SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-14-21, 07:47 AM   #6331
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

All coronavirus legal restrictions must be permanently lifted by the end of April, say a group of Tory backbench MPs

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab says there will be no "arbitrary commitment" to reopen without reviewing the impact of the virus on hospital admissions.

Mr Raab says ministers have not ruled out the idea of "vaccine passports"

The children's commissioner says one in six children "will never catch up" lost school days.

Auckland in New Zealand is to go into lockdown after the discovery of three new local cases of Covid-19

The ban on evictions in England is to be extended until the end of March.

People aged 65 to 69 in England are among those being invited to book their Covid-19 jab from Monday.

Britain's Got Talent judge Amanda Holden has said she is "devastated" at breaking lockdown rules.

South Africa says on Monday it will reopen 20 of its land border crossings.

Latest figures indicate 116,908. people have died with the virus in the UK

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-21, 07:56 AM   #6332
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Wales will reopen primary schools to the youngest pupils from 22 February, but the First Minister said their approach remained "careful and cautious".

In Europe, Germany partially closed its borders with the Czech Republic and Austria's Tyrol region. It said both places were now classed as coronavirus "mutation areas"

A strain of coronavirus detected at a mink fur farm in Poland can spread to humans, the country's ministry of agriculture has confirmed.

Japan approved its first vaccine, clearing the way for its inoculation programme to begin. It is expected to provide the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine to thousands of medical workers from as early as Wednesday.

Old 02-14-21, 08:17 AM   #6333
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 247
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
We, all of us, are still up to our ### in alligators thanks to this global pandemic. Let's hold off on making it into another "left vs right" issue, at least until everyone gets vaccinated and we're sure the species is going to survive.

Until then, don't be a D Bag, wear your mask in public. It isn't about you, its about not killing your neighbors. Practice at least some healthy behaviors so it doesn't look like you're being a D Bag.

Then, once its all over, we can ague about all the trivial stuff until the cows come home.

Except it's *never* going to be over. Politicians will continue never letting a crisis go to waste, pharma will continue lining their pockets, and people will continue dying due to untreated illnesses, depression, and lack of physical fitness due to lockdowns.

The whole world needs to come to its senses, recognize that this needs to be treated like every other seasonal cold/flu season and move on.

Yes, give shots to the elderly and immune-compromised first before giving them to others. Yes, wash your hands. Yes, cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze. But lockdowns and mask mandates are all health theater when the latest studies show that the majority of infections occur from direct contact with an infected person's cough and sneeze aerosol exhalate, when the studies show the vast majority of people who aren't elderly or immune-compromised (who you've just vaccinated) have mild to no symptoms, and when you have mild to no symptoms, you don't overwhelm hospitals. Sure, there will be a number of people who get really sick still - just like with any annual cold and flu season. But when you've vaccinated the most at-risk and the vast majority of the remainder get the sniffles, there is no existential threat to us.

What no one seems to be seriously considering is the risk to everyone once lockdowns end in regards to *other* illnesses. A year of peoples' immune systems essentially being dormant due to not coming in contact with other peoples' germs will likely lead to a swarm of non-covid hospitalizations. Best evidence I have of this occurring? My own experience in boot camp years ago. *Everyone* got sick right around the 2nd week in when everyone's germs mingled and people got sick with "the crud" - a random assortment of flu, cold, bronchitis, pink eye, ear infections, skin infections, etc.

The covid-19 shots are going to be like the flu shot - an annual best guess (usually wrong) as to which strain will be prevalent next year.

I can't say for the entire world, but the CDC has a flu vaccine effectiveness estimate going back to 2004 - the vaccine has never been greater than 60% effective in that time. Average effectiveness? Barely 40%. Again - best given to those most at risk. I've (until the lockdown craziness) traveled extensively around the world and have never gotten a flu shot, nor have I gotten the flu. When I get a little bit older, I'll get the flu shot and covid shot. But I'm smart. I carry disinfecting wipes and wipe down airplane seat trays, for example. I wash my hands all the time. If I get sick, I'm the one wearing the mask, not the healthy people around me - and I go to the doctor straightaway instead of going to the office sick.

Nope, just like the common cold and the flu, covid is here to stay.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-21, 04:01 PM   #6334
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

I wish the WHO would make their minds up and stick to it.

A WHO scientist has admitted the Covid lab leak theory has NOT been ruled out as the team comes under fire over its "whitewash" investigation in China.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/140474...ovid-lab-leak/
Old 02-14-21, 05:43 PM   #6335
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
I wish the WHO would make their minds up and stick to it.

A WHO scientist has admitted the Covid lab leak theory has NOT been ruled out as the team comes under fire over its "whitewash" investigation in China.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/140474...ovid-lab-leak/
Why would you trust a political organization to do the right thing? You'd be better off listening to your 75-yr old local GP who delivered you as a baby then to those charlatans. You have to drop down past the administration layer to the worker-bee scientists toiling in anonymity and privately seething at their management to get the real truth.
Old 02-14-21, 07:38 PM   #6336
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

In some months, in some countries earlier, in others later, the number of vaccinated people will be approaching that magical 50% range and higher, and then the discussions will start in all hottness how it can be justified any longer that the majority of people being vaccinated should still be stripped of their rights because the minority is still not vaccinated and - with growing vaccination numbers - the relative share of vaccination-rejecters amongst the non-vaccinated people will grow bigger and bigger. How will they defend that the majority must still obey the rejection of the few? Will they call it "solidarity", as they already do in Germany? Enforced solidarity is no solidarity, but force, blackmailing, violence.

Sooner or later the vaccinated group must get "privileges", its a thing of reasonability, and justice. And these privileges are nothign else but the giving back of former civil rights.

But where to set the treshhold? 51%? Two thirds?

They must also end the lockdown, no matter how the medical situation then is, like even the best sub sooner or later must come back to the surface again, it cannto stay submerged forever. Even in Germany, where the economy and shop businesses so far came relativley well through the crisis, but that is about to come to an end. According associations representing the various shop and business branches say that if their members do not get further support for the next months, two thirds of the shops and businesses in city centres will be gone, and a significant number of these already are threatened by insolvence before Easter. That means practically dead city centres then. And an explosion of social erosion that destroys the cohesion of society. A lack of income for city administrations. Further communal erosion. A vicious circle.

So they will inflate more circulating currency and by that devaluing it further. With the to be expected consequences of that.

So far we have just seen the medical dimension of the crisis. The financial and economic and communal dimension of it have not even started to show in full.

And the justice debates then , if the shortages of doses and slowness of the campaign at least in countries like Germany does not get overcome! Have your popcorn ready!

What I say what could be done? Build a time machine, go back by fifty, sixty years, and with the knowledge of today do better eocnomic andf ifscal polcies fromt hen on. Build reserves so to be prepared for times of need and desaster.

Because Corona strikes us so hard for one reason only: not mentally and not economcially and and not pltlcially wer were prepared. although various experts told us it is only a quesaiton of time until. theis scenario wopuld one day pop uop. And here it is.

One region in the world will loose trmeedlously in potlial ifnpoeunce due to this crisis, andn that is the EU. It has illustrated as intense as never before its impotence and incapability to put its acts where its mouth is. The damage to its reputation and trustworthiness is bigger than the damage done by 2007 and following years. Many nations will be far more hesitent to hand over further responsibilities" to Brussels - not after this debacle of a performance.

Which actually is good in my book. Cutting back the reach of central superplanners limits the range of desastrous consequences when their next superplan is blowing up. The EU's green deal for example.

Last edited by Skybird; 02-14-21 at 07:59 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-21, 07:58 PM   #6337
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
...The whole world needs to come to its senses, recognize that this needs to be treated like every other seasonal cold/flu season and move on....
And I believe it will be if the vaccination thresholds are achieved this year. People need to hold fast for a few more months to get there, I see that but you apparently don't, or won't, allow for that to happen and thereby confound the problem in impatience to be over it.

If that fails then I'll admit to being wrong and we'll just have to get on however that plays out.

Has it been an overreaction? The 2009 swine flu didn't even come close to this corona virus in deaths.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-21, 08:56 PM   #6338
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
And I believe it will be if the vaccination thresholds are achieved this year. People need to hold fast for a few more months to get there, I see that but you apparently don't, or won't, allow for that to happen and thereby confound the problem in impatience to be over it.

If that fails then I'll admit to being wrong and we'll just have to get on however that plays out.

Has it been an overreaction? The 2009 swine flu didn't even come close to this corona virus in deaths.
The 2009 flu? Of course it didn't - Obama-Biden admin told the CDC to just stop counting, it disproportionately affected the young, and nobody actually knows how many because flu statistics include lots of estimating rather than lab testing.

Explain the much higher ILI cases and deaths in 2017, 2018, and 2019. WHO is now reporting that covid was all over Wuhan in December 2019 in multiple strains. For all we know, this has been around a year or more longer than has officially been reported and the cases and deaths have only been as high as they are *because* we're specifically looking and testing a vastly larger number of people than we ever tested for flu.

I don't have a problem with the fact that covid is real. I have a problem with the dataset and the lack of basic science knowledge or common sense in using the data. *None* of the numbers can be trusted to be accurate. Modeling has been completely wrong from the beginning and that modeling has been used for public health decisions with disastrous results. The criteria for reporting cases has changed multiple times. Multiple positive tests of the same person have, in many instances, been reported as separate cases. Data dumps which includes old cases being reported as new cases, skewing the curves being published. The use of PCR as a diagnostic tool is, was, and will be stupid. It's a lab manufacturing tool - it'll amplify *any* corona viral particles, whether viable covid 19, some other coronavirus, or covid 19 viral debris from someone who had it and is over it - all it takes is not using the exact right starters or having a cycle time selected that is ridiculously high and you'll have a significant number of false positives. Flu cases were way down - because everyone was a covid case other than lab-confirmed flu. The data coming out of China was never right to begin with because they covered it up, skewing what people thought to be the CFR and IFR.

When all is said and done, we'll find, if we're honest with ourselves, that the number of actually infected is around 20x as many as have been counted, which makes it on par with a really bad flu season - it's only *because* we're looking for covid-19 that we're finding so many cases - which doesn't include all the people who never knew they had it and didn't get tested.

The best source of unbiased info are guys like The Ethical Skeptic and Kyle Lamb who report the data they pull, analyze the data and break it down - such as "1000 cases reported in today's dump, 200 deletions, 300 older than a month" and then do a bunch of statistical testing of the data.

I don't know that there are similar people doing that kind of data crunching throughout the world.
Old 02-14-21, 09:52 PM   #6339
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Well then obviously the entire world must be too stupid to see through the charade two guys can so easily punch holes in. Not buying it.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-21, 03:38 AM   #6340
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
The use of PCR as a diagnostic tool is, was, and will be stupid. It's a lab manufacturing tool - it'll amplify *any* corona viral particles, whether viable covid 19, some other coronavirus,
A blatant lie. And another very stupid post.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)
skidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-21, 06:29 AM   #6341
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Received a text from the vaccination centre an hour ago asking me to ring them. It took about ten minutes to get through, the line obviously experiencing heavy traffic.

First jab is 9am tomorrow and the second is the same time on 11th May.

Feeling lucky in more ways than one, the jab is being given at the medical centre where my doctors are based and the wife is going for breast screening at the same venue, booked in for 9.30am.

Old 02-15-21, 06:40 AM   #6342
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 02-15-21, 06:49 AM   #6343
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The first British and Irish citizens and UK residents to arrive in England from high-risk Covid countries since rule changes have been taken to their quarantine hotels.

In Scotland, arrivals from all countries by air must quarantine in hotels; there are no international flights into Wales or Northern Ireland.

The rules "will bolster the quarantine system and provide another layer of security against new variants at the border," Health Secretary Matt Hancock says.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson says everybody involved in the vaccination project can be incredibly proud of what has been achieved.

The PM, who will lead a Downing Street briefing later, says it has been an unbelievable effort by the NHS

No decisions have been made on whether year groups across schools in England will return together or be staggered, Johnson says.

Australia has suspended its quarantine-free travel arrangement with New Zealand after the discovery of three new cases in Auckland.

Dealing with the pandemic is "very, very easy" compared to the climate crisis, says Microsoft founder Bill Gates.

Old 02-15-21, 06:50 AM   #6344
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Italian ski resorts were preparing to reopen after months of lockdown, but at the weekend the health ministry decided to keep them shut until 5 March. Many businesses in the resorts are in dire straits, having lost the influx of winter tourists. The far-right League - now in the new coalition government - sharply criticised the U-turn.

Germany has reimposed police checks on its borders with the Czech Republic and Austria's Tyrol region. A new Covid surge has hit Tyrol’s ski resorts hard. Meanwhile, long traffic queues have built up at the Czech-German border, including many lorries with goods vital to the German economy. Germany is in lockdown until 7 March and entry is being limited to lorry drivers, medics and those with residence permits.

In Sweden there has been a sharp rise in cases of Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C) at the Astrid Lindgren hospital in Stockholm. In January it recorded 25 children with the potentially life-threatening condition. The numbers in previous months were below 10. MIS-C has been linked to Covid, but that link is not very clear, as Swedish children are not generally tested for Covid.

The EU has approved vaccine exports to 21 non-EU countries this month, including the US, UK and China - despite continuing vaccine shortages in the EU, German broadcaster ARD reports. The vaccine delays have caused anger in much of Europe, where far fewer people have had the jab than in the UK and US.

Old 02-15-21, 07:04 AM   #6345
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidman View Post
A blatant lie. And another very stupid post.
You don't have to believe me. Would you believe the guy who invented PCR?

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan