RoF:
between 40 and 60 according to 2 out of 3 sources which are providing numbers for it (though one refers 40-50, and one 60), but wikipedia states a much higher RoF of 120 rpm. Again, this huge discrepancy induces me to think that they got this gun wrong.

Any suggestion?
Yes

After consulting Skwiot, I think I finally understand the M42 . He gives an extremely detailed discussion of the mechanics of the M42 (almost nine paragraphs, describing every lever, pin, bolt, and groove down to the millimeter). Skwiot says the practical rate of fire was 60 rpm (p. 341). He says this about the "magazine": "The cartridges were clipped in sets of five with metal strips. After loading the clip, the strips were removed and thrown away to the left" (p. 340).

If my understanding is correct, rounds were not loaded in a singular enclosed magazine. Rather, they came pre-packaged in five-round "stripper clips," which could be quickly loaded into a semi-internal box magazine, self-contained within the gun. German k98 Mauser rifles operate in exactly the same way. Here is a youtube video demonstrating the basic principle:

So how does this account for the reported differences between five and six round "magainzes"? One trick that can be used on certain models of rifles and, I would assume, even on Flak guns, is to load one round into the chamber and then insert the stripper clip. This means that it would be theoretically possible to have a six round "magazine" if the gun was loaded this way before an attack. During the heat of battle, it would not be practical to manually load a single round into the chamber before inserting the five-round clip.

That is the best explanation I can come up with for our divergent sources. Unfortunately, I'm sure it would not be possible to model a six round clip for the first barrage and five round clips thereafter. I think for game purposes, the five round clip would probably be a more accurate representation of standard practice.

I cannot explain the wildly higher rates of fire reported in some sources except to agree that these sources probably confused the M42 with the 3.7 cm Flak M43 Gerät 341. This is what Skwiot says about it: "One advantage of this design was a significant increase in the automation of the firing process, thus increasing the rate of fire. The ammunition was loaded in eight-round magazines" (p. 343). I think the larger magazine size and the unspecified increase in "automation" account for these differences in the reported rates of fire.

What do you think?

Quote:
one last topic we have discussed a few days ago:
8.8 and 10.5cm deck gun rate of fire:

SUMMING UP

several sources suggest that the 15 rpm rate of fire we had initially assumed for 8.8cm deckgun, could have been its average performance, and that under favourable condition an higher RoF could have been obtained. Nonetheless, I am also aware that ideal conditions rarely occurred during U-boat war patrols, due to a bunch of reasons including undertrained crews, fatigue, harsh sea conditions. etc. I am therefore a bit reluctant to accept the maximum RoF suggested by Admiralty reports of 18 rpm. On the other hand, the same source seem to stress that the 15 rpm figure reported for the 10.5cm gun was its absolute maximum, though no average RoF is given. Keeping the same proportionality shown by 8.8cm's RoF's, we can nonetheless guestimate:

15*15/18 = 12.5 rpm

This lower rate of fire could account for the heavier shell fired. So, if you accept my rasoning RoF's for 8.8 and 10.5cm deckguns, could be respectively 15 and 12.5.
Indeed, in-game reload times are affected by crew veterancy levels. We should check our settings in game, but the figures I am suggesting seem to me a good starting base. Do you agree?
It turns out I was totally wrong! Skwiot gives an even higher rate of fire than I remembered for the 8.8 cm: 15-20 rpm (p. 253). For the 10.5 cm gun, he gives a maximum rate of fire of 15 rpm. Sorry for the confusion... I must have hallucinated those imaginary figures

I agree that these numbers should be the maximum rate of fire for the deck gun, based on crew experience and, if possible, weather conditions.
Old 03-14-13, 01:12 AM   #710
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
The mysterious SH5 player has returned Skwiot's book, but unfortunately he has nothing to add about the Vierling's tracking speed. He describes the mount in great technical detail but doesn't mention how well it functioned.
It turned out that, besides being untimely, our secret SH5 fan is also uninformed. I only hope that he made a better use of Skwiot's book than employing it as a paper older

Quote:
After consulting Skwiot, I think I finally understand the M42...
It makes sense. Thank you for the detailed explanation!

Quote:
That is the best explanation I can come up with for our divergent sources. Unfortunately, I'm sure it would not be possible to model a six round clip for the first barrage and five round clips thereafter. I think for game purposes, the five round clip would probably be a more accurate representation of standard practice.
You are right, the clip can be either of 5 or 6 rounds.

Quote:
I cannot explain the wildly higher rates of fire reported in some sources except to agree that these sources probably confused the M42 with the 3.7 cm Flak M43 Gerät 341. This is what Skwiot says about it: "One advantage of this design was a significant increase in the automation of the firing process, thus increasing the rate of fire. The ammunition was loaded in eight-round magazines" (p. 343). I think the larger magazine size and the unspecified increase in "automation" account for these differences in the reported rates of fire.

What do you think?
My opinion in numbers:

cyclic RoF: 170 rpm
practical RoF: 60 rpm
clip size: 5 rounds
reload time: 3.235 sec

do you like them?

Quote:
It turns out I was totally wrong! Skwiot gives an even higher rate of fire than I remembered for the 8.8 cm: 15-20 rpm (p. 253). For the 10.5 cm gun, he gives a maximum rate of fire of 15 rpm. Sorry for the confusion... I must have hallucinated those imaginary figures

I agree that these numbers should be the maximum rate of fire for the deck gun, based on crew experience and, if possible, weather conditions.
Don't quote me on this, but I think that sea conditions are not taken in other account than for making guns' use impossible on high waves. But crew experience (and possibly their morale) is considered.
Just yesterday I have had a discussion with Webster on this topic; from my tests, I am almost sure that FlaK gun reload times (as set in their sim files) are the base times relative to best trained crew memebers. For lesser experienced gunners a percent extra time is added to this base time. A few weeks ago I tried finding the extra reload coefficients within game files, but to not avail...

More specifically about deck guns, I am not sure that their reload times are applied the same way as with FlaKs: Webster was convinced that they work the other way around (i.e. sim file settings are decremented by a percent for experienced crew, rather than being incremented for unexperienced ones). Another obscure point is wether deck gun's recoil time is added to the reload time, or not considered (i.e. gunners start reloading the gun while it is still recoiling). From stock settings, I am sure that when they calculated their settings, devs didn't take recoil times into account, but I ignore if they made it by mistake or for a reason.

Hopefully, we can solve the above doubts in custom mission, stopwatch close by hand; however, for a start, I lean towards decreasing the maximum reload times reported by you by 20%, i.e: 12 rpm for the 10.5cm deck gun, and 16 for the 8.8cm gun. This is accounting for climatic factors which are not considered by the game. What do you think?
Old 03-14-13, 08:25 AM   #711
keysersoze
Ensign

Quote:
It turned out that, besides being untimely, our secret SH5 fan is also uninformed. I only hope that he made a better use of Skwiot's book than employing it as a paper older

Quote:
do you like them?

Quote:
Don't quote me on this, but I think that sea conditions are not taken in other account than for making guns' use impossible on high waves. But crew experience (and possibly their morale) is considered.
Thanks for the information. Do you know, by any chance, whether planes have similar weather restrictions? Can they fly in bad weather?

Quote:
More specifically about deck guns, I am not sure that their reload times are applied the same way as with FlaKs: Webster was convinced that they work the other way around (i.e. sim file settings are decremented by a percent for experienced crew, rather than being incremented for unexperienced ones). Another obscure point is wether deck gun's recoil time is added to the reload time, or not considered (i.e. gunners start reloading the gun while it is still recoiling). From stock settings, I am sure that when they calculated their settings, devs didn't take recoil times into account, but I ignore if they made it by mistake or for a reason.

