SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-24-16, 09:11 AM   #646
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

I hear MS is pushing yet again KB3035583, I should not see it as this is one I put on the hide list.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-16, 10:17 AM   #647
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Aanker, the job of defanging Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 is much easier with GWX Control Panel and Spybot Anti-Beacon. Kill the dirty dozen or so, innoculate with GWX Control Panel and shut down the Microsoft servers with Anti-Beacon and you should be good to go.
Stay on your guard, do not fall for comfrotable options only. By their record, it is only a question of time until MS will try to deliberately avoid and manouver around GWX control panel. I assume right now it is only some hidden legal implications having prevented them from doing so already now.

As victim/customer of Microsoft, you must be turned into a naked, defenceless and helpless receiver of Microsoft's orders on what you have to accept from them . GWX control panel is a hindrance for that policy. Go figure.

So use GWX contro, panel, but do not assume it is all you need to do, and do not trust in blindly, and re-check time and again. Always keep on mind that Mircosoft knows their OS better than the authors of tools like GWX control panel - or yourself - probably ever will.
Old 02-24-16, 12:48 PM   #648
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Aanker, the job of defanging Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 is much easier with GWX Control Panel and Spybot Anti-Beacon. Kill the dirty dozen or so, innoculate with GWX Control Panel and shut down the Microsoft servers with Anti-Beacon and you should be good to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Stay on your guard, do not fall for comfrotable options only. .........

So use GWX contro, panel, but do not assume it is all you need to do, and do not trust in blindly, and re-check time and again. Always keep on mind that Mircosoft knows their OS better than the authors of tools like GWX control panel - or yourself - probably ever will.
Thanks for the advice and reassurance, Rockin Robbins & Skybird. I will remain on guard and as vigilant as I have been with this desktop.

The last thing I wanted to do is flub the initial procedure up and be presented with the, 'Welcome to Win 10 'spyware' (my opinion) OS Screen' on this new Win 7 laptop - that was hard enough to find in the first place!

Thank you very much guys : )
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-16, 04:11 PM   #649
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Steed is right. KB 335583 is back for its tenth rewrite and reissue. There is no Microsoft summary or even mention that it's back for another go at forcing you to upgrade to Win 10. Every time they rewrite this piece of malware it gets more virulent. Be careful.
Get Windows 10 patch KB 3035583 suddenly reappears on Win7/8.1 PCs

The 10th version of the Microsoft's much-maligned malware rolled out Tuesday afternoon with no warning or mention

This is impossible to dismiss as a mistake or a blunder. It is a purposeful attempt to take over your computer against your will. Free enterprise is producing a product that people seek out of their own free will and gladly pay their money. This is something much more insidious. If they were doing it to people it would be kidnapping.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 02-24-16 at 04:17 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-16, 11:07 PM   #650
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

MicroSoft keeps on and someone will start a class action lawsuit against them. Taking over your computer is the last straw. I've heard good and bad about 10, but I sure don't want it forced on me. I'll try it on my terms not theirs, and if I don't like it I'll get rid of it.

I'm actually thinking of partitioning my 2T hard drive and installing XP Home again. Yes, just to play SH3 without all the problems. 3A 2 bit simulation running on a 32 bit OS that gave us no problems. It could be a good fix for SH3.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-16, 07:42 PM   #651
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Default New Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1 HP Laptop update

For the benefit of anyone who may go through a similar experience, I want to report on my results regarding my new Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1 HP Laptop.

After uninstalling all of the extra 'bloatware' HP likes to include on its computers, and running Ccleaner to clean up extra fluff plus performing the Ccleaner registry scan and delete procedure, I went through my list of 12 Win 10 KB numbers and found that none of these potential 'Get Win 10' updates had been installed:

KB3055583
KB2976978
KB3050267
KB3068708
KB3022345
KB2952664
KB2977759
KB3075249
KB3080149
KB3090045
KB3035583
KB3083710

Approx 150 other Windows 7 updates were installed by either the factory or the vendor.

I disabled Automatic Windows updates, set up GWX Control Panel, and will install Spybot Anti-Beacon. I doubt that there will be many more (if any) Important updates for Win 7 in the future, and I don't plan to check, however I do keep an eye on the blogs & forums that typically announce critical updates etc.

So, I received the product I paid for; a new Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1 HP Laptop without a trace of Win 10 on it.

Lastly, I don't use IE for my browser and I don't intend to use 'cloud based' anything.

Thanks again to Rockin Robbins, Skybird, and Steed (with Win8) who all provided helpful information.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-16, 06:34 AM   #652
Skybird
Soaring

Just to raise your awareness: you may not actively launch and use Explorer, but it is embedded deeply in Windows and Windows uses it internally, Microsoft in all its lacking wisdom has decided many man years ago to link Windows and Explorer so tightly that none of the two can perform without the other anymore. Explorer will do some things in the background, if you do not use it. You just do not notice it. Except maybe sometimes when you use CCleaner and wonder why there are some bits of temporary Explorer data deleted by CC.

My recommendation is not to run a no longe rupdated Windows 7, but if not updating it, using an alternative OS instead, and use Windows only for the very limited task that you specifically want it for - NOTHING MORE. In my case, I only (must) use it as a game-launching platform. When I switch from surfing to game, or vice versa, I reboot to the other OS first.

Do not install "recommended" Windows updates anymore for W7, only research for "security" updates. And beware that there is no guarantee at all that Microsoft sooner or later will push its GWX crap under the label of security updates too, like they have moved them from "optional" to "recommended" already.

---

I plan to go for two platforms by the end of this year. One gaming PC with any form of Windows, used only for games-launching, and a laptop for anything else: surfing, text/word editing, emailing. The laptop will become fully encrypted and will use something like TOR or similar.

All that MS then gets from me, is my save games. Well, these they can have, if they want them.
Old 02-29-16, 07:56 AM   #653
STEED
Lucky Jack

Best to set updates to (NEVER CHECK FOR UPDATES) and un-tick the two boxes below as well. Carry out patch Tuesday search manually and note down what has been released but do not update, keep a eye on the Net like..

http://www.askwoody.com

http://www.infoworld.com/blog/woody-on-windows

For example Feb updates check note and only update a few days before March updates so you can filter out the nasty ones and as Skybird states only security updates forget the optional updates.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 03-03-16, 02:20 AM   #654
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

A new Windows 10 update rolled out March 1 version 1511 KB3140743.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-16, 01:42 PM   #655
STEED
Lucky Jack

Win10 KB 3140743 causes problems.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/304...html?nsdr=true

Watch out folks MS is trying to get you on Win10 again!

I spotted two and now hid them.

Old 03-03-16, 03:51 PM   #656
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

An 'operating system' that needs more attention to be kept under one's control than it gives people advantage to work with, is a bloody nuisance and nothing more.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-16, 06:56 AM   #657
STEED
Lucky Jack

Posting a few questions for a friend as his Win7 has now died, he said he is going to buy Win10 but due to MS being the way they are these days will only use it off line, he has his eye on a Acer Aspire CB3-111 11.6-inch Chromebook Laptop (See link below) so to the questions..

He understands to a point its OS is based Linux kernel so he should not have any bother from MS?

Is it worth buying just mainly for the Internet?

According to the details else where from a shop that is selling a bit cheaper you have to log in to your google account which he has not got, so he will have to set up a google account from here? https://accounts.google.com/signup

Is it east to pick up and understand and plug it into a monitor screen?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-...s=Linux+laptop

Last edited by STEED; 03-04-16 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-05-16, 06:37 AM   #658
Skybird
Soaring

Sorry, cannot comment on your questions, but a basic consideration: it'S Google. Google Datakraken Inc. Is that needed: to replace Windows 10 with Google Chrome?

I plan to do something like this myself later this year or early next year. My plan calls for searching a notebook that is as naked as possible, and then exclusively install Linux on it, killing anything Microsoft or Google on it.
Old 03-05-16, 06:40 AM   #659
Skybird
Soaring

And this nicely illustrates why enforced updates are such a bad idea.

I have had quite some broken updates from MS in the past, until some years ago already I decided to not install just everything anymore just because it was recommended or optional. And that was even before Win8.
Old 03-05-16, 06:42 AM   #660
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
An 'operating system' that needs more attention to be kept under one's control than it gives people advantage to work with, is a bloody nuisance and nothing more.
Exactly. Not to mention the enormous time investment you need per month to constantly stay updated on the news situation and study all the research blogs.

Its hilarious.

Tags
windows