SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-12-09, 12:14 PM   #631
dcb
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 544
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
Merchant Gunner: Penguins of the Atlantic!
So it's a penguin simulator?
dcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-09, 04:24 PM   #632
Gorgon
Swabbie

Downloads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus7 View Post
You might want to try Dangerous Waters
Never played it, but it seems way to complex with no real middle ground. I think the Silent Hunter series works precisely because you can have it both ways. Want to do everything manually for the utmost simulation? You got it. But you can also be a noob when it comes to subs (just like me ), who wants the realism and historicity without compromising ease of access to the game, by having much of it simplified for you (easy firing of torpedoes, streamlined navigation, easy control of the boat, no need for a real understanding of the radar/sonar, etc).

Dangerous Waters, however, "fails" at this. You can't really get someone who doesn't want to read through endless pages of manuals and online help documents to get into the game. Either you're a die-hard sim lover or the game simply will frustrate you and nothing else. There's nothing wrong with this, but just don't expect any developer company to "keep afloat".

Personaly I'd love a Silent Hunter: Blind Man's Bluff edition, keeping all the acessibility to noobs of the SH series, while giving more hard-core simulation fans what they want too. Plus, good graphics are half the way in attracting new customers who don't have any special knowledge and/or love for subs. I know it worked for me with SH3 and SH4 (and in the old days with Silent Service 2 and Aces of the Deep).

Plus, I'm getting tired of the same recycled stuff over and over again with new and better graphics and little else. It's not like these devs have 3 years to make a masterpiece or something. SH5 looks like it's going to be SH3 with better GFX, a dynamic campaign, and little else.

In my humble opinion, they should alternate between WWII and Cold War as settings for SH between game releases.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by Gorgon; 07-13-09 at 04:34 PM.
Gorgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-09, 06:59 PM   #633
Hartmann
Sea Lord

Downloads: 204

Dangerous waters have the Auto crew option in all stations , so it´s not very difficult start with it. The big problem are the jurassic graphics and a limited campaign.

SH5 perhaps will never released, but i prefer a modern sub game, because WWII is fully represented with sh3 sh4

Only some things more are needed for a perfect game, like better weather fronts, all subs interiors and wolfpacks

SH5 ?? SH3 in the SH4 engine with both teathers and moded . with surface units

She is made of iron, sir. I assure you, she can. and she will. It is a mathematical certainty.

Strength and honor
Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-09, 07:12 PM   #634
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgon View Post
SH5 looks like it's going to be SH3 with better GFX, a dynamic campaign, and little else.
And how do you know what it looks like when all we have to go on is "U-boats in the Atlantic, all new code"?

Just wait.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-09, 09:27 PM   #635
Gorgon
Swabbie

Quote:
And how do you know what it looks like when all we have to go on is "U-boats in the Atlantic, all new code"?

Just wait.
Heheh, pretty true. However it's better to expect less and be pleasantly surprised if we actually get more than a re-hash of SH3.

But I certainly agree with the poster above you: I really don't see the need for yet another Atlantic SH. Not at this point in time. I'd much prefer a Cold War game by 2010 and AFTER that a return to the WWII Atlantic SH.

I woudn't mind a stand-alone expansion (or even an add-on) in the Atlantic for SH IV using the same engine. It certainly doesn't need better GFX at this point. It would also cut development time and costs. But "all new code" smells to me like essentially a graphics update, with perhaps better physics and better support for the modding community. But do we really need it at this point? I feel that Ubisoft could do better use of money by launching a new spin-off set in the Cold War and THAT would justify the time and money for the "all new code".

But you're right, lets wait and see.
Old 07-14-09, 09:12 AM   #636
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

What was told to me was that U-boats sell better than Fleet boats. Seeing as the sim market is a lot more popular in Europe than in the States, and many European gamers don't care as much for the Pacific as they do the Battle of the Atlantic, it's a business decision to go with the U-boats.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
Old 07-14-09, 12:51 PM   #637
Bartolomeus
Planesman

Downloads: 33

I hope Ubisoft makes a Cold War Sim! I dont need a another WWII sim yet.
Old 07-14-09, 06:47 PM   #638
Gorgon
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartolomeus View Post
I hope Ubisoft makes a Cold War Sim! I dont need a another WWII sim yet.
Amen. I don't think it will happen, though.

By the way, SH5 was "revealed" in an interview with someone at Ubi (or from the Romanian devs) but the game was never actually oficially anounced. He only said that now that the (half-assed) HAWX game was published the team is now going to develop the 5th sequel to a well known franchise. That means SH5 ofcourse. But where did SUBSIM get the info that the game will have "all new code" and will be about U-Boats in the Atlantic? I never saw that revealed anywhere.
Old 07-14-09, 07:09 PM   #639
Alex
Dominant Wolf

Downloads: 30

Quote:
Amen. I don't think it will happen, though.

By the way, SH5 was "revealed" in an interview with someone at Ubi (or from the Romanian devs) but the game was never actually oficially anounced. He only said that now that the (half-assed) HAWX game was published the team is now going to develop the 5th sequel to a well known franchise. That means SH5 of course.
You're a bit late mate.
Just a second, checking something...

According to a french site that is always late (most of the time, let's say), that news was published on October 22nd, 2008.

Quote:
But where did SUBSIM get the info that the game will have "all new code" and will be about U-Boats in the Atlantic? I never saw that revealed anywhere.
Neal just knows the good people to know !

Old 07-14-09, 09:16 PM   #640
Gorgon
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
You're a bit late mate.
Just a second, checking something...

According to a french site that is always late (most of the time, let's say), that news was published on October 22nd, 2008.
I wasn't delivering any news, I was just making the argument for the real question, that is, how did SUBSIM know about the "details" of SH5 if there was no official info released Sorry I wasn't clear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Neal just knows the good people to know !

Ahhhh, so that's how! Thx mate!
Old 07-14-09, 10:01 PM   #641
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Quote:
I wasn't delivering any news, I was just making the argument for the real question, that is, how did SUBSIM know about the "details" of SH5 if there was no official info released Sorry I wasn't clear...

Ahhhh, so that's how! Thx mate!
Never underestimate the power of the Onkel!

Old 07-16-09, 11:24 AM   #642
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Never underestimate the power of the Onkel!

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 02:41 PM   #643
Gorgon
Swabbie

Old 07-16-09, 03:11 PM   #644
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Sometimes it is not what you know but who you know.
AVGWarhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-09, 01:00 AM   #645
Morpheus
Ensign

Downloads: 17

SH5 announced

wouldn't that be nice?

Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote