SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-25-10, 06:36 PM   #676
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Finally reading Timothy Mulligan's Neither Sharks Nor Wolves all the way through - I've read portions of it and flipped through it as a reference but am about halfway done with getting through all of it at once.

Had to work today (ugh) and ran some errands afterwards - was hoping to keep it a short day out and get home quickly but decided to stop by a Half Price Books that I was passing near to on my way home from somewhere I actually had to go.

So, you know, so much for getting home quickly.

But I got a brand new copy of Victory At Sea, the whole documentary, on DVD. Never seen it so I hope to start watching this weekend if I can find the time for it. Also got what looks like a compare/contrast dual bio of Patton and Rommel, and a book about America's part in the Battle of the Atlantic... also the BoA volume of the WWII series from Time-Life Books. Only $4, I would have bought more volumes but they didn't appear to have the whole set otherwise I might have gone for it. What they did have were all just $4 apiece.

Instead I sprung for a boxed set of the 3-volume West Point Military History of the Second World War. It has one volume each for the ETO and PTO, no idea how "readable" it will be but I expect it will be a pretty thorough overview. BUT BUT BUT OMG the third volume is a military campaign atlas, I mean page after page of wonderfully detailed maps! If you knew how much I love maps you would understand that this is what sold me on it, lol. Will no doubt come in very handy when I'm reading other things that don't provide as much visual accompaniment in that respect.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-10, 10:36 AM   #677
The Third Man
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

At Dawn We Slept: The Untold Story of Pearl Harbor,
Gordon W. Prange.

'A powerfully written and dramatic account of both the Japanese and American sides of the events leading up to and including the attack on Pearl Harbor, with emphasis on the character and behavior of the naval officers'. - Gaddis Smith, Spring 1982

I picked it up for 99 cents at the Goodwill store last evening. I have always wanted to read this book and @ the price I figured now was the time.
Old 10-02-10, 03:43 PM   #678
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Operation Barbarossa - Strategy and Tactics on the Eastern Front 1941

By Bryan I. Fugate

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!

Last edited by STEED; 10-02-10 at 03:56 PM.
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-10, 08:27 AM   #679
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
Red Army Tank Commanders: The Armored Guards

The book looks at the six longest serving Soviet commanders who rose to lead six Guards Tank Armies.
The most interesting part, for me, is in Leyushenko's (IIRC it was Leyushenko) section. We see the Soviet perspective on why they stuck with the very vulnerable looking "skirmish line" (in Russian: chain) formation in their infantry squads for so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane View Post
Patrich Robinson Books. Bestselling Author of Nimitz Class.

Found them at Local Library. I think I have read the last one at our Local
Libary. Just almost done with U.S.S SeaWolf.

Rivals the best of Tom Clancy and Dale Brown.

Lane
I tried to think "To each his own" but failed. The racism in the book makes the Bear and the Dragon look even-handed, and the author consistency makes Americans such a****** that the reader's sympathy is entirely with the other side...

Enough on commenting on other people's reports.

Personally, I'm reading another Gordon (I've been a regular buyer of Yefim Gordon for the past year or two)'s Russia Strategic Aviation. I hadn't met an Ukrainian in my life, but the sheer pettiness of how the Ukrainians handled the long-range bombers that fell into their hands makes me start to feel hate. I never had much sympathy for the Ukies when the Russkies make them actually pay for gas, and this kills what's left.
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 10:23 PM   #680
ENEMY BELOW
Swabbie

Downloads: 1
Default Reading

I'm about a third into 'scorpion Down' by Ed Ofley.
was really hoping I'd get a truer picture of what took place-and still hope to- .But I accidentaly ran accross a review of the book I wasn't strong enuff to ignore. That pretty much said it was all Blarny and imaginative B.S. almost made me quit reading but i hope to find out differently.
Just finished Mark Joseph's 'To Kill the Potemkin' with it's graphic descriptions of the last seconds of an implosion. Makes me wonder how anyone actually knows that the atmosphere ignites under the water pressure iside the sinking imploding hull. but I suppose it's straightforward physics, eh?
ENEMY BELOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-10, 03:57 AM   #681
Axeman3d
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 29

Finished reading 'Blind Mans Bluff' and now it's on to rereading 'The Hunt for Red October' on my new iPad. Sad, I know, but I got a load of EPUB books for the iPad from a friend and one of the first I came across was Clancy's classic. Still fun to read.
Axeman3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 06:25 AM   #682
STEED
Lucky Jack

Third of way in to my new book...

Barbarossa - Hitler's Invasion of Russia 1941

By David M. Glantz

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 10-31-10, 10:31 PM   #683
diesel97
Sailor man

Downloads: 327

Cruiser: The Life and Loss of HMAS Perth by Mike Carlton - Perth was lost off Java, in the same action as USS Houston, early in 1942. Well written story of a ship and it's crew.
Old 11-13-10, 03:12 PM   #684
STEED
Lucky Jack

Re-reading

Barbarossa: The Russian-German Conflict 1941-45

By Alan Clark

Old 11-15-10, 05:07 PM   #685
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Two completed of late:

Sacrifice for Stalin by David Wragg about the convoys to Russia during WW2 and the difficulties thrown in the way of the Western Allies by the Soviet bureaucracy. Bit tiresome to read in parts but interesting nonetheless. The book really sheds light onto Stalin's ingratitude for the efforts made by the Allies, particularly the RN and merchant sailors in fighting the arctic convoys through the KM's back yard.

Arsenals of Folly: The Making of the Nuclear Arms Race by Richard Rhodes. This book challenges some of the dearly held myths regarding the end of the Cold War paricularly those relating to SDI and the collapse of the Soviet Union. During research Rhodes was given so far unprecedented access to former Soviet sources particularly as they relate to two seminal events, the Reagan/Gorbachev summit at Rekyavik and the impact of disaster at Chernobyl. A fine companion to his The Making of the Atomic Bomb and Dark Sun: The Making of the Hydrogen Bomb and worth a look by anybody interested in the politics of nuclear weapons.
Old 11-17-10, 06:26 AM   #686
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Hitler's Henchmen by Guido Knopp

HunterICX
Old 11-18-10, 01:31 AM   #687
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
Downloads: 22

Done with Clive Cussler's Black Wind.

Next on the list is either 1632, by Eric Flint or Red Storm Rising, by Tom Clancy. I read the latter half-way and stopped, but I intend on reading it all over again from the start.

Last edited by Kaye T. Bai; 11-26-10 at 07:56 AM.
Kaye T. Bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 11:08 AM   #688
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

They Arrived by Moonlight, Captain Jacques Doneux. SOE wireless operator in Belgium and escape back to Blighty the long way round. Only 25 pages to go, will he make it?

Just arrived at my local library for me to collect is Lawrence Paterson's U-Boat Combat Missions
Old 12-08-10, 10:21 PM   #689
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Finally reading Wolfgang Ott's "Sharks And Little Fish" and loving it, really good.

Thinking about springing for the movie as well since it's available at a fairly reasonable price considering that it's not exactly a "hot" item.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 12:16 AM   #690
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

3 things:

1) Blair's Uboat War. Many thanks to all for the recommendation. Really smooth read for, basically, a history book. Very enjoyable.

2) Brag's Kingmaker. Enjoyable read so far. Would be done with it, but Blair has my attention this hour :P

3) Laughing Swordfish's u-46 Saga in the SH3 thread. Another good read.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books