SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-03-21, 08:05 AM   #6211
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

I heard the AstraZeneca and SputnikV vaccine are different from the mRNA vaccines. They use an Adenovirus delivery system. Now, what exactly does that mean I'm not all that sure lol. But it is something that has been around and tried on the human body for many many years. So we're confident there will be no adverse side effects years later.

The mRNA vaccines such Moderna and Pfzer use a newer lipid nanoparticle delivery system. It is just as effective, and it can be modified and developed faster. Now nobody is expecting any long term problems, but because it is so new we dont know yet exactly what, if any, the effects will be seven ten years down the road.

Only time will tell if buddahaid will grow a third big toe from his forehead.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 02-03-21 at 08:38 AM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-21, 08:25 AM   #6212
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

A gentleman 3 doors down from me was taken to hospital yesterday evening with china virus symptoms, our 50 bungalow complex has been locked down like fort knox since.
I can't blame the authorities for taking such stringent measures as the oldest resident is a 103 yrs old, no visitors are allowed in the complex grounds for at least a fortnight, this yellow peril is getting closer and closer.
Old 02-03-21, 08:55 AM   #6213
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
I heard the AstraZeneca and SputnikV vaccine are different from the mRNA vaccines. They use an Adenovirus delivery system. Now, what exactly does that mean I'm not all that sure lol. But it is something that has been around and tried on the human body for many many years. So we're confident there will be no adverse side effects years later.

The mRNA vaccines such Moderna and Pfzer use a newer lipid nanoparticle delivery system. It is just as effective, and it can be modified and developed faster. Now nobody is expecting any long term problems, but because it is so new we dont know yet exactly what, if any, the effects will be seven ten years down the road.

Sputnik-V compares to the principles behind the Astra-Zeneca vaccine, but it is as effective as the mRNA vaccines by Biontech/Pfizer and Moderna, while not being as sensitive to temperature. So it takes all what is positive and avoids all what is negative. Also, it costs less than half the price for the mRNA vaccines, and is moderately more expensive thna the AZ vaccine (German media mentioin a price tag of below 10 coins). That makes the Russian vaccine a real good candidate, as I understand it. The Russians have a real hot iron in the fire. We need to know about their production capacities, however.

China and Russia dleiver a race with their campaigns on the Balkans. The Balkans, the EU's backyard, so to speak. The EU must sit and watch, impotent to do anything.

If I would have the choice, i probably currently would prefer Sputnik-V for myself.

Last edited by Skybird; 02-03-21 at 09:05 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-21, 09:12 AM   #6214
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
If I would have the choice, i probably currently would prefer Sputnik-V for myself.
Why? How old again were you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird
I'm sorry to say, but the elder have no priority for me. Ecopnomically, they are ballast, thats bitter to sak,y but thats how it is.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-21, 09:28 AM   #6215
Skybird
Soaring

Hm...? I'm about to become 54, and I have no choice anyway, and if it is up to our politicians, we will never have a choice on vaccines anyway. The all-wise party will decide it for us.
Old 02-03-21, 12:14 PM   #6216
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Ten million people have now received their first dose of the Covid vaccine, says the health secretary.

A further 1,322 people have died in the UK within 28 days of a positive coronavirus test.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson is to lead a Downing Street briefing at 17:00 GMT

He will then lead a "national clap" for Captain Sir Tom Moore, who died yesterday aged 100, and health workers at 18:00 GMT

A vaccine to tackle Covid-19 variants could be ready to deploy by the autumn, the team behind the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine says.

The film Contagion inspired UK's vaccine strategy, Health Secretary Matt Hancock tells LBC

A significant number of players competing in the Australian Open are told to self-isolate, after a hotel quarantine worker tests positive.

People should not sing or chant at the Tokyo Olympic Games in July, officials say in new guidelines.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-21, 12:16 PM   #6217
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Average for cases, deaths and hospital numbers in UK all down
The government's daily coronavirus figures suggest cases, deaths and hospital numbers are all falling in the UK.

These are the following seven-day averages for each category - in comparison with the week before:

Cases: 156,771 - down 52,530 (-25.1%)

Deaths: 7,448 - down 1,149 (-13.4%)

Patients admitted to hospital: 20,946 - down 5,990 (-22.2%)

Old 02-03-21, 12:27 PM   #6218
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The French media is asking questions about why a French pharma firm has promised 100 million doses of its in-development Covid vaccine to the UK, when not a single order has yet been placed by France or the EU.

The Franco-Austrian Valneva - based near Nantes - has had substantial UK government financial aid of £14m to scale up its production site at Livingston in Scotland.

It also had UK help to roll out phase one and two trials of its viral vector vaccine. Results of these are due in the coming weeks and it’s hoped production could start in late summer.

Valneva director general Franck Grimaud said on BFMTV: "When we announced that we were developing our vaccine last April, we contacted several governments and institutions. It was the UK which was the first to give a comprehensive response, and we signed a pre-accord with them in July."

"It’s a failure for France. It hurts to see this beautiful business taking off for the UK," says Christelle Morancais, president of the Pays de la Loire region, who says she alerted the French government last June. "This company had solutions. [French President Emmanuel] Macron says we are at war - well in war you need different methods from our bureaucratic, technocratic form-filling."

Les Echos financial daily says: "Why has the French government not expressed interest in the Valneva project, leaving it to the British government to offer financial support and - logically therefore - reap the benefits a privileged partner?"

Old 02-03-21, 12:29 PM   #6219
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

A 26-strong German military medical team arrives in Lisbon today to help alleviate the Covid bed crisis in Portugal's hospitals. They’re also bringing medical equipment including ventilators – Portugal has over 850 patients in intensive care. Some patients could be flown to Austria for treatment.

French President Emmanuel Macron says anyone in France who wants to be vaccinated will have a jab by the end of the summer. He’s also promised 80% of care home residents will be inoculated by early next month.

France is among several European countries whose health authorities have recommended the AstraZeneca drug should not be given to older people. Germany, Austria and Sweden have all limited it for over-65s, Poland for over-60s and Belgium for over-55s.

Italy is grappling with a Covid and an economic crisis so President Sergio Mattarella is set to ask the man credited with steering Europe through the eurozone crisis, Mario Draghi, to take over as prime minister. He’ll formally ask the former head of the European Central Bank at lunchtime to try to form a national unity government in an attempt to avoid early elections.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel admitted last night that it “rankles” that the UK, US and Israel are moving faster than EU countries in vaccinating their populations but said nothing had gone wrong with the EU’s procurement of vaccines. Germany will vaccinate 10 million people by the end of March, she told German TV, and she’s urged Germans to "hold on a while longer”.

The Dutch lockdown has been extended until 2 March but Prime Minister Mark Rutte has confirmed that primary schools and childcare facilities will reopen next Monday. A decision on extending a 21:00 curfew has been delayed.

Old 02-03-21, 12:39 PM   #6220
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 02-03-21, 01:37 PM   #6221
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post

To be fair there is only limited experience with the actual vector based vaccines as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Sputnik-V compares to the principles behind the Astra-Zeneca vaccine, but it is as effective as the mRNA vaccines by Biontech/Pfizer and Moderna, while not being as sensitive to temperature. So it takes all what is positive and avoids all what is negative. Also, it costs less than half the price for the mRNA vaccines, and is moderately more expensive thna the AZ vaccine (German media mentioin a price tag of below 10 coins). That makes the Russian vaccine a real good candidate, as I understand it. The Russians have a real hot iron in the fire. We need to know about their production capacities, however.

China and Russia dleiver a race with their campaigns on the Balkans. The Balkans, the EU's backyard, so to speak. The EU must sit and watch, impotent to do anything.

mRNA is more advanced in some ways and I believe is not vulnerable to the problem that the vector based vaccines may experience - the immunity to the vector virus.

Moreover it, in my understanding, does not provide the same side effects (moderate fever etc). So it is not a perfect solution either sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Why? How old again were you?
One of the advantages of Sputnik is that it uses two separate vector viruses (AD-26 and AD-5) to minimise the risk of immunity to the vector, which can be not insignificant, particularly for the older people. My anecdotal experience with Sputnik-V, so far, has been ok.
Old 02-03-21, 01:55 PM   #6222
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 02-03-21, 03:20 PM   #6223
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
People should not sing or chant at the Tokyo Olympic Games in July, officials say in new guidelines.
That display of collective stupidity should not even take place in the first. Corrupt high-handed IOC fat cats own enough money already, they must not assist in launching another global wave of Covid-19 just to fill more gold into their sacks.

And if it gets carried out nevertheless, there should be no international tourism and no audience, and certainly no TV broadcasting: to make Japan pay for this criminal display of arrogance. I see a real chance there: to slay the dragon of over-commercilaised Olympics and biog business abusing sports and biog money corrupting the spirit of it, and instead starting new, and smaller, and ideal-focussed.

Too big. Too much. Too costly. Too much of everything. And I am sick of needing to pay for it by my mandatory German TV taxes.
Old 02-03-21, 08:30 PM   #6224
Skybird
Soaring

For the time being, switzerland does not approve the AstraZeneca vaccine. The methodological flaws in the earlier studies seem to backfire against the company. The Swiss want to wait for results from still running studies.

https://translate.google.com/transla...-zu-ld.1599782

Before, Germany and some other countries refused to allow the vaccine for over 65 year old, again quoting lacking data, and also a claimed apparent lack of efficiency in older people.

During early phase 1 and 2 trials, the vaccine caused serious sideeffects in up to a quarter of patients, sewriosu enough that the trials were interrupted and some probands beign in seriosu troubles, which the media did almost not report at all and that were ignored by politicians.

These assessments of crticial nations are in stark contrast to latest celebrations of the vaccine by latest British data published in The Lancet .

Switzerland mostly ordered the Moderna vaccine. The Biontech Pfizer vaccine does not play a big role in the Swiss vaccination strategy.

AZ claims its vaccine not only protects the vaccinated, but also significantly interrupts the spreading of the virus by vaccinated people who do not get ill themselves anymore, but still can infect others.

In Manaus, Brazil, the hefty dimension of the second wave raises doubt son the optimsim scinetists hold over possible herd immunity. In the firts wave, up to three quarter sof people got the vorus and formed antibody reactions. But during the second wave, even more people got serious ill and died. Severla theories why this is so are being debated, no general consensus has been reached so far.
Old 02-04-21, 07:38 AM   #6225
Skybird
Soaring

A history lesson.

https://translate.google.com/transla...off-anbot.html

Its always political, too.

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan