Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-03-20, 07:23 PM   #5626
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidman View Post
Rubbish, it's not the WHO's fault. On the contrary the organization tries to set international standards for monitoring pandemic events:
I never said that it was the WHO's fault, what I do blame them for is in believing a communist regime that will do anything it can to protect its own reputation.

It was in late December that I first heard chatter about a possible virus outbreak in Wuhan China.
The Chinese government formally notified the World Health Organization on January 3rd that a new respiratory disease had been discovered in Wuhan.

The Chinese government and the WHO also downplayed growing concerns about whether the disease could be transmitted readily between humans. Speaking at a press conference in Geneva on January 14, Maria Van Kerkhove, acting head of the WHO’s emerging diseases unit, was quoted by Reuters as saying there had been “limited human-to-human transmission” in Wuhan.
The WHO scrambled to clarify Dr Van Kerkhove’s reported comments, saying she had only mentioned that human transmission was “possible” and “may” be occurring. “There was a misunderstanding at the press briefing,” the WHO told the FT that day. “Preliminary investigations conducted by the authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission.” Another six days would pass before Zhong Nanshan, a Chinese epidemiologist and a government adviser, finally confirmed in an interview with state media on January 20 that the virus could actually spread between people.

What were the WHO doing from January 3rd to January the 20th, that press meeting on Jan 14 says it all me thinks, the WHO leadership sounds as if they're a bunch of incompetents instead of a global professional body.
Old 12-03-20, 07:45 PM   #5627
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
My comment wasn't about me,
I know, and I did not mean to give you the impression that I was "targetting" you.
Old 12-04-20, 07:04 AM   #5628
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control

An agency of the European Union

As of 04 December 2020,

13 680 014 cases have been reported in the EU/EEA and the UK and rising.

339 409 deaths have been reported in the EU/EEA and the UK. Setting another world record increase of 4,428 deaths since yesterday and rising.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-20, 07:05 AM   #5629
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Dr Anthony Fauci, the top US infectious disease expert, has apologised for remarks that seemed to criticise the UK's vaccine approval process.

"I have a great deal of confidence in what the UK does both scientifically and from a regulator standpoint," Dr Fauci told the BBC on Thursday.

The UK on Wednesday became the first country in the world to approve the Pfizer vaccine for the coronavirus.

It has defended the rapid approval and said the jab is safe and effective.

Dr Fauci on Wednesday had told Fox News that the UK did not review the vaccine "as carefully" as US health regulators, although he implied that the US would quickly also be in a position to approve a vaccine. "We'll be there. We'll be there very soon," he added.

He later told CBS News that the UK had "rushed" the approval, but on Thursday he walked back the comments, and said there was "no judgement on the way the UK did it".

"Our process is one that takes more time than it takes in the UK. And that's just the reality," Dr Fauci told the BBC. "I did not mean to imply any sloppiness even though it came out that way."

The UK medicines regulator - MHRA - said it had "rigorously assessed the data in the shortest time possible, without compromising the thoroughness of our review" - adding that it reviewed preliminary data on the vaccine trials dating back to June and had been running a "rolling review" since October which helped speed the process.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55177948

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-20, 07:09 AM   #5630
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The UK is "confident" it will have 800,000 coronavirus vaccine doses by next week, with immunisations starting on Tuesday.

The first consignment of Pfizer/BioNTech's vaccine arrived in the UK on Thursday - with a total of 40 million doses on order.

The business secretary called Britain's medical regulator "absolutely meticulous", as US diseases expert Dr Anthony Fauci apologised for appearing to criticise it.

Meanwhile, US President-elect Joe Biden has said he will ask Americans to wear masks for his first 100 days in office.

The French PM has called for the “biggest number possible” to get themselves vaccinated in an “altruistic act” to fight Covid-19

From Friday evening, pubs, restaurants and cafes in Wales will be banned from serving alcohol - and will have to close at 18:00 GMT every evening.

Old 12-04-20, 07:16 AM   #5631
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Figures just released estimate that one in every 105 people (about 520,000) in homes in England had coronavirus in the week leading up to 28 November.
That amounts to 26,000 new infections a day, according to the Office for National Statistics.
Infection rates are falling across all regions of England - apart from the North East - and among all age groups.

French Prime Minister Jean Castex has called for the “biggest number possible” to get themselves vaccinated in an “altruistic act” to fight Covid-19. It comes after one survey found only 51% of French people said they would get the vaccine. France's three-step strategy will start with nursing homes and carers in January, followed by the elderly and health workers, and finally everyone else in the spring. The government says a maximum of 6 adults can meet for the Christmas holiday and it has put back the winter sales to 20 January.

Austria has started mass testing for everyone over six this morning - in Vienna, and the regions of Tyrol and Vorarlberg. Testing in the capital is taking place at 80 test stations and most other regions will do their testing the following weekend. The Canary Islands are also offering free tests in Spain for residents and students who want to come back to the archipelago for Christmas.

The Swiss government will decide today whether ski holidays will be allowed over Christmas. Resorts are already open but Germany, France and Italy are pushing the Swiss to keep them shut and Austria has severely limited access to its resorts.

Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte has told Italians that this Christmas will be different from all the others but “no less authentic”– as movement between regions is restricted from 21 December to 6 January. A record 993 deaths were reported on Thursday and officials say one in every 36 Italians has had the virus.

Infections are falling in Spain, where the level of cases is now around 250 per 100,000 people over the past two weeks, according to the health ministry. Another 254 deaths were reported yesterday.

Old 12-04-20, 12:52 PM   #5632
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 12-04-20, 01:00 PM   #5633
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 12-04-20, 02:45 PM   #5634
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 12-04-20, 02:48 PM   #5635
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
I never said that it was the WHO's fault, what I do blame them for is in believing a communist regime that will do anything it can to protect its own reputation.
Agreed, but this is not limited to so called communist regimes (the PR of China is not a communist regime, it is a one party dictatorship with a very special flavor of a planned economy).

Quote:
It was in late December that I first heard chatter about a possible virus outbreak in Wuhan China.
The Chinese government formally notified the World Health Organization on January 3rd that a new respiratory disease had been discovered in Wuhan.
And in the meantime SARS-Cov2 has been found in numerous blood preservations in the US from donations that took place in early December 2019. So maybe the story of the Spanish flu (site of origin was Haskell County, Kansas) is repeating itself, and the Wuhan virus came into existence somewhere outside China.

Quote:
What were the WHO doing from January 3rd to January the 20th, that press meeting on Jan 14 says it all me thinks, the WHO leadership sounds as if they're a bunch of incompetents instead of a global professional body.
You are judging incidents that took place in the past with todays knowledge about the plague. Although this is a common human shortcoming, it doesn't help at all. There is no doubt that almost all administrations of all countries have made mistakes fighting COVID and the WHO have failed too. But there is no evidence that the organization purposely has retained data or misused results to shroud the role of the PR of China or to avert suspicion.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)
skidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-20, 03:09 PM   #5636
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

@ skidman

are you still the only subsim member to be tested as positive for Covid-19 and recovered?
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-20, 03:27 PM   #5637
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidman View Post
Agreed, but this is not limited to so called communist regimes (the PR of China is not a communist regime, it is a one party dictatorship with a very special flavor of a planned economy).

A one party dictatorship that calls itself the Chinese Communist Party.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-20, 03:58 PM   #5638
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
A one party dictatorship that calls itself the Chinese Communist Party.

Silly me, here I thinking everyone in the world already knew that.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-20, 04:17 PM   #5639
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Silly me, here I thinking everyone in the world already knew that.

I blame it on societies excessive use of acronyms. To the uninformed and the willingly blind apologists we see here on the forum the "CCP" means something like the "Chinese Cookie Patrol" or the "Cantonese Cat Park" etc. Anything but the most deadly evil regime that the world has ever known.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-20, 04:23 PM   #5640
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
@ skidman
are you still the only subsim member to be tested as positive for Covid-19 and recovered?
Well that is a misconception on your side, I've tested negative three times (1st because I had a little inflammation that caused fever, 2nd because one of our customers made it mandatory, 3rd because my boss's daughter brought back a little souvenir from her holiday).

So my current status is all green, despite two lower risk contacts (whatever that means. I'm still using public transport, those contacts come and go).

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)

Last edited by skidman; 12-04-20 at 04:59 PM.
skidman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan