SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-12-11, 01:21 AM   #526
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar19681 View Post
Can someone tell me why i get a ctd when starting a new career? It load after i click new career then i hear the sound of the bunker en then bam ctd. Mod was installed by the book plus patch. I double double checked but no luck.
This may help:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=458

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 03:08 AM   #527
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Hi,
i think he does not mean a ctd, the sim just stops in mid-game as if you hit the pause button - but you cannot wake it up again. Happened to me 3 times in 4 sessions. Sometimes right at the beginning, sometimes after roughly 30 minutes. It may be too graphically too demanding with the enhancemennts, especially when you are in harbour regions - will tone the graphic settings down and see ..
I It did not happen with the vanliia, and other mods - only after the OpusMagnum one - i hope we find why this happens, the mod is phantastic -
Greetings,
Catfish
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 03:49 AM   #528
Farinhir
Loader

Downloads: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
What do you mean by locks up? If it's the infamous "display driver stopped responding and recovered" error, I found the best cure to it (I have a GTX 260) is to turn Triplebuffering on and switch the power scheme from Adaptive to Performance. Hope this helps
This is referred to as a TDR Error (Timeout Detection and Recovery) and is a windows issue most of the time. I have it also on some programs (even running stock clocks). If it happens I just shut down all 3d apps, turn off SLI (to reset clocks) and reactivate it again.

Now I stated that it is a windows issue most of the time, but that does not mean it is not able to be fixed through some troubleshooting. See THIS THREAD for more information. (applies to both ATI and nVidia users)

Now they mention that if it is the GPU overheating you can use EVGA's precision tool. While I do not mind that tool for overclocking, it lacks in its ability to dynamically change the fan speed based on the temp of the GPU. For that reason I recommend RivaTuner and THIS GUIDE to set it up.

Now I would add one more piece of advice to that guide. I had an issue with my fan profiles not always loading at startup (not sure why) so I created schedule rules also. I setup that it would start each GPU fan's profile at start. Then I also set it up to start the fan profile on "hardware monitoring threshold event" and chose that the profile should launch in case my temp crosses 62C in an upward direction (getting hotter). By using this, rather than a constant fan speed, I am able to keep my fans at a nice an tame level while also keeping my temps below 65C (for the most part).

Just some tips to eradicate that TDR (somewhat).
Old 01-12-11, 06:44 AM   #529
titidinca
Watch

Downloads: 406

Quote:
Originally Posted by titidinca View Post
BIG Problem :

when I'm under water can not mark target! Lock-break does not work ( though it is enabled to appear ) and target can not mark with the key space!

Magnum_Opus_v0_0_1
Magnum_Opus_v0_0_2
nVidia missing lights
Shadow Improvement ModLR
sobers base fog mechanics for SH5 V1
Enhanced FunelSmoke_by HanSolo78
Open_Horizons
NewUIs_TDC_6_3_0_jimimadrids_map_tools
NewUIs_TDC_6_3_0_WWIIInterface_by_naights
NewUIs_TDC_6_3_0_No_contact_shapes_or_colors_no_co ntact_line
MRP_4_3_ratio
MRP 8x5 ratio
German U-Boat Hydrophone SFX
U-Boat Propulsion SFX
Unterseeboot II SFX
MightyFine Crew Mod 1.2.1 Alt faces
Speech fixes and additions (german version)
DBSM_Speech_1_0_4
NewUIs_TDC_6_3_0_Real_Navigation
NewUIs_TDC_6_3_4_Real_Navigation

nobody has had this problem? how the hell I mark the target?
I received this error: " UpdateDigitalClock exception ! "
titidinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 10:02 AM   #530
oscar19681
Admiral

Downloads: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post

Yes but this require,s you to enter the bunker en THEN save the career and restart the game. Since i get the ctd BEFORE i can get into the bunker its of no use to me. I also tried loading the newly created career , still ctd. Thanks anyway ill keep searching.

Jim Morrison 1943-1971

Last edited by oscar19681; 01-12-11 at 10:20 AM.
oscar19681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 10:04 AM   #531
oscar19681
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Hi,
i think he does not mean a ctd, the sim just stops in mid-game as if you hit the pause button - but you cannot wake it up again. Happened to me 3 times in 4 sessions. Sometimes right at the beginning, sometimes after roughly 30 minutes. It may be too graphically too demanding with the enhancemennts, especially when you are in harbour regions - will tone the graphic settings down and see ..
I It did not happen with the vanliia, and other mods - only after the OpusMagnum one - i hope we find why this happens, the mod is phantastic -
Greetings,
Catfish
Actually i do mean a CTD . I get it when starting a career before i can enter the bunker.

Jim Morrison 1943-1971
Old 01-12-11, 10:06 AM   #532
oscar19681
Admiral

Quote:
What do you mean by locks up? If it's the infamous "display driver stopped responding and recovered" error, I found the best cure to it (I have a GTX 260) is to turn Triplebuffering on and switch the power scheme from Adaptive to Performance. Hope this helps
Nope i just get kicked back to my desktop when starting a career before i enter the bunker. Doesnt seem to have anything to do with my graficscard. I dont get an error message , just a ctd.

Jim Morrison 1943-1971
Old 01-12-11, 10:32 AM   #533
dcb
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 544

I don't want to be too pushy, but really, did nobody encounter the problem I brought up in one of my previous posts?
In brief, the Uboat does not settle at the ordered depth. When I order PD (12 m) it stops at 10 meters, when I order 25 meters it stops at 22 a.s.o.
Do you have any idea how to fix this issue?
Oh, and at least one more skipper reported the same problem in this thread.
dcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 11:10 AM   #534
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 174

Quote:
I don't want to be too pushy, but really, did nobody encounter the problem I brought up in one of my previous posts?
In brief, the Uboat does not settle at the ordered depth. When I order PD (12 m) it stops at 10 meters, when I order 25 meters it stops at 22 a.s.o.
Hi! I have encountered that too but it hasn't been bugging me that much (there are lots of other things that make me mad!). I don't know if it true or correct but in my mind it's because the machinery and the motors aren't that precise. So that you have to adjust the depth manually. It might be a real bug, but for me it's not that critical. At least not yet.

Right now I'm going crazy because manning/unmanning the guns by shortcut keys makes the boat surface again even though the keys aren't mapped to surfacing in any way . Ofcourse nothing happens, but to hear the lenghty sound clip for no reason isn't just right! (If somebody knows a fix please show me where to find it, couldn't find myself...).
Rongel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 11:18 AM   #535
ustahl
Watch Officer

Downloads: 156

I had a similar situation yesterday: Installed MO 0.0.1 plus patch 2 together with a couple of additional favourite eye & ear candy mods. Made certain adjustements to options.py (from my earlier options.py). I had CTDs upon starting (or continuing) a (new) campaign even before getting into the bunker. Thought maybe the reason was a sloppily adjusted options.py.

Took a fresh (virgin) version of MO patch 2's options.py and, instead of applying earlier settings with the OptionsMigrator, I took a previously well working options.py with my favourite settings, and opened it together with the virgin options.py (from patch 2) in Winmerge. In Winmerge it was ever so easy to compare both file versions, to pinpoint the differences and thus to transfer my favourite settings. This way I made sure that the new adjusted options.py was clean from sloppy errors like possibly in the earlier CTD version. Indeed, with this 'new' options.py adjusted with Winmerge, there were no more CTDs, and all has worked well.
Old 01-12-11, 12:23 PM   #536
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618

Quote:
Of course are you not alone!
This has randomly happened to me several times - not frequently.
Sometimes the sub seems to have a will of it's own. It simply decides to slightly change the ordered depth.
When ordering PD sometimes I get the 10 meters like you. Sometimes when i expect to reach PD and I go to the obs scope it sometimes barely reaches over the surface...
BUT if I then go directly from the obs to the attack scope it works normally.
This happens even at standard speed .
Something to keep in mind is that if your speed is very low (1-2 kn) the diveplanes cannot change the depth. They need at least about 4 knots to work effectively.

///
Silent Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 12:30 PM   #537
Poacher886
Chief

Downloads: 36

I would like to able to dim all the UI to a point were its just visable. Silent hunter games have always been plagued with not being able to see Sh** at night due to, to much light around the screen and scope.

Given most attacks are at night, its absolutely vital to be able to see as clearly as possible, and having a brightly lit UI is just not needed ever. The Moded speed / range etc rings around the scope are so intrusive to my picture, its put me of attacking at night at all!

Ps. im using a spanking new HP ZR24W IPS monitor.

If theres not a mod, is there anyway i can adjust the UI brightness?

Thanks
Poacher886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 12:34 PM   #538
Bungmiester
Watch

Downloads: 33

Bugs
1, The supermark key C on the nav map is also used to toggle the compass and rudder angle Gauges.
2, Keep getting annoying radio messages every hour about a periscope being sited or enemy sub at logitude BLah de BLah latitude Blah de Blah. Can I disable this some how?
3, When I torped a merchant ship and it blew up and caught fire, i now have a strange red colour floating above the ship and on the ships water line, it disappeared when the ship sank, using standard shadows, as steel vikings shadows are a real framrate killer for me. Is this something to do with enviroment mod or TDW FX MoD.
But very impressive stuff here, thanks for all the hard work
sys spec,
win xp
4gig of Ram
nividia GTX 460
Bungmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 12:37 PM   #539
Poacher886
Chief

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by col_Kurtz View Post
D:\Games\Silent Hunter 5\MODS\Magnum_Opus_v0_0_1\data\Scripts\Menu\TheDarkW raithUserOptions.py
##################################### Ships Journal ##################################################
# ship's hull number
UboatHullNumber = "U-30"

# ship's captain name
UboatCaptainName = "Woflgang Luth"
Save as a .txt coded Unicode! Close and enable Mod
Do you need screen? For me working ok. My Kaleun, my Uboot.

"Save as a .txt coded Unicode! Close and enable Mod"

Oh, I've opened the user options in notepad, and just saved! i don't even know how to save as '.txt coded Unicode' ??

Also i edited the user options in SH5/data not MODS....seemed to work though!
Poacher886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 01:43 PM   #540
oscar19681
Admiral

Still no solution for the ctd upon starting a fresh career huh? Well it still a beta afterall. But what puzzels me is that so many people dont encounter the problem at all. Well at least not when starting a fresh career that is.

Jim Morrison 1943-1971