SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-05-13, 07:52 AM   #6661
keithf
Kite

Downloads: 106
Uploads: 0
Default The fog is clearing slowly

Thanks for that advice. Much appreciated.
There's more......
1. What about the LOCK button..... does that just lock the periscope view on the target?
2. Is GWX critical on opening and closing the tube bow caps? Will the torpedo fire if you don't open them? What if you don't close them?
3. Once the Weapons Officer has computed a firing solution, how long is it valid? Can you manoeuvre before firing?
4. Does the movement of crew members forward cause the crash dive to accelerate downwards?

Keith
keithf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-13, 08:47 AM   #6662
VONHARRIS
Konteradmiral

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithf View Post
Thanks for that advice. Much appreciated.
There's more......
1. What about the LOCK button..... does that just lock the periscope view on the target?
2. Is GWX critical on opening and closing the tube bow caps? Will the torpedo fire if you don't open them? What if you don't close them?
3. Once the Weapons Officer has computed a firing solution, how long is it valid? Can you manoeuvre before firing?
4. Does the movement of crew members forward cause the crash dive to accelerate downwards?

Keith
Here goes
1 - 3 The lock button locks on the target and the torpedo firing solution is computed at once. Once the target is locked you can move the sub but not very much , like turning it around.
That means if you lock a target at bearing 010 , you can not fire a stern tube at it.
Watch for the colored triangle on the scope : Green --> exellent conditions to fire
Yellow --> mediocore conditions
Red --> do not fire
Of course nothing of the above is valid when manual targeting is enabled.

2. You can fire with the tubes closed , they will open automatically. BUT that 2 seconds required for the tubes to be flooded will mess up the solution and the torpedo will miss.

4. No.
VONHARRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-13, 08:55 AM   #6663
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

1. Yes, and that is also the aiming point for the torpedo too.

2. The torpedo will fire but, be a second or two late firing while the door opens, which will throw the impact point off. If you open them and then do not fire, they will remain open until you do fire, or close them.

3. This I do not know, I have never used him for this function.

4. Not that I'm aware of.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-13, 09:37 AM   #6664
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithf View Post
If you are using him with Manual Targeting the solution is good for NOW, and now only. Five seconds later the solution is out-of-date. It's meant to represent someone actually looking through the periscope and making the calculations. While the solution becomes older there is still a chance you might hit, I wouldn't ever count on it, especially if you maneuver at all. Always take a new solution just before you fire.
Old 06-05-13, 10:44 AM   #6665
keithf
Kite

Default Danke

Thanks a lot, guys.
I'll give it another go.

Keith
Old 06-05-13, 01:32 PM   #6666
keithf
Kite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW3 View Post
To answer your questions...
1.The different colors indicate the different probabilities of getting a hit.
Red=Bad
Orange=highly unlikely
Yellow=maybe but, not where it was aimed.
Green=best chance of hitting where it was aimed.

2. Torpedo speed is dependent on the range of the shot, the farther away the target is, the slower the speed of the torpedo needs to be to reach the target.

3. The observation scope is in the command room. The attack scope is in the conning tower.

4. Yes you can use other mods. Some have been made by the modder to work with GWX. I recommend using JSGME to enable mods because it will alert you to possible conflicts before the mod is installed.

I hope this helps you out.

Hi HW3
I am still not sure what you mean regarding installing mods. I have upgraded with Grey Wolves. How do I use JSGME to add a mod?
Old 06-06-13, 07:19 AM   #6667
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

When you installed GWX, JSGME was installed as well, abet a older version. If you look in the main SH3 folder you should see an icon for it, and a folder labeled Mods. Open the Mods folder and inside should be several GWX mods that are optional, meaning they are not required to run GWX. That is where you would put any other mod, like MFM. Now click on the JSGME icon and a new screen should open with 2 boxes and some buttons in the middle section. The mods in the Mods folder should be listed in the left box. Click on one and it should highlight then click on the button enable or >. The mod name should move to the right box, or a window will open saying that a file will be overwritten do you wish to proceed? You then decide if it is ok to overwrite that file, or not. To uninstall a mod enabled by JSGME, you highlight it in the right window and click the unenable or < button. There is a manual for JSGME that explains its use, it should be in the main SH3 folder. This was just a "quick and dirty" explanation.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-13, 08:57 AM   #6668
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

And if you feel a need for the latest (and last) version of JSGME, you can get it here.
Old 06-07-13, 08:04 PM   #6669
Heavy Fog
Swabbie

Downloads: 135
Default Now everything works smooth

Hello Jimbuna, sorry for the late reply.

I was afk, gone salmon fishing up in the Matapedia river. I caught a big one of 16.3kg, Yeah! During the time i was away i got my computer for a check-up. My HD was defective.

I have dl the files from mediafire, one at a time and, finaly, got it installed. Now everything works smooth. Yeah! Thank,s a lot for your coopperation.
Heavy Fog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 09:30 PM   #6670
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Jim's reply may also be late, as he is on vacation at the moment. He'll see it when he gets back.
Old 06-17-13, 05:16 AM   #6671
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Fog View Post
Hello Jimbuna, sorry for the late reply.

I was afk, gone salmon fishing up in the Matapedia river. I caught a big one of 16.3kg, Yeah! During the time i was away i got my computer for a check-up. My HD was defective.

I have dl the files from mediafire, one at a time and, finaly, got it installed. Now everything works smooth. Yeah! Thank,s a lot for your coopperation.
Your welcome Kaleun

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-13, 12:08 AM   #6672
maurice076
Sailor man

Downloads: 27

Now I find this thread:.Lot more reading to do.Thanks for helping us newbs.
maurice076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-13, 01:42 AM   #6673
Aminius
Swabbie

Downloads: 13
i have a little problem with gwx 3.0
its the 18. patrol now 43 and i just got a IXD2. made multiple savegames on patrol and in the end was sunk. when i tried reloading the save the game crashes after finishing loading. (Noch nicht so lange her... >crash)

any ideas? game worked fine before getting IXD2, with savegames and everything.
Aminius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-13, 08:30 AM   #6674
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminius View Post
i have a little problem with gwx 3.0
its the 18. patrol now 43 and i just got a IXD2. made multiple savegames on patrol and in the end was sunk. when i tried reloading the save the game crashes after finishing loading. (Noch nicht so lange her... >crash)

any ideas? game worked fine before getting IXD2, with savegames and everything.
It might have to do with if you exited the game after being sunk or not. If I get sunk, I always load a game save first, BEFORE exiting the game.
Old 06-29-13, 02:58 AM   #6675
Aminius
Swabbie

Downloads: 13

i dont think i exited the game. i deleted the <sunk> save, and loaded the previous one.
does loading IXD2 savegames work with other people?
Aminius is offline   Reply With Quote