Hopefully, we can solve the above doubts in custom mission, stopwatch close by hand; however, for a start, I lean towards decreasing the maximum reload times reported by you by 20%, i.e: 12 rpm for the 10.5cm deck gun, and 16 for the 8.8cm gun. This is accounting for climatic factors which are not considered by the game. What do you think?
It's strange that the deck gun experience controllers work in exactly the opposite manner as the flak guns. You're probably right about recoil ties not being taken into account, but, as you said, we can solve all these problems with a stopwatch

I think 12 rpm for the 10.5cm and 16 for the 8.8cm would be an acceptable maximum for a highly experienced crew. I have a hard time imagining a crew could fire much faster than that in average Atlantic weather conditions.
Old 03-14-13, 09:56 AM   #712
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Thanks for the information. Do you know, by any chance, whether planes have similar weather restrictions? Can they fly in bad weather?
They should not, but ask Trevally on it

Quote:
It's strange that the deck gun experience controllers work in exactly the opposite manner as the flak guns.
Yes, I would be also surprised of it. But Webster gave me some doubts yesterday...

Quote:
You're probably right about recoil ties not being taken into account, but, as you said, we can solve all these problems with a stopwatch
I am going to test it right away, by giving the deck gun an unusually long recoil time...

Quote:
I think 12 rpm for the 10.5cm and 16 for the 8.8cm would be an acceptable maximum for a highly experienced crew. I have a hard time imagining a crew could fire much faster than that in average Atlantic weather conditions.
Old 03-14-13, 10:04 AM   #713
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

Seems like the part of Global Weapons mod, I mean Reworked Sub Guns, will never released..
First tests I have done more than two months ago..
Is it so important: reload time - 3.525 sec or reload time - 3.435 sec?

Community is still waiting..
me too.. I am also waiting for when I can finally begin my part of our work..

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-13, 10:31 AM   #714
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post
Seems like the part of Global Weapons mod, I mean Reworked Sub Guns, will never released..
First tests I have done more than two months ago..
Is it so important: reload time - 3.525 sec or reload time - 3.435 sec?

Community is still waiting..
me too.. I am also waiting for when I can finally begin my part of our work..
Ask Sailor Steve on it

I hope to send you my files today. And yes I am sort of perfectionism maniac
I only hope the results will be worth all the effort we have put in this mod.
Old 03-14-13, 10:37 AM   #715
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 225

Quote:
Ask Sailor Steve on it

all the work you guys have done - is amazing. And, I believe I can say this for most of the subsimmers, you have our huge respect for it!
Targor Avelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-13, 10:40 AM   #716
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Ask Sailor Steve on it
on what?

Quote:
I don't need files.. just tell me the numbers

Quote:
I was plagued by vague doubts

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
Old 03-14-13, 10:43 AM   #717
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 225

Quote:
on what?
cookies and milk
Targor Avelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-13, 11:30 AM   #718
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
on what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targor Avelany View Post
cookies and milk
...which are the tacit subject of this thread, by the way. Thank you Targor for making it clear

Quote:
I don't need files.. just tell me the numbers
okay

Quote:
I was plagued by vague doubts
Dunno why, but I had started suspecting it

As I told you a few days ago, nothing matters and everything matters; it all depends on what everyone is considering important. Given the name of this thread, I thought that adjusting gun settings to reflect as close as possible their historical specs, wasn't a pointless exercise after all, lol.

I will admit that some of the changes we have discussed with keysersoze are quite subtle, but in general I am sure you will notice how much our researches will practically affect gun's effectiveness. Drastically in some cases. Trust me at least this time
Old 03-14-13, 12:21 PM   #719
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
You're probably right about recoil ties not being taken into account, but, as you said, we can solve all these problems with a stopwatch
Quote:
I am going to test it right away, by giving the deck gun an unusually long recoil time...
Just tested: recoil time is applied in game as expected (i.e. it gets added to cannon's reload time), though stock settings seem to disregard its effect on practical rate of fire
Old 03-14-13, 12:22 PM   #720
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
I will admit that some of the changes we have discussed with keysersoze are quite subtle, but in general I am sure you will notice how much our researches will practically affect gun's effectiveness.
I will try to see this during my practical exercises.. I promise..

Quote:
Drastically in some cases. Trust me at least this time
I always trust you, compare