SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-26-12, 02:53 PM   #496
Brandmon
Swabbie

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Two thoughts:

1. Possibly your copy of OHII got corrupted during the download, or is missing some files.

2. You shouldn't be using OPEN HORIZONS II_base, OPEN HORIZONS II_enviro and OPEN HORIZONS II_New_Ships at the same time. If you want to enjoy all the features of OHII, I suggest you to enable the full version.

Whatever of the above statements is true, downloading OHII full and enabling it in place of OHII parts should fix your problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
Yes - sounds like a currupt download or install as your list looks ok other than what Gap said
Spot on. OH2 was the culprit and I simply went with the Full package, as suggested, and it did the trick.

Unfortunately the game is still crashing after loading. The exact procedure of what is happening is: I start Coastal Waters Campaign -> Loading screen -> Period of black screen -> Back to Desktop, no error messages whatsoever, Uplay still intact.

I am thinking that I missed something that I had to do when installing the mods but first I will try and isolate the problem by loading up the mods one by one rather than all at once. Can I do that? Considering that sober insists on the mod collection being installed on a fresh installation.

But to still address the possibility that I might have missed something, must I use dgbview and is the unofficial 1.3 patch necessary? I rather avoided both considering that I was rather not sure with how they worked, thus I feared that they might cause more problems by doing it wrong myself.
Brandmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-12, 02:59 PM   #497
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandmon View Post
Unfortunately the game is still crashing after loading. The exact procedure of what is happening is: I start Coastal Waters Campaign -> Loading screen -> Period of black screen -> Back to Desktop, no error messages whatsoever, Uplay still intact.

I am thinking that I missed something that I had to do when installing the mods but first I will try and isolate the problem by loading up the mods one by one rather than all at once. Can I do that? Considering that sober insists on the mod collection being installed on a fresh installation.

But to still address the possibility that I might have missed something, must I use dgbview and is the unofficial 1.3 patch necessary? I rather avoided both considering that I was rather not sure with how they worked, thus I feared that they might cause more problems by doing it wrong myself.
Sounds like out of memory

What are specs of your PC?

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-12, 03:13 PM   #498
Brandmon
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post
Sounds like out of memory

What are specs of your PC?
4 Gb of RAM on a Windows 7 64-bit OS. OS seems to use 1.3-1.5Gb while Idle (hatching plans to conquer the universe more like), yet it still leaves it with more than 2Gb of RAM, which I would have thought it to be more than enough. Indeed while observing the game's memory usage, it only uses up to about 1.5Gb of memory right before it crashes. So unless the OS is limited to 3Gb, it shouldn't be the problem I reckon.
Old 08-26-12, 03:23 PM   #499
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

I would follow sobers list to the letter - it is a long list of mods and im sure needs to be in the correct order.

You have patched the game to v1.2
Have you used TDWs patcher also
Have you used the options editor

With all of these things you should do them one at a time and check all is well before doing any more - that way you can see where the issue happened
Old 08-26-12, 03:29 PM   #500
Brandmon
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
I would follow sobers list to the letter - it is a long list of mods and im sure needs to be in the correct order.

You have patched the game to v1.2
Have you used TDWs patcher also
Have you used the options editor

With all of these things you should do them one at a time and check all is well before doing any more - that way you can see where the issue happened
To answer you: Yes, No and Yes.

For what would I need TDWs patcher? I found it rather confusing. And I think I used the options editor successfully except for one instance, which is the following:

Quote:
Use NewUIs_TDC_6_9_0_ByTheDarkWraith\data\Applications \OptionsFileEditorViewer
Message Box
TC1OnAnyMessageBoxText = True
Time compression
TCxOnContactDistanceEnabledTCLevel=1024
I tried finding the said options, but I didn't find them. I presumed it had to do with the version being 7_1_0 rather than 6_9_0, so I skipped it.
Old 08-26-12, 04:02 PM   #501
9thinfSword
Sailor man

Downloads: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandmon View Post
4 Gb of RAM on a Windows 7 64-bit OS. OS seems to use 1.3-1.5Gb while Idle (hatching plans to conquer the universe more like), yet it still leaves it with more than 2Gb of RAM, which I would have thought it to be more than enough. Indeed while observing the game's memory usage, it only uses up to about 1.5Gb of memory right before it crashes. So unless the OS is limited to 3Gb, it shouldn't be the problem I reckon.
For Sober's mod list 4 gig is a little low, I had the same issue at five gigs, I got some more ram and now I have 7 gigs with no problems of crashing at load up. If you look at the properties of your Mod folder you will see there is a lot data there and that just the Mods. Memory sir is your issue, Good news ram can be cheap,otherwise try removing environmental mods and any thing you can live with out. Do you have a 32 or 64 bit operating system you might be limited to 4 gigs or like me it came with a 32 bit OS even though my hardware supported a 64 bit OS, A gig extra is not a surprise as it can easily run out of memory (A file larger than a gig needs to still load) before it say your using all your available memory causing a crash at load. Windows 7 can use a lot of memory just at idle and with background programs running there is more going on than your RAM can handle.
Old 08-26-12, 09:43 PM   #502
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Windows 7
right click on the desktop
click on personalize
click on windows 7 basic
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-12, 04:36 AM   #503
Daytrader
Sailor man

Downloads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thinfSword View Post
For Sober's mod list 4 gig is a little low, I had the same issue at five gigs, I got some more ram and now I have 7 gigs with no problems of crashing at load up. If you look at the properties of your Mod folder you will see there is a lot data there and that just the Mods. Memory sir is your issue, Good news ram can be cheap,otherwise try removing environmental mods and any thing you can live with out. Do you have a 32 or 64 bit operating system you might be limited to 4 gigs or like me it came with a 32 bit OS even though my hardware supported a 64 bit OS, A gig extra is not a surprise as it can easily run out of memory (A file larger than a gig needs to still load) before it say your using all your available memory causing a crash at load. Windows 7 can use a lot of memory just at idle and with background programs running there is more going on than your RAM can handle.
What switch are useing, 3 or 4 gig switch, or dont you need to use a switch if useing a 64bit os ?, as i think i read somewhere that the switches actually reverse ram usuage ? can someone explain if we actually need to use a switch even if useing a 32bit os, as i thought the sh5.exe does allocate max ram anyway regardless off os.
Old 08-27-12, 05:33 AM   #504
Kalleblom
Lieutenant

Downloads: 74

Moin daytrader,

there´s an application called CFF Explorer. With this you can check the exe and edit. Unfortunately i don´t know hoe to use it. But the one who can, could explain if the exe is already fixed for 64bit system to use the ram.
Kalleblom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-12, 05:53 AM   #505
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalleblom View Post
Moin daytrader,

there´s an application called CFF Explorer. With this you can check the exe and edit. Unfortunately i don´t know hoe to use it. But the one who can, could explain if the exe is already fixed for 64bit system to use the ram.
small tutorial

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
Old 08-27-12, 06:06 AM   #506
Daytrader
Sailor man

Thx both of you, so it seems we need to still use the switches regardless then.
Old 08-27-12, 06:12 AM   #507
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytrader View Post
Thx both of you, so it seems we need to still use the switches regardless then.
First you should check your exe-file.

Old 08-27-12, 06:28 AM   #508
Kalleblom
Lieutenant

Downloads: 74

Great volodya61.

Thx, that will bring some light into dark

@daytrader.
at the moment I can only confirm that for me sobers mod list run properly without using the 4gig switch. But i will check the exe next time with the CFF Explorer. For me it seems that the 4gig switch is not to use for the sh5.exe to run more than 2GB of Ram.

Last edited by Kalleblom; 08-27-12 at 06:39 AM.
Kalleblom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-12, 07:21 AM   #509
Daytrader
Sailor man

Cheers again guys.
Old 08-27-12, 01:36 PM   #510
potus
Seaman

Downloads: 80

Not that i don't appreciate all the help been given here by people already.
but i am still messing up somewhere

so would somebody be kind enough to hop into my teamspeak3 channel to help me further out with some stuff? please contact me for the ip and password
potus is offline   Reply With Quote