Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-11-21, 08:49 AM   #646
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
It's an impeachment trial, not a law being created to abridge freedom of speech. He was free to say what he did but not free of consequences.
I was probably a bit obtuse in my post, but if you think this impeachment won't have a chilling effect on the first amendment for the rest of the country, then you are willfully ignoring human nature along with 5,000 years of recorded history.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-21, 09:18 AM   #647
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Space aliens and fluoridated water in the schools?
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-21, 09:26 AM   #648
Sonicfire1981
Engineer

Downloads: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
I was probably a bit obtuse in my post, but if you think this impeachment won't have a chilling effect on the first amendment for the rest of the country, then you are willfully ignoring human nature along with 5,000 years of recorded history.

Look how he did not say:

"I, Donald John Trump do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, unless the constitution is stupid because I was voted out in which case I will much rather exercise my right to incite a mob to attack the capitol in the hopes they will throw out all votes and appoint me their leader for as long as I like.

So help me god."
Sonicfire1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-21, 09:49 AM   #649
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
It was close but the insurrection failed and the Republic still stands.
With all due respect I don't think that there was the slightest chance that the Republic would fall on Jan. 6th. It would take a lot more than an unruly and destructive mob to accomplish that.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-21, 10:01 AM   #650
Sonicfire1981
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
With all due respect I don't think that there was the slightest chance that the Republic would fall on Jan. 6th. It would take a lot more than an unruly and destructive mob to accomplish that.
In a way it did; as it stands it seems to be acceptable for a president to send a violent mob after his opponents if he's not pleased with the election. Because had they reached pelosi, pence, romney etc. - a lot more blood would have been spilled.

Democracy is not the rule of the one with the most violent followers. Which one would you rather have?

Last edited by Sonicfire1981; 02-11-21 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-11-21, 10:55 AM   #651
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicfire1981 View Post
...as it stands it seems to be acceptable for a president to send a violent mob after his opponents if he's not pleased with the election...
well no, that is never acceptable, but that is not what happened and no amount of fact twisting and outright lying by the Democrats is going to change that.

The former President will be acquitted, that is a foregone conclusion.
Old 02-11-21, 11:16 AM   #652
u crank

Quote:
In a way it did;
Sorry no. Your definition of the Republic falling would have to be explained. No such thing happened.

Quote:
as it stands it seems to be acceptable for a president to send a violent mob after his opponents if he's not pleased with the election.
There is no proof that this was the case. In order for that to be true you would have to have a clear command by Trump to do so. Can you quote such a statement? And it can't be an ambiguous statement. It has to be specific such as "ok go to the Capital and kill some members of Congress." There also has to be intent. Can you or anyone prove that it was Trump's intent to cause anyone physical harm or do damage to property? Again you need irrefutable evidence of this. Is there any? On the contrary we have Trump urging the listeners to behave in a peaceful manner. The fact that they behaved differently is on them.

Quote:
Because had they reached pelosi, pence, romney etc. - a lot more blood would have been spilled.
As any jive lawyer would say "pure speculation your Honor".

Quote:
Democracy is not the rule of the one with the most violent followers. Which one would you rather have?
I hope that you are not suggesting that there are violent followers on only one side of the American political divide are you?

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 02-11-21, 11:20 AM   #653
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Look how he did not say:

"I, Donald John Trump do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, unless the constitution is stupid because I was voted out in which case I will much rather exercise my right to incite a mob to attack the capitol in the hopes they will throw out all votes and appoint me their leader for as long as I like.

So help me god."
Your point being?

The only reason for this second "impeachment", is an attempt to prevent Trump from running in 2024.

FYI: Grover Cleveland lost his re-election bid in 1888 due to voter fraud. He was elected for a second term in 1892.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-21, 11:22 AM   #654
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
Your point being?

The only reason for this second "impeachment", is an attempt to prevent Trump from running in 2024.

FYI: Grover Cleveland lost his re-election bid in 1888 due to voter fraud. He was elected for a second term in 1892.
I used to think that. Now I think it's more about making the GOP take sides.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-21, 11:23 AM   #655
u crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
The former President will be acquitted, that is a foregone conclusion.
Quote:
"This particular impeachment ... seems especially half-baked to me, in the sense the House acted in desperate haste to try to get it under the wire before the president had actually left the office, and it's a single count. There was no investigation, no hearings, no witnesses called, no nothing, and they sent the whole thing over to the Senate, where there is no indication that enough Republicans would join Democrats to create the two-thirds needed to convict."

Brit Hume - Fox News
Some facts we are not getting on CNN.

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 02-11-21, 11:26 AM   #656
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Say it ain't so?????
Old 02-11-21, 11:57 AM   #657
Sonicfire1981
Engineer

Quote:
I hope that you are not suggesting that there are violent followers on only one side of the American political divide are you?
I do. By the bahaviour of most republican senators, reading books, feet on their desks etc. they seem to be thinking their live were never in danger during the insurection.
(as a sidenote: what would you do with your kids behaving like this while in a private school that costs you a fortune? would they be allowed to stay at that school?)
If they had the slightest worry such event could occur again, only with - say - Bidens followers, they would be a lot more interested in a thorough investigation of the event.
So not even Ted Cruz thinks there are equally violent followers on the other side.
Old 02-11-21, 12:06 PM   #658
Sonicfire1981
Engineer

Quote:
Only CNN is news, fox news is commentary. On the first night of the Trial they had the story of a man using dog shampoo. Second night "the broken promises of Joe Biden". Not the trial - trivia.
Old 02-11-21, 12:09 PM   #659
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Only CNN is news,
Old 02-11-21, 12:12 PM   #660
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Only CNN is news, fox news is commentary. On the first night of the Trial they had the story of a man using dog shampoo. Second night "the broken promises of Joe Biden". Not the trial - trivia.
You made the wild night avatar today!

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote