SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-14-10, 11:21 PM   #631
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

It's not naval or submarine related, but I'm halfway through Paul Crickmore's Lockheed Blackbird: Beyond The Secret Missions, which was just reprinted in paperback. It's a weighty, substantial book, with lots of technical detail, oral accounts, and behind the scenes information. My copy was only $17, which is a steal considering it's a 400 page book with 50 pages of color photographs. If the SR-71 is your thing, I highly recommend it.

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-10, 01:09 AM   #632
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_scope View Post
Hitler`s U-Boat War 1939-1942 The Hunters Clay Blair

If ever you wanted to know what happened to a specific u-boat and the circumstances around it, you got it. This is highly recommended.
I`m currently in the opening moves of WW2. As you all know, those u-boat sailors knew what the term "suffering" meant.

All the tonnage stats, technology, and even the philosophy behind the u-boat war is in delicate detail. And after you are done with this mammoth study, another one awaits you - Hitler`s U-boat War 1942-1945 The Hunted. Gonna take me a while to get there.
Agreed-a very detailed read.
I want to get Volume 2 as well but every seller I check is pretty proud of it. Makes me wonder if the pages are gold leaf or something.

Sorry, just the penny pinching miser coming out in me.

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-10, 08:13 AM   #633
sharkbit
The Old Man

Just finished "Submarine" by Edward L. Beach.
Some pretty good stories about U.S. subs in WWII mixed in with Beach's experiences on submarines during the war. I got a smile from his story about the ice cream maker being installed on the USS Trigger and what they went through to get it working right.

Just started "Bacalao" by J.T. McDaniel last night.

A work of fiction about a fictional U.S. fleetboat before and during WWII.
I'm still pretty early in the book and the story hasn't developed too far but some of the technical details are very good.

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
Old 05-28-10, 04:48 PM   #634
OneToughHerring
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by Eugene Sledge. Recommended reading for all WW 2 in the Pacific - enthousiasts.
Old 05-28-10, 10:16 PM   #635
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Just finished On the Causes of War and the Preservation of Peace by Donald Kagan, a detailed examination of why wars start using some familier and lesser known historical models.

Worth a look for anybody interested in the politics and dynamics of the decision to resort to violence in pursuit of national policy goals.
Old 05-29-10, 02:10 AM   #636
sharkbit
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToughHerring View Post
With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by Eugene Sledge. Recommended reading for all WW 2 in the Pacific - enthousiasts.
His descriptions of living among corpses and maggots on Okinawa are quite chilling. It will remove any illusions of "glory" in war.
Old 05-30-10, 06:28 AM   #637
Kpt. Weyprecht
Gunner

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
The Boss just left for a three-week tropical cruise with her girlfriend and I got some new books to read between feeding Cat and taping her TV shows...

Crash Dive - In Action with HMS Safari 1942-43 by Arthur P. Dickison

and

Broken Arrow - America's First Lost Nuclear Weapon by Norman Leach
How is the Crash Dive compared to Ben Bryant's Submarine Commander? I read that one last year and really liked it.

By the way, any advice on Unknown Waters by Alfred Scott McLaren and William R. Anderson? I considered ordering it recently and I finally turned back to the WW2 with Clear the Bridge.
Kpt. Weyprecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-10, 08:52 PM   #638
tommo8993
Helmsman

Downloads: 17

im reading two books currently:
sink the belgrano by mike rossiter
and
pheonix squadron by rowland white
tommo8993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-10, 09:11 AM   #639
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Weyprecht View Post
How is the Crash Dive compared to Ben Bryant's Submarine Commander? I read that one last year and really liked it.
Am not familier with Ben Bryant's Submarine Commander, just Paul Schratz' book of the same name. Sorry.

The author of Crash Dive was a Leading WT Operator on board and the book, based on his diary, is generally well done and quite readable.
Old 06-16-10, 07:25 AM   #640
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Hi Jacob, welcome to Subsim!

Some of the books discussed here are new, some aren't. Mostly it's a thread about what people are reading at the moment.

Lots of good info in this thread about a lot of different books but if you have interest or questions about particular books or subject matter, ask away and if someone's got info they'll more than likely share it.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 12:52 PM   #641
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob1hamilton View Post
hi everybody

this is jacob .... I m new in this forum... Please tell me latest books releases
die spammer.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 02:23 PM   #642
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
Hi Jacob, welcome to Subsim!

Some of the books discussed here are new, some aren't. Mostly it's a thread about what people are reading at the moment.

Lots of good info in this thread about a lot of different books but if you have interest or questions about particular books or subject matter, ask away and if someone's got info they'll more than likely share it.
Ha, somebody other than me now has the shame of answering to one of those! I'm free! Freeeeeeeeee! *runs into brick wall*
Old 06-16-10, 02:57 PM   #643
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor1 View Post
Ha, somebody other than me now has the shame of answering to one of those! I'm free! Freeeeeeeeee! *runs into brick wall*
So is "tell me the newest book releases" the new "I find your ideas intriguing" or what?

Still trying to figure out the spamtacular purpose of a spam post that contains no advertisement, links, or otherwise spammy content.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-10, 10:47 AM   #644
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Spam is the internet equivelant of egging somebody's house.

Back on to books...

If you have read Harald Busch's U-Boats at War you might recall the account of Johann Mohr's (U-124) spectacular long-shot sinking of HMS Dunedin in the South Atlantic in late 1941.

Blood on the Sea is the story of Dunedin, her sinking far from the shipping lanes and the ordeal of her hundreds of survivors as they awaited a rescue that never came. Only the chance passing-by of the American freighter SS Nishmaha caused the last 72-men to be saved.

Blood on the Sea (by Stuart Gill ISBN 0-297-84665-5) is a good read, showing how Enigma intelligence, the Raider Atlantis, inter-departmental secrecy and other factors combined to put the lone HMS Dunedin in Kplt Mohr's sights and botched any effective search and rescue operation to save her crew.
Old 06-18-10, 05:30 PM   #645
Dimitrius07
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I finished the Eddings Devid books, i just love his style.

Tags
books