Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-01-20, 02:21 AM   #601
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Thank you for your reporting Traveller ... a lot of your video's were reporting
from Costco (which is all over the world) with it's main office in Kirkland, Washington.

The same place the only death from the Covid-19 has taken place in the USA.

Probably just a coincidence ...

I would worry about being followed home if your stocking up on that much stuff as in the video's.

Where are people going to put everything?

One room for just toilet paper floor to ceiling
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-20, 03:25 AM   #602
Traveller
Captain

Downloads: 89

Toilet paper will become the new gold soon.

Last edited by Traveller; 03-01-20 at 03:41 AM.
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-20, 06:51 AM   #603
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
I think the problem is that many users find it less effective because they don't take high enough doses when sick. But like you said, we don't know yet whether echinacea would have any effect on this new coronavirus. Theoretically, it should because it's behaves a lot like influenza and cold viruses in many ways. Again, we just don't know yet. On a positive note, echinacea is particularly effective against viral respiratory infections, so it's certainly worth a try if infected. But even if research does prove it to be effective for treating this new coronavirus, we'll probably never hear about it in the mainstream media because the pharmaceutical companies cannot patent a natural herb, meaning no profits.

Illinois announces another 'presumptive' positive case of coronavirus.
https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-ne...hnk/index.html
What works, works, and I am not denying the effectiveness of placebo effects. But ten or twelve yearsd ago they did a huge mega-survey of resewrch papers and studies on Eccinacea, and foudn there were many such studies claimign this and that - but were of horrific methodological quality, rendering them wortheless for the most. This is not really a surprise, since the academic standard is ruined anyway, it seems, and most of these studies were paid for by prducers of such drops and pills with Eccinacea.

Thats why I say that the effectiveness of Eccinacea is not proven well. The opposite is true. Still, if people beleive it works, and they become better, it is not improtant if it is the drug or the mind or just time. Placebo effects do work a lot, and plenty of the ordinary doctor's daily routines probably also is placebo-based effects, the modenr interpretation of Shaman with bongos and theatre play, just with time and talking instead of bongogs, and white coats instead of theatre play with masks and screaming.

In the end it really is stunnign to realise how little we really know about the self-healing power of the body.
Old 03-01-20, 08:04 AM   #604
Traveller
Captain

Skybird, I understand what you are saying. But many, many people that take it when sick with cold or flu claim that it does work well (including me and my wife). The difference in speed of recovery for us is amazing between taking it or not. This certainly is not a placebo effect in my opinion. And both of our cats have Rhinovirus disease, which is an incurable respiratory disease that causes frequent and severe secondary lung infections. When I give them enchinacea, it greatly reduces their symptoms almost immediately. And cats don't know the difference between a placebo effect or not. Anyway, I trust anecdotal and first-hand experience any day over any research study.
Old 03-01-20, 08:40 AM   #605
Traveller
Captain

Skybird, I have to respectfully disagree. While some research studies show that echinacea is ineffective, many other studies show that it is effective. But none of that really matters, because me and my wife have both experienced first-hand just how well it works for us when we become sick. And both of our cats have herpesvirus, which is an incurable cat disease that causes frequent secondary lung infections. When their symptoms are bad (severe coughing, extreme nasal discharge, loss of appetite, and malaise) and I give them echinacea, they begin to improve almost immediately, with symptoms almost completely gone usually within 2-3 days. But if I don't give it to them, they remain sick for weeks. That certainly is not a placebo effect.

Last edited by Traveller; 03-01-20 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-01-20, 10:43 AM   #606
Skybird
Soaring

We must agree to disagree. I simply refer to a huge metastudy which was published in 2007 or 2008 or 2009, in that timeframe it was I think, which checked the existing studies until then and found the huge majority of them sufferign from massive methodologica faults and errors, and bias due to many of these studies' paymasters being the producers of the drug.

I admitted that placebo effects do exist, and they are for real. No doctor with a sane mind would deny its existence. And sometimes it works for stunnign effect. I just question that the drug indeed unfolds a chemical, causal, material effect. If placebo effects help, they help, and I have nothing against that at all. I know too well that their possible supportive effect is real.

Homeopathy, as another example, is somethingn I find difficult to tolerate, because while here again placebo effects may be at work and then may do some pain-easing effect indeed, it is absurd to claim, like many ideologsts do, that it works on a material, causal, mechanical basis. Where there is no more active agent included, no active agent can cause an real chemical or physical effect in the body, claiming that the non-existing agent does casue this effect as if it still were there simply is against all what science stands for. It simply is not possible. But totally absurd it becomes if homeopathy-using people then claim it works because they see it working on their pets. That is no methodologically valid observation and no scientific statement, but just a subjective, a highly subjective opinion based on anything but systematical, unbiased perception. Again, a placebo effect may be at work in this situation - but it is not active on the animal, which does not know the difference between curing drug and food and pointless pills, but the placebo effect again is active - on the imagination of the pet owner.

I do not claim eccinacea is completely ineffective, I am not qualified to make such a bold statement, I just refer to a metastudy putting much of what in past years has been attributed to Eccinacea in almost miraculous efficiency and effect, into massive doubt. The methodology behind very many studies done until the late first decade of this century, is so weak that the studies did not allow to make these claims they rise. Say the authors of said metastudy. But that is the purpose of doing metastudies: to evaluate the quality and methodologicla corretcness of alreayd existing strudies on.

There are such hypes time and again, on vitmasnicne poills, high doeses of Vit-C or Vit-Dx, Infludo (a German homeopathic water with alcohol in it), or herbal essences and thing slike Eccinacea. The market blooms and blossoms, and very huge money is in it. I have used Eccinacea in earlier, past years myself, and never was certain it made a difefrnce, and when i did not use it anymore, I felt no difference and my colds went the same way as always. It did no harm to me, and it might help some people for whatever a reaosn is, so fine, try it and see what it does for you.

Just do not leave it to Eccinacea alone if you think you gut struck hard. Because that holds a chance that maybe it will do damage for sure: when you leave your treatment to Eccinacea alone while in fact you would need a more potent cure. Depends on what it is that you picked up.

P.S. I am not against phytopharmacy at all. If it works, then for heaven's sake use it, why not. I am pragmatist there. But I am also a Nazi when it comes to methodology and its abuse to boost sales numbers of ideological paradigms - then I turn into a beast. And when takign oublic media, the abuse of these methods is widespread, unfortunatelly. Money runs the world. That is true for the academical circus as well, and many are willing (or are in need) to sell their souls. In the field of ecotrophology (science of foods) and dietary supplements, corruption of science apparently now is the norm, and claim can be risen without needing to show substantial evidence for it.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-01-20 at 10:53 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-20, 10:47 AM   #607
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Twelve more patients in England have tested positive for coronavirus, taking the total number of UK cases to 35.

Three patients were close contacts of a known case which was transmitted in the UK, chief medical officer Prof Chris Whitty said.

One person from Essex had "no relevant travel" and it was unclear how they had contracted the virus.

Out of the remaining eight cases, six had recently returned from Italy and two had been to Iran.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51697991

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-20, 10:59 AM   #608
Skybird
Soaring

Hip hip hooray, we are in the game - my hometown has its first confirmed case.

https://www.muensterschezeitung.de/L...ll-in-Muenster

51 years, returned from a trip to Iran.
Old 03-01-20, 11:34 AM   #609
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I fear we may all be getting our turn soon enough.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-20, 12:13 PM   #610
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

This year or any of the following. It's here to stay.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-20, 03:48 PM   #611
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
In late July 2003, the World Health Organization concluded the SARS outbreak was over. Since then, nine cases of SARS infections have been reported, but they occurred as a result of laboratory accidents in Singapore and Taiwan and from exposure to an animal source. No other cases of SARS have been identified anywhere else in the world. Research published in 2013 in the Journal of Infectious Diseases concluded that, by all accounts, SARS seemed to be gone.

As Dr. John Campbell mentioned that He was relieved China's number of COVID-19 infections appear to be dropping. Though that's a good thing he's very interested to see what will happen once China lifts their quarantine.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-20, 05:09 PM   #612
Traveller
Captain

Skybird, some herbal supplements do work, and some don't. Let's just leave it at that, because I don't want to get into an argument over it.

Two more virus cases confirmed in Seattle area.
Quote:
On Sunday, the Public Health Department for Seattle and King County in Washington announced two additional confirmed cases of the COVID-19 virus in King County residents, upping the total number of confirmed cases in the area to six.

The Public Health Department for King County has said one of the four previously reported cases is of a U.S. Postal Service employee.

Four of the cases had already been reported, and one of those was of a man in his 50s who passed away, the state confirmed on Saturday.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/01/coro...r-weekend.html

And so it begins.

Last edited by Traveller; 03-01-20 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-01-20, 06:21 PM   #613
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

One case reported today in next door Rhode Island. School administrator had just returned from Italy. Luckily he hadn't gone near the school yet.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-20, 07:33 PM   #614
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 131

With all the fears about the virus I made a big decision today.
Nearly 10 years ago I got a DUI on my SpeedMaster and parked it.
It was a self punishment thing and I was never going to ride again.
My Wife has rode her Triumph through all those years and understood my view.
I decided today to pull out my Triumph and spend time beside her on the road.
I don't fear what may come to be but I would greatly regret what may come to be.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-20, 08:05 PM   #615
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Amen, only recommendation Im aware of was to reduce social gatherings and contact. Not to barricade yourself in an under bunker and live like a hermit. Go have fun, see the sights do something you haven't done in awhile.

Come spring I plan on trying my luck panning for gold in the Carolina's. Slavery wasn't the only reason why we had a civil war. There's gold in them hills from Georgia up past Baltimore.

Looking for Au
https://mrdata.usgs.gov/nmra/map-us.html#home

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan