Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-20, 11:26 AM   #7051
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 12-13-20, 06:26 PM   #7052
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

^^^ Burnt toast

^ We had Blowin free a few weeks ago here, had not heard it for decades, really great
Another live version

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 12-13-20, 10:54 PM   #7053
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 58

World's first music video???

@ Catfish...glad you liked it. Apparently it's got a lot of clever references to other operas in it.

There's one called "Toothpaste" in the series. A domestic "tiff" with quite a bit of "language".

Old 12-14-20, 09:47 AM   #7054
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 12-14-20, 01:41 PM   #7055
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 12-14-20, 04:35 PM   #7056
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Many years ago, I read an article in a guitar magazine about Keith Richards in which another famed guitarist commented on how you could give Keith any guitar, even a cheap Japanese guitar, and how, in just a few minutes, Keith could master the guitar's idiosyncrasies and make it have the "Keith Richards Sound"; Kieth is even quoted as saying "give me five minutes and I'll make 'em all sound the same"...

To me, it is a prime measure of a great guitarist, or any musician, for that matter, who can achieve his art more from his own skill than from the tools he uses; let's face it guitarists like The Edge, Andy Summers, Vai, etc., would be hard pressed to be as impressive without their tricked out rigs, but others, like Richards, Chuck Berry, a whole slew of Blues greats and not a few guitarist in other genres could make a budget-priced guitar sound like a top-line model with relative ease; its not really in the axe, its in the fingers and the feel and the ear...

I came across this clip of SRV sitting in and jamming with Bernard Allison, the son of the late, great Luther Allison; SRV knew Luther and jammed with him and, in this clip, SRV is playing a borrowed Fender Squier Stratocaster through one of Bernard's amps, a far cry for SRV's usual carefully set up rig; even with a cheap borrowed guitar and a bare bones rig, SRV is quick to find and establish the "SRV Sound"; the talent is in the player, not in what it is being played on...

Re: Squier Strats...

When Fender first introduced the Squier Strat line, it was Fender's effort to put a dent into the Strat copy market, which was sucking away sales form the official Strat sales; the first ones were introduced in the late 80s and were made in Japan, and were very much looked down upon by guitar snobs and purists; there was a music store here in Hollywood which catered primarily to the pro and studio musicians and I would go in there every once in a while and see what was new; I walked in one day and saw a Fender Squier Strat on one of the racks, sort of hidden away apart from the pricier USA Strats and I noticed it has a really low price tag, even for a Squier; I picked it up and found it to be an excellent guitar, impressively built and very substantial and solid; the body was heavy ash and the fretwork and other workmanship was also excellent; I bought it immediately, on the spot, and, whien I took it to one of the sales people to ring it up, he sort of sneered and got snarky about anyone wanting to buy a Squer; I let him finish the sale and I asked him if he had actually tried to play the guitar he had just sold me; he said he hadn't, so I asked him to give it a try before I left the store; he plugged it in, fired it up and was blown away by what a good guitar that Squier actually was; I sensed a bit of regret in his manner as he realized I was walking out of the store with a vastly under-priced guitar...

I had that Squier for many years and other players who tried it out were equally impressed, with some offering to trade "better", more expensive guitars for my Squier, but I never let go of it; it was eventually severely damaged in an accident and I still miss that old, cheap guitar; over the intervening decades, the Squier line of guitars has gained a bit more respect among pro players and can often be seen in the hands of chart topping, influential players...

<O>

Last edited by vienna; 12-14-20 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-14-20, 05:44 PM   #7057
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Old 12-15-20, 09:55 AM   #7058
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 12-15-20, 12:31 PM   #7059
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

It's so great to see you back in the forum, Vienna. I for one missed your musical breakdowns and analysis on equipment and musical artists.
Your analysis of Fender Squier Stratocastors is spot on. I know a great number of guitarists that purchased Squier Strocastors and used them as a basis for extensive modifications like putting humbucking dual pickups in the body and routing the body for a Floyd Rose bridge / tremolo system. The only difference is the Squiers were not built of Ash or Alder wood but rather of Basswood. I came across a rarity some years ago, An American made Fender Squir Stratocastor and immediately bought it. It plays as well as my American Standard and Strat Plus and Strat Ultra guitars.

I still think you get more bang for the buck with an Ibanez or ESP " Super Strat " electric guitar, though.

With regards to Stevie Ray Vaughan, He is still sorely missed many years after his passing.

Old 12-15-20, 01:42 PM   #7060
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 12-15-20, 02:07 PM   #7061
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Dig these crazy bongos...

Old 12-15-20, 11:05 PM   #7062
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Gilda Tabarez is a Master film editor with a good ear for music.

And here does justice to Gustav Holst's "Saturn - The bringer of Old Age" from his "Planets" suite.

For us oldies.

Old 12-16-20, 08:02 AM   #7063
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 12-16-20, 10:50 AM   #7064
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 12-16-20, 11:40 AM   #7065
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

<O>

Tags
music