SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-26-10, 01:17 PM   #5626
Marshal
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Can someone help me? I installed NewUIs_TDC_5_9_0_ByTheDarkWraith. Before, i was playing SH4 and i remember how in map-mode i could set bearing, range, angle, speed and than i just click to the button and the it start automatically trace target (of course if information that i entered was correct).So by only using sonar and staying in map-mode i can fire the target. So it seems like it locking the target... it changes parameters that i have entered..and if the target will follow the same course with the same speed,when i can fire any moment i want and firing (shooting) calculations will be right. I can fire without visual contact. Your mod also has option to set TDC parameters in map-mode. First i click to activate manual TDC (button changes from red to green), when it enter target information. But i don't understand, how can i make TDC to start follow my target. I fought, when i will click in TDC button again (it will become red) and it will start TDC... but i was wrong ((( range, bearing, angle still are static and do not changes(((( I am wondering is it possible to do what i want in SH5, and if so... what i am doing wrong? I hope someone can answer my question.
Marshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-10, 03:34 PM   #5627
pfeillant
Watch

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
what do you mean by 'real depth under the keel'?

v5.9.0 released. See post #1 for details.

Now I will work on the sextant some more. Sammi79 sent me a .dds file for the sextant along with directions for it. Have to see if I can implement it now
Hello TDW
i send you the menu.txt french v5.9.0

For the problem depth under the keel, i always have this message at the surface
4706=Depth under keel is below safety depth!

and never this one, for me the real deph under the keel
4705=Depth under keel is %.0f %s, captain!

It is possible to go down -150 meters where i ask this depth.
pfeillant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-10, 03:57 PM   #5628
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Hi , i am able to do a celestial fix in medium fog . Any thoughts .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-10, 04:50 PM   #5629
SashaKA001
中国水兵

Downloads: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
Ideas
Can be done so that the fog was a little less, that is really me (real time not game) I play 5 - 5,5 hours and all this time the fog, the average fog. You can do so over the 5 hours of game was not how many times the weather changes.
Example: fog, light rain, overcast, light fog, rain and mist, overcast with rain, light, fog, and so on.
SashaKA001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-10, 05:06 PM   #5630
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
Any type of rain, overcast, or heavy fog are the only things that currently prevent the Navigator from taking a celestial fix.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-10, 05:09 PM   #5631
col_Kurtz
XO

Downloads: 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaKA001 View Post
Ideas
Can be done so that the fog was a little less, that is really me (real time not game) I play 5 - 5,5 hours and all this time the fog, the average fog. You can do so over the 5 hours of game was not how many times the weather changes.
Example: fog, light rain, overcast, light fog, rain and mist, overcast with rain, light, fog, and so on.
What about snowing? I`m serious with this. Just courious, is it possible to add snowing in the winter?

Whoops, sorry. Not that thread :/

DRM it`s a horror, horror... col. Kurtz Apocalypse Now
WinXP Pro SP3 2x1GB Geil 800Mhz DDR2, ATI 4850 Asus Top, E2160 1.80 Ghz overlocked to 2.79Ghz MoBo Asus P5b
col_Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-10, 05:36 PM   #5632
SashaKA001
中国水兵

Downloads: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by col_Kurtz View Post
What about snowing? I`m serious with this. Just courious, is it possible to add snowing in the winter?

Whoops, sorry. Not that thread :/
also would not hurt
SashaKA001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-10, 06:16 PM   #5633
Jaeger
Chief

Downloads: 28

as i stated in another thread: it would be better if the mod defines these weather conditions, which are needed for a celestial fix. f. ex.: celestial fix is only available, when sun is shining at sunset, sunrise and high noon (conditions for a day fix) or when stars are visible (for the night fixes). in each other weather conditions, celestial fix should not work. this will reduce the time windows when celestial navigation is possible.
Old 12-26-10, 07:00 PM   #5634
Obelix
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 124
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
Hi TDW

I am getting some errors when attacking a convoy.
When I lock on and set up a solution then switch to a different target I get the following error http://img149.imageshack.us/i/errorwsp.png/
I also get this same error, although the is installed patch 2. Error started to appear when I hover the periscope / UZO on any ship.
Old 12-26-10, 10:21 PM   #5635
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
Sorry no - Just 5.9.0 I will update

EDIT: still getting them after patch. I think its with the torp est time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
I also get this same error, although the is installed patch 2. Error started to appear when I hover the periscope / UZO on any ship.
v5.9.0 patch 3 released. This patch addresses the error posted above. See post #1 for details
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-10, 06:25 AM   #5636
col_Kurtz
XO

Downloads: 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaKA001 View Post
also would not hurt
Yeah... But I am afraid that the W_clear finished work definitely on his mod

DRM it`s a horror, horror... col. Kurtz Apocalypse Now
WinXP Pro SP3 2x1GB Geil 800Mhz DDR2, ATI 4850 Asus Top, E2160 1.80 Ghz overlocked to 2.79Ghz MoBo Asus P5b
col_Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-10, 07:02 AM   #5637
Vanilla
Lieutenant

Downloads: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
as i stated in another thread: it would be better if the mod defines these weather conditions, which are needed for a celestial fix. f. ex.: celestial fix is only available, when sun is shining at sunset, sunrise and high noon (conditions for a day fix) or when stars are visible (for the night fixes). in each other weather conditions, celestial fix should not work. this will reduce the time windows when celestial navigation is possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Any type of rain, overcast, or heavy fog are the only things that currently prevent the Navigator from taking a celestial fix.
My opinion is that conditions coded in by TDW simulate navigators' ability pretty closely to real-life: in RL you don't have to wait for noon / sunset/ sunrise - you can recalculate it for the hour. And as long as the sun is visible through the clouds - it will do for the sake of navigation.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-10, 07:11 AM   #5638
Vanilla
Lieutenant

TDW, you gave examples of dead-reckoning error calculation - do you calculate it based on the distance travelled from the previous celestial fix? I was thinking about the dead-reckoning and it's jumped to my mind that we can compound the previous error directly by simple addition of previous error's X and Y meters to the new error. That will simulate RL navigation much more closely than doing compounding indirectly by adding previous error percentage to new one: in RL your new measurement precision is not affected by the previous one and nav error is compounded due to the fact that you draw new path line from a 'wrong' position given by previous fix - that is you retain your X and Y error from it. This way we also avoid the need to distinguish whether previous fix was celestial or dead-reckoning - just add its error to the new dead-reckoning fix and that's it.

For example:
Code:
fix 1:
 distance travelled from the last fix = 48891m
 error% = 0.025
 errorX = 240m
 errory = 1018m

fix 2:
distance travelled from the last fix  = 68128m
error% = 0.1058
errorX = 5468m + X error from the previous fix: 240m = 5708m
errory = 4712m + Y error from the previous fix: 1018m = 5730m

Last edited by Vanilla; 12-27-10 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-27-10, 07:38 AM   #5639
Vanilla
Lieutenant

Another question I would like to ask is it possible to automate nav fixes?
Here is the idea:
The game simulates what captain should be doing so removing navigator almost completely making him just providing fixes is putting to much burden on the captain. Why don't we make it this way:
1. During normal travel the navigator makes dead-reckoning fixes automatically at predefined periods (say, every hour) and when some events happen: dive / battle-stations ordered, turn or speed change ordered or when Kaleun requests a fix. Error is compounded directly (as in my prev. post).
2. When the navigator makes a new fix - draw a line from the last fix to the new one - so you can actually see your path.
3. At some points of the day: sunset, sunrise, noon, midnight - automatically make a celestial fix putting it on the map following the rules as above.
3. When on battle stations - radically shorten fixes period: make it every 1 or 5 minutes or when course/speed/depth change ordered. So you can check your posit under DC attack etc.
4. Disable celestial fix when on battle stations (I cannot imagine navigator going up with sextant and shouting 'Mark!!!' during deck gun action or manoeuvring into position for surface torpedo attack).

By the way is it possible to order battle stations simultaneously with crash dive?
Old 12-27-10, 07:50 AM   #5640
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

An automation script could plot the celestial fix and dead-reckoning fixes as you discribe.
I think there would need to be a second auto script for battle staations.
This would mean you would have to stop normal fixes and start the dead reckoning one when you need it.

Tags
dbrn, favorite, new ui