SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-30-21, 10:55 AM   #6151
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

The mayor of Hamburg says the chancellor's office informed him that now the vaccine deliveries by Moderna to Germany also get reduced.
Old 01-30-21, 12:02 PM   #6152
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

A further 23,275 coronavirus cases have been recorded in the UK, according to government data.

That's down on yesterday's figure of 29,079 positive tests.

The number of deaths recorded today - 1,200 is only slightly lower than Friday's total of 1,245.

This takes the total number of people to die within 28 days of a positive test to 105,571.

The number of people who have received their first vaccine is 8,378,940 and 480,432 people have received their second dose.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-21, 12:14 PM   #6153
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Cabinet Office minister Michael Gove says the EU has agreed a "reset" on relations with Northern Ireland is needed.

On Friday, the EU reversed its decision to trigger Article 16 of the Northern Ireland Protocol - which allows the EU and UK to choose to suspend any aspects they consider are causing "economic, societal or environmental difficulties" - following condemnation from London, Dublin and Belfast.

The move came amid a deepening dispute over delays to the production and distribution of Covid vaccines across the EU.

Gove says: "I think the European Union recognises that they made a mistake in triggering Article 16 which would've meant the reimposition of a border on the island of Ireland.

"But now the European Union has stepped back.

"I've spoken to the European Commission vice-president Maros Sefcovic about this and we both agreed that we need a reset, that we need to put the people of Northern Ireland first."

Cabinet Office minister Michael Gove has said the EU has recognised it "made a mistake" after reversing an emergency clause in the Brexit deal to control Covid vaccine exports.

And he says he is "confident" the UK is "on track" to deliver 15 million jabs by 15 February.

"Last night the Prime Minister talked to President von der Leyen, the President of the European Commission, and made clear that we need to have the contracts that have been entered into honoured properly", he said.

"And it was made clear that that supply would not be interrupted so we can proceed with our plans and make sure that our so far highly-successful vaccination programme can continue."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-55869476

Old 01-30-21, 12:32 PM   #6154
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 01-30-21, 02:19 PM   #6155
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post

According to yesterday's news from official government source (U.S. CDC)

Vaccinations in the U.S. began Dec. 14 with health-care workers, and so far 28.9 million shots have been given, according to a state-by-state tally by Bloomberg and data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In the last week, an average of 1.30 million doses per day were administered.

Across the U.S., 8.8 doses have been administered for every 100 people, and 59% of the shots delivered to states have been administered.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-21, 05:04 PM   #6156
Skybird
Soaring

Local vaccination centre in my town is shut down since - well, since as long as I realised they built one. The testing site of the university hospital UKM - a huge tent they built - I sometimes pass by when I drive to my parents, but it is shut down as well most of the time. Very useful.

The registration system for getting a date, is typically German - complicated. Elder people are overloaded with it. The system also is bogged down. You enter all your data or that for the older perosns you help out, and then get told that there are no vaccination dates available. I tried it, knowing that currently my parents due to their age below 80 would not get vaccinated anyway. But I trtied with entering an imagined perosn age 85. No chance. You type all the stuff, and then they tell you that the system is shut down. Clever sequence.

And this morning I red that some German health authorities insist on that remaining doses and complete flasks of vaccines meant for institutions should be destroyed instead of being vaccinated at random to people on location, if shots or flasks show up to remain at the end of vaccination the target audfience there (people 80+ years). It is not fair and not just if other people could "win" random vaccination beyond the time tables and supreme planning schemes the central planners have set up on relevant jobs, age structures, system-relevant workers. This should not be, it is not social. Its better to destroy remaining flasks instead of vaccinating them to anyone around. There must be at least this bit of justice!

This after the EU allowed the AZ vaccine for older people beyond 65 years, where as the Germans have banned the use for peoploe older than 65, quoting not sufficient data on that the vaccine is effective for these. The german monkeys even had the nerve to criticise the EMA for its decision that was made in the light of the ongoing emergency. AZ may have slept and indeed produced small data samples on these old age groups, but - Hello...? January, 2021? Pandemic, havbe you noticed there is one...? Lockdown, need for vaccines, cataclysmic economic costs...? Hello Germany - somebody at home? I someone on the line over there? Hello - Germany, are you still there, are you still alive...???

Die sind doch völlig bescheuert, diese dämlichen Deutschen.

The country should be declared a forbidden zone by the UN, a brainworm must have wiped out all intelligent life over there, only zombies and hollow apparatschiks survived. Do not enter, do not approach.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-30-21 at 05:21 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-21, 05:36 PM   #6157
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Your reply has nothing to do with my suggestion before, and is purely rhetorical.
Maybe you reread the post i answered to.

re Jim while i think invoking article 16 was not the brightest idea, it is not all so easy as it looks. And why should the UK have the top position in screwing things up

Fact check: Is AstraZeneca in breach of its EU contract?

How can delivery bottlenecks occur when the EU paid millions to boost AstraZeneca's production?
DW fact check: Not verifiable.

Is the UK receiving its deliveries of the vaccine without any problems?
DW fact check: True.

Is AstraZeneca in breach of its contract with the EU?
DW fact check: Probably true.

Is the AstraZeneca vaccine less effective in elderly people?
DW fact check: Inconclusive.

Further explanation in the link below.
https://www.dw.com/en/fact-check-is-...act/a-56360480

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-21, 06:53 PM   #6158
Skybird
Soaring

^ Or in brief: how can plans and intentions not be honoured by reality.

Because plans are plans and intentions are intentions. Practical reality then is somethign very different again. That's the problem with planned economies and command-politics. Just planning to eat a cake is not enough. It must be baked. And currently the one oven has a problem.

When I go into a bakery and want to buy a certain kind of bread, and its out, this does not give me claim that the customer before me who bought the last bread of that type, has to share his with me.

Wer zuerst kommt, mahlt zuerst.

The EU planned the perfect plan instead. A good plan is a good plan. It just has to work.
Old 01-30-21, 07:18 PM   #6159
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Second shot this morning about seven hours ago and I'm slowly starting to feel a bit achy. Tomorrow I'm expecting to feel crummy based on what others experienced.
Are you still okay Buddahaid?

No red spots around your ankles or feeling dizzy?

Let us know ... someone in Congress just got the second shot and got Covid-19 anyway
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-21, 07:58 PM   #6160
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Doing fine Lois, why do you ask?

I'm perfectly fine and unlike some others the second shot was less trouble. I felt bad that evening and the next day but that was it. The arm pain was less trouble altogether.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-21, 11:23 PM   #6161
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
A man's experience with getting the Sputnik-V jab.

https://www.dw.com/en/my-experience-...ine/a-56391327

The key parts here:
- he got his shots during testing
- antibody test showed him being negative

This sounds like it could have been a placebo. But yes, human immune systems are strange beasts and things happen.
Old 01-31-21, 12:52 AM   #6162
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post

Let us know ... someone in Congress just got the second shot and got Covid-19 anyway
But that's the thing, isn't it?

The vaccine won't stop you catching it, and it won't stop you spreading it.

It will hopefully stop you dying from it.......... unless it doesn't.
d@rk51d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-21, 05:32 AM   #6163
Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
No red spots around your ankles or feeling dizzy?
He'll begin to post Microsoft links all the time, and create a Bill Gates cult of course

Regarding catching the virus "a second time", when you get vaccinated it takes two shots and even after the second one your immunosystem will need a bit of time to build up defences. If you catch it during this time it is bad luck, but still better than without vaccination.

I am not sure whether you can even verify the virus before you have the antibodies as a reaction to it(?)

Last edited by Catfish; 01-31-21 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-31-21, 05:36 AM   #6164
Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by d@rk51d3 View Post
But that's the thing, isn't it?
The vaccine won't stop you catching it, and it won't stop you spreading it.
It will hopefully stop you dying from it.......... unless it doesn't.
The vaccine will not stop the virus contacting you if you get infected, but your immunosystem will be prepared, so you will not even get the symptoms. It will also be responsible for keeping the infection low and short by instantly fighting it, so spreading the virus is highly improbable.
The various vaccines have some 90 percent effectivity, so a few will still have problems. On the other hand when a population is completely vaccinated, where can you be infected anymore? If only 50 percent of a population gets vaccinated.. the rest will have a problem, yes.

Last edited by Catfish; 01-31-21 at 05:47 AM.
Old 01-31-21, 08:50 AM   #6165
Skybird
Soaring

The effects of vaccines vary with age, so does the dosis that get vaccinated. Older people tend to get lower doses. Every vaccination has a (low) risk for complications (drama, drama...), the point is this risk must be weighted against the benefit, and by that comparison vaccines usually are a good idea. But the efficiency to which they are effective in the individual, varies with age and individual health conditions. Older people have higher risks for complications from vaccines, and so their vaccination dose must get gets reduced.

Its like this not just with the covid jabs, but with practically every vaccine, AFAIK. Its not as causal as pressing a button an the room light goes on.

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan