SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-10-21, 12:49 PM   #6286
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-21, 03:20 PM   #6287
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 247
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
The point is to kill as few people as possible while getting the vaccination numbers high enough to gain herd immunity.
Let's be clear - there will *never* be herd immunity using these. There will only be herd *symptom suppression*.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-21, 03:52 PM   #6288
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

The point is to built up antibodies. Why do you get a flu shot every year?

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-21, 06:27 PM   #6289
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
The point is to built up antibodies. Why do you get a flu shot every year?
I don't get a flu shot every year - and I've never gotten the flu.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-21, 05:45 AM   #6290
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
To be fair, that gets negotiated between exposition opportunities of yours, and strength of your immune response - may the latter come from antibodies froman earlier infection, a successful immune fight during first exposition, or vaccination.

It is possible that the immune system successfully fights off (=mild case) a first met germ or virus on the first meeting ever, it depends on whether the infectous attack leaves the immune system enough time to learn, adapt and build defences before the attack turns into a serious case, or not. 1 in 3 Covid-19 infections or so runs undiscovered and symptom-free, British radio runs a campaign saying that, I heared it on Smooth Radio. The infected person is not aware of it. The person still infects others, however.

In Covid-19, there is a correlation between virus load during exposition (reducing the time for the immune system to adapt before the virus replication overwhelms the body), and case seriousness.

Thats why even inferior mask technology (cotton masks for example) are better than nothing: they may not prevent virus particles being inhaled (FFP masks do not completely prevent that either, btw), but they still reduce the virus load. A cotton maks may redcue it by 40-60%, depending on mesh size. an FFP2/KN95 mask reduces it by 95%. A FFP3/KN100 mask reduces it by 98-99%. A plastic face shield reduces it by no percent at all.

A fisherman with a net with wide loops, catches less small fishes than a fisherman using a net with narrower loops.
Old 02-11-21, 05:53 AM   #6291
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Let's be clear - there will *never* be herd immunity using these. There will only be herd *symptom suppression*.
Asymptomatic people do not bog down the ICUs in hospital and do not overwhelm the health service.

You are splitting hairs for nothing.
Old 02-11-21, 08:26 AM   #6292
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

A SCIENTIST involved in the World Health Organisation's investigation into the origins of Covid has thrown its controversial findings into chaos by claiming the virus DID start in China.
Tell me something I didn't already know, perhaps those scientists and journalists who mysteriously disappeared in China last year might know Exactly Where and When it began, I'll wager there's no chance of seeing them again until China have been finally let off the hook.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/140111...started-china/
Old 02-11-21, 09:14 AM   #6293
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Consider yourself lucky, then. I've never gotten a flu shot either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
I see the leadership of the WHO are still covering up for China, I wonder why, what is going on behind the scenes, this organisation is beginning to stink like a skunks tea party.
Agreed, there's no question that the WHO is being very subordinate to the Chinese govt.

Also, I was wondering, I have seen a lot of people all over the web and in the news mention UK strain and South African strain ... isn't that racist? ie, Chinese virus?
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-21, 09:23 AM   #6294
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

I get flu shots each year and got the Pneumonia booster two or three years ago. I was thanking my lucky stars for that booster last Spring.

One week to my first dose of Moderna.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-21, 10:52 AM   #6295
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The number of people waiting more than 12 months to start hospital treatment in England was 224,205 in December.

It's the highest for any calendar month since April 2008, and compares with 1,467 in December 2019

An arthritis drug can be a life-saver for some of the sickest hospital patients with Covid, research shows.

The coronavirus variant first detected in Kent will be the world's dominant strain, the head of the UK's genetic sequencing programme predicts.

Prof Sharon Peacock also says her programme will still be doing research into strains '10 years down the line'

But Covid-19 case rates are continuing to fall in all regions of England, public health figures show.

The government has set out more details of when people with asthma will get the vaccine.

A further 1,001 people have died in the UK within 28 days of a positive coronavirus test, new government figures show.

In Italy, winter ski resorts in Lombardy will reopen next Monday - but at 30% capacity.

Germany's lockdown is to continue until 7 March, but hairdressers will be allowed to reopen from 1 March.

Old 02-11-21, 10:59 AM   #6296
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Germany’s lockdown is to continue until 7 March but hairdressers will be allowed to reopen from 1 March. There's no national agreement on reopening schools so the 16 German states will make their own plans. Several states want to reopen on 22 February and Saxony in the east plans to start opening primary schools and daycare next Monday.

Belgian hairdressers reopen on Saturday and the Belgian Beauty Federation, which represents 700 hairdressers, has appealed to Dutch people living north of the border not to come looking for a hair-cut. The group’s leader Mario Blokken says: "We want to stop population groups who don’t usually come into contact mingling together."

A big French project to build a fourth terminal at Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris has been scrapped, partly for environmental reasons but also because the pandemic has dramatically reduced air traffic. Environmental transition minister Barbara Pompili says the plan, which would have cost at least €7bn (£6bn), was obsolete.

For the first time this winter ski resorts in Italy’s northern province of Lombardy will reopen next Monday, but at 30% capacity. Lombardy was at the centre of the start of the pandemic in Europe and Italy's infection rate is still high - with 12,956 new cases reported yesterday.

The Portuguese parliament is set to approve a decree from President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa to renew the country’s state of emergency for another 15 days from Monday. The president cites continuing pressure on hospitals despite a lockdown in place since mid-January.

Old 02-11-21, 11:16 AM   #6297
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 02-11-21, 11:19 AM   #6298
Skybird
Soaring

The eU's Super-Uschi apologized to the EU parliament - not the people of the European states - for the vaccination buying mess. She said that maybe they were late (what did she mean with "maybe"?), and that they overestimated production capacities, and that maybe they were naive (good bet!) to assume that what was signed in treaty would be delivered (in case of AZ she hid that they had negotiated a treaty to whose wording they did not pay the attention it deserved).

No word from her on her attempt to mess with the Ireland issue in a bid to hide her respjnsibility, and her atempt to blame her guilt on others.

In Germany, we are used to this behaviour of her. Its an established pattern that follows a red line throughout her "career".

Strangely, or not, she also said that the EU plan was great. Well, what else to expect from a planned economy theoreticist. Its never the state plan that is the problem. Its always the fault of the others. Its always a wicked reality not complying with abstract theory.

Of course no word on that originally it all was not a case for the EU to stick its nose into in the first. Health policy is respnsibility of the Euzrppean nations themsleves. Not the EU. It were Nanny Merkel and Super-Uschi who wanted to abuse the crisis for pushing more power to the EU.

-----

The Germans meanwhile repeat a mistake they already made once. When they started to suck more than five dosis out of the ampullas by Pfizer, they did not pay attention to the fact that the treaty with Pfizer talked of "dosis", not of ampulles. What egts dleivered, si counte din dosis, not in ampulles. Pfizer increased the price for delievering ampulles, and started to deliver less ampulles, too, so that the word of the treaty was matched again. Since you need special needles for doing the trick and many places do not have them, also some pratcical experiences (many doctors fail to draw the sixth dosis) this led to the absurd situation that in fact Germany lost around 19% of avisalable jabs in this "coup". Has anyone elarned anythign from this? Judge yourself. The treaties are the sdame, are unchanged. Germany now starts to draw a seventh dosis out of one ampulla. Guess what will happen next! Pfizer will deliver less ampullas, so that the agreed doses match agaiubnl and will raise th eprice per ampulla. Germany will have less jabs avialable again becasue it wil become veen harder to draw that seventh shot from one ampulla.

Nothing beats the entertainment value of a good plan going over board!

Moral of the story: there are no shortcuts for escape from a badly negotiated treaty to whose important details not sufficient attention was paid.
Old 02-11-21, 11:24 AM   #6299
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Consider yourself lucky, then. I've never gotten a flu shot either.

Agreed, there's no question that the WHO is being very subordinate to the Chinese govt.

Also, I was wondering, I have seen a lot of people all over the web and in the news mention UK strain and South African strain ... isn't that racist? ie, Chinese virus?
I have never gotten a flu shot. I do know a few that have but still got the flu.

Using South African and UK strain in the news is of course racist. No wait, the one we can not name is in FL now. So using South African and UK strain is descriptive and acceptable.
Old 02-11-21, 12:11 PM   #6300
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
I have never gotten a flu shot. I do know a few that have but still got the flu.

Using South African and UK strain in the news is of course racist. No wait, the one we can not name is in FL now. So using South African and UK strain is descriptive and acceptable.
It's all about building antibodies to limit the severity. Each season the flu shot is tailored to what strains are determined to pose the greatest threat. I'm required to get the shots for work and I still get slightly ill at some point, but not this past season. I think that is entirely due to masks and hand hygiene measures that Covid-19 has brought among us.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan