SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-16-20, 07:37 AM   #5386
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Moderna (USA) reports great success with its own vaccine project, quoting a protection rate of 94%. The decisive difference, imo, to that of Biontech and Pfizer is that it must not be stored at -70°C, which imo raises a nightmare of logistical hurdles. An ordinary freezer is sufficient.

Both are mRNA vaccines.

I think that in the second half of 2021 we will feel that things indeed are moving out of the dark valley and back towards normal. Biontech'S CEO, owner, founder and lead developer also said somethign that by the end of 2021 things will be back to almost normal.

Which means we are somewhere around half time now.

Meanwhile, knoweldge and treatment for Sars-Cov-2 have increased dramatically, what poses problems now is not lackign knoweldge, but lack of ressources - namely personell.
Old 11-16-20, 07:39 AM   #5387
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

This is good news.

After Pfizer Biontech with 90 percent, the russian vaccine at 92, and this one at 94 we'll be at 110 at no time

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-20, 08:12 AM   #5388
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidman View Post
When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.
(Socrates)

slander is when one speaks an untruth about another.

What I stated was of the science of statistical mathematics coupled with what I thought was very obvious overt sarcasm poking fun at what I have perceived of others here. Just because you're overly sensitive and got a bad case of butthurt because of it doesn't make what I said slanderous or untrue. Truthfully the color of the pot and the kettle are quite similar even in the land of Merkelreich.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 11-16-20 at 08:31 AM.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-20, 08:14 AM   #5389
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
This is good news.

After Pfizer Biontech with 90 percent, the russian vaccine at 92, and this one at 94 we'll be at 110 at no time
It wouldn't surprise me if Oxford make an announcement soon, topping the 94.5%

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-20, 08:24 AM   #5390
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if Oxford make an announcement soon, topping the 94.5%
Moderna sits in Oxford, Massachusettes.
Old 11-16-20, 08:26 AM   #5391
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 11-16-20, 08:29 AM   #5392
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

A new vaccine that protects against Covid-19 is nearly 95% effective, early data from US company Moderna shows.

However, it is not yet clear how long the immunity will last, or how well it works with older age groups.

Meanwhile, a major trial of a vaccine to protect against Covid has launched in the UK - the third such trial in the country.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson is self-isolating after coming into contact with an MP who later tested positive for coronavirus.

UK government says it hopes testing will allow all care home to admit visitors by Christmas.

Dentists warn of an oral health crisis after 19,000 dental treatments were missed in the UK

The states of Michigan and Washington bring in strict measures as cases in the US top 11 million.

South Australian authorities say they are facing a "dangerous situation" after reporting 18 coronavirus cases in the state's first outbreak since April.

There have been more than 54 million coronavirus cases and 1.3 million deaths across the world, according to Johns Hopkins University data.

Old 11-16-20, 08:37 AM   #5393
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

German Chancellor Angela Merkel will urge regional leaders to adopt these measures nationally: mask-wearing in schools at all times for teachers and all age groups; smaller class sizes; individuals from one household should meet publicly with no more than two from another household – the current limit is 10. Germany is already under partial lockdown, with bars, restaurants and entertainment venues shut.

There is some encouraging news from France, which remains under a strict lockdown. Health Minister Olivier Véran says the infection rate has fallen in the past 10 days, “which suggests we have passed a peak in the epidemic”, but he warned: "We have not won against the virus yet"

In Russia, official data indicates a new record number of new cases in the past 24 hours: 22,778 – a quarter of whom were asymptomatic. It brings the Russian total to nearly two million, and more than 33,000 have died.

Radio Sweden reports that 13 of Sweden's 40 mink farms now have coronavirus outbreaks, but the government does not plan to shut down the mink fur industry.

In Denmark, a mass cull is under way in mink farms.

A full lockdown takes effect in Austria from midnight. Households will be restricted to meeting just one person from another household. All schools will shut. Only essential shops, medical facilities and public transport will remain open - nearly all other public places will shut.

Greece has shut all schools until December, in a further lockdown tightening. It already has a night curfew.

India has announced a new 12-point plan in the capital Delhi, including more ICU beds and doubling the amount of testing, to tackle a growing number of cases.

Old 11-16-20, 08:41 AM   #5394
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Moderna sits in Oxford, Massachusettes.
Oxford University ya daft bugga

Old 11-16-20, 09:03 AM   #5395
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Adding a little more information on the Mink-gate here in Denmark

Have only taken a part of the article

"On Saturday, Ekstra Bladet(Danish tabloid paper) was able to tell how the Army last week trooped up in full combat uniform on the mink breeder Torben Glassau Jensen's farm in Juelsminde.

Now the case has consequences for Minister of Defense Trine Bramsen (S), who has been called in consultation by the Conservative People's Party.

This is what the party's political spokesman, Marcus Knuth, tells Ekstra Bladet.

- One thing is the government's illegal order to kill all mink, sick and healthy. But to send the Army into people's property without legal authority to do so and not withdraw them when one finds out that the order is illegal is a disgrace, Knuth says.
"
As mentioned before, the situation is truly absurd.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-20, 08:33 PM   #5396
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

My wife once lived in Oxford Massachusetts. I took her away to sunny Rehoboth but all that aside, Moderna is based out of Cambridge,....... Massachusetts!

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-20, 07:08 AM   #5397
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 11-17-20, 08:02 AM   #5398
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon will announce at 14:20 whether the strictest Covid rules will be imposed in the west of the country.

She said on Monday it was "likely" that some areas would move into level four.

A government minister, Robert Jenrick, says England's post-lockdown tier system is being "reviewed", after an adviser said it may need to be tougher.

The number of weekly deaths in England and Wales mentioning Covid-19 on the death certificate reaches highest level since May.

US President-elect Joe Biden has warned Donald Trump's refusal to hand over power to him in the usual way could cost lives amid the pandemic.

A number of US states have imposed new restrictions as cases in the US top 11 million.

EasyJet has reported its first annual loss in its 25-year history as the pandemic continues to bite deeply into the airline industry.

Old 11-17-20, 08:08 AM   #5399
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

There have now been more than 55 million coronavirus cases and 1.3 million deaths across the world, according to the latest data collated by Johns Hopkins University.

Schools and shops classed as non-essential have shut this morning as Austria’s new lockdown rules have come into force. You can only leave home to drive to work, buy basic goods, seek medical care or take exercise. Contact is reserved for relatives who see each other regularly.

An Italian athlete has been fined €400 (£360) for breaking Covid rules after his friend fell into a ravine and died as they ran in mountains near the Swiss border. Simone Massetti, 34, fell 200m (650ft), Corriere della Sera reports. Under current regulations in force in the region, you aren't allowed to travel outside your local area.

Denmark’s political parties have backed the government’s controversial plan to cull the country’s entire mink population. A ban on breeding mink will last until December 2021. But there is still a question mark over the political fate of agriculture minister Mogens Jensen, with one leading political figure calling the mink cull Denmark's biggest political scandal in recent years.

Infections may be falling in Germany but there has been a sharp rise in daily deaths - 267 have been reported in the past 24 hours. Now Chancellor Angela Merkel has warned Germans to avoid any contacts that aren’t absolutely necessary. "Infection numbers aren't growing exponentially anymore, but are still far too high. So we have to reduce contacts," she said this morning.

France has recorded another 508 deaths in 24 hours but Health Minister Olivier Véran says there are signs of improvement. He's held out the hope of relatives meeting up for Christmas, saying this morning: "What we very clearly want is obviously to let France spend Christmas and the New Year with families."

Israel is reopening shopping centres and hotels in the popular winter tourist resorts of Eilat and the southern Dead Sea, as it continues to emerge from its second national lockdown.

Old 11-17-20, 08:14 AM   #5400
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

As of 17 November 2020,

10 908 028 cases have been reported in the EU/EEA and the UK and rising

270 664 deaths have been reported in the EU/EEA and the UK and rising

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan