SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-27-06, 02:54 AM   #661
Deathblow
Captain

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

So from what I understand about Aegis, is that in RL it coordinate missile volleys amongst all ships in the link. But.... and this is just from the scenario that I've been testing, looks like in the game currently is that each Aegis ship is really shooting one SM-2 independently to intercept each incoming missile. Put 2 or 3 Aegis ships together and they will increase, or even top off the number of SM-2s per attacking missile, ewhich increase the success rates... so coincidentially they are accidently mimicking real Aegis strategy.

But put a ship alone, where it should be launching 2-3 SM-2 per attacking missile (because it no longer has backup from other Aegis), its still using only 1 missile instead. Using 2 ships together this behavior isn't a problem, but a solo ship isn't compensating.

All that being said, trying to program a behavior that both responds appropriately to solo defense as well as can coordinate amonst a group effort would be..... an absolute nightmare and probably not worth it.

Oh well

db

ps) want me to send you the mission setup I've been using to test the behavior?
Deathblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-06, 04:11 AM   #662
Mau
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 3

I thought the Mod was better now in that regards.
I thought the Aegis were more agressive now
Luftwolf?
Mau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-06, 06:35 AM   #663
Deathblow
Captain

Oh, there's no doubt that its much much much better, just looking for ways to make it even better.
Old 04-28-06, 12:49 AM   #664
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

Deathblow, actually you are wrong... missiles are shared across the link and the sim intelligently hands off targets to individual ships, reserving some ships for backup salvos on vampires missed by the first salvo of the first ship.

Why do you always assume something is wrong when you haven't done the legwork?

Trust me, when you take the mind to fix things, there is no joy in finding new things that need to be fixed.

***It's patently not possible to reference the state of one object in the sim using doctrines unless that object is a target***

So coordinating between ships is not a doctrine/moddable problem.
Old 04-29-06, 01:04 AM   #665
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Ok, I have fixed the salvo problem with the CIWSattack doctrine, thanks for pointing this out DB, I have looked at this countless times and not noticed a problem.
Old 05-08-06, 07:36 PM   #666
Deathblow
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuftWolf
Ok, I have fixed the salvo problem with the CIWSattack doctrine, thanks for pointing this out DB, I have looked at this countless times and not noticed a problem.
Glad i could help. I tend to not mention a behavior until after I've witnessed it, setup test scenarios to test it, and then try to figure out some initial doctrine/database fixes initially (for my own personal tweaks). If the problem doesn't lend itself to any discernable cause or initial solutions then I usually drop a post or two with observations, looking for ideas.

Not that the Aegis modeling wasn't already adequate, the SM2 weapon effectiveness could always be tweaked as a bottom line, just thought that since we were trying to refine AI behavior and decision making it was worth mentioning. I got kindof fixated on surface platform behavior after trying to create a few CVBG and joint task for scenarios where the AI wasn't really behaving ideally.
Old 05-09-06, 04:28 PM   #667
Deathblow
Captain

Here's a question. Anyone know what "Affected by ground noise" in the DBEditor Sensor Window means? Ground noise?

I doubt that DW is simulatedly seismic events!
Old 05-09-06, 04:49 PM   #668
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

I'm pretty sure that refers to sea state.
Old 05-09-06, 05:14 PM   #669
Deathblow
Captain

Interesting... :hmm: ... there's already a "affected by sea state" option on the sensor dialog, so "affected by ground noise" would represent another, different, aspect of sea states...... I wonder...

... what if it refers to how close a sensor is to the bottom of the ocean... like reverberation effects or ground scatter of sound and the like... if it is, it may represent a way to model the in the increased diffulculty of the littoral sonar envrionment...

... I've been reading sonar in littoral waters can be very different and even weapons like the Mk48 have a terrible times in littoral environments because the sonar picture is more confusing, with more ground scattering, bottom bounce, etc than sensors can compensate for...

... but those are just wild guessing... it might be worthwhile to setup some test scenarios to see how "ground state" effects sensor performance... could be interesting.
Old 05-09-06, 05:22 PM   #670
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

I've also learned that a lot of the database is simply redunant and actual has no effect on anything in the sim.

I'm beginning to suspect that the ECM Jammer option does nothing in the sim for example. However, there is a bitcall option in the doctrines to test for the ECM Jammer, so it could be modelled in the doctrines, and this is what I am planning to do, we'll have to see if it works.
Old 05-09-06, 06:49 PM   #671
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Deathblow, actually you are wrong... missiles are shared across the link and the sim intelligently hands off targets to individual ships, reserving some ships for backup salvos on vampires missed by the first salvo of the first ship.
Hmm I never observed that... are you sure ? I looked in here accidently and above surprised me. Are we talking about DW here ? I was sure that in DW ship missile defense is controlled by doctrines and there is no way to coordinate launches from different ships, so there is no way that game can globally coordinate ship missile defence (no if it's realised by doctrines - and it is). Every ship defends himself as Deathblow wrote, it was my impression. How did you observed what you wrote - the handing off targets to individual ships ?

P.S. Hmm, IIRC, affected by ground noise was flag for radar sensors... and meaned that low flying targets are harder to detect. for sonars there was affected by sea state. but I can be wrong and can't check this now...
don't think it's about sea bottom background, long ago I tried to enable it for active sonars and there was no difference with detecting targets laying on the bottom. It's a flag for radars most probably... and it's enabled for search radars.

P.S.2. Luftwolf, have you figured maybe what CM type sensors are for ?? They seems to be not used by anything, especially by CM objects... ? Or maybe they are, just it's not show up in Ludger's editor...?
Amizaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 06:55 PM   #672
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathblow
Here's a question. Anyone know what "Affected by ground noise" in the DBEditor Sensor Window means? Ground noise?

Actually, the DW software was originally written to record seismic events. When it gets confused, it sorta "runs home to momma."
Old 05-09-06, 07:25 PM   #673
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amizaur
Quote:
Hmm I never observed that... are you sure ? I looked in here accidently and above surprised me. Are we talking about DW here ? I was sure that in DW ship missile defense is controlled by doctrines and there is no way to coordinate launches from different ships, so there is no way that game can globally coordinate ship missile defence (no if it's realised by doctrines - and it is). Every ship defends himself as Deathblow wrote, it was my impression. How did you observed what you wrote - the handing off targets to individual ships ?
The sim limits the total number of weapons in the air at any given time from one side against a single platform/weapon. I believe the total number of weapons is four, so a single missile will never have more than four missiles trying to intercept it at any given point, even if doctrines order two ships to fire four missiles each. This is why SSGN's have to be set on different sides in order to attack surface ships in groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amizaur
P.S.2. Luftwolf, have you figured maybe what CM type sensors are for ?? They seems to be not used by anything, especially by CM objects... ? Or maybe they are, just it's not show up in Ludger's editor...?
It seems likely that these are holdovers from FC or SC. There are a few other clear examples, but I can't remember them at the moment.
Old 05-09-06, 07:42 PM   #674
Deathblow
Captain

Quote:
The sim limits the total number of weapons in the air at any given time from one side against a single platform/weapon. I believe the total number of weapons is four, so a single missile will never have more than four missiles trying to intercept it at any given point, even if doctrines order two ships to fire four missiles each. This is why SSGN's have to be set on different sides in order to attack surface ships in groups.
I'm not 100% sure about that as well. I've found that if you change the "AttackBest" in the CIWSATTACK doctrine to "FIREBEST" then you will see a ridiculous number of missiles go airborne at one target, with the only limit the "max number of rounds guideable" in the launcher dialog. Its a pretty funny firework display with 6-8 missiles being fired at each and every ASM.

Maybe there is some other effect determining missile limits... I know that this came up in the SSGN design.... if 5 SSGN were given attack orders did only 4 shoot?... it might have something to do with the AttackBest logic with isn't amenable to modding atm.
Old 05-09-06, 07:43 PM   #675
Deathblow
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathblow

Actually, the DW software was originally written to record seismic events. When it gets confused, it sorta "runs home to momma."
hehe classic. Set myself up for that one