SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-29-21, 05:14 PM   #586
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Tried to find an English article without any luck. So here is the Danish article translated-A part of it since it's behind paywall

"
While the Taliban are advancing rapidly in Afghanistan, the United States has begun targeting airstrikes on weapons and vehicles left behind by US forces and the Afghan government army.

According to the US television station NBC, most of the US airstrikes in Afghanistan are now aimed at abandoned equipment.

Among other things, drone strikes are being carried out on abandoned equipment, vehicles and weapons that the Taliban have captured from the Afghan military and police.

"It is very logical that the material you can not take with you, you will seek to destroy so that it does not fall into the hands of the enemy. It's also an indication that the game is about to be lost when you start on the kind that
"

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-21, 07:42 AM   #587
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 390

Rockets fired towards Afghanistan’s Kabul airport: Live News
Several rockets were fired towards Afghanistan’s Kabul international airport but were intercepted by a missile defence system.
Old 08-30-21, 10:36 AM   #588
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

This kind of stuff happens way too often and is the reason why the US does not win "hearts & minds" with its super-cleverly planned drone warfare.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-58380791

A US drone strike targeting a suicide bomber ended up killing 10 members of one family, including six children, surviving relatives have told the BBC.

Happened way too often in Afghanistan and Iraq as well. Thats why I keep on saying hightech cannot replace HUMINT and boots on the ground.
Old 08-30-21, 10:48 AM   #589
Skybird
Soaring

The Bundeswehr evacuated around 4000 Afghans (of around 5000+ people in total). Of these only around ten percent were local staff and families.

It is estimated that regarding the Germans, around 40000 local Afghan staff and their families still sit in Afghanistan.

Quite some Afghans were evacuated. Just not those whom it was claimed the mission was about.
Old 08-30-21, 11:29 AM   #590
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

In a little while, the United States is out of Afghanistan, and then the true holy war begins

This was the headlines in a Danish newspaper. Did not read the text though.

Markus

Old 08-30-21, 12:00 PM   #591
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

The US warns evacuation efforts are at a "particularly dangerous time"

A Pentagon spokesman says the "threat stream is still real, it's still active"

The US is due to complete its withdrawal from Afghanistan on 31 August after 20 years of war.

The US military says is investigating reports a drone strike intended to stop an attack on the airport killed civilians.

A family of 10 were killed in Sunday's strike, including six children, their relatives say.

Several rockets were fired at Kabul airport on Monday.

Militants of Islamic State-Khorosam say the group was behind the attack.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-21, 01:55 PM   #592
Skybird
Soaring

To say i find it absolutely inappropriate, would be an understatement, but it certainly is illustrative for the infantile German Zeitgeist. The photo shows the German defence minister and the German general commanding the evacuation in location at Kabul, at the welcome-back (this time they ran one!) after the last Airbus had returned to Germany.

No, they are not married, no friends, not family, and no lovers. They are general and his superior minister.
Old 08-30-21, 03:50 PM   #593
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

The last American soldier has left Afghanistan. Now there ain't any foreign troops in Afghanistan.

(Well there's a chance there are some Navy Seals there)

Markus

Old 08-30-21, 06:52 PM   #594
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
The last American soldier has left Afghanistan. Now there ain't any foreign troops in Afghanistan.

(Well there's a chance there are some Navy Seals there)

Markus
Untrue. There are over 250 Americans that the Biden turds just abandoned. They also left every military working dog.

The Biden administration and the military leadership are complete garbage and it sickens me that they are going to get away with it
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-21, 08:12 PM   #595
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
Untrue. There are over 250 Americans that the Biden turds just abandoned. They also left every military working dog.

The Biden administration and the military leadership are complete garbage and it sickens me that they are going to get away with it

250 is what they're saying publicly. Gohmert and some other GoP congressman were saying today on the radio that they're being told in briefings the number may be an order of magnitude higher.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-21, 08:37 PM   #596
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
250 is what they're saying publicly. Gohmert and some other GoP congressman were saying today on the radio that they're being told in briefings the number may be an order of magnitude higher.
I think the estimates are well over a 1000. It's interesting our govt was still handing out billions in contracts to contractors there during Trump and even under Biden until April of this year. We had about 6100 US citizens working there listed of June this year. My friend's son works for a contractor there and got stuck in one of the southern providences when the Taliban overran it. His last call home 2 days ago he said "they hadn't heard shiate from the State Dept."

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-21, 08:45 PM   #597
August
Wayfaring Stranger

We won't know the whole story for a long time. Good luck to your friends son Armistead.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-21, 10:20 PM   #598
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
I think the estimates are well over a 1000. It's interesting our govt was still handing out billions in contracts to contractors there during Trump and even under Biden until April of this year. We had about 6100 US citizens working there listed of June this year. My friend's son works for a contractor there and got stuck in one of the southern providences when the Taliban overran it. His last call home 2 days ago he said "they hadn't heard shiate from the State Dept."
the number of civilian contractors killed in Afghanistan exceeded the number of military deaths... 3814 contractors from many nations are presently accounted for. 2461(incl. the last 11) US military deaths; 66,000 Afghan police and military deaths; approx. 1400 NATO troops; 51,191 Taliban and other Jihadis; 444 Aid workers and 72 journalists. Additionally, 30,177 combat veterans of all forces have committed suicide related to war related PTSS...so far.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 08-31-21 at 10:31 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-21, 12:17 AM   #599
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Thank goodness $80 billion in arms fell into the hands of "peaceful" folks like the Taliban, can you imagine the uproar if it had fallen into the hands of Trump voters instead?

What I wanna know is "Who left the keys in the helicopter ignitions?"
Old 08-31-21, 04:30 AM   #600
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
This kind of stuff happens way too often and is the reason why the US does not win "hearts & minds" with its super-cleverly planned drone warfare.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-58380791

A US drone strike targeting a suicide bomber ended up killing 10 members of one family, including six children, surviving relatives have told the BBC.

Happened way too often in Afghanistan and Iraq as well. Thats why I keep on saying hightech cannot replace HUMINT and boots on the ground.
Could not agree more but its OK because the American government are "investigating it "!

Simon