Old 11-08-14, 12:01 PM   #706
donna52522
Lady Mariner

Downloads: 225
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Just...just one last thing.

Humanity is...well, it's not particularly easy to kill it off. A disease wouldn't kill all humanity off because there would be random survivors or people immune to it, communities would isolate themselves, kill anyone approaching on sight, and so on.
A nuclear exchange wouldn't kill humanity off because there aren't enough nuclear weapons in the world to hit every human settlement, and the average nuclear weapon isn't powerful enough to destroy a city on its own. If a terrorist detonated a Hiroshima style nuke in London next to the Shard (since the HoP would be too well guarded) then the actual blast radius wouldn't even reach Westminster. It would kill about fifty thousand people and make a big mess of central London (and the fallout would cause more deaths over time) but there are 8 million people in London so in comparison...
Here, have a play with this:
http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/
Remember to set it to ground burst, because unless the terrorists detonate the nuke on a light aircraft or something then the detonation would be at ground level.

So...asteroid impact?
That would be pretty devastating, depending on the size of the rock, it could have a similar impact as a large scale nuclear exchange, massive electromagnetic pulse, dirt and debris in the atmosphere, potential for global cooling...but unless it's the size of a small moon, people on the other side of the planet would still be alive. They would struggle because of the potential for crop failure, and the average human population would go from the billions, to millions and eventually thousands...but it wouldn't go completely.

The biggest threat really is the loss of our current level of technology and social achievements, we would regress back to a sort of feudal or pre-feudal level of society (which would delight certain people, I'm sure) and there would be a LOT of people who would be unable to cope with this, they will die off, but for every...say four or five people who can't cope, there will be one who gets by, maybe doesn't excell, but he or she gets by enough to survive...and then perhaps they will find someone of the opposite sex and have children...of course, most of those children will die, but if a couple survive and they go on to meet other survivors...and so on and so forth.

Sure, there are ways and means to eliminate humanity, and perhaps it's not as difficult as I make out...a decently evolved virus would do the job...but it would have to be a slow burner, unlike Ebola, to spread quickly enough...but eventually humanity would figure out what's happening, and the government types would go into the bunker and ride it out, and odd groups of survivors would take steps to isolate themselves from the disease. Madagascar would shut down everything (TM).

The Dinosaurs went extinct...yes...but in comparison to humanity they were....well, at the risk of sounding arrogant, they were stupid. They didn't build bunkers, they didn't take steps to quarantine each other, they had no defences against a rapid change of their situation.
We do, not all of us would survive, perhaps not even ten percent of the population...but some would, and then they would repopulate.

Not that we're invincible...but we're probably a bit tougher than the dinosaurs were.

Probably.
You wonder why people leave this site or do not post, it's mostly because they are sick of or do not want to be ridiculed for posting there opinion. This is my last post on this entire site, I'll be here for the mods only and if I have questions I will send a private to someone I like.

Thank you Oberon for making Subsim an uncomfortable place.
Old 11-08-14, 12:10 PM   #707
Garion
Commander

Downloads: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
The seeds of wrath have been sown here now. All we need is gays and Muslims to round it out and sink it. Where's that deathmatch topic I started......
I was taking to Mustapha Mahn a gay Muslim friend of mine about this, he is also schizophrenic so was in two minds about it...

I'll get my coat.

Cheers

Gary
Garion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 12:15 PM   #708
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garion View Post
I was taking to Mustapha Mahn a gay Muslim friend of mine about this, he is also schizophrenic so was in two minds about it...

I'll get my coat.

Cheers

Gary
You're friends with Barack Obama ???
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 01:12 PM   #709
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna52522 View Post
You wonder why people leave this site or do not post, it's mostly because they are sick of or do not want to be ridiculed for posting there opinion. This is my last post on this entire site, I'll be here for the mods only and if I have questions I will send a private to someone I like.

I simply don't get it. What was so terrible you feel the need to leave? Do you know GT would be so boring no one would bother if everyone agreed with everyone else. It seemed global warming has had the effect of making everyone thin skinned.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 01:29 PM   #710
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:

Um....ok?

Well...bye then.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 01:32 PM   #711
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
I simply don't get it. What was so terrible you feel the need to leave? Do you know GT would be so boring no one would bother if everyone agreed with everyone else. It seemed global warming has had the effect of making everyone thin skinned.
I wasn't aware I was ridiculing, just posting what I thought was a counterpoint based upon what I believe, and I admitted myself that there is still the open possibility of us being destroyed by a pandemic.
So I didn't directly say she was wrong, nor did I say that I was right, just that I thought there was more to it.

Oh well, I guess that's that reasonphobia of mine again.
Old 11-08-14, 01:46 PM   #712
Dread Knot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post

Oh well, I guess that's that reasonphobia of mine again.
Might be more a case of her Peter Falkaphobia. Fear of that one more thing coming.....

Last edited by Dread Knot; 11-08-14 at 01:57 PM.
Dread Knot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 02:15 PM   #713
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Quote:

You know what they say about the "Bilge" Donna....You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave....

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 04:59 PM   #714
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
I don't get it either. I've re-read Oberon's post three times trying to see what could possibly be the problem. I don't see it.

Time to lighten up?

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 05:05 PM   #715
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26

donna is being sarcastic ??
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 05:09 PM   #716
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

I don't see it either....let me go check with my better half...just for perspective!...& enlightenment!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 05:27 PM   #717
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
I don't see it either....let me go check with my better half...just for perspective!...& enlightenment!
Selfie Aktung? No more lee press on nails for you!
Old 11-08-14, 05:39 PM   #718
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
I think this sums it up nicely
This is it in a nutshell.

Why is there even a discussion??

Oh that's right.... politics.

That's why the media (well, some of them) is going away from the "fair and balanced" model of reporting, where they give equal weight to both sides of an issue. Most issues don't have equal sides, and there's little reason to give any thought to anything but clear scientific majorities, in situations that exists. Like this one.

And don't give me the 'everybody thought the earth was flat' argument. Yes they THOUGHT it, but until somebody actually started doing scientific research on it, there was no proof of it.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 06:13 PM   #719
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betonov View Post
donna is being sarcastic ??
If that's the case, and I hope it is......well played.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 07:07 PM   #720
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
If that's the case, and I hope it is......well played.
I hope that is the case...it wouldn't be the first time someone has caught me out with that.

Tags
climate, climate change, drought, global warming, hurricanes