SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-30-12, 07:07 AM   #661
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Thank you very much TDW

on a side note: did you manage to understand why your previous version of sub on bottom patch was causing a performance hit?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-12, 09:00 AM   #662
Burstar
Watch

Downloads: 155
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
v1.0.47.0 released. See post #1
Wow! Thanks again man
Old 07-30-12, 09:37 AM   #663
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Thank you very much TDW

on a side note: did you manage to understand why your previous version of sub on bottom patch was causing a performance hit?
It appears that what I did before allowed the AI units to exceed the max depth for their given location which caused the collision routine to be called continuously which caused the event routine to be fired continuously. Multiply that by x units exceeding max depth and it could bog down not so powerful systems (I never experienced the problem).
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-12, 09:43 AM   #664
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

I'm feeling very ambitious and already started working on my next patch: AI crew damage control. This irks me also about the game: an AI unit takes damage and they don't invoke any damage control to minimize the damage. This is not right. No one in their right mind would let their ship just sit and burn and flood and eventually sink into the abyss. I'm in the planning stages of this patch currently

There are many things I have to 'find' first. I have to figure out the memory structure of a unit so I can read it's type, depth, speed, etc. I already know how to get to the zones (boxes) of the unit so that part is good. I know how to invoke a random number generator in SHCollisions so that part is covered. Need to find the frame rendering time so that I can count time...
Old 07-30-12, 09:47 AM   #665
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 155

Super !

"Better watch where you do not go, because where were going, we will know what it is when we get there, and anyway, it will never be only water."

Proverbe Shadok
BIGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-12, 10:04 AM   #666
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
I'm feeling very ambitious and already started working on my next patch: AI crew damage control. This irks me also about the game: an AI unit takes damage and they don't invoke any damage control to minimize the damage. This is not right. No one in their right mind would let their ship just sit and burn and flood and eventually sink into the abyss. I'm in the planning stages of this patch currently

There are many things I have to 'find' first. I have to figure out the memory structure of a unit so I can read it's type, depth, speed, etc. I already know how to get to the zones (boxes) of the unit so that part is good. I know how to invoke a random number generator in SHCollisions so that part is covered. Need to find the frame rendering time so that I can count time...
In a nut shell, after allowing wild fires to sweep on the whole ship, and shells to damage several compartments, you are now providing crews with fire extinguishers, patches, spanners and welding machines

That's insane TDW, and you know it!

PS: is there a way to connect unit's speed with flooding rates, i.e. the faster ship's speed, the more water it will take on?
Old 07-30-12, 10:22 AM   #667
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
In a nut shell, after allowing wild fires to sweep on the whole ship, and shells to damage several compartments, you are now providing crews with fire extinguishers, patches, spanners and welding machines

That's insane TDW, and you know it!

PS: is there a way to connect unit's speed with flooding rates, i.e. the faster ship's speed, the more water it will take on?
You don't like my AI crew damage control idea? I think it's a great idea! How cool would it be to see a burning ship and some minutes later see one of the fires extinguished? Or better yet see the unit stop increasing in list because the AI crew patched or minimized the hole that was causing flooding? Would give new meaning to the word simulator...

That's an idea I'm toying with in the back of my mind. I just located the code that iterates over all the unit's zones (boxes) last weekend. I now have to sit down and decode the memory structure for these zones (where the critical floatation value resides, where the zone's current HPs resides, etc.) and I have to find the code that calculates and updates the flooding 'level' for that zone (box). Once I find all the key elements then it a simple (relatively) matter of writing new code to use those elements in a way to increase fllooding based on speed
Old 07-30-12, 10:35 AM   #668
NONONO
Seaman

Downloads: 366

Quote:
You don't like my AI crew damage control idea? I think it's a great idea! How cool would it be to see a burning ship and some minutes later see one of the fires extinguished? Or better yet see the unit stop increasing in list because the AI crew patched or minimized the hole that was causing flooding? Would give new meaning to the word simulator...

That's an idea I'm toying with in the back of my mind. I just located the code that iterates over all the unit's zones (boxes) last weekend. I now have to sit down and decode the memory structure for these zones (where the critical floatation value resides, where the zone's current HPs resides, etc.) and I have to find the code that calculates and updates the flooding 'level' for that zone (box). Once I find all the key elements then it a simple (relatively) matter of writing new code to use those elements in a way to increase fllooding based on speed
looking forward, it will really fight for survival boat, just like the movie Das Boot or real life and will be in the game.keep up the good work
NONONO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-12, 10:59 AM   #669
Sartoris
Captain

Downloads: 106

Love the new idea, TDW!

I wonder if one day you will discover a way to bring back crew management in some form... I certainly hope so!
Sartoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-12, 11:08 AM   #670
0rpheus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 3

Quote:
It appears that what I did before allowed the AI units to exceed the max depth for their given location which caused the collision routine to be called continuously which caused the event routine to be fired continuously. Multiply that by x units exceeding max depth and it could bog down not so powerful systems (I never experienced the problem).
Aha, good you figured it out! You must be running a monster machine not to notice!
0rpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-12, 11:25 AM   #671
Haukka81
Medic

Downloads: 368

TDW, can you make something to this : http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=197296 or it is just config file edit

Way more important broblem than rest (imho)
Haukka81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-12, 11:30 AM   #672
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukka81 View Post
TDW, can you make something to this : http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=197296 or it is just config file edit

Way more important broblem than rest (imho)
You need to play with the Visual settings in data\cfg\Sensors.cfg:

;Visual.
Visual range factor=0.5 ;[>=0]
Visual fog factor=1 ;[>=0]
Visual light factor=1 ;[>=0]
Visual waves factor=0.8 ;[>=0]
Visual speed factor=0 ;[>=0]
Visual aspect=0.9 ;[>=0]
Visual enemy speed=0.2 ;[>=0]
Visual noise factor=0 ;[>=0]
Visual sensor height factor=0.5 ;[>=0]
Visual already tracking modifier=600 ;[detection probability modifier], most accurate, once a contact is detected it will lose it very hard
Visual decay time=250 ;[>0] already tracking bonus decay, in seconds
Visual uses crew efficiency=false ;[true or false]

Those highlighted in bold you should experiment with. To be honest I don't know what happens when you increase/decrease each value (I don't know the impact it has - does it make it more sensitive or less sensitive?) Experiment and let us know
Old 07-30-12, 11:32 AM   #673
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rpheus View Post
Aha, good you figured it out! You must be running a monster machine not to notice!
It's a custom build based on an AMD X6 1100T

How's the new collateral damage patch working? Is it too aggressive or not aggressive enough? Do I need to increase the % chance for collateral damage? Or do I need to keep the % chance the same but change the amount of damage inflicted (more or less)?
Old 07-30-12, 11:34 AM   #674
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Quote:
v1.0.47.0 released. See post #1

Old 07-30-12, 12:10 PM   #675
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
You don't like my AI crew damage control idea?
Quite the reverse, I love it... insanely!