SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-15-13, 09:18 PM   #46
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
Yep, it's possible, several have done it playing stock.
Yeah, but stock doesn't count.

I don't intend to try to finish the war with one career anymore. I mean, how many patrols would you have to do? ..35..40?? If you play with a high difficulty, it would be very hard, I think. If I can get to a level where my skipper has been well decorated with a good record, I'll send him to a desk job and start again with someone new, at that time in the campaign.
Thread Detour:

Armistead,
I was reading about your namesake last week, in the Civil War. You've probably read it already, but if not, I think it was pretty good; They Met At Gettysburg by Edward J. Stackpole. I picked it up at a local, used bookstore.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-13, 10:12 PM   #47
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

CRAP!

Heavy flooding in bow torpedo at 260 feet. Started sinking.

Ordered back emergency and got the Saury up to Periscope depth....but she's at an 85 degree dive angle. Almost vertical.

Looks like she ain't gonna survive this boys.... We took that lucky DC right on the nose and we didn't take it well.

Going to surface and zig-zag with the deck gun. Crew members are wounded, my boat is sinking near vertically, at PD i have my stern up out of the water, and I've got heavy flooding in Bow Torpedo.

Time to earn some medals.

3 Fubuki Destroyers.... This shall be interesting....

EDIT: Oh god...the moment my stern breaches and I start to come back to a normal angle....a DD rams into my Stern....
Old 03-15-13, 10:43 PM   #48
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

This is it boys....the end....

The final "screw you" from the Japanese... (I was on the deck with the Gun crew when this happened....the moment I saw the boat tip over on it's side was priceless..... For a moment, I felt like I had actually fallen off the side of the boat.)

View from the Command Room. This is the final hour for the USS Saury.

The External Shot of me sinking. The dead men were still on the deck the moment before the picture.

What happened afterwards....

Commander Red October1984 completed 6 War Patrols aboard the S-30 and was lost at sea on his first patrol with the USS Saury in 1942

XXXXXXX

FIN
Old 03-16-13, 01:27 AM   #49
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
Yeah, but stock doesn't count.

I don't intend to try to finish the war with one career anymore. I mean, how many patrols would you have to do? ..35..40?? If you play with a high difficulty, it would be very hard, I think. If I can get to a level where my skipper has been well decorated with a good record, I'll send him to a desk job and start again with someone new, at that time in the campaign.
Thread Detour:

Armistead,
I was reading about your namesake last week, in the Civil War. You've probably read it already, but if not, I think it was pretty good; They Met At Gettysburg by Edward J. Stackpole. I picked it up at a local, used bookstore.

Yea, it takes about 40 patrols to finish a career.

Armistead is a nickname I got years ago as a reenactor, not to be confused with the actor in the movie of course. However, I was a in the movie with our group out of NC. My GGGrandfather was in the battle of Gettysburg. I'm still an avid CW fan and do a lot of relic hunting with my metal detector.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-13, 01:28 AM   #50
fastfed
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
Sounds like you need some practice....

I think I've only been depth charged once since I've started playing SH4 last December.
WEll.. then you must be playing stock.. 1943, finding a convoy in TMO, even if you are days ahead of it, sitting at 500 feet, the second you get to P depth, they are on you..

And you will be depth charged ...
fastfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-13, 01:31 AM   #51
Armistead
Rear Admiral

What happened Red....

You probably could've survived if you would've stayed submerged, but you have to yo yo your sub up and down to control the dive.

Good story though.......

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Old 03-16-13, 01:36 AM   #52
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Look on the bright side...

From the look of that last command room pic, your crew defied gravity itself
Old 03-16-13, 02:30 AM   #53
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
This is it boys....the end....
Really, I'm surprised you managed to even get to the surface. It's ironic that this happened after you survived 6 patrols on the S-30.
Hope your next skipper has better luck.

Quote:
Armistead is a nickname I got years ago as a reenactor, not to be confused with the actor in the movie of course. However, I was a in the movie with our group out of NC. My GGGrandfather was in the battle of Gettysburg. I'm still an avid CW fan and do a lot of relic hunting with my metal detector.
I didn't think you played Armistead in the movie, but rather in reenactments, perhaps? I saw the movie with Martin Sheen as R. E. Lee. It was ok, but I couldn't really buy Sheen as R. E. Lee. I felt I got a lot more out of the book.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-13, 06:54 AM   #54
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
Really, I'm surprised you managed to even get to the surface. It's ironic that this happened after you survived 6 patrols on the S-30.
Hope your next skipper has better luck.

I didn't think you played Armistead in the movie, but rather in reenactments, perhaps? I saw the movie with Martin Sheen as R. E. Lee. It was ok, but I couldn't really buy Sheen as R. E. Lee. I felt I got a lot more out of the book.
The book was much better than the movies, but it was a big fun time making it. We often talk about the CW in General Topics thread.

Old 03-16-13, 11:02 AM   #55
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfed View Post
WEll.. then you must be playing stock.. 1943, finding a convoy in TMO, even if you are days ahead of it, sitting at 500 feet, the second you get to P depth, they are on you..

And you will be depth charged ...
I'm playing TMO and RSRDC.

Usually, the only contacts I get are lone merchants or small warship groups.

I stayed down for a bit and fired at those Fubuki's and went down under the layer. It was a lucky depth charge to the bow torpedo room that caused all the flooding.

I only got to the surface by backing emergency and blowing ballast. Once I got there, I didn't last long. That one DD wasn't even on a DC run. It just rammed me out of the blue.

I'm going to start a new career mid-1942 and continue on. I never will know how many ships were in that Task Force....

It was fun though....very fun....
Old 03-21-13, 08:19 PM   #56
MarkCt
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 45

Playing the same two mods. It's early 1942 and twice I was assigned to the slot for traffic traveling through at night and twice now I haven't had one contact. With no surface radar Ive been using that little time delay to try to detect something near me but I've found nothing. I've been staying in the patrol circle which is in the center of the slot. Any other tips?
MarkCt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-13, 10:17 PM   #57
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCt View Post
Playing the same two mods. It's early 1942 and twice I was assigned to the slot for traffic traveling through at night and twice now I haven't had one contact. With no surface radar Ive been using that little time delay to try to detect something near me but I've found nothing. I've been staying in the patrol circle which is in the center of the slot. Any other tips?
I don't recommend going into the Slot at all. All the bad things happen to me in the Slot. Try up north and around the Truk area. When mid to late '42 rolls around, just avoid the Slot. I lost several careers to fast moving Task Forces running through the Slot. There is always more than one Task Force around somewhere it seems like.

Don't always go where your ordered. Experiment a little. Get a feel for the South Pacific. When all else fails, I go and sit in the Truk Harbor by day and sink a whole lot of tonnage at night after the moon sets.
Old 03-22-13, 05:34 AM   #58
MarkCt
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 45

I'm actually on my way back from Truk. I sank the carrier in the harbor there because I was bumed at not finding anything the past two times in the slot area. Hunting, whether you find something or not is part of the game.
MarkCt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-13, 07:16 AM   #59
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCt View Post
I'm actually on my way back from Truk. I sank the carrier in the harbor there because I was bumed at not finding anything the past two times in the slot area. Hunting, whether you find something or not is part of the game.
That's very true....

I've hunted all over the Solomons and other South Pacific Areas and the South China Sea.

Eventually, I'll get to Japan.
Old 10-31-13, 10:42 AM   #60
vamac53
Sailor man

Downloads: 4

after finishing 3 patrols, coming back to Pearl, they keep sending my boat back out the very next day for more action in July 1943... what does a crew gotta do to get some leave. a little R & R is great, but havent seen any.

Mike Barbel 580
vamac53 is offline   Reply With Quote